• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

aku:jiki said:
Haha, nice! Is there like a trick to making it up there? I just lose grip of the balcony thing every time I try... Jump out, he grabs it but then he lets go and I fall.

The trick is to completely let go of the left stick once in mid-air.

Accidentus said:
I think it just reduces the damage. Plus shooting through walls also reduces damage so it's a double whammy, that's probably why it's taking so long to kill people through walls.

Side Note: I was playing some Search this weekend (got to love 1000XP kills) and I was in this lobby where the other team were calling us major tryhards. Is this some kind of new insult? It seemed like they were giving us crap for using ACRs, UMPs, M16's (aka good guns).
I enjoyed getting called out for using the UMP by a guy using the Intervention.

USD

Accidentus said:
Side Note: I was playing some Search this weekend (got to love 1000XP kills) and I was in this lobby where the other team were calling us major tryhards. Is this some kind of new insult? It seemed like they were giving us crap for using ACRs, UMPs, M16's (aka good guns).
There's nothing worse than the "modded controller defense." Got your ass kicked by the FAL? Discount the other player completely by calling out turbo controller, as if it's completely impossible to pull your finger really fast. I get this at least once a day.

kuYuri

USD said:
Another hot day, two more nukes. And the double EXP is still running.

Yep, Double XP is ongoing all week since the Resurgence Package comes out this Thursday. 360 only.

http://fourzerotwo.com/2010/06/01/modern-warfare-2-resurgence-package-hits-june-3rd/
Good bye Double XP weekend…..

HELLO! Double XP week!

We just flipped the switch to disable Double XP for PS3 and PC, but since the Resurgence Package - containing 5 new locations for Modern Warfare 2′s multiplayer – will be hitting Xbox Live on June 3rd (THIS THURSDAY!), we figured we’d keep the 2x rank up goodness happening all the way through next weekend! So if you’re on XboxLive, continue enjoying that double XP all the way up till Monday, June 7th in celebration of the new downloadable content hitting.

divisionbyzorro said:
How about climbing to the top of the skyscraper in Highrise and infini-tubing the bomb sites in Demolition? :lol

Yes, I did this the other day because I just really felt like being a giant douche. It was stress relieving. The second round was even better as I picked off the same guy three separate times trying to climb up there to copy what I had been doing.

And I played it straight after that! I swear! It just felt good to be on the giving end of the douchebaggery for once.

Oh god. I really wish they'd make 2 ways to get up there or at least make it easier to get up there. Had a bunch of assholes with tac insertions. 3 of them managed to get up there, 2 with sniper rifles and 1 with oma noobtube. We kept spawning below them. I managed to off a few of them with well placed javelins and semtexes but we got crushed because of the DAMN GREEN GUYS! :lol

I usually wouldnt have a problem getting up there, I know about the letting go of the stick and all that jazz, but when you got 3 guys up there, its nearly impossible.

mr_boo

Checked Strider's OP, and I guess the PS3 release date is still unknown? Anyways, I can't believe how time flies - I still feel like I'm just getting to know Salvage, Bailout and Storm.

kuYuri

mr_boo said:
Checked Strider's OP, and I guess the PS3 release date is still unknown? Anyways, I can't believe how time flies - I still feel like I'm just getting to know Salvage, Bailout and Storm.

Presumably, it will also be 30 days after the 360 just like Stimulus, but it hasn't been confirmed yet.

Just got the MW2 soundtrack, sounds so great.

I love the way Zimmer arranged the score on this release. Sounds so much more polished than the unofficial OST I got back in the Fall.

The game is a fuckin noobtube paradise now, I used to run into one douche out of every 7-8 games now it's every other game there is some tool with an RPG and a couple others with noobtubes. It really is ridiculous. The games without these is what keeps me playing but it's such a bullshit thing to do, I don't even see how it's fun for them honestly.

Secondary complaint is having some dude teleport up a stair case and round the goddamn corner in one motion to stab me.

vhfive

the noob tube is the only thing keeping me away from the game at the moment. I can deal with the runners and the quick scopers but the noobtube shit is infuriating. I have basically stopped playing mw2 all together (except on the occasion with some friends) because every other class is a grenade launcher with either scavenger or oma

aku:jiki

Accidentus said:
It's the dumbest insult I've ever heard and it's very common. We're, apparently, supposed to be ashamed of trying to win and putting effort into something. It's like some Bill Hicks shit. "Whatcha readin for?! Looks like we got ourselves a reader!"

zero margin said:
I don't even see how it's fun for them honestly.
They're just bad players who aren't used to the fast pace and short reaction times in this game. They'll get better and move on to using real guns eventually, but they'll keep getting replaced by new players who start out by doing nothing but using the easy kits (tube/knife/UMP) so the cycle will never end. :(

I saw one guy who should just trade the game in and go back to RPG's... He just sat around with a HBS and a noobtube ready and barely ever moved an inch for 15 minutes of gameplay. And he was something like 3rd prestige! Duuuuuuude, grow some balls!

vhfive said:
the noob tube is the only thing keeping me away from the game at the moment. I can deal with the runners and the quick scopers but the noobtube shit is infuriating. I have basically stopped playing mw2 all together (except on the occasion with some friends) because every other class is a grenade launcher with either scavenger or oma

Yeah same ive just given up on it. Between the noob tubers, the people camping in a dark corner and to a lesser extent the knife runners and the shottie users im out, im just not having fun anymore.

I saw one guy who should just trade the game in and go back to RPG's... He just sat around with a HBS and a noobtube ready and barely ever moved an inch for 15 minutes of gameplay. And he was something like 3rd prestige! Duuuuuuude, grow some balls!

These guys are the worst, they dont get many kills and dont do very well, but theyre always in the dark corner you turn past just when your 1 kill away from your next streak.

I'm convinced, too, that 99% of people mistake tactical playing for camping.

But I'm a jaded Counter-Strike player who used to have to explain to fucking tools that defending a bombsite or hostages isn't camping, so... :lol

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm convinced, too, that 99% of people mistake tactical playing for camping.

But I'm a jaded Counter-Strike player who used to have to explain to fucking tools that defending a bombsite or hostages isn't camping, so... :lol

Im convince that 99% of the people playing tactically in theyre heads are camping. :lol

Tactical play involves flanking the enemy, getting into a good defensive position, and mowing them down while they are unaware, for example on terminal getting into the little shop thing behind A when thats the point theyre trying to capture. Then as soon as they spawn somewhere else, moving around to flank them again. The thing with 'tactical' play in my book is, even when your in a position to mow down enemies, you cant just stay there and do it, your going to need to keep moving around and attacking from different angles.

Camping is when you only move after getting a couple of kills because you know your little hiding spot is known about. If you stay still for extreme periods of time waiting for an enemy to come past, your camping, your making no effort to go out and get kills, your literally just sitting there... waiting.

cdyhybrid said:
I'm already mourning the nerfing of OMA-tubing. Hurray for encouraging camping even more.

You dont need to use more than 2 noob tubes to kill a camper...

I play Search and Destroy nearly exclusively, so to me it's acceptable to stay in one spot the entire round if you're covering a bombsite and know that the other bombsite is being guarded by teammates. Of course this is different when you're on the attacking team, in which case I don't mind the other team staying tight to the bombsite. I still find it ridiculous that people will complain about not running after a dropped bomb when it's clearly being covered by 2 or 3 enemies, though, when I sneak around to try and find an advantage against them.

If you're sat in an obtuse corner of the map where you're not contributing to the game it's camping. If you're in a good spot where you know you'll encounter enemies and helping win the objective it's fine by me. Don't move an inch if you don't want to.

I got an abuse message on Favela a few days ago because I was playing Hardcore Headquarters and found a nice little spot overlooking an alley where I knew the enemy would funnel down. My team were attacking the HQ location, so as they did that I stuck to that spot and held off the enemies as they managed to capture the HQ, and then killed enough guys from that spot to prevent them from destroying it. Still people were branding me a lame camper because I happened to have a good tactical position and wasn't stupid enough to leave it. :D

I realise that most people in this thread will see it as camping but in my mind it's fine because I'm killing enemies and helping my team. In a way I'm glad a lot of people are against "camping" and run around like headless chickens, though, because they're the easiest kills in the game. Nothing like some idiot running towards my position for the fourth time madly firing a SPAS and not getting near me. :lol

Foliorum Viridum said:
I play Search and Destroy nearly exclusively, so to me it's acceptable to stay in one spot the entire round if you're covering a bombsite and know that the other bombsite is being guarded by teammates. Of course this is different when you're on the attacking team, in which case I don't mind the other team staying tight to the bombsite. I still find it ridiculous that people will complain about not running after a dropped bomb when it's clearly being covered by 2 or 3 enemies, though, when I sneak around to try and find an advantage against them.

If you're sat in an obtuse corner of the map where you're not contributing to the game it's camping. If you're in a good spot where you know you'll encounter enemies and helping win the objective it's fine by me. Don't move an inch if you don't want to.

I got an abuse message on Favela a few days ago because I was playing Hardcore Headquarters and found a nice little spot overlooking an alley where I knew the enemy would funnel down. My team were attacking the HQ location, so as I did that I stuck to that spot and held off the enemies as they managed to capture the HQ, and then killed enough guys from that spot to prevent them from destroying it. Still people were branding me a lame camper because I happened to have a good tactical position and wasn't stupid enough to leave it. :D

I realise that most people in this thread will see it as camping but in my mind it's fine because I'm killing enemies and helping my team. In a way I'm glad a lot of people are against "camping" and run around like headless chickens, though, because they're the easiest kills in the game. Nothing like some idiot running towards my position for the fourth time madly firing a SPAS and not getting near me. :lol

Not sure if thats directly in reply to me, but I wasnt attacking you, and yeah staying in a defensive position on S+D makes sense, BUT it doesnt make as much sense in the game modes where you dont have something to defend, or when your hiding in a obscure corridoor nowhere near the objective. When playing a objective mode on defence, I actually prefer to flank the enemy and kill them before they get near the spawn, not saying that bunkering down near the objective is a bad thing, just saying you can play more aggressivly even on defence.

By the way, camping and playing like a headless chicken arent the only 2 ways to play the game, ive gotten nukes without camping, so I probably wasnt running around like a headless chicken right? I find it funny that your response boils down to "lol I camp, but im better than the retards that dont."

cdyhybrid said:
I'm already mourning the nerfing of OMA-tubing. Hurray for encouraging camping even more.

notsureifserious.jpg

The problem with the noobtubes is even if the game doesnt start out with it, all it takes is one or two jackasses with it then EVERYONE starts bringing out danger close classes and the game disintegrates into it. I always end up backing out after the game so I dont have to sit through it again in the next game.

Miggytronz

Lionheart1827 said:
The problem with the noobtubes is even if the game doesnt start out with it, all it takes is one or two jackasses with it then EVERYONE starts bringing out danger close classes and the game disintegrates into it.

yeop me and my friends never have tube classes on but if the opposition gets out of control with it, then we get forced to use it. sucks.

Lionheart1827 said:
The problem with the noobtubes is even if the game doesnt start out with it, all it takes is one or two jackasses with it then EVERYONE starts bringing out danger close classes and the game disintegrates into it. I always end up backing out after the game so I dont have to sit through it again in the next game.
Yup, it's some bullshit... I can be as good as possible with my SMG, but that doesn't stand a chance against a camping OMA-tuber so I have to do it myself. So fucking boring. :(

Makes you wonder why it's not being adressed in the slightest. Bowling has commented on many complaints but not the noobtubing. We haven't seen fixes, but he's been saying "it's being looked at" to OMA abuse, etc. I mean...he claims to play the game but that has got to be a lie - if he did he'd be so pissed off at noobtubing by now that he'd walk down to the coder's lair and put them in chokeholds

Xux

I usually just let it go. It's usually a pretty big accomplishment when I break even with my RPD and M9. UAVs are the high points of my night. Been watchin' too much pyrotoz. I should just bitch out use some bandwagon gun or somethin'.

Also, I don't think Storm's a good map for Ground War.

\Makes you wonder why it's not being adressed in the slightest. Bowling has commented on many complaints but not the noobtubing. We haven't seen fixes, but he's been saying "it's being looked at" to OMA abuse, etc. I mean...he claims to play the game but that has got to be a lie - if he did he'd be so pissed off at noobtubing by now that he'd walk down to the coder's lair and put them in chokeholds

All you have to do is make the noob tube attachment take up the secondary slot and you'd be golden. Of course, then the Thumper would be pointless, but whatever.

Xux

I came up with a long-winded change to the grenade launcher that got ignored on the Black Ops boards (not that my posts don't get ignored all of the time on here):
Arm-on-Impact Grenade Launcher Rounds

Instead of the explode-on-impact rounds used in the past three COD games I think it'd be cool if COD7 switched to the arm-on-impact kind. The round would be launched, hit a surface, and, after a certain amount of time, explode. The real-life version explodes after a second (I think) but I think these should have a longer "fuse" though maybe one shorter than frag grenades' since they can't be cooked. This would fix (at least ideally) a couple complaints with previous grenade launchers by making them a little less powerful at range, less effective at spawn tubing (less than frag grenades, at least), and, since they're rolling and/or bouncing around and possible to pick up, easier to defend against.

Direct impact from these shouldn't be a one hit kill but should do enough damage to encourage someone to try and get or throw it away. Being another grenade to pick up and throw back at people would also give more reason to use a hopefully returning Toss Back perk and fill the void of a hopefully not returning Martyrdom.

Bonus leveling quirk idea:

Custom Weapon and Other Stuff Unlock Order

It'd be cool if, instead of starting with SMG X and unlocking SMG Y at level Z we could pick which SMG we could start with and which one we unlocked at each SMG unlocking level. This would also apply to the other weapons as well as equipment and perks (you pick your starting purple perk and then have levels with opportunities to unlock another) and stuff like that.

Too much time thinking of FPS theory whilst bored at work.

Wow, so I just found out that a SitRep user who is very obsessed with using it makes winning Demolition literally impossible. The only way to possibly overtake, say, the house on Estate and plant A is by using tac-insertions, and he made that completely impossible. Basically one guy won the match, and he wasn't even that good. That's pretty lame. :/

divisionbyzorro said:
All you have to do is make the noob tube attachment take up the secondary slot and you'd be golden. Of course, then the Thumper would be pointless, but whatever.
I honestly don't think that would do anything. Don't forget that the latest trendy douche kit is noobtube+thumper+Sleight of Hand for maximum douchebaggery. These people don't care about surviving, streaking or any kind of proper play...they just want to be assholes. IW needs to stop making that so very possible in their games.

USD

Explosive weapons can be pretty ridiculous in this game, but I kind of wish they would bump up the frag grenade damage. I've switched over to semtex for all my classes but my stealth ones, and find semtex much more effective just because of the bigger kill radius.

Wow, so I just found out that a SitRep user who is very obsessed with using it makes winning Demolition literally impossible. The only way to possibly overtake, say, the house on Estate and plant A is by using tac-insertions, and he made that completely impossible. Basically one guy won the match, and he wasn't even that good. That's pretty lame. :/

If you're going to blame anybody for that, blame IW for setting the capture points on Estate in such a way that tac-inserts are mandatory. Sounds to me like this guy knew how the map worked and beat you honestly.

I honestly don't think that would do anything. Don't forget that the latest trendy douche kit is noobtube+thumper+Sleight of Hand for maximum douchebaggery. These people don't care about surviving, streaking or any kind of proper play...they just want to be assholes. IW needs to stop making that so very possible in their games.

Then maybe the best solution is to just get rid of danger close.

USD

divisionbyzorro said:
I love Danger Close Pro too much for them to do that. They can dump the Danger Close for all I care, as long as increased air support damage is attached to some other perk.

I'm learning to like LMG's again, despite my previous hatred for them. I've finally found a setup that works well for me - I go with sights instead of grip now. You don't need it if you don't spray, and I figure that if you do spray, the opponent has a better sprayer (like an ACR) anyway so there's no point. I burst my LMG's like I'm firing a FAL and it's working out pretty awesomely with a holographic sight. The only one that's still a little too shakey while doing this is the L86, the rest can cause some impressive destruction.

divisionbyzorro said:
That could work, but IW won't do it... :/

I still think some more rules added to the tube will fix many problems. Add a maximum range or travel timer (like a semtex has - if you throw it too far it'll explode in the air) so you can't spawn tube, add a timer so you can't respawn and immediately go back to tube mode which should discourage some people from using it as their primary and remove direct impact so they can't run around with the tube out at all times and get lucky kills with it. Also, you start with one and not two, to stop this shit where they blindfire one to see if you're there and then quickly follow up with the 2nd when they get a hit marker.

Edit: Hell, the good old "can't use perk 1 with tube" from CoD4 was brilliant too. It won't discourage the assholes but lots of people would unequip the tube immediately if they did that.

Bumblebeetuna said:
Before they worry about noob tubing, fix the more glaring issues. AKA super soldier sprinting and commando 10 foot death lunges :D
I really don't think you'll get a lot of agreement from the community that Lightweight is worse than all the noobtubing. I honestly don't even know how you could think that...

I still think some more rules added to the tube will fix many problems. Add a maximum range or travel timer (like a semtex has - if you throw it too far it'll explode in the air) so you can't spawn tube, add a timer so you can't respawn and immediately go back to tube mode which should discourage some people from using it as their primary and remove direct impact so they can't run around with the tube out at all times and get lucky kills with it. Also, you start with one and not two, to stop this shit where they blindfire one to see if you're there and then quickly follow up with the 2nd when they get a hit marker.

I like the idea of having them explode in mid-air - tubing across the map is just flat out wrong. And removing DI kills would also be good.

aki:jiki said:
Edit: Hell, the good old "can't use perk 1 with tube" from CoD4 was brilliant too. It won't discourage the assholes but lots of people would unequip the tube immediately if they did that.

The problem is that the first perk slot in CoD4 was radically different than the first perk slot in MW2.

• Bomb Squad turned into SitRep and is now a green perk.
  • C4 and Claymores moved to equipment.
  • RPG moved to the secondary slot.
  • Special x3 and Frag x3 were removed (somewhat replaced by Scavenger in slot 1).
  • Bandolier was replaced by Scavenger Pro, which is slot 1.

It doesn't really make sense to disable the current blue perks (aside from One Man Army) with the grenade launcher. Remember that grips also used to disable the first perk slot, and I don't think anyone here thinks that grips should do the same in this game.

divisionbyzorro said:
It doesn't really make sense to disable the current blue perks (aside from One Man Army) with the grenade launcher. Remember that grips also used to disable the first perk slot, and I don't think anyone here thinks that grips should do the same in this game.
Oh, I didn't remember about the grip - definitely agreed there, but I'm not so sure that removing access to blue is that bad of an idea. I don't see a problem with them not being able to replenish, not being able to run and not being able to combine the tube with a HBS. It's win-win-win-win as far as I'm concerned. :D

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
divisionbyzorro said:

Yes it does. The grip doing the same thing last game is completely irrelevant.

butts

I don't think I can name one game that had tubes in it that WASN'T abused in some way or lead to a frustrating and unfun experience for everyone who wasn't using it. I understand it is a viable weapon in real life but maybe developers should just realize the thing really doesn't do anything other than frustrate people in games.

Xux said:
I came up with a long-winded change to the grenade launcher that got ignored on the Black Ops boards (not that my posts don't get ignored all of the time on here):

Bonus leveling quirk idea:

Too much time thinking of FPS theory whilst bored at work.
I like that idea about unlocking weapons.

butts said:
I don't think I can name one game that had tubes in it that WASN'T abused in some way or lead to a frustrating and unfun experience for everyone who wasn't using it. I understand it is a viable weapon in real life but maybe developers should just realize the thing really doesn't do anything other than frustrate people in games.

Exactly! After how annoying it was on CoD 4 im suprised they brought it back, and also gave out perks like danger close, I want to know what they were thinking in those boardroom meetings.

bobs99 ... said:
Exactly! After how annoying it was on CoD 4 im suprised they brought it back, and also gave out perks like danger close, I want to know what they were thinking in those boardroom meetings.

Yeah, although I dont remember it being much of a problem in COD4(I only played TDM so I dont know if it was more prevalent in other modes). However, RPGs seemed to be a much bigger problem in that game then the noobtubes were. I also hated the 3 frag spam on wet works.

I'm really interested on what Treyarch is gonna do with Black Ops MP.

butts said:

I would tend to agree. If anything, I just hope that BO gets rid of them completely.

Top Bottom