• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Alucrid

Banned
aku:jiki said:
The best MW2 video in a minute.

It's a top 10 list of the best reactions to crazy kills. :lol :lol

Then again, quickscoping is pretty fucking hard. I think it's harder than hardscoping.

I really don't understand how they do it - whenever I half-scope like that, it just always misses. :(

Moaning.

More moaning.

Group moaning.

Orgasm.

High five.

Me and my friend died from that. :lol

Everdred

I traded in my 360 version for the PS3 version, I usually have a 1.5-2 kill-to-death. If anyone wants to add me I could use some friends on PSN.

PSN: Everdred

PetriP-TNT said:
It's near impossible to kill anyone with Barett without scoping but Intervention is just broken

Isn't this intentional like IW made a rifle for all the quickscopers out there. A skill which I find unnatural as fuck.

Spinning Plates said:
Isn't this intentional like IW made a rifle for all the quickscopers out there. A skill which I find unnatural as fuck.

:lol I find it difficult as well. SO MANY people seem to have quickscoping the Intervention down to a fine art, almost machine-like, that Ive tried it, and it just.... doesnt work for me.

I'll agree, quickscoping is not easy, I certainly cant do it (and dont want to, just like everything else thats wrong with the game, it ruins the spirit of the game). Playing this game, sometime, really test me. Im old school - I bring up my sights, take aim, and fire. Unfortunately, these young bucks run around all hopped up on demerol and grape soda, dolphin diving or jumping the the air spinning like a damn ballerina, quickscoping me with an intervention even before my sights meet them. :lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
When the fuck are they going to give us a date for the PS3 map pack? I was really hoping that it would come out next week since I'm on vacation.

Indeed

Got my first hatemail today! woooop!

If anyone wants to play with me (PS3) add "Inthedeed". Im a noob (lvl64 no prestige) but I can hold my own.

Sunako said:
I need two more nukes for that sweet, sweet emblem.

When I earned the nuke emblem, I used it constantly - until I got the 8-bit Price. Now I roll with this callsign:

2gufjv8.png

divisionbyzorro said:
When I earned the nuke emblem, I used it constantly - until I got the 8-bit Price. Now I roll with this callsign:

2gufjv8.png
Yeah, I used that one too when I first unlocked it. But now I'm using the 'Enemy of the State' gorilla emblem and the 500-kill Spas-12 title. I'm working on the 2,500 Spas-12 title now.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Indeed said:
Got my first hatemail today! woooop!

If anyone wants to play with me (PS3) add "Inthedeed". Im a noob (lvl64 no prestige) but I can hold my own.

Were you a "camping fucking pussy"? (In their eyes of course)

USD

No pic, but I use Reversal of Fortune/Eight Ball. I've never seen anyone else with that title, probably because you need Counter Claymore II (Kill 10 enemies by shooting a claymore) to unlock it. And that requires SitRep + idiots standing in front of their own claymores + a large amount of time, camping your own claymores, or just plain old boosting.

Indeed

Brian Fellows said:
Were you a "camping fucking pussy"? (In their eyes of course)

Nope, got the final kill in tdm by disableing 2 claymores with a stun grenade, then running by them and killing the guy who set them up. according to him, im a cheating cunt =)

Accidentus

Neo Member
So I'm bored at work and yes I know these topics have been discussed ad nauseam since the game's been out for 8 months. 5 prestiges and about 11 days of gameplay into MW2 and here are my major gripes with the game.

1. Tubers/RPGers. I guess my main beef is that IW specifically went out of their way to cater to these people even though (I would estimate) 95% of people hate tubers. Having the launcher as an attachment instead of a perk, adding in Danger Close specifically for these people, OMA... What were they thinking? Did they honestly expect people to have positive reaction to this? How about having to get 20 kills with the launcher in order to unlock the shotgun. It just adds incentive for these people to use it. If it were a top tier attachment like thermal or HBS I feel like it wouldn't be abused nearly as badly. What can I even say about RPGs other than they're fucking ridiculous. Ever been killed with a Danger Close AT4 from literally 20 feet away? Absurd.

2. Commando. I like the concept of Marathon/Lightweight so that's not the problem. My gripe with Commando is twofold. First, teleporting through and around shit. Shouldn't it be trivial to check that Hey this dude's around a corner or behind a short wall so I shouldn't be able to teleport through that. Second is the invincibility frames. The whole concept of, if the enemy is in range of the knife then he dies as soon as the melee is pressed, is idiotic. Shouldn't it be as the knife animation happens?

3. Lying prone. Not a concept unique to MW2 but I've hated it in every game. Ever run up on a dead body only to find out that's not a dead body but a guy lying prone in the corner of the room? I guess this is a problem that also directly relates to camping (more on that) since you can't move when you're lying prone so it forces you to ADS down a very specific part of the map. It also brings in the whole dropshotting mechanic which I feel is bullshit and against the spirit of the game. It's abusive of the game mechanics and playing against a team of dropshotters simply isn't fun, and I'm against things which aren't fun (novel right).

4. Campers. A problem in any FPS, but especially so with CoD games. The whole concept of the killstreak is inherent to this problem. Kids will always camp to boost their killstreaks and I don't really see any workaround other than remove the killstreaks all together (props to IW for introducing the Barebones playlists).

Other minor gripes would include
- Nuke boosting - I don't really play FFA so it's not that big a deal to me.
- Stinger unlocks at 30
- The Intevention hitbox. I can't even count the number of times I've had someone kill me even though their reticule was 3 feet over my shoulder. This also is why quickscoping is somewhat viable.
- Grenades are now useless due to the longer fuse.

aku:jiki

Does anybody know how killstreaks work in S&D in CoD4? Whenever I do well, it just loops the UAV streak - every 3 kills on that life, I get a new UAV (but the streak doesn't carry over between rounds like in MW2). I've never gotten the 3-5-7 in S&D, but now the enemy team has pulled two airstrikes on me and I'm like WTF.

Accidentus said:
What were they thinking? Did they honestly expect people to have positive reaction to this?
I'm with you on this one. I really can't understand why they would make that decision. It's not like they can claim that they had no idea how much people hate launchers - they put the title "Noobtuber" in the game, so obviously they know of the derogatory nickname and how much people hate it. So why would they decide to intentionally fuck with their player base? I really wish some interviewer would ask this!

Accidentus said:
I guess this is a problem that also directly relates to camping (more on that) since you can't move when you're lying prone so it forces you to ADS down a very specific part of the map.
Actually, you can move while prone.

Indeed

Accidentus said:
1. Tubers/RPGers. I guess my main beef is that IW specifically went out of their way to cater to these people even though (I would estimate) 95% of people hate tubers. Having the launcher as an attachment instead of a perk, adding in Danger Close specifically for these people, OMA... What were they thinking? Did they honestly expect people to have positive reaction to this? How about having to get 20 kills with the launcher in order to unlock the shotgun. It just adds incentive for these people to use it. If it were a top tier attachment like thermal or HBS I feel like it wouldn't be abused nearly as badly. What can I even say about RPGs other than they're fucking ridiculous. Ever been killed with a Danger Close AT4 from literally 20 feet away? Absurd.
While I agree that OMA DC tubing is total bullshit, its not that widespread in TDM and FFA. At least on PS3. But I agree, when I play Dom, trying to capture a point and then get mortared by some guy sitting on the other side of the map, I rage pretty hard.

2. Commando. I like the concept of Marathon/Lightweight so that's not the problem. My gripe with Commando is twofold. First, teleporting through and around shit. Shouldn't it be trivial to check that Hey this dude's around a corner or behind a short wall so I shouldn't be able to teleport through that. Second is the invincibility frames. The whole concept of, if the enemy is in range of the knife then he dies as soon as the melee is pressed, is idiotic. Shouldn't it be as the knife animation happens?
I think Commando is by far the worst thing in MW2.First of all, I play with Tactical Button Layout, so I very rarely knife. You could argue that this is my fault, but I always prefer shooting someone to knifing. Secondly my connection isnt that great. Im rarely in a 4 bar game. That means that I pretty much always lose in a close range firefight. Pretty much everyone uses Commando these days. I really really hope it doesnt return in Black Ops. (Wasnt that confirmed?)

3. Lying prone. Not a concept unique to MW2 but I've hated it in every game. Ever run up on a dead body only to find out that's not a dead body but a guy lying prone in the corner of the room? I guess this is a problem that also directly relates to camping (more on that) since you can't move when you're lying prone so it forces you to ADS down a very specific part of the map. It also brings in the whole dropshotting mechanic which I feel is bullshit and against the spirit of the game. It's abusive of the game mechanics and playing against a team of dropshotters simply isn't fun, and I'm against things which aren't fun (novel right).

Im a dropshotter =) Sometimes it helps, sometimes it gives my enemy a free headshot. I dont get how dropshotting is against the spirit of the game. Whats the spirit of the game? Strafing around while firing? Standing still?

4. Campers. A problem in any FPS, but especially so with CoD games. The whole concept of the killstreak is inherent to this problem. Kids will always camp to boost their killstreaks and I don't really see any workaround other than remove the killstreaks all together (props to IW for introducing the Barebones playlists).
I hate campers. (not as much as commando though =) )

Other minor gripes would include
- Nuke boosting - I don't really play FFA so it's not that big a deal to me.
- Stinger unlocks at 30
- The Intevention hitbox. I can't even count the number of times I've had someone kill me even though their reticule was 3 feet over my shoulder. This also is why quickscoping is somewhat viable.
- Grenades are now useless due to the longer fuse.

- Ive yet to encounter nuke boosters. Then again i have only around 2 days played and most of that was in MTDM.
- Well you can use the AT4 which is part of the Overwatch class.
- Id say that Quickscoping is against the spirit of the game. Hopefully SoH or more like "faster aim down sights" is in the same perk tier as stopping power in Black Ops.
- Yeah I agree, Semtex is superior in every way.

zam

divisionbyzorro said:

2gufjv8.png
8-bit Price ftw! Been rocking that emblem since I unlocked it on first prestige :D

Hyunkel6

Have they announced when is the next double exp weekend? I've been waiting for one to get back into the game. Maybe this weekend to celebrate the 4th of July?

kuYuri

Hyunkel6 said:
Have they announced when is the next double exp weekend? I've been waiting for one to get back into the game. Maybe this weekend to celebrate the 4th of July?

All they've announced is Double XP week(end) for PS3 and PC when the Resurgence Package hits those platforms July 6th.

I just had the worst night of MW2 I have ever had. I think my head is going to explode from rage. Allow me to articulate why I'm furious.

1) Join-in-progress. There is no good reason for the game to drop me into the middle of a blowout, other than to give the winning team more targets so that they can feel good about themselves. It's bullshit. Give a strong quit penalty, do a better job of skill-based matchmaking, and remove join-in-progress.

2) Party matchmaking. I swear the game pits large parties against randoms deliberately. Maybe this isn't true, but it certainly doesn't avoid doing this either. If I have a party of 4 in a domination game, there is no good reason why the game shouldn't make sure I'm playing against at least a party of three. And vice versa - if I'm by myself, I should never play against a team which has more than two people together in a party.

The fact that Mercenary Team Deathmatch even exists is a major fail. If I go in by myself, I should never have to play a party. They should at least mark players playing together, since most parties don't have the courtesy to use the same clan tag.

3) Danger Close. I think I could even handle noob tubes if Danger Close was out of the equation. Without DC, it takes a surprisingly accurate shot to OHK a target at any sort of range with the GL; you tend to get a lot of hit markers. But Danger Close takes away the need for skill when placing tube shots.

4) Commando. As I've said before, I think the theory is sound. If you measure the melee distance while standing in a local match, it's not increasing the range to some godly unreasonable distance. But in the real world under the confines of lag and shitty networks, this straight up doesn't work. And, as I've said before, it basically has no drawbacks. It's a free, fast, infinite-ammo, one-hit-kill, low-range weapon that can even penetrate Painkiller. Why wouldn't you use it?
because you're not a douchebag

5) Skill based matchmaking. When every single one of my teammates goes negative in three straight games, this is indicative of a major problem. Maybe it's just related to point #2 above, but who knows.

And maybe it's just me, but the community seems to be getting worse on a month-to-month basis. Like how Aku complains that the CoD4 community has devolved into nothing but quickscopes, it seems that the MW2 community has begun to embrace the bullshit more and more rather than fight it. Maybe the honorable players are just getting fed up and leaving; who knows. But it seems like the game is just getting worse over time; not better.

EDIT: Yes. I know this is nothing new. I've probably said all of this before. But I'm basically to the point where I no longer want to play this game by myself. It's just not worth it. At least with a team we can communicate and count on each other. With randoms I might as well sit on a bed of nails; it'd accomplish just as much.

divisionbyzorro said:
Everything

Indeed, the game is getting worse and I cant wait to see what Treyarch does with Black ops.

The biggest pain in my ass is noobtube spamming all the time now in addition to the increasingly terrible spawning after the last update. I swear ever since COD4, every time they updated, the spawns got worse and worse and worse.

EDIT- BTW I would totally party up with you but I know you're not a huge fan of TDM and that's all I play. I'm not opposed to SnD and CtF though. If you don't mind playing mostly TDM you're welcome to send an invite if you're on 360- gamertag is my GAF name. I usually play with 2 or 3 other people in my "clan" but they are just my closest friends. Feel free if you wanna party up sometime.

TheApatheticOne said:
:lol I find it difficult as well. SO MANY people seem to have quickscoping the Intervention down to a fine art, almost machine-like, that Ive tried it, and it just.... doesnt work for me.

I'll agree, quickscoping is not easy, I certainly cant do it (and dont want to, just like everything else thats wrong with the game, it ruins the spirit of the game). Playing this game, sometime, really test me. Im old school - I bring up my sights, take aim, and fire. Unfortunately, these young bucks run around all hopped up on demerol and grape soda, dolphin diving or jumping the the air spinning like a damn ballerina, quickscoping me with an intervention even before my sights meet them. :lol

I spent pretty much an entire prestige with the intervention to figure out sniping. I got every extension for it, that includes extended mags. I'm not sure how many hours that was, and to be honest I started playing a ton of demo while sniping because it gives pretty good sight lines to practice at and the traffic is really predictable. By the end of most of an entire prestige, I was probably only not bad at sniping.

I could occasional snap off a quickscope, but it's less on purpose and more I know the target is in the middle of the cross-hairs (enough for the auto-aim) and there is a little bit of a rhythm in the ADS then shoot, and you always un-scope immediately after the shot and it just ends up a quickscope by necessity when rushing. It just means taking a lot of time and learning it...but I was really bad for a long time :p.

divisionbyzorro said:
I just had the worst night of MW2 I have ever had. I think my head is going to explode from rage. Allow me to articulate why I'm furious.

EDIT: Yes. I know this is nothing new. I've probably said all of this before. But I'm basically to the point where I no longer want to play this game by myself. It's just not worth it. At least with a team we can communicate and count on each other. With randoms I might as well sit on a bed of nails; it'd accomplish just as much.

I agree. It's only really worth playing with a party, but the group I usually play with is on BFBC2 now (which I also love, but the MW itch is hard to scratch). Hopefully barebones on PS3 will get some of them back once in a while.

I stopped playing for quite a while, and I just started up again and it is already getting on my nerves after a couple days. Bouncing between MW and BFBC and really, MW is just so frustrating sometimes despite how great it is other times.

ScrubJay

divisionbyzorro said:

Dude, last night was exactly the same for me. I spent most of my night switching lobbies trying to get away from all the full parties. The fact I only reached 25 this prestige today means that most of my games dying horribly to air support. There was a domination game on favela where there was 2 or 3 air supports in the air and our whole team kept spawning in on some asshole scoped in on the spawn point. Every time I tried to switch modes and join in on the game I filled the place of someone who just ragequit and got put in a horrible stomping or a 6-2 game.

I don't know why I bothered, it just made me mad at video games. Mercifully today has been better so far.

cdyhybrid

I'm not saying quickscoping doesn't require a certain type of skill (I'd say it involves more reflex or timing rather than skill, but whatever), but to say that hardscoping (like those two guys in my game said) doesn't take skill is ridiculous.

And I really think that most of the "honorable" players just got tired of getting fucked over by the game for playing the "right way" and decided to just join in on the bullshit.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I briefly joined the "dark" side a couple of days ago. Switched my Holo sites for a Tube and Stopping Power for Danger Close.

And I sucked. So back to running and gunning for me.

kuYuri

Surprisingly enough, my k/d ratio has gone up from around 1.80 to 2.01. Very surprised considering I haven't been playing with a party in a few months and have just been soloing it in Mercenary TDM. And I don't use high killstreaks often.

Brian Fellows said:
Nothing more satisfying than busting up a group of boosters. :D

Indeed. I was playing a game on Invasion in Mercenary TDM and the boosters were in the corner of Rangers spawn. I threw a hail mary Semtex and killed the person who was getting kills and destroyed the Tac Insert at the same time. Few seconds later, they rage quit.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The guys I encountered tonight were on Storm back in a dead end behind a big truck. I come around a corner and see red and green tactical insertions laying right next to each other and I'm like WTF?!?! So I lob a thumper round back there killing the guy on the other team. The two guys on my team proceed to follow me around for the next minute or so knifing at me.

Then they tried the same thing again on Skidrow but this time I was looking for it. I just followed the two on my team around the whole time. Killed their buddy 6 or 7 times.

Brian Fellows said:
The guys I encountered tonight were on Storm back in a dead end behind a big truck. I come around a corner and see red and green tactical insertions laying right next to each other and I'm like WTF?!?! So I lob a thumper round back there killing the guy on the other team. The two guys on my team proceed to follow me around for the next minute or so knifing at me.

Then they tried the same thing again on Skidrow but this time I was looking for it. I just followed the two on my team around the whole time. Killed their buddy 6 or 7 times.

Just absolutely the lamest way to play. Same thing applies to all the things we have all mentioned. They all go against the spirit of the game, and makes the game flatout 'not fun'. Whenever I have got so angry I fade to the darkside (commando or noobtube), I dont even get any enjoyment out of it, because it feels cheap and is not fun to me. Its like if your having a bad day, and you do or say something to someone that isnt very nice to let it out, you dont feel better about yourself. You're having a bad day, and now you feel like an asshole. :lol

Wow. I didn't actually know the Intervention hitbox was so fucked up. I thought it was just lag. No wonder I want to yell "BULLSHIT" at the TV whenever I'm hit by quickscope Intervention fag.

Top Bottom