• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is why I wish they'd drop last gen already. Afaik these things don't work on PS5 so when you have crossplay off lobbies everyone cheating with one of these is playing the PS4 copy of the game.

Anyway SHG is doing an AMA on Reddit and predictably most of the questions are about the horrible SBMM/EOMM that's ruining the game right now.

Sadly they are now working for PS5 and even though Ybarra and I talked about devices like these many times while he was at Xbox and he always said they could see when people were using these devices it seems the cheaters are always staying one step ahead of the devs

Many people feel so many streamers use these devices and deep down the devs dont REALLY want to take a super hard stance on them because of their content creators and the fact there are a ton of these out there and would lose a lot of business

Here is how strong the aim assist is on these things, not total aim botting but close enough

Mephisto40

Seems Cronus still working for consoles.

Came across this video doing some research as I was sure a couple of guys were straight cheating on PS only lobbies

If you look at the scoreboards there is a fairly big number of playstation users that are cheating, but they aren't using Cronus, they are using development PS4's that you can inject code into

Found this out the hard way when I was in a Rust lobby, and one of the players got 140 kills, had the VTOL and gunship out the entire game and then won by nuke at the end

I reported them to activsion, but they are still on the scoreboard collecting wins, it fairly obvious the people that are cheating because they all have 1 loss and a ridiculously high number of wins on the "total wins" scoreboard

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If you look at the scoreboards there is a fairly big number of playstation users that are cheating, but they aren't using Cronus, they are using development PS4's that you can inject code into

Found this out the hard way when I was in a Rust lobby, and one of the players got 140 kills, had the VTOL and gunship out the entire game and then won by nuke at the end
The amount of players cheating in this COD seems to be at an all time high and its really not hard to tell who is good and who is getting "help"

These devs need to start taking banning way more serious but again likely a huge negative to their bottom line

The amount of players cheating in this COD seems to be at an all time high and its really not hard to tell who is good and who is getting "help"

These devs need to start taking banning way more serious but again likely a huge negative to their bottom line
That sucks. I know that these anti cheat system level kernel drivers are likely not allowed on console to prevent it from being exploited or whatever, but console manufacturers should be working with companies on these things. Kind of takes all the fun out of multiplayer gaming.

Their happy to work overtime on stopping bad language or talking smack but who gives a shit if you cheat? Priorities are fucked.

Mephisto40

That sucks. I know that these anti cheat system level kernel drivers are likely not allowed on console to prevent it from being exploited or whatever, but console manufacturers should be working with companies on these things. Kind of takes all the fun out of multiplayer gaming.

Their happy to work overtime on stopping bad language or talking smack but who gives a shit if you cheat? Priorities are fucked.
It it odd they are arent getting banned, I mean all it takes is to look at the "total wins" scoreboard and it's pretty clear which accounts are cheating, because they all have 1 loss and 50+ wins, you'd think they would just be able to do a "select all accounts with 1 loss and 50+ wins " and just ban all those accounts, no legitimate player has stats like that

It it odd they are arent getting banned, I mean all it takes is to look at the "total wins" scoreboard and it's pretty clear which accounts are cheating, because they all have 1 loss and 50+ wins, you'd think they would just be able to do a "select all accounts with 1 loss and 50+ wins " and just ban all those accounts, no legitimate player has stats like that
They shouldn't have anyway, especially when you start to consider the SBMM being so heavy handed that you basically cannot achieve that many wins as you'll be grouped with worse players (or even no players) the more you win.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not long after the game launched COD retweeted a guy showing he had 100 wins in a row but they took it down after so many people were saying no way it was legit

Mephisto40

Not long after the game launched COD retweeted a guy showing he had 100 wins in a row but they took it down after so many people were saying no way it was legit
That's absolutely ridiculous that the developers don't even recognize it, mind you it was probably just a single idiot in their marketing team that doesn't play the game

nemiroff

Gold Member
I find all of that "meta" focus so excruciatingly energy-draining.. I just want to be with people who just want to have some good clean jump-in fun time. But maybe I'm being too selfish.

Things I dislike in CoD which ruins my personal idea what fun is in a mp game:
* Cheating (duh) (yes; that includes "Cronuses")
* Overly sweaty SBMM

That's the obvious ones, now for the less critical ones:
* Killstreaks (I sometimes just want an additional solid set of normal multiplayer playlists without them..)
* Grenade spamming (do players really need to always respawn with a full set of lethals and tacticals..?) How about a cooldown disregarding respawns.

I guess the other two is subjective and futile to be annoyed about, but I'm at least allowed to wish them away:
* When there's too many one-track minded K/D and challenge players. I mean, not asking for much, I just want to people to take one step ahead and pick up that tag instead of running the other way.. If you have 40 kills and 2 tags in a KC game.., come on..
* When there's too many sweaty "meta" players

Honorable mention: Fuck "dead silence", it makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Disclaimer: I don't want what makes CoD CoD to go away, but a little bit of mitigation would be nice.

Edit1: Another item on the wishlist: An absolute MM based on controls-type, including when throwing you into the middle of a game.
Edit2: Last on the Wishlist: A better incentive to make people not quit matches. Perhaps something similar to the way they did it during "The Haunting"?

Last edited:

calistan

I find all of that "meta" focus so excruciatingly energy-draining.. I just want to be with people who just want to have some good clean jump-in fun time. But maybe I'm being too selfish.

Things I dislike in CoD which ruins my personal idea what fun is in a mp game:
* Cheating (duh) (yes; that includes "Cronuses")
* Overly sweaty SBMM

That's the obvious ones, now for the less critical ones:
* Killstreaks (I sometimes just want an additional solid set of normal multiplayer playlists without them..)
* Grenade spamming (do players really need to always respawn with a full set of lethals and tacticals..?) How about a cooldown disregarding respawns.

I guess the other two is subjective and futile to be annoyed about, but I'm at least allowed to wish them away:
* When there's too many one-track minded K/D and challenge players. I mean, not asking for much, I just want to people to take one step ahead and pick up that tag instead of running the other way.. If you have 40 kills and 2 tags in a KC game.., come on..
* When there's too many sweaty "meta" players

Honorable mention: Fuck "dead silence", it makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Disclaimer: I don't want what makes CoD CoD to go away, but a little bit of mitigation would be nice.

Edit1: Another item on the wishlist: An absolute MM based on controls-type, including when throwing you into the middle of a game.
Edit2: Last on the Wishlist: A better incentive to make people not quit matches. Perhaps something similar to the way they did it during "The Haunting"?
I really don't get the complaints about SBMM. Maybe it's the way I play, but it seems to work fine for me - I don't have a couple of easy wins and then get thrown to the sharks like other people seem to experience. It was discussed earlier that high K/D might have a disproportionate effect on matchmaking (see the big points awarded at the end to players who ignore the objectives and just rack up kills).

Do they not have a barebones mode in this one? I always preferred that when it was available in the past, but I could never get any friends to play with me there for long. They all prefer killstreaks.

They should add a casual mode where you don't unlock anything and your scores aren't recorded. People might try different things if they weren't afraid of ruining their precious stats.

- Prox mines >>> claymores. It's important to plant them around corners since enemies can see the colours flashing. Its not like old school bouncing betties in COD games which blended into the ground. Dont plant them too close around the corner. Give it a bit of space to trigger since someone rounding the corner might be able to run right through it
I've been using claymores/prox mines since 2009, usually set on an entrance a little ways back to hide it while I'm watching another opening. It's like having an automated guard dog watch your back. Even if it doesn't take an enemy out, it gives you useful information as to their position.

The number of times I see a claymore/prox mine out in the middle of a room is wild. Like, you know everyone can see that a mile off, right?

They should add a casual mode where you don't unlock anything and your scores aren't recorded. People might try different things if they weren't afraid of ruining their precious stats.
Casual mode should be the modes that are currently available and they should have a proper ranked playlist like CS2 has where your rank changes based on your performance and wins losses (Premier or ranked mode). This ranked game type should be impacted by SBMM more heavily and the casual mode should be light SBMM but prioritising ping over everything else.

This is what I imagine most people want, but I imagine this will impact Activision's bottom line where they use specific matchmaking algorithms based on player engagement (or so I've read about previously).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I agree with a casual mode so people can goof around and not so be so serious. But there's two main drawbacks.

1. It splinters off gamers

2. If people have fun goofing around, some people will never leave this mode. Hence, no need to buy mtx to prove how outfitted your player or help level up etc...

calistan

Casual mode should be the modes that are currently available and they should have a proper ranked playlist like CS2 has where your rank changes based on your performance and wins losses (Premier or ranked mode). This ranked game type should be impacted by SBMM more heavily and the casual mode should be light SBMM but prioritising ping over everything else.

This is what I imagine most people want, but I imagine this will impact Activision's bottom line where they use specific matchmaking algorithms based on player engagement (or so I've read about previously).
That makes a lot of sense. I tend to play a few rounds here and there, rather than cane it night after night. So I suppose if you're on a losing streak and you give it a rest for a few days, it's in everybody's interest if you're given easier matchups when you come back.

It would explain how I'm able to get a W/L ratio that seems to far exceed my ability as a player. When I start losing, it's probably time for bed. Next time I play, maybe the game is saying 'welcome back, stay a while longer'.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It would explain how I'm able to get a W/L ratio that seems to far exceed my ability as a player. When I start losing, it's probably time for bed. Next time I play, maybe the game is saying 'welcome back, stay a while longer'.
My WL is the worst ever in all COD I've played. At 0.60-ish WL and 1.40 KD. Historically in old games way back then I'd be 2.00 WL or around 65-70% win %.

When I first started playing MWIII I did decent. I know the maps from the 2009 days so I'm familiar with the maps even if they adjusted them and I stuck to using the default operator class with BAS-B and Riviter shotgun.

At one point I strung together 5 wins in a row I went like 12-2 or 15-5 kinds of games. I thought I'd be racking up the wins and KD like the old days. From there it's been downhill. Despite being level 20-30... now I;m at 40. Every lobby is almost all level 55 guys with crazy camo and gear. I'm lucky to win two games in a row.

If SBMM is based on WL record, I dont see it. If it was, I should be put in some easy lobbies where I win more going forward to get me back to 1.00 WL.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
My WL is the worst ever in all COD I've played. At 0.60-ish WL and 1.40 KD. Historically in old games way back then I'd be 2.00 WL or around 65-70% win %.

When I first started playing MWIII I did decent. I know the maps from the 2009 days so I'm familiar with the maps even if they adjusted them and I stuck to using the default operator class with BAS-B and Riviter shotgun.

At one point I strung together 5 wins in a row I went like 12-2 or 15-5 kinds of games. I thought I'd be racking up the wins and KD like the old days. From there it's been downhill. Despite being level 20-30... now I;m at 40. Every lobby is almost all level 55 guys with crazy camo and gear. I'm lucky to win two games in a row.

If SBMM is based on WL record, I dont see it. If it was, I should be put in some easy lobbies where I win more going forward to get me back to 1.00 WL.
For me being a very average player if I keep trying my best and do well I am quickly brought down to reality by SBMM

The best way I have found to have fun is either the first few games of the day as SBMM seems to me to reset everyday based on your play or when I know I have been put into the very good lobbies its when I work on leveling sniper rifles or pistols and essentially reverse boot for several matches then you get dropped into bot lobbies again

Mr Moose

For some reason having some trouble with aiming in MP... finally played a few more matches tonight and there were several times where i would be sprinting and come up on an enemy hold to ADS and my gun points up towards the sky instead of anywhere near the enemy and i have to fight with the controller to get it back on target. Costs me so many 1v1 battles it was driving me crazy. Was just messing around with some of the default setups and the battle rifle seemed insanely inaccurate from mid-long distance like i was losing against everyone even using SMGs from long distance.
That shit happened to me a few times, I thought it was stick drift.

cC16aXG.gif

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The best way I have found to have fun is either the first few games of the day as SBMM seems to me to reset everyday based on your play or when I know I have been put into the very good lobbies its when I work on leveling sniper rifles or pistols and essentially reverse boot for several matches then you get dropped into bot lobbies again
Next time I play (probably tonight) I'll track that and see if the first matches are generally easy as the algorithm is figuring things out.

I have one question:
How many and which modes does this game have?
Still hesitant of buying it but it would be great to know all the modes that come included with the base game.
Are there any party game modes like one in the chamber, all or nothing, prop hunt or gun game?
Because playing TDM, domination, hardpont and kill confirmed can become pretty tedious after a while and these would bring in some much needed variety.

Mr Moose

I have one question:
Still hesitant of buying it but it would be great to know all the modes that come included with the base game.
Are there any party game modes like one in the chamber, all or nothing, prop hunt or gun game?
Because playing TDM, domination, hardpont and kill confirmed can become pretty tedious after a while and these would bring in some much needed variety.
TDM, FFA, HP, Dom, Kill Confirmed, S&D, Control, War, Ground War, Invasion and Cutthroat (no idea wtf the last two are).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have one question:
TDM, FFA, HP, Dom, Kill Confirmed, S&D, Control, War, Ground War, Invasion and Cutthroat (no idea wtf the last two are).

So no party game modes at all.
That's rather weak. I knew the SP and zombies would be low effort but at least they could have taken the MP up a notch by adding various beloved modes after confirming they were just recycling old maps.
I will just wait then and by Season 2-3 there should be enough content to justify a buy just for the MP.

twilo99

Gold Member
They should consider doing unlimited tac sprint for Warzone.. the current system works well on the small maps, but on the big one this will get annoying I think

TL;DR modern SBMM heavily prioritizes even matches so those combined with matches you are outmatched you end up sweating 23/7 and it's driving burnout.

havoc00

CoD: Modern Warfare 3 Players Spending More Time In Multiplayer Compared To MW2​

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 released just over a week ago, and new details from Activision reveal interesting statistics when comparing the game to last year's Modern Warfare 2.

As reported by CharlieIntel, Activision says players are spending more in-game time across all modes in Modern Warfare 3 versus last year's multiplayer. Map statistics show Rust is the top multiplayer map by matches played, and Terminal is the number one map by hours played. In terms of popularity, Scrapyard is the most voted multiplayer map.

Justin9mm

I think it plays so much better than last years offering. SBMM asside (which for me is no worse than last year (but still awful) im having a ton of fun.
Same for me, for some reason MW2 last year was personally my worst performance in recent years. I don't know why I was so bad, but increased TTK has helped for me, being older with shitty reflexes, this game gives me a fighting chance in some situations. The guns feel a bit better to me also. It also helps that I played these older maps a lot back in the day.

Crew511A

I think it plays so much better than last years offering. SBMM asside (which for me is no worse than last year (but still awful) im having a ton of fun.
The only saving grace for MW2 to me was Invasion. I thought the standard 6 v 6 was garbage.

twilo99

Gold Member
Same for me, for some reason MW2 last year was personally my worst performance in recent years. I don't know why I was so bad, but increased TTK has helped for me, being older with shitty reflexes, this game gives me a fighting chance in some situations. The guns feel a bit better to me also. It also helps that I played these older maps a lot back in the day.

The increased TTK is having the opposite effect for me lol I was so used to the MW2019 that this feel really off but I know its just an adjustment

The increased ttk is a godsend tbh, u always have a chance in a gunfight , If u want low ttk play hardcore or mw2.
It absolutely sucks u die in a blink of an eye with no chance of any reaction in past games , ttk is perfect here.
Sbmm is fine too , I've said it before aswell sbmm is good for normal people like us, it's the YouTubers who whine because they can't drop nukes every game.

twilo99

Gold Member
The increased ttk is a godsend tbh, u always have a chance in a gunfight , If u want low ttk play hardcore or mw2.
It absolutely sucks u die in a blink of an eye with no chance of any reaction in past games , ttk is perfect here.
Sbmm is fine too , I've said it before aswell sbmm is good for normal people like us, it's the YouTubers who whine because they can't drop nukes every game.

I’m not saying it’s bad, it’s just throwing me off because I’m not used to it.. otherwise I agree, I think it’s probably better that way and it bring the gun fights closer to what you get on the big map/warzone

twilo99

Gold Member
Did this and seems to help a little bit

Also, those stealth boots or whatever shouldn't be in the game IMO.

Any notes for BAS-B? I'm using it and loving it. I'll be unlocking MCW soon too and want to try that out as it's supposed to be ACR-like.

I didn't see anything but I'm not sure if those were the full update notes so maybe there is something. The BAS-B is nice but unfortunately it has way too much visual recoil for mouse and keyboard

Shame there doesn't seem to be any maps for War mode coming with Season 1. Getting so close to pulling the trigger on this to give it another go.

twilo99

Gold Member
The big map looks relatively dense and rather flat compared to the previous two, so more like Verdansk.. it almost looks like a valley. Really looking forward to it

clarky

Gold Member
Seems they sorted out the packet burst issue thank baby jesus. Hopefully they sort it for Resurgence when it swaps over.

Last edited:
I figured out why they no longer show deaths in matches. They know sbmm is going to change how people play. How I play now? I try for 3/4 of a match and then just do objectives for the last 1/4 and don't shoot back so I can do worse.

congrats Activision

calistan

I figured out why they no longer show deaths in matches. They know sbmm is going to change how people play. How I play now? I try for 3/4 of a match and then just do objectives for the last 1/4 and don't shoot back so I can do worse.

congrats Activision
So you're one of the people who spits his dummy if you aren't doing well enough, and basically ruins it for everyone who was still trying to play properly?

That's a you problem, not an Activision one.

Dude, this isn't real. This was made by a shithead youtuber (dkdynamite) to get clicks based on some twitter rumors. It even says concept under season 1 & the "detonated presents" is his twitter/website. Don't be fooled, he makes about one of these a week.

Edit: I'm sure we will get the real one after Thanksgiving weekend.

Last edited:
Top Bottom