• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

domstah

Brian Fellows said:
From what I've played so far I prefer the Stimulus maps.

Ironically I'm the complete opposite - I love Carnival, Fuel and Trailer Park, I think they are much stronger maps than Bailout or Salvage. Strike and Vacant are two of my favorite COD4 maps too.

kuYuri

Loxley said:
I do love me some SnD :D It doesn't allow for a lot of the BS that people can get away with in TDM or Domination.

By the way, to those of you on the PC, has Barebones been added? I'm reinstalling the game at the moment and was just curious, since people have been glowing about it on the consoles.

I just asked a friend and Barebones Pro was indeed added to PC.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
aku:jiki said:
How can so many of you guys love CTF in CoD? I mean, I get loving it in other FPS games (I do too), but in CoD, especially MW2, it's so incredibly repetetive... Either you run Marathon/Lightweight/Commando and mad dash it like a moron or you lose. And even then, there's always whores who ignore the flags but camp the shit out of one to get easy kills. So dull to me.

And posting love for CTF but hate for Demolition? That's just crazy talk.

Repetition is my middle name. :D

I do like Demolition to though. I hate Domination and HQ.

domstah said:
Ironically I'm the complete opposite - I love Carnival, Fuel and Trailer Park, I think they are much stronger maps than Bailout or Salvage. Strike and Vacant are two of my favorite COD4 maps too.

Yeah I didn't care for Vacant in MW1 and it is 1000x worse in this game with all the MLC'ers and shotguns. Plus there are few places to get away from air support. It will get a skip vote from me. Stike was ok but I prefer Crash and Overgrown when it comes to old maps.

As for the new maps I'd probably rate them.....

Storm
Bailout
Trailer Park
Salvage
Carnivale
Fuel

I'm willing to be more people agree with you than me though. :lol

And its still early. After a full week of playing these new maps my opinions of them could easily changes.

I actually don't believe that. There are trends in the commentating community... Right now, it's all about posting high scores with odd weapon setups and getting nukes without killstreaks - basically, the community is bored now. If those games were all months old, they'd have rushed them out way sooner to get the credit for having the 1st/5th/10th killstreakless nuke and not be so casual about it...

True. I'll concede that point. I'm just convinced that these guys are pulling old games from their library to pad their release schedule while they try to squeeze out good new gameplay where they don't get bullshitted out of nowhere. I suppose the alternative is that they're just playing that much (and why would you keep subjecting yourself to this game that much) or they're just that lucky.

I guess I would just be really interested to see a livestream of one of these guys playing - I'd like to see what a typical game looks like, as opposed to that one game in a million that's worth posting to Machinima.

I played CTF. I just never thought to mention it. If the other team was playing it like team death match it was an auto loss for them, thats why I liked it. I do miss it only mode where I felt you could get teamwork even out of randoms, people did cover the flag carrier.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
divisionbyzorro said:
True. I'll concede that point. I'm just convinced that these guys are pulling old games from their library to pad their release schedule while they try to squeeze out good new gameplay where they don't get bullshitted out of nowhere. I suppose the alternative is that they're just playing that much (and why would you keep subjecting yourself to this game that much) or they're just that lucky.

I guess I would just be really interested to see a livestream of one of these guys playing - I'd like to see what a typical game looks like, as opposed to that one game in a million that's worth posting to Machinima.

What I would be interested in is seeing some of these hotshot COD studs trying to play with the bullshit connections I've had for the last week.

aku:jiki

Did anybody try CoD: Hologram Soldiers...sorry, Blacklight: Tango Down? :D That XBLA game that's just like CoD in the future that came out today. I wanted to like it, but so much about it sucked...

divisionbyzorro said:

The guys who post like a video a day, like Wings, most definitely do that. And, I guess, the matches posted on Machinima are just the one decent game they had that week without tubers or laggers... I don't know, I guess I'm just wishing there was a trick to getting decent games somehow, because I just fucking love this game when it works and there's no bullshit...but would gladly snap the disc when it sucks. And the majority of the matches I play are bullshit. :(

Ironically enough, some dude posted an old video on Machinima just now and he just rambles on and on about how old it is and how much of a throwaway video it is... Can the dude be more obvious that he's just tossing it at Machinima because he needs a few quick bucks? So shitty. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq3jX0jUK2I

The guys who post like a video a day, like Wings, most definitely do that. And, I guess, the matches posted on Machinima are just the one decent game they had that week without tubers or laggers... I don't know, I guess I'm just wishing there was a trick to getting decent games somehow, because I just fucking love this game when it works and there's no bullshit...but would gladly snap the disc when it sucks. And the majority of the matches I play are bullshit. :(

The shit of it all is that there's a really good game buried in here, but they made two key mistakes:

1) They added massive killstreaks, thus setting the bar for "good gameplay" extraordinarily high.
2) They added extra bullshit deaths (painkiller, danger-close-noob-tubes, commando).

So not only are you more likely to get buzzkilled in this game, the stakes are likely to be higher.

If you're interested in a drunk sandy ravage raping bad players in ffa with different weapon requests:

http://www.justin.tv/sandyravage/b/266231009

Look from about 25 mins onwards. I think it's also probably the closest he'll get to a full blown commentary. To me these are better than machinima videos which have been cherry picked out of hours of gameplay. This guy just streams hours of footage where he consistently does well. Far more impressive imo.

Brian Fellows said:
What I would be interested in is seeing some of these hotshot COD studs trying to play with the bullshit connections I've had for the last week.

Heh, you too eh? I've been having the most miserable time with the game the last week. Laggers warping all over the place and it taking a million bullets to drop people :(

mr_boo

CozMick said:
I've found a new love and it's name is Search and Destroy!

Until this day I played literally nothing but TDM or Mercenary TDM, I hadn't ever played an objective game, not even on Call of Duty 4.

Fired up the Resurgence playlist and got SnD on Carnival.

Ho-ly fucking shit it's epic!

From this day I will forever be a one game-mode guy.

I coming baby............:lol
This makes me want to try SnD again. I'll give it a go tonight! :D

divisionbyzorro said:
So not only are you more likely to get buzzkilled in this game, the stakes are likely to be higher.
Exactly. The bullshit is extra-extra bullshit because you're likely aiming for a high killstreak. They should've made a choice there; either it's a game for sloppy noobs to get their giggly noobtube kills, or it's a game for hardcore FPS players that want to reach 25 kills without dying. They tried to make it both and, obviously, that really didn't work out.

Has Treyarch told us anything about what they're doing with streaks in BO? I'm kinda assuming that they're sticking to 3-5-7... Though that hasn't saved WaW from becoming a massive campfest. :/

Speaking of WaW, it seems me and Navarrate are destined to miss each other. When he's in MW2, I'm in WaW and vice versa. :lol

ZROCOOL said:
Is there a GAF tag still? Because playing with randoms is well awful now. Didn't get on my nerves before.
You know, it's been a very, very long time since I saw the nGAF tag. I don't think we have a gathered group of people though, really... I'd invite you to come play with us but we speak swedish and mostly play the older CoD's now anyway.

Xux

Calibur said:
Question is the Resurgence Map Pack that much better then The Stimulus Map Pack?

I don't think Resurgence matches Stimulus' best (Salvage) but they're all better than its worst (Bailout).

If I had to rank the ten DLC maps, it'd probably be something like:

Salvage
Overgrown
Trailer Park
Crash
Fuel
Strike
Storm
Vacant
Carnival
Bailout

'Course that's with the less than four hours of Resurgence play last night and without a party so I guess this list is kinda premature.

divisionbyzorro said:

I remember one of Pyrotoz' videos that he did in March be uploaded by Machinima late last month so I guess there's a delay or something. He's even said that he goes negative a good amount of the time and his videos often have a 5+ KDR with single digit deaths.

Has Treyarch told us anything about what they're doing with streaks in BO? I'm kinda assuming that they're sticking to 3-5-7... Though that hasn't saved WaW from becoming a massive campfest. :/

3-5-7 always seemed kind of arbitrary to me despite a lot of people all over the place claiming it'd magically fix the killstreak system. All Treyarch has said is that killstreaks are customizable to some extent, you still keep them after you respawn, and that killstreak kills don't add to your streak.

Xux said:
I don't think Resurgence matches Stimulus' best (Salvage) but they're all better than its worst (Bailout).

If I had to rank the ten DLC maps, it'd probably be something like:

Salvage
Overgrown
Trailer Park
Crash
Fuel
Strike
Storm
Vacant
Carnival
Bailout

'Course that's with the less than four hours of Resurgence play last night and without a party so I guess this list is kinda premature.

I remember one of Pyrotoz' videos that he did in March be uploaded by Machinima late last month so I guess there's a delay or something. He's even said that he goes negative a good amount of the time and his videos often have a 5+ KDR with single digit deaths.

3-5-7 always seemed kind of arbitrary to me despite a lot of people all over the place claiming it'd magically fix the killstreak system. All Treyarch has said is that killstreaks are customizable to some extent, you still keep them after you respawn, and that killstreak kills don't add to your streak.
Fuel's too high, and Carnival/Vavant are far too low. But other than that, good rankings.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
ThirstyFly said:
Heh, you too eh? I've been having the most miserable time with the game the last week. Laggers warping all over the place and it taking a million bullets to drop people :(

I guess if you bitch about it enough on GAF the video game gods hear your cries for help because I just had a really nice 3½ hour session.

Xux

RJNavarrete said:
Fuel's too high, and Carnival/Vavant are far too low. But other than that, good rankings.

Well, I play Ground War a lot so I'm hoping Fuel'll end up being better in that but, from what I've played in the Resurgence playlist these past two nights, I'm mostly indifferent to it. More play time on Carnival and Vacant have moved them up to the "indifferent" tier as well. Then again, while the people I usually play with are in Mexico, most of my games aren't really that fun to begin with.

I'm surprised my WLR is still positive since probably 80% of the lobbies I join it puts me in a game in progress where it's losing in Domination 198 to 100-something or it's losing in CTF 1-6. Or I join mid-round on SnD and leave out of sheer boredom. Hopefully the new maps get put in the normal rotation soon and I get better luck not being thrown onto the losing team.

MercuryLS

Banned
Ok I downloaded the new map pack on ps3, but they don't come up in the ricochet-sd gsmetype, am I doing something wrong? I have played on the maps in the resurgence hardcore game type so they're definitely installed.

Xux

MercuryLS said:
Ok I downloaded the new map pack on ps3, but they don't come up in the ricochet-sd gsmetype, am I doing something wrong? I have played on the maps in the resurgence hardcore game type so they're definitely installed.

They're not in all of the playlists yet. They'll probably be added into the rest within the next couple of days like they did with the last map pack.

MercuryLS said:
I'm pretty sure that the new maps are only available thru the resurgence playlists for now.

I thought this was funny... This kid is trying to get subscribers by hosting a competition to win a capture card. His rules are that he must get 2500 subscribers to even consider the contest, then the first bunch of people who send him messages get a chance to beat him in a 1-on-1 private match. Only his rules are that the competitor has to use a Mini-Uzi with thermal and Scrambler and he's not allowed to hipfire and must use the thermal, while the kid gets to use an LMG (obviously he's gonna pick the RPD) and play any way he wants.

What the fuck? :lol :lol

Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXl9aF7Qq7k

lantus

I've got to say, ever since I got my 5.1 system last week, I've never played as good or enjoyed this game as much as I do now.:lol

This game makes me want to end lives sometimes...

I was playing TDM Express on Derail, and I had just put the Nuke setup on just for fun. I was somehow doing insanely good, and before I knew it, I had a 20 killstreak. I stood my ground in one of the houses on the side of the map where all the shops are, and I managed to get 4 more kills. On my last kill that I needed to get a Nuke, I saw a guy come through a doorway, I ran towards him and tried to knife him. My knife GOES THROUGH him, and he manages to knife me back.. ending my Killstreak at 24 kills.

Ugh....

Stantron

I thought this was funny... This kid is trying to get subscribers by hosting a competition to win a capture card. His rules are that he must get 2500 subscribers to even consider the contest, then the first bunch of people who send him messages get a chance to beat him in a 1-on-1 private match. Only his rules are that the competitor has to use a Mini-Uzi with thermal and Scrambler and he's not allowed to hipfire and must use the thermal, while the kid gets to use an LMG (obviously he's gonna pick the RPD) and play any way he wants.

He should be even more retarded and make his competitors wear the blast shield to block their peripheral vision and HUD.

-Yeti said:
This game makes me want to end lives sometimes...

I was playing TDM Express on Derail, and I had just put the Nuke setup on just for fun. I was somehow doing insanely good, and before I knew it, I had a 20 killstreak. I stood my ground in one of the houses on the side of the map where all the shops are, and I managed to get 4 more kills. On my last kill that I needed to get a Nuke, I saw a guy come through a doorway, I ran towards him and tried to knife him. My knife GOES THROUGH him, and he manages to knife me back.. ending my Killstreak at 24 kills.

Ugh....
I definitely feel your pain, man, but you should never, ever try to knife your 25th kill...

zam

Hey guys I'm having a competition for a free pizza, you have to play me 1v1 on my host, you can only use a USP hipfire only, no aiming down the sights, Bling, Hardline and Scrambler, you can't use killstreaks but I can. Oh and you can only use the left stick, not the right stick, and you gotta be playing on a 12" tv that you have to sit 10m away from. But other than that it will be a totally fair fight. Add me on XBL for the chance to win a free pizza!

And even worse is that he actually thinks he's good, and to demonstrate his 'skill' he uses a modded match that is artifically extended by a glitch. And he payed 50 bucks to do it.

Kids like this are the lowest form of MW2 players.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Finally got my Captain Price 8-Bit Icon. It only took me one try in barebones FFA. I went 25-4. Nobody else had less 20 deaths. Yet I finished 3rd thanks to FFA's goofy scoring.

I think fuel is rubbish, nothing ever goes my way on that map, really enjoy carnival and trailer park when I thought I was going to hate them.

Also agree that bailout is the worst map out of both packs.

I definitely feel your pain, man, but you should never, ever try to knife your 25th kill...

Haha, now I know.

And knowing is half the battle.

PS. I agree that Bailout is the worst map out of both map packs. Salvage or Carnival are probably my favorite.

Xux

Mush said:
Agreed. With Storm being the best.

/runs

I feel like I just "don't get" Storm. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it but I just can't find a tactic that works for me. Same with Scrapyard. It seems like it's a whole round of "I sure hope nobody's watching this path" and "I sure hope I can make it to the next piece of cover by the time someone spawns and runs around this corner" and "Welp, no one to the right and no one to the left; guess I'll go left" followed by someone running around the corner to the right and shooting me in the back.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Fuel might not be too bad in TDM but I wouldn't know. All I get are shitty objective games where is takes way too long to get anywhere because the level is so mammoth.

I really like Storm too. Lots of long sight lines for picking people off at a distance and lots of doorways for claymores. :D

Then again I love Bailout too. I always do very well there.

I still hate Vacant. Probably because I don't use marathon, lightweight, shottys, or noob tubes. Which I all I've seen there so far. Just too cramped for me.

Brian Fellows said:
I still hate Vacant. Probably because I don't use marathon, lightweight, shottys, or noob tubes. Which I all I've seen there so far. Just too cramped for me.

Only thing that works for me on Vacant is running and gunning with the MP5, way too many tubes on it for my liking anyway.

CozMick

Banned
FTWer said:
Is there any Double XP days coming for the 360?

Probably not until an unannounced map pack is released :p

Oh and...........Salvage worst map in Call of Duty history
well, 2nd after Shipment

Brian Fellows said:
Finally got my Captain Price 8-Bit Icon. It only took me one try in barebones FFA. I went 25-4. Nobody else had less 20 deaths. Yet I finished 3rd thanks to FFA's goofy scoring.
Huh? FFA awards 50 points per kill, first to 1500 wins. No other way to earn points. What do you mean?

Nice score though, I just rocked a 26-0 on Roundhouse in WaW myself. Yes, I was tank whoring like a motherfucker. Not my fault they couldn't stop the onslaught! :D

Sad part was that 26 was my old best streak and I so wanted to break 30, but I grew a massive vagina when I hit 25 and my tank was almost destroyed. :(

amar212

CozMick said:
...well, 2nd after Shipment

I'd trade Rust for Shipment in every damn moment.

BTW What has this 1.1. patch did with the spawnpoints?

All spawns are changed now, I've played Headquarters yesterday and everything seems different.

amar212 said:
I'd trade Rust for Shipment in every damn moment.

BTW What has this 1.1. patch did with the spawnpoints?

All spawns are changed now, I've played Headquarters yesterday and everything seems different.

Spawning is still shite, last night I respawned and an enemy was right infront of me, shot him and it was the last kill of the match, after watching the replay suffice to say no one including myself was impressed.

Top Bottom