• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

ha1f

Probably missed it in this thread, but does anyone else ever spawn with the wrong gun? I've spawned with a freakin' Javelin in my primary slot, and its becoming a lot more frequent...

aku:jiki

ha1f said:
Probably missed it in this thread, but does anyone else ever spawn with the wrong gun? I've spawned with a freakin' Javelin in my primary slot, and its becoming a lot more frequent...
You're pressing X to respawn too fast/often when you die, and you're respawning on a dropped weapon.

Speaking of odd stuff, though, has anyone but me experienced vanishing claymores? I've been using them more and more and sometimes they're just...gone. I haven't placed too many and it hasn't blown up (you hear your own explosions even if you're very far from it), it's just gone. Happened just now on Highrise - I was by the heli and sniping, put a claymore on the stairs they normally use to get up there and 2 seconds later two guys are right on me with UMP's and I'm like WTF. :(

aku:jiki said:
You're pressing X to respawn too fast/often when you die, and you're respawning on a dropped weapon.

Speaking of odd stuff, though, has anyone but me experienced vanishing claymores? I've been using them more and more and sometimes they're just...gone. I haven't placed too many and it hasn't blown up (you hear your own explosions even if you're very far from it), it's just gone. Happened just now on Highrise - I was by the heli and sniping, put a claymore on the stairs they normally use to get up there and 2 seconds later two guys are right on me with UMP's and I'm like WTF. :(

Well I think you can have a max of 2 at once, after that they disappear. If not that, they mightve disabled it with a flash/stun, and they just ran past it. Not sure though.

ha1f

But then wouldn't my gun be at the spot where I spawned? It's nowhere to be found :C

This is the first game I've ever played where I have been punished for playing well. You get behind the entire enemy team, kill three of them, and they all spawn right where they die, making it impossible to leave the area without dying. Fantastic. Let's punish good tactics and reward incompetence.

Has there been any developer commentary on the spawns? Like, an apology, or a "We're aware of the situation, it's under review"? Certainly this can't be the way they intended to make the game. Some matches just feel like you're rolling dice and praying that you don't get fucked over by respawners. The only map that doesn't totally fuck you on spawns is Wasteland. I understand maps like Rust are going to have people spawning near you, but it's just as bad on large maps. For some reason, Derail has tons of open space, but people can only spawn in two pockets of the map. Why can't they spawn on the sides of the map? How could this have been missed by the developers?

Put all the cheap guns and campers you want into a game, but for the love of God, don't respawn people on top of their opponents. It takes away all skill and throws your life into the hands of chance.

Lionheart1827 said:
Well I think you can have a max of 2 at once, after that they disappear. If not that, they mightve disabled it with a flash/stun, and they just ran past it. Not sure though.
I am aware of the 2 claymore limit and I mean physically gone - like I'll put it down, go into the other room to reload or something very quickly, go back and it has just vanished. It happens to me pretty rarely so I'm not really bitching that hard about it, but in my experience it does happen.

Maybe it makes less noise when they shoot it out, as opposed to when they run past it? Only thing I can think of...

FutureZombie said:
This is the first game I've ever played where I have been punished for playing well. You get behind the entire enemy team, kill three of them, and they all spawn right where they die, making it impossible to leave the area without dying. Fantastic. Let's punish good tactics and reward incompetence.

Has there been any developer commentary on the spawns? Like, an apology, or a "We're aware of the situation, it's under review"? Certainly this can't be the way they intended to make the game. Some matches just feel like you're rolling dice and praying that you don't get fucked over by respawners. The only map that doesn't totally fuck you on spawns is Wasteland. I understand maps like Rust are going to have people spawning near you, but it's just as bad on large maps. For some reason, Derail has tons of open space, but people can only spawn in two pockets of the map. Why can't they spawn on the sides of the map? How could this have been missed by the developers?

Put all the cheap guns and campers you want into a game, but for the love of God, don't respawn people on top of their opponents. It takes away all skill and throws your life into the hands of chance.
Did start by saying you were killed when you were spawn camping followed by complaining that you hope you don't get spawn camped?

Both-sides-of-the-argument-at-once win :p

USD

Had a good day today, two nukes, and almost a third (my 25th kill was the game-winning kill, I was pleading with my teammates to not get kills :lol).

Hydranockz said:
Did start by saying you were killed when you were spawn camping followed by complaining that you hope you don't get spawn camped?

Flanking now equals spawn camping? Jesus I hope you never make a multiplayer game. We'd just have a long hallway where we run at each other headfirst.

USD

FutureZombie said:

There's nothing more frustrating than watching the killcam, and seeing the guy I killed five seconds ago spawned around the corner and killed me before I could finish reloading.

ScrubJay

Wasteland has been popping up so often for me lately I had to make a build just to have some kind of fun in that awful map. I made a Marathon/Cold-Blooded/Sitrep (Maybe I'll switch that out with Ninja) build with a silenced USP and an AT-4, just for the purpose of running around and killing snipers and running behind people tubing into the tunnels. It's also a good all purpose random defense build in domination to run between points and use the AT to kill people capping.

zam said:
Just played what I think is the first game ever in MW2 where the other team didn't camp, tac knife, noob tube or do any other cheap shit AND were nice in the lobby afterward, even though they lost. Makes me kinda sad that it'll probably be a long time before we come across opponents like that again.
The next map after you guys left was Crash, though...I broke the little pact and they left immediately after I triple'd them with the RPG at the beginning of round 2. :lol

FutureZombie said:
Has there been any developer commentary on the spawns? Like, an apology, or a "We're aware of the situation, it's under review"?
Probably the most frustrating thing about the game is that the spawn system isn't a mistake, at least conceptually. They wanted you to spawn close to where you died to get you right back into the action.

I can't believe they forgot the little line of code that says "if someone's too close, pick another spawn point" though. That's actually pretty incredible to me. It's like one of the most fundamental pieces of code in FPS gaming! (I know this is like my fourth time posting this exact sentiment. :lol)

Edit: What's even more frustrating to me is that I think Treyarch might actually step up to the plate after the IW fiasco and help fix MW2... They're officially an all COD studio now, and they seem to care about the community (or at least more than IW does). But there's no way in hell IW will ever let Treyarch see a line of source code. Fuckers. :(

Alucrid

Banned
I just got a message "Client Command Overflow." What is this? When I left the match I had four bars, all green and so did everyone else.

snack said:
I haven't been in Rust since the DLC came out. :(
That's a good thing. :lol

Anyways, I played for a few hours tonight, me and a friend got stuck in a room with some terrible guys. I got 50+ kills in Domination like 6 matches in a row.

Hydranockz said:

Nah, he was saying he made the effort to flank the enemy and catch them all unaware, only to be trapped when they all spawn back on him, he just wished they would spawn on the opposite side of the map after they die.

So essentially he hates spawn campers. Getting punished for pushing forward and doing well aggressivly sucks and therfore more people camp =(

snap0212

I have a question. I recently got this game for the 360 (have bought it for the PS3 at launch) and it's taking forever to find a game. About five minutes sometimes. My Nat Type is moderate but that didn't seem to be a problem on the PS3 where I could jump into games just fine.

My internet connection is not super fast but good enough to play online. Is the matchmaking on the 360 any different? Can I do something about this?

I've read that setting the NAT Type to "open" could help but why doesn't the moderate NAT influence the matchmaking on the PS3 version of this game? I also don't really know how to set NAT to open (already enabled UPnP) and my router doesn't really seem to let me change the stuff I should change.

When I finally get into a game everything is fine but shouldn't this disadvantage caused by the NAT Settings be the same on every system?

bobs99 ... said:
Nah, he was saying he made the effort to flank the enemy and catch them all unaware, only to be trapped when they all spawn back on him, he just wished they would spawn on the opposite side of the map after they die.

So that would mean they respawn where the rest of his teammates are, or at least closer to them which sucks for the entire opponent team. In your case it's an inconvenience for the one person, neither way is good but your alternative hurts more people in the long run.

snap0212

Mikasangelos said:
from what i experienced in the past, NAT settings are very important on XBOX.

bump for you.
Seems so, yeah. My Wireless Router is pretty old and in addition to that I’m using a Netbook as a network bridge. I was just wondering if there’s anything I could do about that.

I’ve also read something about “forwarding” Ports. 53, 88, 3074 (UDP) and 53,80, 3074 (TCP). So I looked up where I could do this and found this menu (see pic), and did something I don’t know anything about. :lol

I might just buy a new Router, because this thing is annoying as hell. :(

Pic here...

zero margin said:
So that would mean they respawn where the rest of his teammates are, or at least closer to them which sucks for the entire opponent team. In your case it's an inconvenience for the one person, neither way is good but your alternative hurts more people in the long run.

This is why I always play games with obvious spawn points. If I'm running around the opponent's flag in Domination, I should know that he spawns behind me. But I do agree - even in TDM, I shouldn't spawn in the perfect position for a revenge kill.

Ok so my sons finally talked me into trying some Modern Warfare 2 because they really want to play with me. This was my first experience with Call of Duty multiplayer in any form.

I have to say this the game really is alot of fun. I've seen some of the most skilled and skilless players ever :lol .

The only question I have from other players is really an etiquette question.

I noticed aot of camping going on...is it fully acceptable or should it be limited to a point. I noticed that when I moved freely through a level I suffered a little bit because I couldn't cover every corner and window. I then started picking my spots (moving into a section cautiously and finding cover and sitting for around 30 seconds), not corner or stairwell camping) like all the other players were doing getting a couple of kills and then moving on and I would usually finish in the positive k/d.

Is that poor gaming or how you play the game?

Anerythristic said:
There is zero etiquette. Other than not constantly bitching people out in the lobby, but that happens too.

Camping is now encouraged because it gets you all the wonderful kill streaks like Pavelows and AC-130s and nukes.

Last night a fellow camped a corner of the living room in the manor on Estate during a demolition match and got 31 kills in a row so he could get a nuke. Funny thing is, I encountered him twice or three times and tried to shoot him with a .45 (to build up my pistol numbers) and died each time, helping him out with his streak. :lol

But yeah, is it poor etiquette to camp during an objective game (non-deathmatch)? I think so. Doesn't mean it will ever stop.

mr_boo

Anerythristic said:
Ok so my sons finally talked me into trying some Modern Warfare 2 because they really want to play with me. This was my first experience with Call of Duty multiplayer in any form.

I have to say this the game really is alot of fun. I've seen some of the most skilled and skilless players ever :lol .

I noticed aot of camping going on...is it fully acceptable or should it be limited to a point. I noticed that when I moved freely through a level I suffered a little bit because I couldn't cover every corner and window. I then started picking my spots (moving into a section cautiously and finding cover and sitting for around 30 seconds), not corner or stairwell camping) like all the other players were doing getting a couple of kills and then moving on and I would usually finish in the positive k/d.

Is that poor gaming or how you play the game?
In respect to "camping", even if it may bother me at times, I think "camping" is fair game - the problem I have most, is when someone is using OMA w Claymores to camp...at that point, it's somewhat harder to get to to him/her to end the streak. To me that's probably "camping" at it's worse. But other than that, I think it's really up to a person's level of enjoyment.

As to my personal style, I tend to shift depending on the map. In some maps like Overgrown, I think it's really advantageous to adjust and shift your position every 1-2 kills. For maps like Sub-base/Rust/Highrise/Crash/Terminal, I like to play king of the hill - they know exactly where I am and I'm bit more exposed, but I try to take good advantage of my dominant position. In other maps like Quarry/Derail/Karachi, I pull out my mobile class and it's essentially my most aggressive mode. These are all really generalities though - my mode of play also depends on how good the other team is.

iNvid02

well i stopped playing this crapshack of a game a week ago.

i played all this time mainly because i recorded some videos for youtube.

i have some really good games, a back catalog im just uploading now

even though i hate this game now im trying to upload all these so i can
be done with mw2 for good, cant wait for black ops.

oh here is one of my good videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz9oq-JD8PM

DeuceMojo said:
But yeah, is it poor etiquette to camp during an objective game (non-deathmatch)? I think so. Doesn't mean it will ever stop.
I agree, but to be fair I think if they're camping a path between a spawn and bomb site, they're at least helping their team and being somewhat strategical. Motherfuckers sitting in a totally off part of the map with their two claymores and a noobtube need to die though.

Funny how things work out. I thought Red Dead would be the gamekiller of the year and yet I found myself drawn to MW and yet another round of prestige.

Those double-XP weekends are fun. Keeps the game more fresh, IMO, keeps you moving through the levels.

This time around, for a change, decided to hang onto the FAMAS and try for veteran with it. Also ditched the shotgun/machine pistol and went with the handgun. I've never once used a tactical knife, and I want to, dammit!

Nizz

DeuceMojo said:
Funny how things work out. I thought Red Dead would be the gamekiller of the year and yet I found myself drawn to MW and yet another round of prestige.

Those double-XP weekends are fun. Keeps the game more fresh, IMO, keeps you moving through the levels.

This time around, for a change, decided to hang onto the FAMAS and try for veteran with it. Also ditched the shotgun/machine pistol and went with the handgun. I've never once used a tactical knife, and I want to, dammit!
You know, I can't believe that I didn't hop in on this. I think I was just getting seriously burned out on the game. Felt nice taking a break from the game (about a week off), I think I needed it.

Been on a God of War fix lately. But I'm feeling the urge to hop back into MW2.

snap0212

That's it. Just ordered a new router. :lol

I found out that I can play just fine if I get invited into a game so if anyone wants to hook me up with an invite... feel free to do so. :)

DeuceMojo said:
There is zero etiquette. Other than not constantly bitching people out in the lobby, but that happens too.

Camping is now encouraged because it gets you all the wonderful kill streaks like Pavelows and AC-130s and nukes.

Last night a fellow camped a corner of the living room in the manor on Estate during a demolition match and got 31 kills in a row so he could get a nuke. Funny thing is, I encountered him twice or three times and tried to shoot him with a .45 (to build up my pistol numbers) and died each time, helping him out with his streak. :lol

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I usually play team based stuff. I really have zero issues with the "camping" people do because I am coming off MAG a game where I essentiially would set up a fixed machine gun position and mow people down by the dozens in a good match with people even laying down cover fire for me while I reloaded :lol

I had a lot of fun with this game and will continue to play. I don't really know why I avoided all the CODs up until this point.

I agree, but to be fair I think if they're camping a path between a spawn and bomb site, they're at least helping their team and being somewhat strategical. Motherfuckers sitting in a totally off part of the map with their two claymores and a noobtube need to die though.

How about climbing to the top of the skyscraper in Highrise and infini-tubing the bomb sites in Demolition? :lol

Yes, I did this the other day because I just really felt like being a giant douche. It was stress relieving. The second round was even better as I picked off the same guy three separate times trying to climb up there to copy what I had been doing.

And I played it straight after that! I swear! It just felt good to be on the giving end of the douchebaggery for once.

zero margin said:

You seem to imply that the choice is to either spawn near the one flanking person, or spawn next to the rest of the team across the map somewhere. Assuming it's not Rust, I think it's a reasonable possibility that there is space somewhere on the map where people can spawn in relative peace.

divisionbyzorro said:
How about climbing to the top of the skyscraper in Highrise and infini-tubing the bomb sites in Demolition? :lol

Yes, I did this the other day because I just really felt like being a giant douche. It was stress relieving. The second round was even better as I picked off the same guy three separate times trying to climb up there to copy what I had been doing.

And I played it straight after that! I swear! It just felt good to be on the giving end of the douchebaggery for once.
Haha, nice! Is there like a trick to making it up there? I just lose grip of the balcony thing every time I try... Jump out, he grabs it but then he lets go and I fall.

And don't worry, half my kits are douche kits. Everybody's a douche, we all need to complete these various challenges and, well...fuck it! :lol

Both my 100+ games (got another one today!) were with Akimbo kits, I have my Javelin/noobtube kit for hardcore camping on Overgrown, I have a OMA-tube kit for when someone pisses me off, I have a DC RPG kit that I always use on Crash and right now I have an Akimbo Models run-n-douche kit on. :D

Haha, nice! Is there like a trick to making it up there? I just lose grip of the balcony thing every time I try... Jump out, he grabs it but then he lets go and I fall.

And don't worry, half my kits are douche kits. Everybody's a douche, we all need to complete these various challenges and, well...fuck it! :lol

Both my 100+ games (got another one today!) were with Akimbo kits, I have my Javelin/noobtube kit for hardcore camping on Overgrown, I have a OMA-tube kit for when someone pisses me off, I have a DC RPG kit that I always use on Crash and right now I have an Akimbo Models run-n-douche kit on. :D

Hmm, that brings up a interesting point, are people douches just for the sick twisted pleasure of it, or are they just completing challenges?

USD

Another hot day, two more nukes. And the double EXP is still running.

Hyunkel6 said:
Do silencers reduce the bullet penetration of fmj? Thanks in advance.
I don't think so, but you're also dealing with the reduced range, so you're probably be doing less damage because of range.

Accidentus

Neo Member
Hyunkel6 said:
Do silencers reduce the bullet penetration of fmj? Thanks in advance.
I think it just reduces the damage. Plus shooting through walls also reduces damage so it's a double whammy, that's probably why it's taking so long to kill people through walls.

Side Note: I was playing some Search this weekend (got to love 1000XP kills) and I was in this lobby where the other team were calling us major tryhards. Is this some kind of new insult? It seemed like they were giving us crap for using ACRs, UMPs, M16's (aka good guns).

Top Bottom