• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

So I've been cheating on MW2 with BF1943 lately. It's been a good palate cleanser. BF1943 is just good, solid, no-frills shootin' dudes. It never reaches the highs of MW2 at its best, but never ever even comes close to the lows of MW2 at its worst. It really makes me wish that more developers would build solid multiplayer XBLA titles.

divisionbyzorro said:
I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe how I feel about this game better than the commentator on this NGT video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdLQAf1fGU

That said, I don't think that IW simply doesn't have the skill to make the game balanced. I think that the ridiculous timetable imposed on them by Activision is what ruins these games.

That guys an idiot, he goes on about how broken the 1887's were, and then like a minute later talks about since the 1887's are the highest level, they should be the best shotgun. Cause that'll make the game balanced?

PedroLumpy said:
That guys an idiot, he goes on about how broken the 1887's were, and then like a minute later talks about since the 1887's are the highest level, they should be the best shotgun. Cause that'll make the game balanced?

Pay closer attention. He says that they took the godlike level 67 shotgun and made it into a water pistol that's outclassed in every way by the level 1 shotgun. His point is that IW took the lazy route - when something's OP'd, they nerf it to the point of making it useless rather than actually fixing it.

DoomGyver

divisionbyzorro said:
So I've been cheating on MW2 with BF1943 lately. It's been a good palate cleanser. BF1943 is just good, solid, no-frills shootin' dudes. It never reaches the highs of MW2 at its best, but never ever even comes close to the lows of MW2 at its worst. It really makes me wish that more developers would build solid multiplayer XBLA titles.
Blacklight comes out next week and it looks pretty good.

I think apart from the stupidity of the stinger being locked until level 30 the balance is pretty good. You can't really complain about having an underpowered gun when the UMP is unlocked straight away. Then on the AR side you have a solid, accurate weapon, a 3 burst devastator and the powerful scar all available before level 8.

celestial body said:
I think apart from the stupidity of the stinger being locked until level 30 the balance is pretty good. You can't really complain about having an underpowered gun when the UMP is unlocked straight away. Then on the AR side you have a solid, accurate weapon, a 3 burst devastator and the powerful scar all available before level 8.

Yeah they shouldve definitely had like a default starter class with an RPG in it so you can do SOMETHING to air support. You have no cold blooded, nor a viable propelled explosive until the stinger. Its garbage.

Anyway, have you guys seen this?

Cardboard Warfare!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE-ZmwATS8E

Special effects are pretty good, I was pretty impressed.

aku:jiki

Man, one of the weirdest things about WaW, after playing the MW's for so long, is how most weapons actually have recoil. It's actually confusing to me at times! :lol

Have to say that I don't get all the hype about the MP40 and how it's this game's M16/ACR/UMP... I think the Type 100 is way better, and the STG-44 is obviously this game's ACR. :D

Getting better at taking out tanks, so I'm not as annoyed by them anymore. The dogs...the dogs are all right on a decent host, when I can actually knife them without missing. On a bad host, they can eat a dick.

celestial body said:
Weapon balance and when/how you unlock something are two entirely different things.

Lionheart1827 said:
Yeah they shouldve definitely had like a default starter class with an RPG in it so you can do SOMETHING to air support. You have no cold blooded, nor a viable propelled explosive until the stinger. Its garbage.
One of the default classes has the AT4, which is a much better rocket for anti-air than the RPG.

For the first time, I did a team deathmatch as a ninja shotgunner. It was so different and awesome to be running around full speed, trying to stay behind cover as I ran, shooting people up.

Ended up something like 20:15, which is higher deaths than usual, but it was crazy fun. I want to duel wield. I have no idea what took me so long to give shotgun life a shot.

venom2124

aku:jiki said:
Man, one of the weirdest things about WaW, after playing the MW's for so long, is how most weapons actually have recoil. It's actually confusing to me at times! :lol

Have to say that I don't get all the hype about the MP40 and how it's this game's M16/ACR/UMP... I think the Type 100 is way better, and the STG-44 is obviously this game's ACR. :D
The overuse of the mp40 is the result of its ridiculous power. With Stopping Power, it's usually a 2 hit kill, 1 shot headshot from close range. With juggernaut, it's usually a 3 hit kill. Add to that the double mags and you get the strongest non-sniper gun in the game with the ammo capacity of an lmg with none of the slowdown or long reload time.

WAW is my favorite of the CODs, and I feel it's well balanced except for the mp40. I've read that the PC version was actually patched to bring the mp40 back to normal smg levels. If the consoles were given that patch, it would have been the perfect multiplayer game. I play regularly and only use the mp40 when I pick off a dead body. STG44 is probably the best all around gun in the game. I also love the MG42, unscoped KAR98, and the FG42. Come to think of it, I pretty much roll with all the Nazi weaponry except the mp40.

venom2124 said:
STG44 is probably the best all around gun in the game. I also love the MG42, unscoped KAR98, and the FG42.
I think I like the Mosin-Nagant more than the KAR98 (if only because when you bolt the Mosin, a shell comes flying out and that looks badass) and I like the Type-99 more than the MG42 (once you get over the horrid iron sights, the T99 is amazing)...but! The FG42 is my new favorite weapon in any CoD. God damn that thing is a beast! Put Sleight of Hand and Bandolier on that bad boy and you're ready to destroy leagues of noobs. Best part is that with SoH, it reloads so damn fast that I've had time to reload 3 times in a single close quarters firefight! :D

It's too bad the iron sights are a little off (the damage markers appear slightly up to the right of the point on the sight), but that doesn't cause too much trouble. Overall, though, I might agree that this is the tightest of the modern CoD's - most things have been thought through and designed well, unlike IW games. I just hope Treyarch have the balls (and Activision permission) to strip some CoD "classics" like Martyrdom, Last Stand, Juggernaut and noobtubes from Black Ops. Those are like the only things that really annoy me about WaW.

I think I like the Mosin-Nagant more than the KAR98 (if only because when you bolt the Mosin, a shell comes flying out and that looks badass) and I like the Type-99 more than the MG42 (once you get over the horrid iron sights, the T99 is amazing)...but! The FG42 is my new favorite weapon in any CoD. God damn that thing is a beast! Put Sleight of Hand and Bandolier on that bad boy and you're ready to destroy leagues of noobs. Best part is that with SoH, it reloads so damn fast that I've had time to reload 3 times in a single close quarters firefight! :D

It's too bad the iron sights are a little off (the damage markers appear slightly up to the right of the point on the sight), but that doesn't cause too much trouble. Overall, though, I might agree that this is the tightest of the modern CoD's - most things have been thought through and designed well, unlike IW games. I just hope Treyarch have the balls (and Activision permission) to strip some CoD "classics" like Martyrdom, Last Stand, Juggernaut and noobtubes from Black Ops. Those are like the only things that really annoy me about WaW.

You're making me want to buy W@W again :lol

Only $20 used at GameStop. Someone stop me before I do it!

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
divisionbyzorro said:
You're making me want to buy W@W again :lol

Only $20 used at GameStop. Someone stop me before I do it!

Might as well mention COD3, imho it was the best balanced of all the COD games in terms of great maps & weapons.
The graphics take a hit, but there is still a active community for it I believe.

RJNavarrete said:
Get it and we can party up [on 360?] :D
Yes! You guys can join my team (which currently consists of two players :lol). Seriously though, I think both me and my friend would love some backup. The WaW community really is absolutely horrible at CoD. :lol

FTWer said:
Might as well mention COD3, imho it was the best balanced of all the COD games in terms of great maps & weapons.
The graphics take a hit, but there is still a active community for it I believe.
How about CoD classic for XBLA/PSN, does anybody play that online? I've been thinking of getting it, but I'd mostly be interested in checking out the MP...

Yes! You guys can join my team (which currently consists of two players :lol). Seriously though, I think both me and my friend would love some backup. The WaW community really is absolutely horrible at CoD. :lol

How about CoD classic for XBLA/PSN, does anybody play that online? I've been thinking of getting it, but I'd mostly be interested in checking out the MP...
My GT is in my profile. Send me a request.... I'll be on tonight. :D

VALKYRAY

Banned
celestial body said:
I don't really notice much of a difference between the M4 and ACR myself. They are both 30-20 damage, ultra accurate ARs. Mag size is the same. ACR has an ever so slightly higher rate of fire but really negligable and they both have the same reload time (1.12). No real need to wait until level 48, I guess maybe if you prefer the ironsight of one over the other...
it seems that some of the m4's bullets don't register, it takes more shots to kill than the ACR, especiall over longer distances.

I assume its been mentioned but me and my friends were getting a weird glitch last night, I changed my attachments on weapon (with bling) to thermal scope and silencer, when I selected it while playing it was RDS and silencer, happened a few times to all of us and was a bit annoying.

CozMick

Banned
What's the general consensus on the Resurgence map pack?

Releases tomorrow on PSN and just wanted to know if it's worth the £10.99.

The Stimulus map pack was quite possibly the biggest waste of money I've ever spent, Crash is the ultimate Call of Duty map and is a "classic" but Overgrown and the new 3 are utter toss in my opinion.

Sandy Ravage just posted another video where he gets three nukes in one game. He said they were talking trash before the game, so he was determined to humiliate. :lol

iNvidious01 said:
A Lovely Assortment of Clips Coupled With Some Epic Music (Sometime referred to as a montage) - A Montage by iNvidious01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WSZ-9dEzro

That first comment really hits the nail on the head:

It feels like Optimus Prime just saved to world from complete destruction

:lol

AnEternalEnigma said:
Sandy Ravage just posted another video where he gets three nukes in one game. He said they were talking trash before the game, so he was determined to humiliate. :lol

Link please!

Rickard

AnEternalEnigma said:

Sandy ravage is a she.

At least they claim it's a she.

rezuth

I swear that I think many people I met online are using some sort of mouse+keyboard input thing. They move in a very PC like way.

iNvid02

its a guy, but poses as a girl and gets chicks to commentate
as it leads to more views, majority of gamers = guys.

guys like girls
simples

iNvidious01 said:
A Lovely Assortment of Clips Coupled With Some Epic Music (Sometime referred to as a montage) - A Montage by iNvidious01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WSZ-9dEzro
Nice! The EMP/nuke montage at the end was epic. And it makes me want to cry because I didn't record my javelin-multikill-for-nuke (50th time posting this!).

What's the song?

AnEternalEnigma said:
Is that the first 3 nukes in one game vid? I hadn't heard of anyone doing it, just heard that Whiteboy7thst has been trying forever but can't pull it off. Despite already having like 450 nukes! :lol

iNvid02

Nice! The EMP/nuke montage at the end was epic. And it makes me want to cry because I didn't record my javelin-multikill-for-nuke (50th time posting this!).

What's the song?

Is that the first 3 nukes in one game vid? I hadn't heard of anyone doing it, just heard that Whiteboy7thst has been trying forever but can't pull it off. Despite already having like 450 nukes! :lol

song is two steps from hell dragon rider
and markofj got 3 nukes a while ago, and so has this other dude on youtube with a few views (he has bad quality so not many watch it)
sandy is prob 4th or 5th, maybe later to get it.

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, just wondering something.

Kinda new to Call of Duty in general, but how do sales for the map packs work, specifically COD4 and WaW.

Will there be a sale on MW2 map packs? How did COD4 and Waw handle map pack sales? Did they bundle them in the end and offer them for a lower price?

Mikey Jr. said:

Kinda new to Call of Duty in general, but how do sales for the map packs work, specifically COD4 and WaW.

Will there be a sale on MW2 map packs? How did COD4 and Waw handle map pack sales? Did they bundle them in the end and offer them for a lower price?

WAW bundled them, like 2 years later, MW1 did not. I expect no bundles on the new ones for MW2 either. If u want them, ull have to buy them separate, unless u wanna wait 2 years.

Silly.Mikey said:
WAW bundled them, like 2 years later, MW1 did not. I expect no bundles on the new ones for MW2 either. If u want them, ull have to buy them separate, unless u wanna wait 2 years.

MW1 did but they no longer do. They included the map pack with the game of the year edition. They still sell this edition but no longer include the map pack code for some reason, even though thats how its advertised.

Accidentus

Neo Member
Has anyone seen that 3 nuke RPD gameplay on Terminal. I'm pretty sure it was on Machinima respawn. I can't seem to find it, was it taken down?

Accidentus said:
Has anyone seen that 3 nuke RPD gameplay on Terminal. I'm pretty sure it was on Machinima respawn. I can't seem to find it, was it taken down?

I saw it on MR as well. Pretty impressive because he does it with an AC-130 instead of a CG. Although he doesn't have enough time to call his nuke in, so...we'll let you guys argue about whether or not that counts :lol

kuYuri

Mikey Jr. said:

CoD4 has had at least 2 occasions where they have discounted the Variety Map Pack to 50% off. WaW has a bundle in which you save $5, but they did discount the bundle for a week once.

MW2 map packs could get discounts (not counting Steam's 10% off preorders), but it probably won't happen for some months, if ever.

Lionheart1827 said:
MW1 did but they no longer do. They included the map pack with the game of the year edition. They still sell this edition but no longer include the map pack code for some reason, even though thats how its advertised.

The only time it's advertised is when there's a sticker on it that says a voucher is included with the map pack. It was a limited time thing, none of the GotY versions should have this sticker on it anymore.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I cant buy a decent fucking connection these last few days. Normally I can deal with it and still do pretty good but I just prestiged so I don't have my normal kit yet. It makes things a wee bit more difficult.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
cdyhybrid said:
I hate you!

On an unrelated note, I finally hit 10th Prestige. Almost have my Claymores back...and I'll never lose them again <3

Yes how I miss them so at the moment. Only 5 more levels!

Going back to the sniping discussion we had earlier, I've been getting more into it (thanks to CoD4 and WaW, where it's much easier!) and learned a few things that are probably obvious to everyone but me.

First off, half-scoped quickscopes use the reticule, not the scope! When you start scoping in, the reticule starts getting smaller - the further you scope, the smaller it gets. I felt really stupid when I realized that. :lol

Also this video, which solves the mystery of why some snipers run around and mash Y all the time (you know, their rifle bounces up and down before they fire) - it's because that makes the shot more accurate! I thought they did it to look cool or something. :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X16Ba-xYB1w

I still can't pull it off very well, I think because I actually kinda use the weapon to aim, not the reticule. I have to like re-learn how to aim in an FPS to start pulling this off, and it's why I can't kill for shit with a handgun in WaW (it pulls away as if you were running as soon as you move even an inch)... :lol

Finally, some annoyingly vain chick raps about CoD4 :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SB2LmQztJ0
And, hell, some dude rapping about WaW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrLGRnu5JK4

CozMick said:
I'm one of the lucky ones that gets host 99% of the time :D
Felt like I was host most of my time playing on Sat. Run into 3 enemies and I could take them all down.:D
Play yesterday and get my ass handed to me more often then not. =(
I decided I like host better.

Top Bottom