• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

cdyhybrid

Boy, I sure am enjoying playing on Trailer Park, Vacant, and Carnival every fucking game. I wish they would keep the increased priority for the new maps in the fucking map pack playlists. I've gotten completely sick of both map packs within a week because it's always the same god damn maps.

aku:jiki

BigNastyCurve said:
Wow. I didn't actually know the Intervention hitbox was so fucked up. I thought it was just lag. No wonder I want to yell "BULLSHIT" at the TV whenever I'm hit by quickscope Intervention fag.
You want to yell at the TV? Shit, all our neighbours know exactly when we're playing MW. My flatmate complains that I yell at the TV too much, but he starts doing it himself immediately when he grabs the controller. :lol

(This situation just occured as I typed this! We're playing CoD4 and he was complaining about my whining, then he took over and now he's yelling up a storm at campers and quickscopers. :lol)

divisionbyzorro said:
That said, I don't think that IW simply doesn't have the skill to make the game balanced. I think that the ridiculous timetable imposed on them by Activision is what ruins these games.
I'm not sure I buy that at all. It was like 3 years between CoD4 and MW2 and IW knows - or should know, unless they're really stupid - is that the multiplayer is what really sells the game.

Point is, maybe they should've spent less time on fancy cutscenes of EMP's in space and more on balancing weapons. I don't think three years is a short dev time, but even if Activision pressured them for time, they could've spent that time in better ways.

aku:jiki said:
I'm not sure I buy that at all. It was like 3 years between CoD4 and MW2 and IW knows - or should know, unless they're really stupid - is that the multiplayer is what really sells the game.

Point is, maybe they should've spent less time on fancy cutscenes of EMP's in space and more on balancing weapons. I don't think three years is a short dev time, but even if Activision pressured them for time, they could've spent that time in better ways.

Two years, actually. Halo Reach got three, and they were smart enough to have a long-lasting beta. And long-lasting multiplayer isn't what sells the game. Do you think that the 25 million copies sold are still playing the game online? The game was sold with Eminem rapping over images from the single-player campaign, not with commercials showing how awesome and balanced the multiplayer is.

Treyarch has been promising that they've had a dedicated multiplayer team from day one. We'll see how well that holds up. They also need to have a beta with an accelerated leveling system to test out all the various weapons, and one that lasts long enough to make sure they haven't OP'd any of the late level stuff.

EDIT: On the flip side, they could just do what IW should have done with MW2. You know how they have a dedicated server which hosts the playlists for MW2? And how they can fix certain bugs by editing playlist information? They should have servers dedicated to serving weapon stats, perk buffs, etc. This way they can tweak weapon and perk balance on the fly without having to issue title updates and going through cert. Let's face it - it's expensive to issue a patch for MW2, and the suits at Activision aren't going to foot the bill unless they think they'll get some money for it. So IW can only fix things when they issue title updates for map packs, since they'll get return for their investment.

Accidentus

Neo Member
If we're talking about just weapons, I think IW has actually done a decent job. I just think it's everything else they can't balance (perks, killstreaks, attachments). There's really no "God" gun in this game like there was in COD4 (M16) or WaW (MP40). Ask a group of long time players what the best gun is and you'd probably get a list of 5-6 guns.

divisionbyzorro said:
Treyarch has been promising that they've had a dedicated multiplayer team from day one. We'll see how well that holds up.
Yeah, but it's Treyarch.

Accidentus said:
If we're talking about just weapons, I think IW has actually done a decent job. I just think it's everything else they can't balance (perks, killstreaks, attachments). There's really no "God" gun in this game like there was in COD4 (M16) or WaW (MP40). Ask a group of long time players what the best gun is and you'd probably get a list of 5-6 guns.

ARs in general are too good. Simply adding idle sway would do a lot for weapon balance in this game.

Accidentus said:
Yeah, but it's Treyarch.

And that doesn't mean they're bad. W@W was a good game - it was no better or worse than CoD4.

divisionbyzorro said:
And long-lasting multiplayer isn't what sells the game. Do you think that the 25 million copies sold are still playing the game online?
Maybe not 25, but a good 5 are still playing it online. And that alone is fucking massive. I'm not sure why you are even arguing that the multiplayer is a huge part of CoD's success? As far as I can see, it's obviously a huge factor. Anecdotal and all, but I know more people who haven't even touched the SP than I know people who only played the campaign and then pawned the game...

You can't really do 360 noscope montages in singleplayer, after all!

Accidentus said:
There's really no "God" gun in this game like there was in COD4 (M16) or WaW (MP40).
UMP45. Anyone who writes a list of other weapons just got bored of using the UMP and forgot how good it is. (I've done that myself.)

Maybe not 25, but a good 5 are still playing it online. And that alone is fucking massive. I'm not sure why you are even arguing that the multiplayer is a huge part of CoD's success? As far as I can see, it's obviously a huge factor. Anecdotal and all, but I know more people who haven't even touched the SP than I know people who only played the campaign and then pawned the game...

I'm not saying it's not part of the success, but I would bet that everyone here would be insanely surprised at the number of copies that were sold and never went online. No, I'm not pretending to have access to insider information or anything; I just know from things I've read and heard that the people who play online are still in the minority. Hell, last I heard, somewhere around 50% of XBox 360 consoles don't even have Gold accounts.

I'm just saying that MW2 didn't sell 25 million copies because they all just wanted to play the multiplayer. I'd be willing to wager that a very large slice of that pie never even touched it.

EDIT: And I find this amusing:

2ajp5z6.png

Looks at the views/posts. GAF in action.

Accidentus

Neo Member
divisionbyzorro said:
And that doesn't mean they're bad. W@W was a good game - it was no better or worse than CoD4.
I would disagree with this. Take away dogs and tanks then I'd be more inclined to put it on the level of COD4. I do agree that WaW gets a bad rap though.

USD

The only things that bug me in Modern Warfare 2 are the spawns (which are hated universally) and to a much lesser extent Heartbeat Sensors (which keep me from playing my preferred class because some camper has a magical device showing my location).

I just bought WaW like an hour ago - I'm pretty impressed so far! I was expecting much worse, but this feels good so far. The menu systems and game summary, etc, are vastly superior to IW's attempts at it and the movement and aiming is perfect. It's too bad WaW is WWII though - what they could come up with is pretty limited. Would've liked to see what they can come up with in the way of more modern weapons and attachments, etc.

Activision can suck a dick for this shit with trying to force us to buy the maps though (if you don't have them, the game will still search for matches using them and when it finds one, which is all the time, it brings up a purchasing screen). Worst shit I've ever seen in a game. Fuck you, Kotick.

Brian Fellows said:
What was so bad about the dogs?
After playing like 5 matches, I'd say it's pretty horrible that they don't show up on UAV if you have one on. Pretty lame to be on a streak and have no clue where the dogs keep coming from. It doesn't feel like you get much of a warning that they're coming either - just all of a sudden, something is chewing on your ass.

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm not saying it's not part of the success, but I would bet that everyone here would be insanely surprised at the number of copies that were sold and never went online. No, I'm not pretending to have access to insider information or anything; I just know from things I've read and heard that the people who play online are still in the minority. Hell, last I heard, somewhere around 50% of XBox 360 consoles don't even have Gold accounts.
That's all true, but I still can't agree that the MP is not important. I mean, the free advertising Activision gets in the form of montages, commentations, funny videos like that one you posted yesterday, etc, are all based around MP. Sure, you're probably right that the vast majority of people buy CoD and just play the SP, but the MP is what gets talked about and lives on in various ways.

My point was always just that the MP is highly important and can't be shunned, though, and I don't think you disagree with that.

I NEVER understood the beef with the dogs. They basically yelled "Im coming, Im coming", and any weapon could kill them. Yeah, you would get killed here and there, but that should happen. A 7 kill streak perk should be halfway effective. I actually like them. It blows my mind when I hear MW2 players on XBL talk about WaW and talk about how horrible the dogs and tanks were. Same goes for 3x frag and martydom in MW1. SERIOUSLY?? I would take dogs, tanks, 3x frag and martydom every day of the week to not deal with the stuff in MW2. Thats just IMO of course. :D

After playing like 5 matches, I'd say it's pretty horrible that they don't show up on UAV if you have one on. Pretty lame to be on a streak and have no clue where the dogs keep coming from. It doesn't feel like you get much of a warning that they're coming either - just all of a sudden, something is chewing on your ass.

I'm sure you've seen this, but there's a high-level perk called "Reconnaissance" which makes dogs and airstrikes show up on the radar. It's one of the best Tier 3 perks.

That's all true, but I still can't agree that the MP is not important. I mean, the free advertising Activision gets in the form of montages, commentations, funny videos like that one you posted yesterday, etc, are all based around MP. Sure, you're probably right that the vast majority of people buy CoD and just play the SP, but the MP is what gets talked about and lives on in various ways.

My point was always just that the MP is highly important and can't be shunned, though, and I don't think you disagree with that.

No, I don't disagree with that. My point was basically to say that IW didn't spend two solid years with the MP for MW2 - and it shows.

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm sure you've seen this, but there's a high-level perk called "Reconnaissance" which makes dogs and airstrikes show up on the radar. It's one of the best Tier 3 perks.
That does sound pretty awesome, considering everybody who still plays this is good enough to call in dogs all the time. The noob playlist had nobody but me in it. :lol

I'm still liking it after a dozen more matches. Bolt action rifles are awesome! The tanks and the maps they're on (SO HUGE) can suck it too though - this ain't Battlefield, Treyarch, and we don't want it to be. I hope they learn that for Black Ops.

That does sound pretty awesome, considering everybody who still plays this is good enough to call in dogs all the time. The noob playlist had nobody but me in it. :lol

I'm still liking it after a dozen more matches. Bolt action rifles are awesome! The tanks and the maps they're on (SO HUGE) can suck it too though - this ain't Battlefield, Treyarch, and we don't want it to be. I hope they learn that for Black Ops.

Mosin-Nagant FTW. Unscoped, of course. Who needs a sissy sniper scope.

Have you linked up your account for online stat tracking yet?

EDIT: Oh, and the big maps are awesome for the "War" gametype, which is probably the best thing about W@W.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

You'll learn to sense them. Most people do. They really don't get you many kills when you call them in.

divisionbyzorro said:

God I wish they'd have done something similar with MW2. My guns stats would be crazily lopsided. I've probably got 20,000 kills with the SCAR and next would the TAR with maybe 3000. It would also be cool to see my stats broken down by maps and by game mode not that even WaW has that.

divisionbyzorro said:

EDIT: Oh, and the big maps are awesome for the "War" gametype, which is probably the best thing about W@W.

That's one of the many things I miss about WAW the- unscoped bolt actions. They suck when you're learning but so deadly when you get good with em.

divisionbyzorro said:
What made me make the post was the Asiraka(?), haven't unlocked the Nagant yet. But, yes, scope-less rules! I kinda wish that was an option in MW now. :D

divisionbyzorro said:
I went to the website right away when you posted this, because that sounds awesome, but it just keeps rejecting my "VIP code", saying it "can't find a gamertag with the VIP code" or some shit. :(

I went to the website right away when you posted this, because that sounds awesome, but it just keeps rejecting my "VIP code", saying it "can't find a gamertag with the VIP code" or some shit. :(

Really? I hope they haven't turned it off or something stupid like that. I remember having problems with it initially though too; maybe you just need to keep trying :)

zam

That's all true, but I still can't agree that the MP is not important. I mean, the free advertising Activision gets in the form of montages, commentations, funny videos like that one you posted yesterday, etc, are all based around MP.
Not to mention all the celebrities talking about cod mp like Wil Arnett and Ice-T

R2D4 said:
ACR. It's like a laser rifle.
The ACR is like a laser, yes, but it is by no means a god weapon. I'd much rather use the TAR or the UMP (and so do lots of other people) than the ACR. Higher damage and once you learn to handle the recoil it's really easy to destroy the bad players running around with ACRs.

Been playing WaW all night and I'm still feeling it. The map thing is really being a downer (because it means I get tossed off of good hosts constantly), but the game itself rocks. I'm especially loving the bolt-action's, all of which have a better feel than any sniper rifle in any IW game IMO, and the regular rifles - I love how they're like faster-firing and more accurate FAL's (yes, that's possible!). It's really cool to me how you can snap a sniper scope on regular rifles and go iron sights only on snipers. I love getting a cross-the-map headshot with the Springfield with no scope. :D

Some things I'm liking more than in IW's games:

- Menu system and everything around that is so much better, it's retarded.
- I love the humor. Hearing nazis yelling about pleasing the fuhrer never gets old! (And I REALLY thought it would before playing...)
- It's cool that your fellow player models will talk about stuff other than just "deploying C4!" They warn you of incoming grenades and can say random shit like "Why won't you die?!" (Which is the most perfect thing a CoD character could ever say. :lol)
- Some actual options! The only really useful one is the one that lets you remove player names, but still... That's more than IW ever offered. :lol
- Graphics have a nicer style than IW's, I think.
- Minor gripe, but in all IW's games, the models will twist and turn and mess around when they're being shot. I really hate how that can end up giving the opponent a freebie kill because his model was bobbing and weaving when the player was doing no such thing at all. Doesn't really happen in WaW.

Some things that blow:

- Tanks are a dumb idea when there's no easy way to counter them. Yeah, I read about satchels...which are unlocked at level like a billion. Until that, I can basically do nothing but run away from them. Boring!
- Dogs could have less health. Getting swarmed by three is a guaranteed death and that sucks. It's not like I can hide inside like I can from Harriers and Apaches...
- Streaks in general last too long. Artillery and dogs last for-fucking-ever. Shorten that shit for Black Ops!
- Humor in the wrong places, or unintentional humor. The models look really fucking goofy when they run, for example.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Some things that blow:

- Tanks are a dumb idea when there's no easy way to counter them. Yeah, I read about satchels...which are unlocked at level like a billion. Until that, I can basically do nothing but run away from them. Boring!
- Dogs could have less health. Getting swarmed by three is a guaranteed death and that sucks. It's not like I can hide inside like I can from Harriers and Apaches...
- Streaks in general last too long. Artillery and dogs last for-fucking-ever. Shorten that shit for Black Ops!
- Humor in the wrong places, or unintentional humor. The models look really fucking goofy when they run, for example.

Dogs track you wherever you are, so EXPECT to see at least one when they are called in. Don't go off facing other players as long as there are dogs on the map, dig in a position & finish the dogs off first (there is a limited number of them) & then go back to playing.

The animations also look identical to MW1 to me.

kuYuri

Been playing WaW all night and I'm still feeling it. The map thing is really being a downer (because it means I get tossed off of good hosts constantly), but the game itself rocks. I'm especially loving the bolt-action's, all of which have a better feel than any sniper rifle in any IW game IMO, and the regular rifles - I love how they're like faster-firing and more accurate FAL's (yes, that's possible!). It's really cool to me how you can snap a sniper scope on regular rifles and go iron sights only on snipers. I love getting a cross-the-map headshot with the Springfield with no scope. :D

Some things I'm liking more than in IW's games:

- Menu system and everything around that is so much better, it's retarded.
- I love the humor. Hearing nazis yelling about pleasing the fuhrer never gets old! (And I REALLY thought it would before playing...)
- It's cool that your fellow player models will talk about stuff other than just "deploying C4!" They warn you of incoming grenades and can say random shit like "Why won't you die?!" (Which is the most perfect thing a CoD character could ever say. :lol)
- Some actual options! The only really useful one is the one that lets you remove player names, but still... That's more than IW ever offered. :lol
- Graphics have a nicer style than IW's, I think.
- Minor gripe, but in all IW's games, the models will twist and turn and mess around when they're being shot. I really hate how that can end up giving the opponent a freebie kill because his model was bobbing and weaving when the player was doing no such thing at all. Doesn't really happen in WaW.

Some things that blow:

Both Rifleman and Sniper default classes has Satchel Charge by default.

Also, things I love about WaW is the squad system (squad members have blue text over their head), back out with party option (can't believe IW didn't add this in MW2),assist points are based on how much damage was dealt by you when your teammate finished them off (also this), and challenges for other game modes besides TDM, Hardcore TDM, FFA, and S&D.

Some things that blow:

- Tanks were pretty brutal when the game was new, but they get wiped out so fast now it's not even worth worrying about them. Even if you don't have satchels, rockets or another tank someone else will surely take them out. They can get annoying when your team constantly lets the enemy control all of them on the map or people park them outside of objective locations in objective modes, but I really don't recall them lasting long while I was still playing.

- Dogs are so easy to avoid it's not even funny. You hear them barking a mile away, they have set points where they spawn in that you can camp & wipe'em out early and they can't climb ladders or go in deep water. I wouldn't say getting swarmed by 3 is guaranteed death at all if you prep for their attack. As soon as you hear they're called in, get ready. Find a nice corner to defend yourself and plant some bouncing betties or satchels if you have them in door ways. If a pack of 3 does happen to find you don't forget you can knife the 3rd if you empty your clip on the first 2. If all else fails, jump in a tank/tank gunner seat and wait it out.

- I personally find artillery strikes way more ineffective than air strikes in CoD4. It doesn't matter that they last longer - if you're going to get killed by them, it'll be by the first strike. When you respawn you should be far away and they're so visible it's not like you're just going to run back into it.

- I don't recall any humor in WaW at all. At least there's nothing as silly as all the pot references and other stupid titles in MW2.

I *reaaaaaaally* hope they can resist MW2-ing Black Ops and filling it with everything they can. It's kind of funny going back to WaW and CoD4 and not having things constantly popping up in front of your face. They feel so barren now.

amar212

I really love dogs, I really hate tanks.

Tanks should never respawn, espcialy not in HQ modes. They've ruined the whole WaW experience for me.

On the other hand, dgos are the best anti-camper weapon ever concieved.

I even thought about an perk where you'd kill some annoying camper/sniper for instance, and then "took" his scent if you'd have some appropriate "scent collector" perk equiped. When you reach your dog-killstreak, Scent Collector would "show" the dogs where that particular camper/sniper is and they'll head to him instantly.

Whatever.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Keep an MP40 class on standby. If they get you once switch to that class give them some hip fire goodness. They won't get you a second time.

Strider2K99 said:
Also, things I love about WaW is the squad system (squad members have blue text over their head), back out with party option (can't believe IW didn't add this in MW2),assist points are based on how much damage was dealt by you when your teammate finished them off (also this), and challenges for other game modes besides TDM, Hardcore TDM, FFA, and S&D.
Yes, that part rules! Your assist points also contribute towards the TDM score, which also rules. Now, for Black Ops, they just need to tweak so that if I do 90% of the damage and some fucker comes running out of nowhere and sprays to get the last bullet in, I still get the kill and he gets the assist.

SupaFly said:
- I don't recall any humor in WaW at all. At least there's nothing as silly as all the pot references and other stupid titles in MW2.
Really? All the voice clips are super satirical, and all the animations are like something out of a Chaplin movie.

SupaFly said:
- Tanks were pretty brutal when the game was new, but they get wiped out so fast now it's not even worth worrying about them. Even if you don't have satchels, rockets or another tank someone else will surely take them out. They can get annoying when your team constantly lets the enemy control all of them on the map or people park them outside of objective locations in objective modes, but I really don't recall them lasting long while I was still playing.
Unfortunately, nobody destroys them anymore (on 360). It's like in CoD4, if you want to get rid of a chopper nowadays, you absolutely have to do it yourself. The player base in WaW, so far, seems even worse and dumber than the base in CoD4! I've only played WaW for one night, but in those hours I saw some of the worst killcams I've ever seen. :lol

Yes, that part rules! Your assist points also contribute towards the TDM score, which also rules. Now, for Black Ops, they just need to tweak so that if I do 90% of the damage and some fucker comes running out of nowhere and sprays to get the last bullet in, I still get the kill and he gets the assist.

but in that case you didn't get the kill. you only wore him down (to the brink of death of course but still you only wore him down)

amar212 said:
I even thought about an perk where you'd kill some annoying camper/sniper for instance, and then "took" his scent if you'd have some appropriate "scent collector" perk equiped. When you reach your dog-killstreak, Scent Collector would "show" the dogs where that particular camper/sniper is and they'll head to him instantly.

Just wanted to say that I really, really like this idea.

Patrick Bateman said:
Arr, I don't know if I should buy the Resurgence-pack. :(

I gotta say I am surprised at how mediocre and uninteresting the new maps are. Strike and Vacant are the best maps in the pack. The other 3 just aren't that fun most of the time.

Bah, I can't believe I'm letting Kotick win with this map pack bullshit in WaW, but I can't take being tossed out of the lobby every 2nd match I play and it got even worse when some friends wanted to play with me and they had the maps, so I had to buy the shitty map bundle. :(

foomfoom415 said:
I gotta say I am surprised at how mediocre and uninteresting the new maps are. Strike and Vacant are the best maps in the pack. The other 3 just aren't that fun most of the time.
This is thoroughly untrue! Resurgence is a way better map pack than Stimulus was. Carnival and Trailer Park are awesome.

Bah, I can't believe I'm letting Kotick win with this map pack bullshit in WaW, but I can't take being tossed out of the lobby every 2nd match I play and it got even worse when some friends wanted to play with me and they had the maps, so I had to buy the shitty map bundle. :(

If it makes you feel any better, the DLC WaW maps are the best in the game. Except for that underground subway map (forget the name). The rest are incredible.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
ThirstyFly said:
If it makes you feel any better, the DLC WaW maps are the best in the game. Except for that underground subway map (forget the name). The rest are incredible.

Nothing wrong with Station. I liked it more than Sub Pens.

paskowitz

After playing the MOH beta, I realized that all my silly judgments of MW2 are completely unfounded. MOH sucking so much has made me appreciate just how good MW2 is. Sure BFBC2 is a more cohesive experience but I really have come to appreciate MW2 more.

Akim

Banned
If you only buy one of the two map packs won't it only put you in lobbies with people that have the same packs as you? Wouldn't that make for some weird matchmaking?

Proelite

I just played my first Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer game in a while. I was on a team whose guns fired predator missles, and also had a killstreak ever other second. In 2 minutes, there was a nuke countdown with 15 minutes remaining, which also caused the game time and domination point accumulation to stop.

O_O

What the fuck happened to this game. When did this start.

RavenFox

Banned
Proelite said:
I just played my Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer game in a while. I was on a team whose guns fired predator missles, and also had a killstreak ever other second. In 2 minutes, there was a nuke countdown with 15 minutes remaining, which also caused the game time and domination point accumulation to stop.

O_O

What the fuck happened to this game. When this start.
lol

Top Bottom