• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Kujo

Got 5 messages from different people to join a 10 prestige lobby today, annoying as fuck. Everytime I play against a P10-L70 they're always shit anyway.

rezuth said:
I think there is a lot of whine here from people who just keep making the same mistakes. I used to hate knife runners, noobtubers, campers etc but they are easy bait if you know what you are doing. I can however imagine that it is frustrating for people who are just getting into the game. I used to have the same issue but once you learn the game there is hardly any trouble with it.

I would ask you to elaborate but I think you're just being cavalier and don't have an answer. :lol

USD said:
This is the awesomeness that is SitRep Pro. I can hear MLCs coming from a mile away. The only people that can catch me are the ffew people who opt for Ninja Pro instead, but they don't have the million mile lunge.

What's funny is that the Commando lunge is still the shortest "ranged weapon" in the game. A silenced AA-12 has a longer range than a Commando lunge! So, I think the main problem with Commando has nothing to do with the lunge distance; rather, I think there are four unrelated issues.

First: the way the game handles arbitration between bullets and melee seems to give melee a much greater priority/tolerance than bullets. I can't speculate too much on the specifics, but we know that MW2 does not allow mutual kills. If we're shooting each other the face, only one of us will die - always (the obvious exception being explosives). So my assumption here is that when the host arbitrates a battle between a shotgun and a commando lunge (for example), it always gives priority to the melee attack within their definition of a "reasonable" latency. It's funny, because with shotgun on shotgun battles, it's always a toss-up regarding whether or not your shot even happens. But in shotgun v. commando lunge, the commando lunge always seems to win.

Second: the draw time on melee is vastly shorter than the draw time on any other weapon. This is deliberate, and works well in the normal knife range (you have to be within arm's reach of the guy to knife him). But with commando, the defender simply doesn't have enough time to react. Of course, this was also deliberate: the entire point of the perk is to give you the edge in a reaction battle. But the question is this: should a player be given a OHK weapon at that distance?

Third (and this is the big one): Commando comes with no drawbacks. It's essentially a short-range, homing, OHK shotgun that passes through Painkiller and has a faster draw time than any other weapon in the game. It's also essentially a third ranged weapon; yes, the range is very short, but in close quarters that really doesn't matter. I guess what I'm saying is that it should be considered as and balanced like a weapon, not a perk, because it acts like a weapon. Perks have no drawbacks (other than not being able to use other perks in the same slot).

Fourth: This is a gun game, after all. Using the knife offensively feels like it's against the spirit of the game.

So you know how I would balance Commando? Treat it like a weapon. When you equip the perk, it replaces your secondary weapon with a "Combat Knife." You only get the commando lunge benefit when you switch to that secondary weapon - but of course at that point that's your only weapon! Now all of a sudden there are drawbacks to consider. Knife runners have to think long and hard about what they're doing.

It's just another crazy idea that came to me after thinking too long about this game :lol

aku:jiki

Yeah, where the fuck are the maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaps

Just came home expecting to own fools in the trailer park, but there's nothing and no word. :(

On another note, I just noticed that CoD4 is available for download on 360 and decided to buy it right away...but it's like $50. Are they fucking kidding? I actually busted out laughing when I saw the price tag. :lol :lol

divisionbyzorro said:
What's funny is that the Commando lunge is still the shortest "ranged weapon" in the game. A silenced AA-12 has a longer range than a Commando lunge! So, I think the main problem with Commando has nothing to do with the lunge distance; rather, I think there are four unrelated issues.

First: the way the game handles arbitration between bullets and melee seems to give melee a much greater priority/tolerance than bullets. I can't speculate too much on the specifics, but we know that MW2 does not allow mutual kills. If we're shooting each other the face, only one of us will die - always (the obvious exception being explosives). So my assumption here is that when the host arbitrates a battle between a shotgun and a commando lunge (for example), it always gives priority to the melee attack within their definition of a "reasonable" latency. It's funny, because with shotgun on shotgun battles, it's always a toss-up regarding whether or not your shot even happens. But in shotgun v. commando lunge, the commando lunge always seems to win.

Second: the draw time on melee is vastly shorter than the draw time on any other weapon. This is deliberate, and works well in the normal knife range (you have to be within arm's reach of the guy to knife him). But with commando, the defender simply doesn't have enough time to react. Of course, this was also deliberate: the entire point of the perk is to give you the edge in a reaction battle. But the question is this: should a player be given a OHK weapon at that distance?

Third (and this is the big one): Commando comes with no drawbacks. It's essentially a short-range, homing, OHK shotgun that passes through Painkiller and has a faster draw time than any other weapon in the game. It's also essentially a third ranged weapon; yes, the range is very short, but in close quarters that really doesn't matter. I guess what I'm saying is that it should be considered as and balanced like a weapon, not a perk, because it acts like a weapon. Perks have no drawbacks (other than not being able to use other perks in the same slot).

Fourth: This is a gun game, after all. Using the knife offensively feels like it's against the spirit of the game.

So you know how I would balance Commando? Treat it like a weapon. When you equip the perk, it replaces your secondary weapon with a "Combat Knife." You only get the commando lunge benefit when you switch to that secondary weapon - but of course at that point that's your only weapon! Now all of a sudden there are drawbacks to consider. Knife runners have to think long and hard about what they're doing.

It's just another crazy idea that came to me after thinking too long about this game :lol

They should also make it so that if you have akimbo weapons out, you cant use your knife. I cant stand that. Grrr.

Also I hate that a lot of times I cant pick up ammo for my gun from an enemy's gun on the ground. What the hell?

cdyhybrid

aku:jiki said:
out a camper? Why do you need OMA for anti-camping? And why can't you just use smart manouvering and bullets like the rest of us? Campers aren't invincible.

It's never "a" camper. It's never just one guy. Either half (or all) of the team is camping, or the guy just goes right back to where he was when he respawns. At that point, if I'm not using Scavenger, I have to either die or switch classes to get more grenades to dislodge him. But switching classes is going be less and less viable. They're forcing you to choose between running around to grab more ammo to take out those campers, or camp yourself because you don't have anymore grenades and want to preserve your killstreak. Like I said, yet another thing that encourages camping.

Eeek...I see what people mean about the way you need to play this game. Two games I played two different ways. Remember I am new :D

Free moving through Favela 10-12

Sitting in a building the entire match on Scrapyard 14-2 :lol , WOW am I learning.

Lionheart1827 said:
Also I hate that a lot of times I cant pick up ammo for my gun from an enemy's gun on the ground. What the hell?
It has to be the exact same gun, attachments and all, for you to be able to replenish ammo. Kinda stupid but I guess they needed to do that for Scavenger to be useful.

cdyhybrid said:
It's never "a" camper. It's never just one guy. Either half (or all) of the team is camping, or the guy just goes right back to where he was when he respawns. At that point, if I'm not using Scavenger, I have to either die or switch classes to get more grenades to dislodge him. But switching classes is going be less and less viable. They're forcing you to choose between running around to grab more ammo to take out those campers, or camp yourself because you don't have anymore grenades and want to preserve your killstreak. Like I said, yet another thing that encourages camping.
You lost me when you basically said you have to either noobtube or camp to get a killstreak. Sorry man, but this post speaks volumes of your skill level, and it doesn't sound very high. None of what you wrote is an argument for why the non-stop noobtubing needs to keep existing, except that you're lazy and want easy ways to kill people (whether they're camping or not). Again; it is possible to outsmart campers and kill them with bullets!

The only time this is ever not true is if they're using an elevator glitch, and nobody does that anymore. Haven't seen it in months. And besides, noobtubes can't hit those guys anyway.

Anerythristic said:
Eeek...I see what people mean about the way you need to play this game. Two games I played two different ways. Remember I am new :D

Free moving through Favela 10-12

Sitting in a building the entire match on Scrapyard 14-2 :lol , WOW am I learning.
Sounds like you're learning the wrong things. :(

rezuth

zero margin said:
I would ask you to elaborate but I think you're just being cavalier and don't have an answer. :lol
I'm not sure which you want an answer to put no knife runner so far has gotten through my dual akimbo. If you keep getting noob tubed just avoid choke points where people go for easy kills.

The ONLY problem I find with grenade tubes (hate the phrase "noobtube") is when it's easy to shoot in to spawn within the first 5/10 seconds of a match. Might not be a problem in respawnable modes, but as a S+D player it's terribly frustrating.

Kujo

aku:jiki said:
I just noticed that CoD4 is available for download on 360 and decided to buy it right away...but it's like $50. Are they fucking kidding? I actually busted out laughing when I saw the price tag. :lol :lol
You guys actually have it good :p - it's AU$100 (US$85) on our Marketplace. Which is insane as you could get it $20 cheaper instore on launch day back in 2007.

And as for camping, I'll say this again, agressive flanking should always net you more kills and killstreaks than staying in one spot. I've got like 400 most distance travelled accolades, lol. Got this just before by running around with a UMP45 on Estate TDM:

t052yb.jpg

I personally can't stand still, it's not fun for me. If I see a camper, I will hunt them down :p So fun just throwing a C4 into his hiding spot and stopping his killstreak.

I wanted to check. Last night I noticed someone in my lobby that seemed to be launching grenades like artillery using his heartbeat monitor as a kind of radar and he was getting kills!

It was funny as hell, is that an actual thing that people do ? :lol

Kujo

Anerythristic said:
I wanted to check. Last night I noticed someone in my lobby that seemed to be launching grenades like artillery using his heartbeat monitor as a kind of radar and he was getting kills!
I saw someone get a damn nuke by staying at their spawn on Karachi and lauching nades via OMA at a specific spot in the sky that will always land in the C area (Domination). Couldn't stop him cause he was on my team, really annoyed me though.

Kujo

Note: We have started rolling out the Resurgence Pack to all Xbox LIVE members. Not everyone will get it at the same time, but everyone will see it and be able to download it over the next few hours. Until then the links below may give you a CONTENT NOT FOUND error page. If you don’t see it yet. Don’t panic. Don’t call support. Don’t worry…you’ll see it soon.

http://majornelson.com/

R2D4

Banned
Anyway to turn off the MW2 maps and just use the more superior ones from COD4? Lulz. The only MW2 map I actually like is one of the newer ones from the last map pack a that has all the crates. That one and Rust which never fucking comes up.

VASPER

Banned
R2D4 said:
Anyway to turn off the MW2 maps and just use the more superior ones from COD4? Lulz. The only MW2 map I actually like is one of the newer ones from the last map pack a that has all the crates. That one and Rust which never fucking comes up.

Yeah i think i got too sick of playing all the default maps, so i'm with ya there.

rezuth

R2D4 said:
Rust is a fucking disaster :lol

USD

rezuth said:
I think there is a lot of whine here from people who just keep making the same mistakes. I used to hate knife runners, noobtubers, campers etc but they are easy bait if you know what you are doing. I can however imagine that it is frustrating for people who are just getting into the game. I used to have the same issue but once you learn the game there is hardly any trouble with it.

The only real issue I have with the game is that spawns can be seriously fucked up at times.
I'm in the same boat. There are annoying things, but nothing that can be dealt with, shitty spawns being the exception.
Mojo said:
And as for camping, I'll say this again, agressive flanking should always net you more kills and killstreaks than staying in one spot. I've got like 400 most distance travelled accolades, lol. Got this just before by running around with a UMP45 on Estate TDM:
Yeah, I get lots of most distance traveled/most time spent sprinting, and I don't even use Marathon or Lightweight.

Accidentus

Neo Member
divisionbyzorro said:
Third (and this is the big one): Commando comes with no drawbacks. It's essentially a short-range, homing, OHK shotgun that passes through Painkiller and has a faster draw time than any other weapon in the game.
This is my biggest beef with Commando, or more generally, with knifing in this game. Even Halo's melee that's been babied since Halo 2 is much less forgiving. You can literally be past the person and knife him. Idk how many times I've seen a Commando knifer be past me, knife, and get credit even though he's clearly just knifing air.

Just went 51-19 on Trailer Park. Most people seem to prefer "exploring" the new maps by spawning, moving 10 feet and then parking their ass in a window... Catching so many people off guard with my MP5k. :D

I love how everybody's obsessed with camping the rocket on Carnival, but that's like a completely useless vantage point where you can only see a very small portion of the map...yet everybody has to get up there all the time for easy flanking kills. :lol

zam

Liking the new maps so far, Trailer Park and Carnival are fun, though I don't get why people start camping right away when they've gotten new maps instead of exploring them. Why would you fork over $15 just to sit and camp in one spot?

Top Bottom