• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

twilo99

Gold Member
PSA for anyone grinding camos

Get the knives done as the Gutter knife 5 kills without dying 5 times is not tracking properly and literally all you need is 25 kills, will likely be patched soon

Speaking of reverse boosting ran into this guy 3 times just today and see it a lot, all he was doing was killing himself with his own nade launcher

4CEapWm.jpg

The reverse boosting thing is rather pathetic to be honest

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PSA for anyone grinding camos

Get the knives done as the Gutter knife 5 kills without dying 5 times is not tracking properly and literally all you need is 25 kills, will likely be patched soon

Speaking of reverse boosting ran into this guy 3 times just today and see it a lot, all he was doing was killing himself with his own nade launcher

4CEapWm.jpg
Whether it's cheating or reverse boosting, it's pretty obvious that any gamer getting godly KD and WL should be a red flag. I'm sure their servers even track location since even those old COD games (I think it was Black Ops 1) had game summary recaps showing where the action was using heat maps.

Maybe COD devs are too lazy to flag stuff as suspicious, maybe they know about it but let it slide so they dont lose sales to cheaters and boosters (my personal opinion), maybe theres too many red flag profiles it's impossible to investigate all of them.

It cant be that hard to track suspicious activity.

Reverse boosting is pathetic but if Ur an old guy like me the best way to reverse boost is to give ur controller to Ur toddler they play 2 games with shit kd and the 3rd game U literally are god of war

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Whether it's cheating or reverse boosting, it's pretty obvious that any gamer getting godly KD and WL should be a red flag. I'm sure their servers even track location since even those old COD games (I think it was Black Ops 1) had game summary recaps showing where the action was using heat maps.

Maybe COD devs are too lazy to flag stuff as suspicious, maybe they know about it but let it slide so they dont lose sales to cheaters and boosters (my personal opinion), maybe theres too many red flag profiles it's impossible to investigate all of them.

It cant be that hard to track suspicious activity.
It doesn't help their KD or WL because of how poorly they do in these matches

What it does do is allow them a few matches to drop a nuke then they go back to this

I will admit I have been working on both knives this morning and my first regular match was against pure bots that had no idea where I was, possibly real NPC type of bots

How you getting on with the camo grind HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 ? I have 9 forged left to do before priceless!
You are for sure further along than I am as I have 2 marksmen rifles left and all of the SM and 1 or 2 LMG

Have been kind of treading water until season 1 starts

Last edited:

Calverz

It doesn't help their KD or WL because of how poorly they do in these matches

What it does do is allow them a few matches to drop a nuke then they go back to this

I will admit I have been working on both knives this morning and my first regular match was against pure bots that had no idea where I was, possibly real NPC type of bots

You are for sure further along than I am as I have 2 marksmen rifles left and all of the SM and 1 or 2 LMG

Have been kind of treading water until season 1 starts

Yea I'm seeing all these exp pop ups after matches and obviously not benefiting from it just now. But I'm not concerned about that.

I haven't really seen anything suspicious until today. I saw someone just kept running in a circle at his spawn. (reverse boosting).

Last edited:

havoc00

I have such a love hate with this game Friday I had a great time in mp last night, I was in sweat lobby after sweat lobby,teams full of shields on rust, my shots not hitting being killed in one shot head glitches etc just shut it off for my sanity.

Calverz

I have such a love hate with this game Friday I had a great time in mp last night, I was in sweat lobby after sweat lobby,teams full of shields on rust, my shots not hitting being killed in one shot head glitches etc just shut it off for my sanity.
There is no harm in backing out and re-searching a match when that happens. Often its just your team mates are bad and suddenly instead of you 1v1 with someone, you get double or triple teamed lol. Rust is a bit hit or miss because most people are camo grinding on it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I honestly don't understand why people are against sbmm , yes YouTubers are upset with it because they can't drop nukes every game.But for casuals I think it's good
Longer post incoming but wanted to update this a bit after some talks last night and I think most people here know who I mean but I wont say his name directly because he said its off the record but this needs to be out there

Also tagging Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes because of the discussion we had in another thread.

I have been saying I didn't like SBMM because of other issues like higher ping and just some odd things seem to go on in some of my matches.

Was playing last night with you know who (someone who would 100% know) and he said to look up damage based match making patent that Activision has and to quote said patent

[0080] Once an assessment is made, the computer program that executes the gaming environment modifies elements of the session and/or gameplay parameters as the session is being created based on the aggregate skill level. In embodiments, session modifications may include, but are not limited to: adjusting the number of enemies, adjusting the complexity of puzzles; and player adjustments, which may include the player's health, damage, speed, available abilities, and difficulty level. In one embodiment, a player's health is scaled based on the player's skill level by. At 306, data corresponding to acquired skill level of each player is generated and presented to a player via a game console, resulting in each player within a team experiencing a different degree of difficulty or challenge while still experiencing the same content in the same gameplay session.

[0081] FIG. 3B illustrates a table providing an exemplary list of parameters of a gameplay session that are modified based on a player's skill level and the corresponding experience for players of different skill levels. For example, in a first-shooter gaming environment, when a first player aims his weapon at a target, a parameter defining the tolerance for how accurate the player's aim must be to hit the target is modified based on the acquired skill level of the player. The computer assigns the tolerance for how accurate the player's aim must be to hit the target differently based on the skill level of the first player. A player having a higher skill level will be assigned a lower tolerance parameter and therefore, will have to be more accurate in aiming in order to hit the target. A player having a lower skill level be assigned a higher tolerance parameter and, therefore, could be less accurate in aiming in order to hit the target. As shown, column 310 of Table 1 lists modifiable parameters such as `degree of accuracy required to hit a target`, column 312 lists the experience of a player having a `high` skill level, which may be `high degree of accuracy required`, column 314 lists the experience of a player having a `medium` skill level, which may be `medium degree of accuracy required`, and column 316 lists the experience of a player having a `low` skill level, which may be `low degree of accuracy required`. Similarly, the table lists other modifiable parameters, such as `likelihood of being targeted by enemy`, where the experience of a player having a `high` skill level may be `high degree of likelihood`, the experience of a player having a `medium` skill level may be `medium degree of likelihood`, and the experience of a player having a `low` skill level may be `low degree of likelihood`. Another example parameter is `difficulty of an in-game puzzle`, where the experience of a player having a `high` skill level may be `high degree of difficulty`, the experience of a player having a `medium` skill level may be `medium degree of difficulty`, and the experience of a player having a `low` skill level may be `low degree of difficulty`. Another example parameter is `bonus chance of finding powerful treasure`, where the experience of a player having a `high` skill level may be `medium degree of chance`, the experience of a player having a `medium` skill level may be `high degree of chance`, and the experience of a player having a `low` skill level may be `very high degree of chance`. Yet another example parameter is `number of challenging enemies in a single encounter`, where the experience of a player having a `high` skill level may be a high number, for example 10-20, the experience of a player having a `medium` skill level may be a medium number, for example 5-10, and the experience of a player having a `low` skill level may be a low number, for example 1-5. Still another example parameter is `gold earned multiplier`, where the earning of a player having a `high` skill level may be `high`, for example 1.5.times., the earning of a player having a `medium` skill level may be `medium`, for example 1.25.times., and the earning of a player having a `low` skill level may be `low`, for example 1.times.. One more example parameter is `friendly-fire damage amount to team-mates`, where the experience of a player having a `high` skill level may be `high degree of damage`, for example 100% of damage, the experience of a player having a `medium` skill level may be `medium degree of damage`, for example 50% of damage, and the experience of a player having a `low` skill level may be `low degree of damage`, for example 0% of damage."

Longer post incoming but wanted to update this a bit after some talks last night and I think most people here know who I mean but I wont say his name directly because he said its off the record but this needs to be out there

Also tagging Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes because of the discussion we had in another thread.

I have been saying I didn't like SBMM because of other issues like higher ping and just some odd things seem to go on in some of my matches.

Was playing last night with you know who (someone who would 100% know) and he said to look up damage based match making patent that Activision has and to quote said patent

[0080] Once an assessment is made, the computer program that executes the gaming environment modifies elements of the session and/or gameplay parameters as the session is being created based on the aggregate skill level. In embodiments, session modifications may include, but are not limited to: adjusting the number of enemies, adjusting the complexity of puzzles; and player adjustments, which may include the player's health, damage, speed, available abilities, and difficulty level. In one embodiment, a player's health is scaled based on the player's skill level by. At 306, data corresponding to acquired skill level of each player is generated and presented to a player via a game console, resulting in each player within a team experiencing a different degree of difficulty or challenge while still experiencing the same content in the same gameplay session.

[0081] FIG. 3B illustrates a table providing an exemplary list of parameters of a gameplay session that are modified based on a player's skill level and the corresponding experience for players of different skill levels. For example, in a first-shooter gaming environment, when a first player aims his weapon at a target, a parameter defining the tolerance for how accurate the player's aim must be to hit the target is modified based on the acquired skill level of the player. The computer assigns the tolerance for how accurate the player's aim must be to hit the target differently based on the skill level of the first player. A player having a higher skill level will be assigned a lower tolerance parameter and therefore, will have to be more accurate in aiming in order to hit the target. A player having a lower skill level be assigned a higher tolerance parameter and, therefore, could be less accurate in aiming in order to hit the target. As shown, column 310 of Table 1 lists modifiable parameters such as `degree of accuracy required to hit a target`, column 312 lists the experience of a player having a `high` skill level, which may be `high degree of accuracy required`, column 314 lists the experience of a player having a `medium` skill level, which may be `medium degree of accuracy required`, and column 316 lists the experience of a player having a `low` skill level, which may be `low degree of accuracy required`. Similarly, the table lists other modifiable parameters, such as `likelihood of being targeted by enemy`, where the experience of a player having a `high` skill level may be `high degree of likelihood`, the experience of a player having a `medium` skill level may be `medium degree of likelihood`, and the experience of a player having a `low` skill level may be `low degree of likelihood`. Another example parameter is `difficulty of an in-game puzzle`, where the experience of a player having a `high` skill level may be `high degree of difficulty`, the experience of a player having a `medium` skill level may be `medium degree of difficulty`, and the experience of a player having a `low` skill level may be `low degree of difficulty`. Another example parameter is `bonus chance of finding powerful treasure`, where the experience of a player having a `high` skill level may be `medium degree of chance`, the experience of a player having a `medium` skill level may be `high degree of chance`, and the experience of a player having a `low` skill level may be `very high degree of chance`. Yet another example parameter is `number of challenging enemies in a single encounter`, where the experience of a player having a `high` skill level may be a high number, for example 10-20, the experience of a player having a `medium` skill level may be a medium number, for example 5-10, and the experience of a player having a `low` skill level may be a low number, for example 1-5. Still another example parameter is `gold earned multiplier`, where the earning of a player having a `high` skill level may be `high`, for example 1.5.times., the earning of a player having a `medium` skill level may be `medium`, for example 1.25.times., and the earning of a player having a `low` skill level may be `low`, for example 1.times.. One more example parameter is `friendly-fire damage amount to team-mates`, where the experience of a player having a `high` skill level may be `high degree of damage`, for example 100% of damage, the experience of a player having a `medium` skill level may be `medium degree of damage`, for example 50% of damage, and the experience of a player having a `low` skill level may be `low degree of damage`, for example 0% of damage."
The entire game is rigged by algorithms that dictate how well or how bad you do. There's damage, engagement, purchase related and skill based algorithms that are constantly dictating the outcome.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The entire game is rigged by algorithms that dictate how well or how bad you do. There's damage, engagement, purchase related and skill based algorithms that are constantly dictating the outcome.
I guess thats what I was always against and not straight up SBMM where I would fight players of equal skill

NickFire

Bought it on sale last weekend. If COD wasn‘t already your thing then trust the reviews. If you’ve been playing since the 360 launched then ignore them Is my advice.

They already have a mash up mode with MW2 maps as they should. Makes it very easy to view this as the DLC it was supposed to be. And as DLC it’s a great update to last years game.

NickFire

Just for the sake of discussion imagine there is no sbmm , these YouTubers and cod gods would drop nukes left right and centre all matches and would make life miserable for casual players.
100%

I wouldn’t complain if they made a better system than they have. But I’d quit the game if every match was a slaughter fest.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Just for the sake of discussion imagine there is no sbmm , these YouTubers and cod gods would drop nukes left right and centre all matches and would make life miserable for casual players.
Most of them make lives miserable already from reverse boosting for 20 matches then dropping nukes 5 games in a row for content then back to reverse boosting, tons of videos out there showing these YouTubers doing it and bragging about it

NickFire

I guess its just the old man get off my lawn in me not liking a shooter artificially downgrading my damage output and aim to make it a better experience for me
Hold on for one second here.

Are you telling me that is actually part of their SBMM system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it just affected who you played with. Are you really, honestly, no joke telling me that the bolded shit is by design and my eyes are not lying to me at times?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Hold on for one second here.

Are you telling me that is actually part of their SBMM system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it just affected who you played with. Are you really, honestly, no joke telling me that the bolded shit is by design and my eyes are not lying to me at times?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
See my post above of a patent that Activision owns

Gerdav

I have been playing COD online since COD2 on the 360, since nukes were brought in at COD4 I believe i could literally count on my fingers and toes the amount of nukes that other players have set off in lobbies I have been in, if you do come across someone who is levels above you skill wise instead of crying how unfair everything is watch the kill cam, observe them and learn to improve yourself.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

This was an interesting read, but if I'm understanding it correctly, it doesn't seem to be implemented in any actual games yet, right?

I've always thought the future of multiplayer was/is asymmetry. I always go to Lord of the Rings with this stuff. Low skill players should have the choice of picking characters that help them evade combat (Frodo). High skill players should have the choice of picking characters that help them in DPS (Ringwraiths). Frodo type players should be able to win engagements against high skill players by escaping or evading. I feel like Fortnite currently does this better than any game on the market. Overwatch does this reasonably well too.

The problem with CoD, is you have to play it like your opponent. It's all Ringwraiths in a small level with eachother. The highest skill Ringwraith wins the match. The lowest skill Ringwraith gets frustrated and moves on to other games.

So when I read the SBMM patent above, it reads like a half measure that's going to anger the top 50% of players. No one wants to artificially lose DPS because their skill is too high. It's annoying asymmetry that is only vaguely headed in the right direction. Maybe I'm not seeing something correctly though.

Last edited:
I have been playing COD online since COD2 on the 360, since nukes were brought in at COD4 I believe i could literally count on my fingers and toes the amount of nukes that other players have set off in lobbies I have been in, if you do come across someone who is levels above you skill wise instead of crying how unfair everything is watch the kill cam, observe them and learn to improve yourself.
Mate same here I've been gaming since I was a kid and I'm 38 with kids now , u really think people were that sweaty back in the days ? There was no social media back then everyone was playing casually for a good time .

Gerdav

Mate same here I've been gaming since I was a kid and I'm 38 with kids now , u really think people were that sweaty back in the days ? There was no social media back then everyone was playing casually for a good time .
No they weren’t but I can pretty much guarantee you won’t be coming against YouTubers and nuke droppers that often, ultimately this whole version of SBMM has only been in effect since MW 2019, its not really as if there is a 10 year gap here to before social media took over, I’m hardly a amazing player I’m 41 with 3 kids and play casual, I can handle having my ass handed to me fair and square, what I cannot stand is the nonsense SBMM imposes on you, unloading a whole clip into someone who looks at you and instantly melts you etc etc, its always on a constant cycle of dominate in effectively bot level lobbies, then end up in lobbies that real SBMM should basically be getting you were it feels pretty much correct and K/D is balanced, then suddenly being propelled into lobbies where you end up going 5-20 before straight back to square one in the bot level lobbies.

DeVeAn

Haven’t played since infinite warfare and didn’t play much of that. I got this with some rewards points and while the gameplay feels nice, I couldn’t help but feel like I was being cheated every other match.

I come here and read this skill-based match making nonsense and it all makes sense now. I’m not good at the game, but if I feel like I’m being cheated, it really upsets me and ruins my time.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This was an interesting read, but if I'm understanding it correctly, it doesn't seem to be implemented in any actual games yet, right?

I've always thought the future of multiplayer was/is asymmetry. I always go to Lord of the Rings with this stuff. Low skill players should have the choice of picking characters that help them evade combat (Frodo). High skill players should have the choice of picking characters that help them in DPS (Ringwraiths). Frodo type players should be able to win engagements against high skill players by escaping or evading. I feel like Fortnite currently does this better than any game on the market. Overwatch does this reasonably well too.

The problem with CoD, is you have to play it like your opponent. It's all Ringwraiths in a small level with eachother. The highest skill Ringwraith wins the match. The lowest skill Ringwraith gets frustrated and moves on to other games.

So when I read the SBMM patent above, it reads like a half measure that's going to anger the top 50% of players. No one wants to artificially lose DPS because their skill is too high. It's annoying asymmetry that is only vaguely headed in the right direction. Maybe I'm not seeing something correctly though.
I don't know what games this may or may not be in but in chat we were specifically talking about this COD and how things feel great some matches and off on others and sometimes I melt people and some matches I just keep getting melted

That's when my buddy said off the record to look into damage based MM and he laughed so I would assume its in this game and he is someone who would 100% know (though he never came out and said its in this game)

twilo99

Gold Member

Messy indeed.

Between all of that and having to go against aim assist has become quite the task. I played a bit of CS2 last night and it feels soo much cleaner it's crazy : (

Last edited:

calistan

I don't know what games this may or may not be in but in chat we were specifically talking about this COD and how things feel great some matches and off on others and sometimes I melt people and some matches I just keep getting melted

That's when my buddy said off the record to look into damage based MM and he laughed so I would assume its in this game and he is someone who would 100% know (though he never came out and said its in this game)
That patent sounds to me like it's more of an adaptive skill level thing that might be applied to singleplayer games. In a multiplayer game where your business is based on keeping people playing for as long as possible it seems counterproductive to effectively put blanks in somebody's gun if he's doing too well.

CoD and most other FPS have always had that feeling of can't miss in some matches versus can't catch a break in others. In the past people would blame it on lag or host advantage, but now there's stuff like this to hang a conspiracy theory on. I just don't think anyone would patent something so egregious. Including it in the game and keeping it secret is unlikely enough, but having it in the public domain like that... I really doubt this is what's happening.

clarky

Gold Member
Isn't anyone else pissed off that they didn't fix MW2 instead of releasing a game with MW2 maps while selling it full price, causing MW2 to be left in the dust bin? It's everything wrong with the industry today.

They do this every every year though. Admittedly not as blatant but still.

In a perfect world youd just have this and BLOPS as evolving platforms no need for a new game every year but they'd lose too much money doing it that way.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That patent sounds to me like it's more of an adaptive skill level thing that might be applied to singleplayer games. In a multiplayer game where your business is based on keeping people playing for as long as possible it seems counterproductive to effectively put blanks in somebody's gun if he's doing too well.

CoD and most other FPS have always had that feeling of can't miss in some matches versus can't catch a break in others. In the past people would blame it on lag or host advantage, but now there's stuff like this to hang a conspiracy theory on. I just don't think anyone would patent something so egregious. Including it in the game and keeping it secret is unlikely enough, but having it in the public domain like that... I really doubt this is what's happening.
Possibly but the patent is titled

“Matchmaking System and Method for Multiplayer Video Games”

hinch7

Messy indeed.

Between all of that and having to go against aim assist has become quite the task. I played a bit of CS2 last night and it feels soo much cleaner it's crazy : (

No wonder it seems like my aim was off when ADS (using mouse and keyboard). Plus the reticule shift thats almost like acceleration shift. This is horseshit for KB+M players where you can't fall back on aim assist and is all direct input.

No they weren’t but I can pretty much guarantee you won’t be coming against YouTubers and nuke droppers that often, ultimately this whole version of SBMM has only been in effect since MW 2019, its not really as if there is a 10 year gap here to before social media took over, I’m hardly a amazing player I’m 41 with 3 kids and play casual, I can handle having my ass handed to me fair and square, what I cannot stand is the nonsense SBMM imposes on you, unloading a whole clip into someone who looks at you and instantly melts you etc etc, its always on a constant cycle of dominate in effectively bot level lobbies, then end up in lobbies that real SBMM should basically be getting you were it feels pretty much correct and K/D is balanced, then suddenly being propelled into lobbies where you end up going 5-20 before straight back to square one in the bot level lobbies.
Again just for the sake of discussion ,
Imagine no sbmm I'm a 4.0 kd player and Ur a 1.0 kd player I will forever ruin games for u man, lobbies don't disband and it matches us based on our pings and I'm closest to u get ready to get fucked all night.
Back when warzone launched people were playing it casually for a good time I always ended up in top ten , I tried warzone 2 a few months ago and it's the most disgusting my life depends on it , Groot skinned sweat Fest
I literally played like 20 games and all games felt like people are fighting like their life depends on it , i can bet u it's not because of sbmm it's because only competitive sweat Fests play the game now.

I was lvling tyr Rh pistol the other day it's a horrible horrible gun probably the worst gun in MW3
The first 3 4 games of rust 24/7 were painful than I started doing around 1.0 kd type of games with it and till I maxed it stayed that way , one game after that I got my bas p out and had like a 17 kd in that game, didn't touched multiplayer after that because I know I will be matched against gods who will tear me a new asshole next game

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
More on the match making patent as it’s designed to influence MTX by pairing new players with players decked out in fancy gear to try to get the newer player to buy stuff and look like the higher level player.

Influencing Game-Related Purchases through Targeted Matchmaking

According to an aspect of the invention, microtransaction engine 128 may arrange matches to influence game-related purchases. Game-related purchases may include an acquisition by a player of an item in exchange for a fee, such as a real currency fee, a virtual currency fee, and/or other type of fee. The item may include an in-game item (e.g., a power-up, virtual weaponry, a virtual vehicle, an extra life, an extended life, etc.), a new level or map, and/or other item that may be used in relation to a game.

For example, microtransaction engine 128 may match a more expert/marquee or otherwise influential player (e.g., clan leader) with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases. A junior player may wish to emulate a marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player. Other types of pairings and/or other groupings of players may be used as well.

Microtransaction engine 128 may analyze various items used by marquee players and, if at least one of the items is currently being offered for sale (with or without a promotion), match the marquee player with another player (e.g., a junior player) that does not use or own the item. Similarly, microtransaction engine 128 may identify items offered for sale, identify marquee players that use or possess those items, and match the marquee players with other players who do not use or possess those items. In this manner, microtransaction engine 128 may leverage the matchmaking abilities described herein to influence purchase decisions for game-related purchases.

In an implementation, microtransaction engine 128 may target particular players to make game-related purchases based on their interests. For example, microtransaction engine 128 may identify a junior player to match with a marquee player based on a player profile of the junior player. In a particular example, the junior player may wish to become an expert sniper in a game (e.g., as determined from the player profile). Microtransaction engine 128 may match the junior player with a player that is a highly skilled sniper in the game. In this manner, the junior player may be encouraged to make game-related purchases such as a rifle or other item used by the highly skilled sniper.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
More on the match making patent as it’s designed to influence MTX by pairing new players with players decked out in fancy gear to try to get the newer player to buy stuff and look like the higher level player.

Influencing Game-Related Purchases through Targeted Matchmaking

According to an aspect of the invention, microtransaction engine 128 may arrange matches to influence game-related purchases. Game-related purchases may include an acquisition by a player of an item in exchange for a fee, such as a real currency fee, a virtual currency fee, and/or other type of fee. The item may include an in-game item (e.g., a power-up, virtual weaponry, a virtual vehicle, an extra life, an extended life, etc.), a new level or map, and/or other item that may be used in relation to a game.

For example, microtransaction engine 128 may match a more expert/marquee or otherwise influential player (e.g., clan leader) with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases. A junior player may wish to emulate a marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player. Other types of pairings and/or other groupings of players may be used as well.

Microtransaction engine 128 may analyze various items used by marquee players and, if at least one of the items is currently being offered for sale (with or without a promotion), match the marquee player with another player (e.g., a junior player) that does not use or own the item. Similarly, microtransaction engine 128 may identify items offered for sale, identify marquee players that use or possess those items, and match the marquee players with other players who do not use or possess those items. In this manner, microtransaction engine 128 may leverage the matchmaking abilities described herein to influence purchase decisions for game-related purchases.

In an implementation, microtransaction engine 128 may target particular players to make game-related purchases based on their interests. For example, microtransaction engine 128 may identify a junior player to match with a marquee player based on a player profile of the junior player. In a particular example, the junior player may wish to become an expert sniper in a game (e.g., as determined from the player profile). Microtransaction engine 128 may match the junior player with a player that is a highly skilled sniper in the game. In this manner, the junior player may be encouraged to make game-related purchases such as a rifle or other item used by the highly skilled sniper.
Makes sense.

Thats why they have those gay looking lobbies showing all the characters staring at you decked out. On the other hand my guy is using whatever the default class look since day one.

For revenue generating, guys like me make $0 mtx, but all they need are some other people to buy mtx and they win.

For all the people like me who never buy mtx, I'm sure their coders and strategy dudes brainstorm how to get gamers like me to buy anything. Even if it's just a $1 purchase, there's got to be something that can hook me in. Nothing yet. Last time I bought mtx were old 360 map packs for MW3 2011. I think life I have bought one Gears map pack, a bunch of COD map packs back in the day that were 1200 Xbox Pts I think and that's it. I think the Gears map pack was 800 pts. Other than those Ive never bought any mtx, dashboard skins, v-money, DLC, season passes etc...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Makes sense.

Thats why they have those gay looking lobbies showing all the characters staring at you decked out. On the other hand my guy is using whatever the default class look since day one.

For revenue generating, guys like me make $0 mtx, but all they need are some other people to buy mtx and they win.

For all the people like me who never buy mtx, I'm sure their coders and strategy dudes brainstorm how to get gamers like me to buy anything. Even if it's just a $1 purchase, there's got to be something that can hook me in. Nothing yet. Last time I bought mtx were old 360 map packs for MW3 2011. I think life I have bought one Gears map pack, a bunch of COD map packs back in the day that were 1200 Xbox Pts I think and that's it. I think the Gears map pack was 800 pts. Other than those Ive never bought any mtx, dashboard skins, v-money, DLC, season passes etc...
Same here explains a lot as I am using a base operator from MW 2 yet and my lobbies have Rambo and the Diablo 4 chick standing next to me all the time

twilo99

Gold Member
No wonder it seems like my aim was off when ADS (using mouse and keyboard). Plus the reticule shift thats almost like acceleration shift. This is horseshit for KB+M players where you can't fall back on aim assist and is all direct input.

I got used to dealing with the visual clutter all over the screen, and some of the sway bs, and I'm also cool with playing against aim assist, but now it just feel really off in some gun fights, but at least now I know why.. maybe I should just stand still during gunfights to avoid some of the reticle misalignment

hinch7

I got used to dealing with the visual clutter all over the screen, and some of the sway bs, and I'm also cool with playing against aim assist, but now it just feel really off in some gun fights, but at least now I know why.. maybe I should just stand still during gunfights to avoid some of the reticle misalignment
Yeah this year they've really ramped up the stakes against KB+M players. All this in addition to higher TTK, faster run speeds and perks. Might help especially with precision guns.

I've recently been using WASP-9 and fast ADS tuning to compensate for aim. Not really ideal for all ranges but feels a lot better to use that most guns in short to mid fights.

Last edited:
Top Bottom