• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

sonitii

Got my copy from Amazon. Played a few SP missions. I like it so far.

Also played some MP matches. Only a small sample but man, I was really hoping the lag/latency issue that plagued CoD4 would be fixed but it's the same old same old. Guess that's what you have to live with with peer-to-peer hosting.

Rikyfree said:
has anyone played the call of duty classic on the ps3 or 360 yet?

Quite interested in this, have the graphics been updated, and have they gimped the health system to modern standards? Are they actually going to sell this separately as well?

A.R.K

Kingsora said:
I don't get that people with the ps3 version aren't complaining here, it's impossible to play with people out of your friends list, that's a enormous bug, good job IW.

hypostatic said:
Please explain this. I bought the PS3 version specifically to play with my IRL friends, as opposed to my fake X360 friends.

WTF is this about? Most of the time I play with my friends on PSN and I can't with them???? I am confused. Some one with PS3 version please explain this.

Got past the slums on the part in
Rio
. Then BAM, my TV shuts off... my cat walked behind the TV and hit the reset button on the power strip...

Question though, my squadmates died during that part, can they survive through it if I try hard enough?

Do we have any early sales indications? Any estimates on whats its predicted to do within the first 24 hours, first 3 days, opening week, first month and till the end of the year?

I have a marketing class in an hour or so, this would be good information to have.

Edit: I found Mr. Pachter expects 10-13 Million by end of the year. I was more interested in the first 3 days and first 24 hours... It would be nice to shock my classmates with "biggest entertainment product launch" is a video game and not some movie, and the one before this was also a video game! (GTA4 right?) :lol

Got it last night at midnight and only played about an hour online so far.. seems faster then cod4? I don't know but i really like it.

I also would like to put my vote in the (no party chat) is bullshit camp.. I cant stress how much I hate it..

that's all.

ps. I was in game that said no party chat allowed but I was still able to be in a private chat with one person? is this true?

whitehawk

Banned
test_account said:
I picked these up earlier today :) The Prestige Edition will stay sealed, i mostly bought it as a collecting object. I bought the normal edition to have a copy to play :)

GvDNRZNOF.jpg

VvIrkgSYG.jpg
smh

DMczaf

Awesome, UPS won't deliver today even though I used Release Date Delivery with Amazon.

I know Amazon refund the shipping charge if this happens, but I used Amazon Prime's free Release Date delivery. What do I get now? :\

I'm really enjoying Veteran difficulty this time around. It's challenging, but not cheap like in Call of Duty 4. I'm half way through Special Ops and I'm guessing about 75% done in single player and I haven't had a bad experience yet.

Captain N

wind_steaker said:
are the trophies borked for anyone else? I have them for about 4 missions in the middle of the campaign, but none of the rest

yeah, I think you need to skip the update in order for the trophies to work.

A.R.K said:
WTF is this about? Most of the time I play with my friends on PSN and I can't with them???? I am confused. Some one with PS3 version please explain this.

Nope doesn't work, i wish it was like cod4 i never had problems then.

tried all night with a buddy and no go.

Blablurn

play a couple of hours now... i like the singleplayer...BUT it doesn't "wow" me like killzone 2 did (itbwas one of my favourit fps experience since a very long time). but i guess there are more things to come. but i keep them for tomorrow. i don't want to finish it in one night. one more thing: the graphics are awesome. holy shit! well done infinity ward. well done. this is what i expect from a current gen game! thank you for delivering such a great visual experience!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
DMczaf said:
Awesome, UPS won't deliver today even though I used Release Date Delivery with Amazon.

I know Amazon refund the shipping charge if this happens, but I used Amazon Prime's free Release Date delivery. What do I get now? :\

Most likely $5 amazon credit for a future purchase off anything and sadness you can't play today.

That's what I have gotten in the past.

iamcool388 said:
Do we have any early sales indications? Any estimates on whats its predicted to do within the first 24 hours, first 3 days, opening week, first month and till the end of the year?

I have a marketing class in an hour or so, this would be good information to have.

Edit: I found Mr. Pachter expects 10-13 Million by end of the year. I was more interested in the first 3 days and first 24 hours... It would be nice to shock my classmates with "biggest entertainment product launch" is a video game and not some movie, and the one before this was also a video game! (GTA4 right?) :lol

The local Best Buy had a whole slew of them of them near the front next to the new blu-ray/DVD releases with it's own Call of Duty cardboard stand like Pixar's Up. The Prestige Edition was sitting behind customer service but apparently the stack 10 or so they had were all numbered as the fact they apparently ended up selling more pre-orders of the Prestige edition then they were allotted. Yeesh.

Axion22

Protesting the PC version, probably Gamefly the PS3 version and get to the Death from Above level or equivalent and drop it like I did the last one.

A.R.K said:

You can party up with friends, they just changed the way you did it in COD4 so some folks are confused.

Az987

all good things
Az987 said:
Wow WTF! Im playing multiplayer on my xbox and the screen just goes blank.. I can still hear my guy moving when I push buttons but I cant see shit.. So I installed it to my hard drive thinking that might fix and the first game I play it does it again..

WTF I wanna play dammit!

Anyone else have this problem

Update: now my xbox isnt sending any video to my TV. So i guess something went up in it??

guess I need a new Xbox yippie and I just missed the buy an arcade get a 100$ gift card.

A.R.K

macksplack said:
Nope doesn't work, i wish it was like cod4 i never had problems then.

tried all night with a buddy and no go.

so it is a bug that IW needs to fix? how the fuck can they let this slip?????

fernoca

A.R.K said:
Seems many people (including myself and a few friends) are able to play online with anyone, but all invitations sent to people in the Friend List, just doesn't work and they get a message saying that the game session no longer exists or that is not valid.

wind_steaker said:
are the trophies borked for anyone else? I have them for about 4 missions in the middle of the campaign, but none of the rest
Nearly to everyone at some point or another, so far mostly related to the required patch to play online. Some that downloaded the patch the very first moment before starting got no problem, others (again including myself and people I know) just didn't got any trophies not even appeared on the playlist, the "solution" was to erase the patch start a new game and save the first time you got a trophy, the download the patch again. Others after patch, are getting trophies for stuff done online, but not in in single player.....and a few get trophies in some cases and not in others (which seems to be your problem too)..

Another thing is that you can't compare trophies with anyone that has the "trophy glitch"..just stops at 92% and says there was an error..

Almak

So what is the exclusive access code at the back of the manual for (360 version)? Is that what the infinityward.com index page indicates as "exclusive vip access coming soon"? Or do you have to enter it somewhere else on the site?

Tenkai Star said:
I don't see the fun part at all. In the beginning it was funny that it was there but gameplay-wise. What were they thinking.

Chances of seeing one is pretty remote, 25kills with no deaths is pretty nuts, highest I got in Cod 4 was 19, in this so far it gets to 15 or so with the chopper or Ac thing.

Just finished the main game, the story is confusing as fuck, is there some sort of summery kicking about as I still cant fully work out some of the events :lol

So I completed the game, and while it's nothing like Uncharted 2, I just found the single player a bit... I dunno, nothing amazing. I prefer the CoD4 single player personally.
Respawning enemies are ridiculous this time round. The strawberry jam too, is just beyond silly. The story was like something out of 24 Season 6, but compressed into 5 hours and with the silliness level cramped up to 10. The controversial level wasn't controversial at all. I was more annoyed by the forced walk then anything.

I suppose some of these are nit picky, and thankfully the multiplayer will make up for it. It just felt like, CoD4 with extra levels. Nothing particularly amazing.

I did really really like the
final Washington stage. Eyegasm

JDeluis

Tzeentch said:
... WTF why does it make my XBOX drive spin up like a damn jet engine?! Screw that, installing it to the hard drive (sorry Mass Effect).

Damn. I thought the drive on my Xbox was dieing. I had to install it as well. Sounded like it was going to blow up.

kitch9 said:
I agree with this review, I've just come off the back if U2 into MW2 and it feels a little....Ummm...... amaturish in comparison......(IMO.)

I can't put my finger on it but, the narrow alleyways that are full of hails of bullets that never stop are beginning to piss me off. U2 never felt unfair, but fuck me is MW2 cheap at times......
The review sucks.
teh review said:
Call of Duty has never bothered with the kind of features you'd expect in a modern shooter such as cover mechanics.
I wont excuse the other CoDs for this, but MW1, WaW, and MW2 have soft cover. Why would they give you a cover mechanic when bullets can penetrate most forms of cover.:lol

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Does the XBL version of CoD Classic really only have 12 achievements/200GS while the PSN version has 35 trophies + platinum?

Can anyone confirm the achievements for the Live version?

JudgeN

brain_stew said:
But if they ask if there's a difference between the two version, why don't people just, you know, let them know if there is or not, and then let them decide if they're a big issue for them or not. I agree, for the vast majority of consumers, the differences are minor but for a certain percentage they're important, and if you're part of that percentage there's nothing more frustrating than someone giving you the (factually incorrect) standard response of "they're the same".

Wrong information does suck, but if person X buys Modern Warfare 2 for his PS3 and xbox and plays them both. And doesn't notice a difference he shouldn't really be called an "agenda spining lying jackass" when he answer someone question about if there a difference. Because in his mind there isn't, I guess people could just post links to B3D but that's not going to happen, or people could realize the PS3 doesn't hold a candle to the 360 when it comes to graphics. But at the end of the day neither are worthy enough to clean the dust off the master race version.

lets see if people can see where the sarcasm begins

But on topic, whats the odds of this going on sale for $40 sometime during December like the previous 2 games did?

A.R.K

AranhaHunter said:
You can party up with friends, they just changed the way you did it in COD4 so some folks are confused.

fernoca said:
Seems many people (including myself and a few friends) are able to play online with anyone, but all invitations sent to people in the Friend List, just doesn't work and they get a message saying that the game session no longer exists or that is not valid.

so it works or doesn't?:lol Can I invite my friends to a party and just play with them in a custom game?

DigiMish

JudgeN said:
But on topic, whats the odds of this going on sale for $40 sometime during December like the previous 2 games did?

That's what I'm hoping for - I picked up CoD4 on Amazon for $40 in December.

test_account said:
I picked these up earlier today :) The Prestige Edition will stay sealed, i mostly bought it as a collecting object. I bought the normal edition to have a copy to play :)

GvDNRZNOF.jpg

VvIrkgSYG.jpg
And you don't find anything wrong with this? You're perfectly okay with the fact that you did this.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wow, I'm surprised how nice the PS3 version looks...definitely an improvement over COD4. It reminds me a LOT of the HL Source engine, except on consoles. Really nice work.

Hey, any night goggle impressions?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Damn, 8 hours poured into this game in one day. Wow. :lol

Blu_LED said:
And you don't find anything wrong with this? You're perfectly okay with the fact that you did this.

His money. His problem.

Johnlenham said:
Just finished the main game, the story is confusing as fuck, is there some sort of summery kicking about as I still cant fully work out some of the events :lol

lol, I too was going to post this same thing, then I thought I'd be the only person or something! I've completed it and have no clue as to what was going on!

Sean

Banned
dallow_bg said:
Does the XBL version of CoD Classic really only have 12 achievements/200GS while the PSN version has 35 trophies + platinum?

Can anyone confirm the achievements for the Live version?

Those are the limits on achievements for XBLA games so yes.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Blu_LED said:
I was puzzled by your response but then I read the accompanying text.

:lol

MrPliskin

Banned
brain_stew said:
What a load of crap, really now. The PS3 version is missing some effects, takes longer to load and has a worse framerate, that's the facts, and if you notice dropped frames, you'll notice the worse framerte no matter what setup you use. It doesn't matter whether you care about the differences or not, when someone asks if there's a difference don't lie about the fact and put your personal spin or bias on it, just give him the facts and let him make the decsion on whther the difference bothers them or not.

I doubt the majority of the population will notice a few frames (I think like 4 frames difference on average?).

Or are you just talking from a PC elitist POV?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
test_account said:

Must be nice to have money to throw away like that. I wouldn't know anything about that.

I did the Amazon release day thing and they delivered it next door, and delivered a package to my house that was supposed to go next door. Weird. I called her and we exchanged mis-delivered packages.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

~Kinggi~

Banned
Well no fucking game for me cause Amazon fucked up their release date delivery and I never got it.

Amazon has come through big in the past for me so ill continue to use them (especially since im gonna get AC 2 for 25$ lulz) But they fucked up pretty big on the biggest release ever.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
~Kinggi~ said:
Well no fucking game for me cause Amazon fucked up their release date delivery and I never got it.

Amazon has come through big in the past for me so ill continue to use them (especially since im gonna get AC 2 for 25$ lulz) But they fucked up pretty big on the biggest release ever.

Tell me how to get AC2 for $25 :lol

panda21

i'm pretty sure there are places where they infinitely respawn.

its actually better after the first favela bit because its either not present or a lot less evident. the rest of the 141 stuff is much better.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Relix said:
Tell me how to get AC2 for $25 :lol
20 dollars Modern Warfare 2 video games credit and 10$ Dragon Age credit.

30 off, + natural 55.99 discounted price + free release day shipping.

Ive saved a fuck ton of money with their games credit thing. Probably got 2 whole games for free by now.

Top Bottom