• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

CozMick

Banned
If it's not Noobtubes it's RPGs.

If it's not RPGs it's Knifes.

If it's not Knifes it's UMPs from 200yrds.

If it's not UMPs from 200yrds it's bullet sponges.

If it's not bullet sponges it's the guy I killed spawning inside me.............

Arrrggghhh! this game really loves fucking me over, yet I still sit and play it for hours and hours,

USD

CozMick said:
If it's not UMPs from 200yrds it's bullet sponges.
I've never understood this bullet sponge problem. Granted I run around with the FAL, the most powerful non-sniper weapon in the game, but I don't have problems dropping with a M4A1 without Stopping Power (the few random times I've picked one up). What gun are you using?

aku:jiki

I've almost completely reverted to CoD4 now. When it doesn't lag, it's so much more fun. Maybe that's because I've played it less, but I'm just yelling less at the TV right now. :lol

One thing I'm enjoying is how much better sniping is. Not only is the M40A3/R700 superior to the Intervention, but the M21 feels quite a lot better in CoD4 (it has lower rate of fire but higher damage). Too bad about all the ACOG lameness though.

I bought the Variety map pack and so far I like Chinatown, like the idea of Creek (but it's way too hard to play now that everyone else knows it well and I'm still exploring it) and dislike Broadcast. I haven't even seen Killhouse once - does anyone know which playlists it's in?

divisionbyzorro said:
I don't know about you, but whenever I die, it's never my fault. It's always because the other guy is so horrible at this game that he has to resort to the cheapest tactics possible. That's the only explanation because I'm too good to die to random pubby scrubs. I run into a lot of cheap players online too, and I make sure that they know just how horrible they are at the end of every match (especially the ones where they manage to win with their bullshit). Sometimes it makes me want to stop playing, but I have to keep playing and recording my matches; I've got a badass Intervention no-scope montage that I'm working on, and I still need seven more nukes for the nuke emblem. I would have had it by now if it wasn't for those cheap scrubs and their AK-47s. I know I could just join a prestige lobby, but I refuse because everything about me is legit!
This post is blowing my mind! You can't possibly be serious, but I don't get the joke. :(

USD said:
I've never understood this bullet sponge problem. Granted I run around with the FAL, the most powerful non-sniper weapon in the game, but I don't have problems dropping with a M4A1 without Stopping Power (the few random times I've picked one up). What gun are you using?
He means people who lag through the bullets.

Gilatif

aku:jiki said:
I bought the Variety map pack and so far I like Chinatown, like the idea of Creek (but it's way too hard to play now that everyone else knows it well and I'm still exploring it) and dislike Broadcast. I haven't even seen Killhouse once - does anyone know which playlists it's in?

This post is blowing my mind! You can't possibly be serious, but I don't get the joke. :(

He means people who lag through the bullets.

I'm pretty sure Killhouse is only on Free for All. I'm opposite of you on Chinatown and Broadcast. Just didn't like how I knew where someone was on Chinatown but just couldn't seem to get to them.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I'm eagerly anticipating that no-KS playlist.

fourzerotwo said on twitter he'll have more details on that and the new patch with the OMA fix next week

woot

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
So do they ever plan to fix the shield? The amount of bullshit that happens when I play is astounding. I still keep coming back though because its an interesting way to play.

Main killer: Lag. I face someone whos circling around me and they almost always get me. Their killcam shows me sitting still. Great.

2nd: Shooting through the shield. Just shoot at it. The bullets will go through somehow.

3rd: Knifing. You can reach through the shield and knife. So its not even really a shield is it? A figment of my imagination.

4th: Danger close noobtube. Really annoying because there's nothing I can do. I have a shield and blast shield on. I have to crouch so he cant shoot my feet. So he flicks the noobtube on in a quarter-second and instantly shoots.

Cerrius said:
I'm eagerly anticipating that no-KS playlist.

fourzerotwo said on twitter he'll have more details on that and the new patch with the OMA fix next week

woot

Don't get your hopes up. 402 was going on and on about a no-killstreak playlist for Call of Duty 4 and it never ended up happening.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Don't get your hopes up. 402 was going on and on about a no-killstreak playlist for Call of Duty 4 and it never ended up happening.

It should be much easier for MW2 than CoD4. They built a lot more customizability into the custom-game/playlist engine. It's just a matter of turning it on.

Well that was a first, blew up a harrier and an attack chopper at once because the stinger explosion from the harrier took out the chopper as it was next to the blast. No challenge or anything of course.

corkscrewblow said:
Been playing this game again... forgot how rage inducing it is. Fuck.

Seems FPS' might not be your thing if you've already stopped playing before and are already mad again.

divisionbyzorro said:
It should be much easier for MW2 than CoD4. They built a lot more customizability into the custom-game/playlist engine. It's just a matter of turning it on.
True and all, but do we really believe that IW will bother with...well, anything that they can't charge for?

Ok, that was too cynical but still... My faith is zero. (Mostly due to the fact that since picking CoD4 back up, I can't believe how much shit they left unfixed for three years. ACOG sniping being the biggest offender.)

zero margin said:
Well that was a first, blew up a harrier and an attack chopper at once because the stinger explosion from the harrier took out the chopper as it was next to the blast. No challenge or anything of course.
I do that intentionally if I can. :D

zero margin said:
Seems FPS' might not be your thing if you've already stopped playing before and are already mad again.
Oh, come on, that's not fair... IW's games are rage inducing to the max. If it's not lag and ACOG crap in CoD4, it's noobtubes, laggy commando stabs and so on in MW2.

The games are still addictive as fuck, though, and in my opinion they nail something that all other online FPS miss which is why we keep playing. The day another dev nails the gameplay but avoids all the bugs and poor design decisions is a day Activision should fear.

True and all, but do we really believe that IW will bother with...well, anything that they can't charge for?

Ok, that was too cynical but still... My faith is zero. (Mostly due to the fact that since picking CoD4 back up, I can't believe how much shit they left unfixed for three years. ACOG sniping being the biggest offender.)

Someone earlier lamented the fact that the conversation in this thread has gotten stale. You know why that is? Because IW doesn't interact with their players. They don't listen. They don't really care. They've fortunately fixed a few of the game-breaking bugs (javelindom, model 1887s), but they still haven't fixed some of the worst things about this game.

It's a shame really. Like you say, these games still keep us coming back day after day. It's because when you play a game free of all of the annoying shit, it's hands-down the single best multiplayer experience available. Too bad IW/Activision doesn't care about maintaining it - they got their money and now they're done.

I can't believe how much people in this thread have complained about OMA. Grenade launchers aren't that great, and honestly, I'd rather use scavenger for a noob tube class.

OMA isn't even close to being overpowered. Secondary weapons are a huge part of this game. Let's focus our attention on the spawn problem. We need measured, focused rage.

FutureZombie said:
I can't believe how much people in this thread have complained about OMA. Grenade launchers aren't that great, and honestly, I'd rather use scavenger for a noob tube class.

OMA isn't even close to being overpowered. Secondary weapons are a huge part of this game. Let's focus our attention on the spawn problem. We need measured, focused rage.

You're right about the spawns being messed up, but oh-so-wrong about OMA-tubing. You obviously haven't had to deal with teams of tube-spammers before.

Mileena

Banned
zero margin said:
I've been playing competitive FPS' since 2003 and MW2 is clearly the most rage inducing game I've ever played. There's way too much shit in it that allows mediocre players to get tons of kills requiring very little skill. I mean, I like the game (most of the time) but you can't really deny there's tons of balancing issues. If it was kept as "basic" as CoD4 I don't think I'd have a problem.

Spawns are also a huge issue, but not as big an issue as commando and OMA, imo (mainly I play hardcore Search so the terrible spawns in other modes don't piss me off that much)

corkscrewblow said:
I've been playing competitive FPS' since 2003 and MW2 is clearly the most rage inducing game I've ever played. There's way too much shit in it that allows mediocre players to get tons of kills requiring very little skill. I mean, I like the game (most of the time) but you can't really deny there's tons of balancing issues. If it was kept as "basic" as CoD4 I don't think I'd have a problem.

Spawns are also a huge issue, but not as big an issue as commando and OMA, imo (mainly I play hardcore Search so the terrible spawns in other modes don't piss me off that much)

I wasn't trying to be a bastard just seemed you didn't have the doucetastic patience these games recently required. There is games where I am like fuck this forever and that is when I think of

halo-reach2.jpg

and damn it feels good brother

I played this yesterday again for the first time in a very long while (360). Two things right out of the gate...

1. I missed the hell out of this game.
2. I don't have any idea why.

Campers (Trailer Park....wow), Quick-scoping snipers (Intervention apparently FTW), Kenshin-style blademasters, terminators, teammates that run into killsteaks over and over and over without thinking about possibly using a Stinger, a cold-blooded profile, or I dont know, staying away from it. All still there, right where I left them. I love Call of Duty MW2, and despite an anger in my heart that only this game can cause, I still wanted to play 'one more'. I dont know if this speaks well of the game, or perhaps hints at some sort of troubling mental condition I have. :lol

One thing I am trying to do to subdue the anger is NOT watching the killcam. Nothing good will come of it because it will likely at the very least rub you a bit the wrong way EVERY TIME you do.

TheApatheticOne said:
I played this yesterday again for the first time in a very long while (360). Two things right out of the gate...

1. I missed the hell out of this game.
2. I don't have any idea why.

Campers (Trailer Park....wow), Quick-scoping snipers (Intervention apparently FTW), Kenshin-style blademasters, terminators, teammates that run into killsteaks over and over and over without thinking about possibly using a Stinger, a cold-blooded profile, or I dont know, staying away from it. All still there, right where I left them. I love Call of Duty MW2, and despite an anger in my heart that only this game can cause, I still wanted to play 'one more'. I dont know if this speaks well of the game, or perhaps hints at some sort of troubling mental condition I have. :lol

One thing I am trying to do to subdue the anger is NOT watching the killcam. Nothing good will come of it because it will likely at the very least rub you a bit the wrong way EVERY TIME you do.

This blows my mind every time it happens. It's infuriating to have absolutely zero chance of winning a game because the enemy is constantly throwing up UAVs, Harriers, Pave Lows, Chopper Gunners, etc... because two dudes on your team are going 4-25. What's even worse is when they're high level or even on a prestige - you'd think they'd know better by that point!

divisionbyzorro said:
This blows my mind every time it happens. It's infuriating to have absolutely zero chance of winning a game because the enemy is constantly throwing up UAVs, Harriers, Pave Lows, Chopper Gunners, etc... because two dudes on your team are going 4-25. What's even worse is when they're high level or even on a prestige - you'd think they'd know better by that point!

:lol You'd think.

One odd thing I noticed last night.... I didnt noticed ANY noobtubers. Absolutely boatloads of "Marathon-Lightweight-Commando" builds and Snipers everywhere, but I cant recall getting killed by a noobtube once in about two hours of FFA, TDM, S&D and Domination.

Of course, I broke it out in two games with getting irritated that I would be lighting some of these witches up, but I die, and killcam rolls around..... according to the game, when I said I was "lighting some of these witches up", what I actually meant was staring into the eyes of a maniac killer, running straight at me from 20 feet away as I stare, paralyzed in terror, doing absolutely nothing, as the knife plunges into my heart. Simliar to the blade Gin wields in the anime Bleach. I know its no excuse, but after awhile, you just want to have a positive match, and the noobtube gets around the lag/hit box issue MUCH better than bullets do. Im aware thought that it makes me absolutely filthy, and I change after the next match and use a very subpar gun to pay for my sins. :lol

CozMick

Banned
TheApatheticOne said:
:lol You'd think.

One odd thing I noticed last night.... I didnt noticed ANY noobtubers. Absolutely boatloads of "Marathon-Lightweight-Commando" builds and Snipers everywhere, but I cant recall getting killed by a noobtube once in about two hours of FFA, TDM, S&D and Domination.

Because they're always in my server :(

JaMarco

TheApatheticOne said:
teammates that run into killsteaks over and over and over without thinking about possibly using a Stinger, a cold-blooded profile, or I dont know, staying away from it.
I've been playing this game for a long time now and this shit still completely baffles me. I still have no idea how human beings can be that oblivious.

todahawk

Played MW2 for the first time since Bad Company 2 launched in March...

and was dumped into a Dom match where my team was locked down and getting spanked. Quit out and figured I warm up with some Mercenary TDM. Bumped my sensitivity back down to medium, i couldn't play at 8, felt really odd. Actually everything felt odd. I don't know if it was all the BC2 but I didn't run and gun like I used to in MW2, I was much more calculating about where and what I was doing now. Checking corners and lanes of fire better. Was a bit rough but next thing I know I'm running with the SPAS, grip and stopping power and blew through a 8 killstreak to finish the match. Finished 18-10 and had some fun except for one shitty host migration.

Can't believe how fast you die in MW2, but man my aiming seems a ton better and with a hell of a lot more headshots.

Anyone up for some Spec OPs? I still need to finish those.

177fus.jpg

Good evening, America, and all the ships at sea:

I am now officially a member of the National Grenade Association. While playing in the despicable map "Trailer Park," I was trying to plant a Claymore in the doorway of my trailer so that I could contently kick back and drink a cool Coors 16-ouncer while watching a little Mork and Mindy on channel 57 (amazing how they shot a whole show based in Boulder, Colorado, on a sound stage in Burbank -- that's the magic of television), when who should approach but THE ENEMY!!11!1! Well, instead of a Claymore, I had a grenade in my hand (freak class change in the chaos of combat) and I hurl it down at his wounded form and he crumples under the weight of my explosive slam dunk. Boo-yah, SON!! Get off me! Lifetime NGA membership!

I have wanted this emblem for like 6 months. And now it is mine.

Out of curiosity, has anyone here tried the Transformers WFC multiplayer demo? That game looks to be all sorts of awesome. It's like a burrito of Halo, Gears of War, and Call of Duty, all wrapped in a Transformers tortilla. You get class-based combat, with all of the customizable classes, perks, and killstreaks you've come to expect. Plus, it's Transformers, so vehicle combat comes built in and feels natural.

I've been jumping to the demo when I need a break from MW2. It seems like a pretty solid game that could have some legs if the community gets behind it. I'm thinking about picking it up to complement my multiplayer gaming.

It's really funny to see the IW school of problem-fixing between CoD4 and MW2. We could see how they solve problems in the MW2 patches (nerf the shit out of whatever's causing a problem until it's basically useless), but if you play CoD4 and MW2 side by side it's hilariously obvious that this really is the only problem-solving approach IW knows.

Examples:
- ACOG in CoD4 is waaaaaay too easy to use and waaaaaay too accurate; hence, it is completely useless in MW2.
- Deagle could be considered overpowered (I disagree), so it's a pea-shooter in MW2.
- M21 is strong but still spam-capable, so it, too, is a pea-shooter in MW2.
- Frags have an enormous blast radius, so in MW2 they have a tiny blast radius (but the Semtex keeps the old frag radius - wut IW?).
- Attack heli can go fucking nuts in CoD4 and get 10+ kills, so of course it usually gets 0 kills in MW2.

And on the opposite end, the noobtube is fairly useless in CoD4, so they overpowered it to the supermax in MW2. Jesus, IW, is there no middle ground whatsoever with you guys?! :lol

Case said:
I've been playing this game for a long time now and this shit still completely baffles me. I still have no idea how human beings can be that oblivious.
They have the sound off and are blasting 50 Cent so they can feel extra badass when they pull off their |MaDxSKiiLLz| quickscopes. Also, they're probably stoned.

No idea why you would mute a game like this... My flatmate used to, but I've straightened him out and he understands the importance of sound now. :lol

- Deagle could be considered overpowered (I disagree), so it's a pea-shooter in MW2.
- M21 is strong but still spam-capable, so it, too, is a pea-shooter in MW2.

I started using an unsilenced USP45 in CoD4. reloads fast, recoil is managable, and the dropoff is around the same as a P90.

And how exactly is the M21 EBR worse than the M21? Does it have to do with the fact that there's juggernaut in CoD4 but snipers can kill them with two bullets?

BTW: Mini-Uzi + Silencer + Steady Aim = rapid hipfire kills in CoD4 and MW2.

Somebody should crunch the numbers. I know that on paper, there are twenty percent more prestige levels in MW2 than in COD4. But in my head, I'm thinking "everyone knows that each level requires progressively more XP, so the proportionately larger levels 56-70 must add like 50% more time to grinding the levels. What do you think?

I have been watching Youtube vids. People that have the 7-8-9 killstreak set and earn the Harrier strike then sit pretty while the other team sacrifices themselves to the wargods in droves to the killstreaks really should post a disclaimer. :lol

Especially when I have my stinger on my person I pride myself on shooting Harriers down during the fly in animation :D

Alex

Borrowed from a friend, finally playing this a bit lately, because I am very much in the mood for a shooter and I just can't tolerate the lag of Bad Company 2.

But I have to say I'm not having a lot of fun, it seems like a neat game, but it's just truly not for me, I suppose. I'm really picky on shooters nowadays.

I did, however, like what I played of World at War, so maybe I'm just crazy? :lol Maybe I should go buy that. I just want to pick up one decent shooter to pick away at every now and then. Campaign co-op would be nice too.

Sorry for the semi-derail, I haven't really picked out shooters for myself since early 00s on PC.

Stantron

Anyone else have their aim sensitivity settings sometimes randomly reset to default? I don't always notice it right away, but when I check it goes from my high setting back to low. Weird.

I finally unlocked SitRep Pro, which allows to hear enemy footsteps louder. Oh my god this is such an awesome perk. Feels almost like cheating. :lol Not many people seem to use it either.

Definitely agree with others about how rage inducing this game can be. Especially the terrible net code for which lag which seems to be always persistent on some level. When I'm host, I can go on a rampage, when I'm not, it's either almost even, or several bullshit deaths. That's not good.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
DeuceMojo said:
Somebody should crunch the numbers. I know that on paper, there are twenty percent more prestige levels in MW2 than in COD4. But in my head, I'm thinking "everyone knows that each level requires progressively more XP, so the proportionately larger levels 56-70 must add like 50% more time to grinding the levels. What do you think?
I didn't really play a lot of CoD4, so I am not sure. But how do we know that 1-50 wasn't actually the same amount of effort as 1-70 in MW2?

vhfive

Alex said:
Borrowed from a friend, finally playing this a bit lately, because I am very much in the mood for a shooter and I just can't tolerate the lag of Bad Company 2.

But I have to say I'm not having a lot of fun, it seems like a neat game, but it's just truly not for me, I suppose. I'm really picky on shooters nowadays.

I did, however, like what I played of World at War, so maybe I'm just crazy? :lol Maybe I should go buy that. I just want to pick up one decent shooter to pick away at every now and then. Campaign co-op would be nice too.

Sorry for the semi-derail, I haven't really picked out shooters for myself since early 00s on PC.
Halo?

I change between Halo and MW2 a lot depending on my mode. They're are really different so if I start getting sick of one I'll switch to the other. It also has a good campaign with co-op (and firefight if you get ODST).

TestOfTide said:
And how exactly is the M21 EBR worse than the M21? Does it have to do with the fact that there's juggernaut in CoD4 but snipers can kill them with two bullets?
The M21 in CoD4 has a lower rate of fire but higher damage per bullet. In other words, you get less bullshitty damage markers on what you aimed up as a clean chest shot.

TestOfTide said:
BTW: Mini-Uzi + Silencer + Steady Aim = rapid hipfire kills in CoD4 and MW2.
In my experience, the Skorpion is the hipfire beast in CoD4. It sucks at ADS, but destroys fools in hipfire - and as a bonus, it doesn't even require Steady Aim to do it. :D

Ladyboy101 said:
Get out of here with that bullshit!

Sorry, but noobtubes are serious business that must be destroyed.

user_nat said:
I didn't really play a lot of CoD4, so I am not sure. But how do we know that 1-50 wasn't actually the same amount of effort as 1-70 in MW2?
In my anecdotal experience (I am 10th prestige in MW2 and about to reach 3rd in CoD4), lapping a prestige takes much longer in MW2 than it does in CoD4. One prestige in MW2 would take me about a week and a half, I can do it in like 4-5 days in CoD4.

Probably because all the weapon challenges have really low numbers, and they yield around 1500 XP per weapon in total. On this lap, I was done with all marksman challenges before I unlocked the MP44, so that's a bunch of XP right there. That probably boosted me pretty well.

(Thank god for Shipment! It's a shitty map, but it's an XP-grinding dream. I've even used it to level up snipers - just run around and noscope like a madman and you'll still get like 50 kills! :D)

kuYuri

http://fourzerotwo.com/post/723560718/barebonespro

Just uploaded two new playlists to Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer that allow you to play public matches with no Killstreaks in a variety of game modes. This update is currently available on Xbox Live, and will be coming to PC and Playstation 3 alongside the Resurgence Package DLC the week of July 6th. The exact details of each new playlist are below:

Barebones Pro:

Play Team Deathmatch and Free-for-All. All Killstreak rewards are disabled.

Players: 4-8

*Xbox LIVE Party Chat allowed

Objective Barebones Pro:

Play Domination, Demolition, HQ Pro, and Capture the Flag. All Killstreaks rewards are disabled.

Players: 8-12

*Xbox LIVE Party Chat allowed.

Jump online, check out the new modes, and let me know; what do you think?

EDIT: Edited with PC/PS3 release date.

Sweet! I can't get on tonight, but I'll have to get on tomorrow and see how it feels. I get the feeling that might be my new favorite mode.

EDIT 1: It's interesting that it will basically make the Stopping Power the automatic best choice for the Red Perk, with Lightweight as a possible second. Obviously Hardline and Cold-Blooded are pointless, and Danger Close loses half of it's benefit (the Pro upgrade).

EDIT 2: And it should give rise to some new awesome Machinima videos. There's now a new challenge for those vidmakers - see how high they can get their scores without any killstreak rewards to help or hinder.

I'm really excited for this. New playlists bring new life to the game.

Nizz

Stantron said:
Anyone else have their aim sensitivity settings sometimes randomly reset to default? I don't always notice it right away, but when I check it goes from my high setting back to low. Weird.

I finally unlocked SitRep Pro, which allows to hear enemy footsteps louder. Oh my god this is such an awesome perk. Feels almost like cheating. :lol Not many people seem to use it either.

Definitely agree with others about how rage inducing this game can be. Especially the terrible net code for which lag which seems to be always persistent on some level. When I'm host, I can go on a rampage, when I'm not, it's either almost even, or several bullshit deaths. That's not good.
Did that happen on PS3? I'm on PS3 and I swear that happened to me in the past. I play at 4 sensitivity and I swore that everything felt slower to me one time and when I went to the options menu it seemed like the sens had been lowered.

Top Bottom