• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm watching some livestreaming of the new maps right now - didn't realize that Carnival was so big!
I'd say it's medium size, but its strength is that it's very easy to learn. Two matches and I feel like I have control over it now... Fuel and Trailer Park on the other hand are just confusing.

Not liking Fuel at all right now, actually. People who thought Derail was too large and sniper-campy are gonna have a heart attack. :lol

Ok, I just went 33-3 on Fuel so now I like it. :lol

It really is a great sniping map. Finally! This game has sorely needed another sniping. The map is ridiculously large and the sniping spots are very generous - lots of places to hide if they come for you. :D

Akim said:
is the first map pack cheaper yet?

5ea77o.jpg

rezuth said:
I think there is a lot of whine here from people who just keep making the same mistakes. I used to hate knife runners, noobtubers, campers etc but they are easy bait if you know what you are doing. I can however imagine that it is frustrating for people who are just getting into the game. I used to have the same issue but once you learn the game there is hardly any trouble with it.

The only real issue I have with the game is that spawns can be seriously fucked up at times.

Disagreed, I dont really mind cheese, unless it happens all game, or it happens while im on a insane killstreak, if a player noob tubes me when im 1 kill off chopper gunner = RAAAAAGE. Luckily im not Nuke hunting anymore, cos that shit raised my blood pressure. :lol

EDIT: ooh, new map pack, any good?

Xux

divisionbyzorro said:
It's just another crazy idea that came to me after thinking too long about this game :lol

I still think it's just way too damn fast for an online environment. It takes .15 seconds to lunge and, in a game that connects at .080 seconds of lag or so, you're dead when they're halfway through the lunge or even earlier and Lightweight makes it so that they're closer to you than they appear on your screen if they're running straight at you. The tests I've read of them testing the mechanics of commando it in a local match had the commando person either die at the same time as the person shooting or die mid-lunge but it's still so fast that it's pretty inconsistent.

I think they also should've made Tactical Knife activated by the aim button like it's an akimbo something and make the hip fire spread of the pistol increased so they don't have that mid range weapon to fall back on reliably.

bobs99 ... said:
EDIT: ooh, new map pack, any good?
Yes, well worth it! I like all the maps, and honestly I think maybe Strike is the worst one of the bunch. I wasn't expecting that at all!

Carnival is the best one, I think. It's really fun to play and it's very easy to learn, there are good shootouts to be had in pretty much every area and every style seems to work. Trailer Park is up there too, but so far it's been pretty campy. Lots of fun to run and gun in when you're not getting camped on though, and it's bursting with fun little details. My favorite is the 50 beer cans and 5 kegs strewn around a picnic table. The massive collection of pink flamingoes is pretty good too. :lol Vacant works great and looks fantastic, it's obviously an IW favorite since they've put a lot of nice work into it. Strike works well, but just isn't that much fun to me. Pretty standard map.

Fuel is absolutely enormous and Bowling's talk of it "rivaling Overgrown in size" is BS - it's way bigger! Unfortunately, it suffers from Derail syndrome where very large areas of the map go unused, which is sad because almost all of the map is pretty well designed and you could have good battles pretty much everywhere.

Carnival and Fuel are going to piss so many people off because they both have 1000 little nooks where you can pick people off and not give yourself away instantly. :lol

(If you play hardcore with no killcams, like I do)

Magik

aku:jiki said:
Fuel is absolutely enormous and Bowling's talk of it "rivaling Overgrown in size" is BS - it's way bigger! Unfortunately, it suffers from Derail syndrome where very large areas of the map go unused, which is sad because almost all of the map is pretty well designed and you could have good battles pretty much everywhere.

It really does suffer from Derail syndrome especially on Domination. For whatever reason, they decided to concentrate all three flags on the lower half of the map leaving a HUGE area above Flag B.

day one new map pack you get all the hardcore people, been getting a little torn up so far! Not too bad though. Not sure I like trailer park and carnival might be a little too busy so to speak.

3rd person playlist doesn't have the new maps or any other playlist

but from Fourzero's twitter

"Have the new Resurgence maps for Modern Warfare 2? Let me know what you think of each map! We'll be adding them to all playlists tomorrow!"

So I'll wait till tommorow before I bitch.

Mikey Jr.

aku:jiki said:
Yes, well worth it! I like all the maps, and honestly I think maybe Strike is the worst one of the bunch. I wasn't expecting that at all!

Carnival is the best one, I think. It's really fun to play and it's very easy to learn, there are good shootouts to be had in pretty much every area and every style seems to work. Trailer Park is up there too, but so far it's been pretty campy. Lots of fun to run and gun in when you're not getting camped on though, and it's bursting with fun little details. My favorite is the 50 beer cans and 5 kegs strewn around a picnic table. The massive collection of pink flamingoes is pretty good too. :lol Vacant works great and looks fantastic, it's obviously an IW favorite since they've put a lot of nice work into it. Strike works well, but just isn't that much fun to me. Pretty standard map.

Derail is not bad for that, Bloc from COD4 was the WORST! There was literally half the map that was never played.

Also, why is that on Sub-base, there is almost never any fighting at C? ALL the action happens at a and b.

zero margin said:
It's a good map at least, having vacant back is awesome as well.

I never played Strike in CoD4 and after 15 matches of it I'm already sick of it. :lol
Vacant I've only played twice but it seems like a stinker. Both matches were overrun with witchbladers (and I'm someone who doesn't think Commando Pro is all that annoying). At least I got some good shotgun kills.

I really like the few scant minutes I got to play on Fuel and Carnival (2 matches on Fuel, 1 on Carnival). I still haven't gotten into a game on Trailer Park. Was close once but it got voted to be skipped which of course led to Strike.

I think I'll wait till the new maps are added to the other playlists. I'm sick of objective based games full of people who don't want to be playing objective based games. I really hope they tweak the maplists. Otherwise I expect we'll get shit like:

Strike
Overgrown
Strike
Bailout
Strike
Strike
Bailout
Overgrown
Strike
Crash
Strike

Ugh the new maps come out today and I get stuck at work until 9. And now I'm too tired to do anything but bitch about this, masturbate, and go to sleep.

I hate being an adult.

So I can't play TDME with the new maps? Fuck that. Not a fan of the objective-based gameplay. I guess I'll just stick with my trusty TDME until the new maps are put into the rotation.

USD

Mikey Jr. said:
Derail is not bad for that, Bloc from COD4 was the WORST! There was literally half the map that was never played.
I never knew there was a swimming pool in the back area of Bloc for a long time.

The new maps do look good. I thought Fuel was going to be a disaster, but it looks really fun. Guess I'll have to start playing again when they come out on PS3.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in. :(

Just won 17-0 in CTF earlier on Fuel. Its almost as if the other team wasnt trying. :lol

My buds and I usually play TDM exclusively, but since we had to play some other modes, we crushed on that one. We also came from behind in an awesome SnD match on strike. While TDM I always play, if I had to play any other mode it would be CTF and SnD. The other ones just end up being clusterfucks(except for maybe domination).

Xux said:
Haha, I've made the same mistake as he does, thinking there's a guy in that opposite window. There's like a tree there or something that looks just like a guy camping. :lol

Mikey Jr. said:
Also, why is that on Sub-base, there is almost never any fighting at C? ALL the action happens at a and b.
C area actually sees a lot of action in Demolition, you should check it out. One of the bomb sites is there so you get to use that area plenty. :D

Lionheart1827 said:
While TDM I always play, if I had to play any other mode it would be CTF and SnD. The other ones just end up being clusterfucks(except for maybe domination).
Demolition is the most orderly and least annoying mode in the game, you should also check it out! :lol

Xux

Had one of the better games I've had in awhile last night. 15-0 on Invasion with one kill from a Predator missile and...well I didn't keep track of my harrier but it was a blind call so I don't it did much of anything.

Anyway, all I used was my silenced TMP. Felt like I was always on the move and I didn't even notice I was 10+ and 0 until a party member told me.

Then we played on Bailout and I went 1:2ish. Still looking for the good flank routes described in the map description; all of the obvious paths were well covered by people with grenade launchers. For now, though, it's probably my least favorite map in this game alongside Rundown and Scrapyard.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Xux said:
Then we played on Bailout and I went 1:2ish. Still looking for the good flank routes described in the map description;

I love to climb that ladder and shoot people in the back while they fight over that elevated patio type area. Then I set a claymore in the room and jump back out the window. That claymore never fails to get a kill. They always come back to get me.

Miggytronz

i love all the new maps only gripe is FUEL, its way to big for objective games. headquarters is rediculous, it takes a good while after a spawn to reach the capture area depending on where it is on the map.

TDM and Domination are prolly prefered for me on that map.

Xux

Brian Fellows said:
I love to climb that ladder and shoot people in the back while they fight over that elevated patio type area. Then I set a claymore in the room and jump back out the window. That claymore never fails to get a kill. They always come back to get me.

Yeah, I did notice that that ladder's silent when I was exploring during a split-screen match. I'll have to try that.

Arghh, nooo! I just got buzzkilled on 24 kills TWICE in the same match! Unbelievable! Both times I just wanted to camp out the last kill with my sniper, but some heartbeat using loser would show up in my flank. :(

Oh well, went 80-25 sniping, that's not bad. Some kid got pissed and sent me angry messages complaining that I'm a "hard scoper." We're supposed to be ashamed of actually aiming now, guys. :lol

Edit: Now he's complaining that I "spawn-camped" him - I was on the helipad and sniped him once in the building, then by the elevators, then in the building again, etc. The spawn changed every time, does he mean that I'm a psychic spawn camper? :lol

they really should have made a tdm playlist for the maps... i want to check them out but i don't want to play annoying objective types.

USD

Does anyone else notice dropped weapons instantly disappearing? Several times, I've killed guys to try to pick up their weapons, only to find the weapon gone. I've been screwed over multiple times when low on ammo because of this. Sometimes my only option is to run out and die (which ends my killstreak), or to follow teammates and try to grab a weapon off of the dead (which can be incredibly risky, depending on the situation, and of course I might get screwed over again).

Since I just started playing I don't think I am going to/want to spend 30 dollars on maps this weekend.

I would like to play on some of these new maps though, so which pack is recommended?

Anerythristic said:
Since I just started playing I don't think I am going to/want to spend 30 dollars on maps this weekend.

I would like to play on some of these new maps though, so which pack is recommended?

I prefer the new one by far. (Resurgence.)

USD said:
Does anyone else notice dropped weapons instantly disappearing? Several times, I've killed guys to try to pick up their weapons, only to find the weapon gone. I've been screwed over multiple times when low on ammo because of this. Sometimes my only option is to run out and die (which ends my killstreak), or to follow teammates and try to grab a weapon off of the dead (which can be incredibly risky, depending on the situation, and of course I might get screwed over again).

Not a fan of scavenger?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about buying the second map. I don't have the first. Then I realized this map pack won't be out for awhile on the PS3. Now I don't care at all anymore. By the time they come out I won't want to play them. Is there any valid reasoning for delaying it?

zero margin said:
Not a fan of scavenger?
The same problem occurs with Scavenger! Not only do the bags disappear if a teammate walks over them (even if he doesn't have Scav), they will sometimes just disappear for no reason. Something I'm not a fan of when I'm camping and want new Javelins. :(

USD

zero margin said:
Not a fan of scavenger?
I have One Man Army on most of my classes, so ammo's usually not a problem, but on my anti-air support class, I use Bling for my perk 1. Since my secondary is a Stinger, I'm shit out of luck if I run out of ammo.

I am in love with Sleight of Hand Pro!

I am convinced that the quick snap to firing/aiming position animation is much faster.

I am also convinced it wins one on one battles for me.

Miggytronz

sazabirules said:
I was thinking about buying the second map. I don't have the first. Then I realized this map pack won't be out for awhile on the PS3. Now I don't care at all anymore. By the time they come out I won't want to play them. Is there any valid reasoning for delaying it?

no delay really, microsoft paid for a 30day exclusive for the map packs release from Activision.

Top Bottom