• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

I love Storm. I think it's probably the best of the new maps, with Bailout close behind. I also agree that Crash is overrated; in fact, Overgrown and Crash are probably my least favorite of the new maps.

Actually, now that I think about it, Storm and Bailout are probably my favorite maps in the whole game at this point. But we'll see if that sticks. Skidrow used to be my favorite until the spawn unbalancing became apparent. It's possible that the new maps will fall victim to that sort of thing as well.

kuYuri

I think you have to have some nostalgia for Crash and Overgrown to really enjoy them.

Linkzg said:
I know, but it was already downloaded. It seems like it is downloading the entire 12 gigs again.

Oh ok, it's free weekend on Steam again.

To be honest, I don't know. I had that problem on first free weekend and I had to redownload it because some localization file or whatever was missing. Redownloading fixed it.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
It can't be said enough how painful leveling is before you get a stinger/coldblooded.

Absolutely and utterly painful.

Nizz

Cerrius said:
It can't be said enough how painful leveling is before you get a stinger/coldblooded.

I'm finding out for myself for a third time. I figured with the double xp week, if there was ever a time to prestige again this would be it. I'm hoping to go through this third prestige and most of the fourth one at least. Going to stop at fifth prestige.

But those first couple of levels are painful without stingers/cold blooded. :(

Dresden

Cerrius said:

AT4/RPD with Stopping Power Pro is like the ghetto anti air build. :lol Just hit once with the AT, then pump it full of lead. When it's clear no one on your team is going to take down that fucking Harrier, you gotta do what you gotta do.

purple cobra said:
I'm finding out for myself for a third time. I figured with the double xp week, if there was ever a time to prestige again this would be it. I'm hoping to go through this third prestige and most of the fourth one at least. Going to stop at fifth prestige.

But those first couple of levels are painful without stingers/cold blooded. :(
I'm playing pretty much strictly S&D, just prestiged again last night - 2,000 XP per head shot is amazing - and boy do I miss Ninja/Ninja Pro.

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
I love Storm. I think it's probably the best of the new maps, with Bailout close behind. I also agree that Crash is overrated; in fact, Overgrown and Crash are probably my least favorite of the new maps.

Actually, now that I think about it, Storm and Bailout are probably my favorite maps in the whole game at this point. But we'll see if that sticks. Skidrow used to be my favorite until the spawn unbalancing became apparent. It's possible that the new maps will fall victim to that sort of thing as well.
No love for Salvage? That's my favorite in the pack, with Storm (for sniping) and Bailout (for ridiculously cheap but easy spawn camping) on a shared second place. Then Crash and finally Overgrown. Crash is all right but it's incredibly campy - not only the three-story house but also the two-story on the other side of the crashed heli and also the one up in one team's spawn. People have started camping it less than when the maps first came out, but it's still pretty bad. A sniper camping the bombed-out two-story has view over almost every chokepoint in the map and he can be a massive pain in the ass. Overgrown has the same problem except everywhere is a sniper perch!

The nice part about Overgrown is that in Demolition, it's a total Javelin killfest! If you start on the attacking team, immediately fire a javelin at the red house at the end of the road (i.e. the gas station) and you score a guaranteed kill every time. :D

kuYuri

Apparently, this is the OMA tweak PS3 (PC?) players got with latest patch:

Patch 1.10 increases the time taken to switch classes by using One Man Army each time if used more than once per-life, by one second (11 seconds max).

aku:jiki said:
No love for Salvage? That's my favorite in the pack, with Storm (for sniping) and Bailout (for ridiculously cheap but easy spawn camping) on a shared second place. Then Crash and finally Overgrown. Crash is all right but it's incredibly campy - not only the three-story house but also the two-story on the other side of the crashed heli and also the one up in one team's spawn. People have started camping it less than when the maps first came out, but it's still pretty bad. A sniper camping the bombed-out two-story has view over almost every chokepoint in the map and he can be a massive pain in the ass. Overgrown has the same problem except everywhere is a sniper perch!

The nice part about Overgrown is that in Demolition, it's a total Javelin killfest! If you start on the attacking team, immediately fire a javelin at the red house at the end of the road (i.e. the gas station) and you score a guaranteed kill every time. :D

I agree about Salvage. It's easily one of the best maps in the game and by far my favorite of the new map pack. I like Storm and Overgrown in most modes too. I'm not a huge fan of Crash. Bailout is a terrible map though, even when you're dominating at it. The only match I've ever enjoyed on it was a Free For All match that ended up with only 3 players for the majority of the match. Though I imagine all the maps are much better with less people playing. I don't hate it enough to vote to skip it most of the time, but I don't mourn the fact that it still ends up being skipped more often than not.

jiien

divisionbyzorro said:
Clever. I wonder if it's like this on 360.

When I bought the map pack yesterday on the PS3, it forced me to update to version 1.10. I assume it's similar for the 360. Do the version numbers match across platforms? If so, then that tweak may already be in place.

I rarely use OMA as it is, so I that may be why I haven't noticed the change.

Also, I'd be more interested to see how that change is in practice. It sounds nice, but it also sounds like it may punish "legitimate" uses for OMA just as much as tubing. If you want to keep switching between an LMG and a Sniper Rifle, for some reason, your strategy will eventually suffer greatly, the longer you're still alive.

Hanmik said:
it´s the best mode for Xp normally yes. But why is it good in Double XP week..?

the thing is, that demolition gives great Match bonus.. but that isn´t doubled.. .. or Am I missing something here..?

A quick example:

Demolition: (an average game)
You kill 20 people: 1000xp x 2 = 2000xp
Defuse or plant 3 bombs: 300xp x 2 = 600xp
Final Score : 2600 xp + challenges and match bonuses (which do not double)

Search & Destroy: (an average game)
You kill 5 people like normal: 2500xp x 2 = 5000xp
You kill 1 person with headshot: 1000xp x 2 = 2000xp
You defuse or plant 2 bombs: 2000xp x 2 = 4000xp
Final score: 11.000xp + challenges and match bonuses (which do not double)

if you want a score for kills in Demolition that equals a 5 kill game in S&D, you need to kill 50 people.. I know it´s easy to get that amount of kills, but I just think it´s even easier in S&D to get 5 kills.. The top players in an S&D game normally have 12+ kills, thats 12.000 xp not counting the possible headshots.. and the top players in a normal Demolition game, gets around 50+ kills... that´s only 5000xp during Double xp week.

Or Am I missing something here..?

I might be missing a lot also, since i tried Demolition for quick XP and got nothing good out of it. No noobs playing, and i got 10-12 kills on those games... i tried defending spots... but people just wouldn't go where i was:lol i don't know, something is wrong after hearing all those "you usually get 40 kills on demolition" stories. I know i suck, but... i just didn't see that many people and everytime i decided to run around a bit to find a dude i would die.

Then switched to my favorite free for all and with the average 17-22 kills i got a lot more XP.

In the end i think you have to find a game mode that you enjoy, because grinding is awful. I think those "capture the flag", "hold your position" games are just too boring. I would never make a good sniper, i can't stay on the same spot for more than 15 seconds without getting bored or worried that someone will come from behind and stab me.

S&D was fantastic at the end of my last prestige. Got to level 21 a little bit ago, nice to have Bling back. Should make getting to 29 fairly quick. I got acquainted with the AA-12 this time, boy is it awesome. Played a few rounds of FFA to get a bunch of quick kills and get the grip and I just dominated everyone. Including a couple of idiot boosters who still couldn't beat me.

foomfoom415 said:
I agree about Salvage. It's easily one of the best maps in the game and by far my favorite of the new map pack. ... Bailout is a terrible map though, even when you're dominating at it.
I agree totally. Salvage is great; lots of twisty corridors and lots of open places. Lots of paths and ways to get around -- particularly in Domination / S&D.

And Bailout... Ugh. I want to bail out every time I see it come up in the rotation. Storm I can leave or take. I don't really care for it.

kuYuri

jiien said:
When I bought the map pack yesterday on the PS3, it forced me to update to version 1.10. I assume it's similar for the 360. Do the version numbers match across platforms? If so, then that tweak may already be in place.

I rarely use OMA as it is, so I that may be why I haven't noticed the change.

Also, I'd be more interested to see how that change is in practice. It sounds nice, but it also sounds like it may punish "legitimate" uses for OMA just as much as tubing. If you want to keep switching between an LMG and a Sniper Rifle, for some reason, your strategy will eventually suffer greatly, the longer you're still alive.

No, the patch numbers don't match across platform and it's not the first time there was no equal platform parity as far as patches go.

For example, it took quite a few days longer before PS3 got infinite CP glitch permanently fixed, compared to PC and 360 version.

As far as I can tell, this OMA tweak is currently not in place for the 360 version, though I could be wrong.

kuYuri

bfl0df.jpg

One of my best (Mercenary) TDM games I've had. Damn shitty teammates. :mad:

It helped that I kept owning the same 2-3 knife runners with F2000 + M1014.

kuYuri

Brian Fellows said:
What do you mean? You guys won. Or do you mean you wish they'd have done even worse so you could have more kills?

I meant that I wanted them to do better.

It's one thing if I'm at the top, but it's another that I end up with 38 kills. That just shouldn't happen.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
See I'm a lot more selfish than you. That is like the perfect scenario to me. Everyone else does shitty so I can do great. :lol

Strider2K99 said:
I meant that I wanted them to do better.

It's one thing if I'm at the top, but it's another that I end up with 38 kills. That just shouldn't happen.
Don't worry, I get about 30+ kills every match so don't brag =]

anyways, I reached level 70 10 prestige and this game us boring now. I started the halo reach beta and it's pretty fun.

kuYuri

salva said:

anyways, I reached level 70 10 prestige and this game us boring now. I started the halo reach beta and it's pretty fun.

Well, not all of us are amazing players, including me. I'm above average at best. Besides, there are a bunch of other people who brag on a consistent basis. :p

Hanmik

salva said:

triple_brag_book.jpg

is this your book..?

Voltron64

salva said:

11qtsnb.jpg

R2D4

Banned
salva said:
Yeah

edit: I've been wanting to make a little guide here that shows how to do real good in tdm. Maybe I should do it tomorrow if any of you want it.

A guide? You put your crosshairs on someone and pull the trigger.

FUCK YEAH!!!!

I was sure I was never going to download Stimulus pack but I just happened to look finnish Pelaaja-magazines homepage and they were giving out codes... tried the last 4 and none of them worked so I gave up.. after I refreshed I saw someone putting up that he got code #2 so I tried code #3 and...

now I am dloading Stimulus pack :D

Meier

I bought the Stimulus Package and started playing again after about 6 weeks away or so. I'm having fun again but honestly, I mostly dislike these new maps. Surely I'm not the only one?

aku:jiki

Patrick Roy said:
Wouldn't all platforms be at the same patch levels? If not... :lol
I'm pretty sure IW has never managed that with this game. 360 still has bugs that were fixed on PS3 back in december, PS3 got the CP glitch fix like a week or two later than 360, 360 doesn't have that OMA fix as far as I know and 360 got to wait like 2-3 months to get the matchmaking patch PS3 got way back in winter.

In some cases, the fault lies with MS' certification process, but not in all cases...

Meier said:
I bought the Stimulus Package and started playing again after about 6 weeks away or so. I'm having fun again but honestly, I mostly dislike these new maps. Surely I'm not the only one?
Have you ever liked a new map right off the bat? I don't think I have... At least for me, the fun comes once I've begun mastering the maps. Getting killed from everywhere because you have no idea what's up is never fun.

For example, I loved Crash in CoD4 and when Stimulus first came out. I chalked all these campy kills up to me not knowing it very well, but now that I do... I've learned to fucking hate it because it's such a camp-friendly map and everybody loves to take advantage of that fact.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
salva said:
Yeah

edit: I've been wanting to make a little guide here that shows how to do real good in tdm. Maybe I should do it tomorrow if any of you want it.

Make this guide and I will read it.

zam

sn1pes said:
Does the map pack matter for someone like me that plays almost only tdm?
It entirely depends on if you want to play on new maps, if you are fine with just playing the original maps then I wouldn't see any need to get the new maps. They don't show up any more or less often in TDM than any other playlist.

I got them because I wanted more and new maps to play on.

Yeah I'd be interested, salva. In a good lobby I can struggle in TDM because most routes, flanks, choke points etc are covered easily by good players and I'd rather not just run around aimlessly with a UMP just to get a few kills. Besides, any new useful info coming in can only but help someones game.

On a related point, there is a quick map guide series machinima are doing on their youtube channel, best places for first blood etc

sn1pes said:
Does the map pack matter for someone like me that plays almost only tdm?
Hmmm. If you have a bunch of friends who bought them, you might want to consider it. I found it oddly irritating (much to Activsion's delight) the other night when one of my teammates didn't have DLC so we were stuck playing only old maps all night. I kept wanting to blurt out "DUDE, BUT THOSE FREAKING MAPS!"

But anyway, after considering it for a bit, the Bailout and Storm maps are good, Salvage and Crash tolerable, and Overgrown, well, it's just puzzling why they would include that map. I know you can't buy it for $10, but it's worth about that.

Anyone heard anything about a future date for the 2nd map pack?

I think the Stimulus pack should have been put out 2 months earlier than it was and now with the exodus at IW you've got to think that will effect the release date and ppossibly even the quality of the next batch of maps.

Ideally I'd like just one more big map pack to be released in the summer consisting of 10 maps (6 new, 4 old) for 2000 points which would take us up to October and the cod7 beta.

Spinning Plates said:

I think the Stimulus pack should have been put out 2 months earlier than it was and now with the exodus at IW you've got to think that will effect the release date and ppossibly even the quality of the next batch of maps.

Ideally I'd like just one more big map pack to be released in the summer consisting of 10 maps (6 new, 4 old) for 2000 points which would take us up to October and the cod7 beta.
They need a second map pack. Big would be awesome. COD 7 appeared on my radar, but I wiped the screen with some lint-free wipes and it disappeared. I'll be playing this thing for a while.

kuYuri

Spinning Plates said:

Bowling assures that the current IW will support with updates and DLC. Originally at least two map packs were announced, so expect at least one more.

Also, I don't think the Stimulus Package should have been out two months earlier.

Top Bottom