• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

So much hate for this "Favela" level.:lol Is it that bad on all the difficulties or just Hardened and Veteran? Haven't touched the game yet, but when I do, it's going to be the SP on Normal difficulty.

JPB 1973 said:
In reply to the above question, apparently the 1.01 patch disables all trophies, if you want the trophies, you have to delete the patch and play offline. A fix is in the works supposedly.
:lol

Thunderbear said:
Isn't Brainstew pretty known for his antics, especially against the PS3?

Anyway... I personally can't believe the media is buying all the hype. It's a good game so far, but hardly original and not deserving of the astronomical scores its getting. Just my opinion, but it's all BS. Gameplay aside (which is good, but not OMG in my view), the graphics aren't all that great either (despite the 60fps).

This is just me, I'm glad for those that's enjoying it to the same level of the reviews. I just hope the reviews were objectively written rather than just buying into all the hype.

Really now.

Questions on the trophies issue: I'm told that deleting the patch will allow you to earn trophies. But what about trophies that you should have already earned? Will they then unlock? And in terms of the fix, is it anticipated that things you've achieved but not been given trophies for will automatically be awarded to you, or will you have ot play through again?

I've nearly finished my Veteran playthrough but haven't been given a single trophy yet (Modern Warfare 2 doesn't even show up in my list of trophy games!). If I have to play through veteran a second time just to get the veteran trophies I'm going to kill somebody.

Has anybody heard of any solutions or workarounds for my situation (i.e. getting credit for trophies that you should have had WITHOUT having to start from scratch)?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dax01 said:
So much hate for this "Favela" level.:lol Is it that bad on all the difficulties or just Hardened and Veteran? Haven't touched the game yet, but when I do, it's going to be the SP on Normal difficulty.
I played it on Normal and I died a ton on it. You just can't tell where guys are coming from and they constantly come from all directions. I've probably died as many times in the many levels I'm played since than as I did in that one mission.

voltron

So I was just talking to a buddy who claims the Aus version of MW2 as the terrorist scene cut. I didnt think that was true, but I havent been online much lately due to capped Internet.

Cant find any news stories indicating as much either.

Anyone know? (not that it affects me as I bought the region free Asian version)

DMeisterJ said:
Umm, no... I do have a PS3 and I am a fan of it, but I really don't care if it runs worse on the platform or not. I've come to the conclusion that most (if not all) multi-plat games are going to run worse on the platform. I've also come to the conclusion that I really don't care either way, as long as it doesn't play like a slide-show. Yes, frames drop, but the experience is smooth and I'm having a ball playing the game. Please stop trying to turn this into something it's not. My problem is that he has been posting that over and over again in multiple threads for days now. I could not care less about some fucking frames...

Matter of fact, I think I'll go back to playing MW2, instead of talking about it. toodles :)

What do you think he is trying to turn this into? From my point of view all he posted was a technical comparison based on the facts we have been provided with the advice to make up your own mind if you would even notice the discrepancies. But fom your point of view he is dragging the PS3 version through the mud, right? I think you're taking it way, way to seriously. It's probably a good idea for you to leave the thread before you have a meltdown or something. :lol

RoboPlato said:
I played it on Normal and I died a ton on it. You just can't tell where guys are coming from and they constantly come from all directions. I've probably died as many times in the many levels I'm played since than as I did in that one mission.

Not only that but I couldnt even tell where I was getting shot from half the time. I would think I had the area cleared and then I would have bullets flying at me from what seemed like nowhere. I was really starting to get frustrated. Its been a really long time since a game has done that to me. :lol

gnarkill bill said:
Not only that but I couldnt even tell where I was getting shot from half the time. I would think I had the area cleared and then I would have bullets flying at me from what seemed like nowhere. I was really starting to get frustrated. Its been a really long time since a game has done that to me. :lol

Lesson #1 when playing a COD game: Let the NPCs do most of the dirty work. #2: if that doesn't work, poke your head out to see where the enemies are. #3: If you're close enough to the next target, sometimes you're better off running as fast as possible to it and hoping that the next scripted event gets activated.

My protips for Veteran, folks.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Rez said:
I used to have issues just like this with Gears 1/COD4. I believe it has something to do with your router; it's NAT settings, specifically.

According to MW2 my NAT setting are set to Open.

Good/bad?

Teetris said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lGKGUuMxJ4 - PS3
http://www.destructoid.com/ten-minute-taste-call-of-duty-classic-154694.phtml - 360

:eek: Never heard of that. Are there any comparison shots from 4 with this? Does it work with AMD cards?

No, Nvidia added it to their drivers recently, lets you force a really high performance, decentish quality SSAO algorithm to a bunch of different games. Works really with with the COD games and RE5. I'll try and post some shots in the PC screenshot thread later on.

Thanks for the videos.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
What do you think he is trying to turn this into? From my point of view all he posted was a technical comparison based on the facts we have been provided with the advice to make up your own mind if you would even notice the discrepancies. But fom your point of view he is dragging the PS3 version through the mud, right? I think you're taking it way, way to seriously. It's probably a good idea for you to leave the thread before you have a meltdown or something. :lol
Jesus, I posted a LensofTruths framerate comparison,made a throwaway comment about some folks maybe wanting to use the facts to get the superior console version and I was called 'absolutely pathetic.':lol

Anyways not to rain on the bitchfest, but did anyone let out a "hell yeah" when a certain character says: (late Act III spoiler)
'"You have to trust someone to be betrayed. I didnt.'
Fuck me, I love that guy. And I love the guy that voices him.

Violater

Rez said:
if you're playing the Favela, take comfort in knowing it gets much better after that pos questionably designed level.

Yea it was that level and now
Ahhh the thermal sniper is sex pure unadulterated sex
Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff I'm back there again :/

voltron said:
So I was just talking to a buddy who claims the Aus version of MW2 as the terrorist scene cut. I didnt think that was true, but I havent been online much lately due to capped Internet.

Cant find any news stories indicating as much either.

Anyone know? (not that it affects me as I bought the region free Asian version)

I got the Aussie PC version and the scene is definitely in there and it is definitely not cut.

beast786

The Ketchup stains are HORRIBLE .. who idea was that. They already had a perfect system which everyone else copied.

Man, I hate that thing.

Oh I am so addicted to the MP already. Only had an hour to spend online today, need to work on some homework first. Sadly the 4 games in my backlog are going to stay that way until at least XMAS it looks like when I am back out of school.

Still looking forward to playing with you GAFers.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
beast786 said:
The Ketchup stains are HORRIBLE .. who idea was that. They already had a perfect system which everyone else copied.

Man, I hate that thing.
I played CoD4 over the weekend and I like the jelly splash better. The solid red really got in the way sometimes and cut off the sides of the screen a bit. At least you can see through the jelly a lot more clearly.

theignoramus said:
Jesus, I posted a LensofTruths framerate comparison,made a throwaway comment about some folks maybe wanting to use the facts to get the superior console version and I was called 'absolutely pathetic.':lol

The really funny thing is that if brain_stew or anyone else posting these comparisons are trying to troll, it would be a troll against IW more so than the PS3 as a console. I haven't seen anyone say, or even imply the PS3 isn't capable of running it as well.

TheExodu5

Banned
Tenkai Star said:
I don't see the fun part at all. In the beginning it was funny that it was there but gameplay-wise. What were they thinking.

I don't see the problem with the nuke at all.

First off, you need to sacrifice a killstreak slot for it. Second, if someone has a 25 kill streak, it's probably best to end the other team's suffering as early as possible.

Demigod Mac said:
Goodness, this PC version installation is torturous. I guess Activision didn't take into account that there's around a 99% chance that anyone installing this game probably already has Steam installed (it tries to install Steam no matter what) - then that didn't work (for a moment it says installing Steam, then, nothing happens), so I had to use Steam's hidden install from disc feature using the command line, and now it's taking forever to copy files from the DVD. Feels like I'm downloading the game at this rate.

I never got a Steam install prompt with mine. A Steam window opened up asking for the CD-key and that was it. Most painless install I've ever done.

DMeisterJ said:
I take issue with this one man crusade you have to keep on bringing up frame-rate drops because what's the fucking point? Play the fucking game and stop trying to drag the PS3 version through the mud. Ugh.

Brain_stew knows what he's talking about and he doesn't bullshit about console this and console that. He's a technical enthusiast first and foremost. Technical issues like this do matter to some people. If people are wondering what the differences are in between the different versions, don't fucking beat around the bush and rose tint everything for console (political) correctness. If the PS3 version runs a few frames slower, then just accept it and don't go fucking making up NeoGAF conspiracy theorists.

Fuck.

Teetris said:
So, still no maxed PC shots/videos to be found yet?

I think I took a few screenshots. I'll spoiler them since they're from singleplayer. I'll upload them in a bit. Hopefully there's something good in there.

Rat Salad

Banned
Some of you already pointing pitchforks at Brain_Stew need to step off. He's a good guy and calling out people spreading misinformation towards people not quite sure on which platform to choose from for the game is not a crime.

TheExodu5 said:
I never got a Steam install prompt with mine. A Steam window opened up asking for the CD-key and that was it. Most painless install I've ever done.

That's because you had Steam already installed.

From my perspective, the install, the setup and the entire system for this game is one of the best and smoothest PC game's I've EVER had.

Very few times, if ever do I recall not having to find some sort of fix or setting change or something to do to my computer to get it to run.

This time, bang - worked like a charm and the Steam integration is great (this is my first time using Steam as well - yes that is crazy but I haven't played any PC games since MW the first time around).

SleazyC

Just finished the campaign on normal. Can't believe how short it was.

In the grand scheme of things I think this game is pretty damn good (liked COD4's SP more) and I haven't touched the online yet but I think I would still give the nod to Uncharted 2 as far as my GOTY.

Although I do have to give props to IW, the set pieces were well done and had me pumping in several stages (
especially Washington
). Can't help but feeling a bit of a cop out at the ending though. Maybe it was just me.

Onto the multiplayer!

Synless

Apocalyptatron said:
Why are there no trophies listed? It's not in my trophy collection?
You need to erase the patch that you got when you first started up the game then load it without the patch and it should be there. After that you can re-install the patch.

TheExodu5

Banned
CorporalDork said:
That's because you had Steam already installed.

From my perspective, the install, the setup and the entire system for this game is one of the best and smoothest PC game's I've EVER had.

Very few times, if ever do I recall not having to find some sort of fix or setting change or something to do to my computer to get it to run.

This time, bang - worked like a charm and the Steam integration is great (this is my first time using Steam as well - yes that is crazy but I haven't played any PC games since MW the first time around).

Best part is Steam Cloud. All your saves and settings should be saved on Steam's servers, which means uninstalling or formatting won't erase your progress.

I'm not 100% sure on what Steam Cloud support they have (whether it saves just MP, or SP saves as well as settings), but I'm assuming that's the case.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Synless said:
You need to erase the patch that you got when you first started up the game then load it without the patch and it should be there. After that you can re-install the patch.
I'm almost done with the game so I want to finish up but if I finish, delete my save and the patch, do that, and restart I can get trophies normally or are they glitched out as long as you have the patch?

kuYuri

Finally, UPS guy came. He dropped it off at the wrong house too. I had to run out there and meet him to get it. :lol

Will finally try it soon.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
this sucks. Fate opened up the whole day to play this game and i can't get multiplayer to work for fuck. I've done everything you can imagine to my router. going as far as completely ditching it for a regular ass 5 port switch which in the past has always been the solution to jamming all these stupid live network quirks in the ass and it still won't find me a game.

I can't find any fucking help either. Thats my life for ya. I find the problems nobody else does.

Almost every single person online for me (20) are playing the game. I send out invites, party invites, messages to all of them yet none of them join - not even the ones in a lobby or the game menu. Fuck that shit. I see it often on Xbox Live. Why do people add each other then? Just to play one game and that's it? I'm cleaning out my Friends List later.

Anyone who is serious about trying to play together or have fun, add me.

Gamertag: Starfleets

Top Bottom