• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger |OT| It's your huckleberry

Andrew.

Banned
3ba9276cc5abaead27f60ef02ef1eea4.png

Steam, PSN and XBL out now between 12 and 15 bucks (and there is no UPlay!)

COJ: Gunslinger shouldn't even be carrying the Juarez title. This is a straight up linear Western FPS with some slight collectible hunting, gorgeous gun battles, a colorful environment and of course, dueling. All complimented by a stellar soundtrack.

RPS review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/20/wot-i-think-call-of-juarez-gunslinger/

We got skills and upgrades:

call-of-juarez-gunslinger-pic-7.png

We got a bullet time-y Concentration mode:

20130422_cojg_screen_concentration_mode-copy.jpg

We got explosions:

Call-of-Juarez-Gunslinger1.jpg

We got pretty locales and blood:

20130506_COJG_screen_Sawn-off_shotgun-680x382.jpg

........And finally, we got NEW GAME FUCKIN' PLUS!

So saddle up on somethin' pardner 'cuz we're about to shoot us some bad guys.

antitrop

Downloading on Steam right now. Super excited, loved BiB and the trailer for this game rubbed me the right way. I need some arcade action.

Andrew.

Banned
Any good? The CoJ name does not instill confidence.

It's fucking sweet man. Im having a blast so far. Forget the name Call of Juarez. Just call it Gunslinger. Treat it as though it has zero relation to past iterations of the series.

antitrop

Any good? The CoJ name does not instill confidence.

The first one is a respectable early-gen FPS, and the sequel is much improved.

It's only The Cartel that tarnishes the name of the franchise. And hopefully not this one on top of it, but I don't think so.

I just played the PS3 demo and it was fun actually. Quite liked the way they tell the story and the gameplay seemed nice, especially being able to upgrade. I never played any of the CoJ games but this one seemed cool.

ezekial45

Banned
Damn, this looks like a lot of fun. I enjoyed Bound In Blood, but I'm cool with having a more fun take on the series. Are there a lot of firearms to find in this game?

Really hope Ubisoft continues down this path.

I Am Alive is another 15 dollar downloadable title from them that I enjoyed quite a bit.

For real. There's been a drought of fun, B-level games - these $15 downloads that Ubi's been putting out have been a great substitute.

Andrew.

Banned
Damn, this looks like a lot of fun. I enjoyed Bound In Blood, but I'm cool with having a more fun take on the series. Are there a lot of firearms to find in this game?

■Dynamite
■Gatling Gun
■Quickshooter
■Ranger
■Rifle
■Sawed-Off Shotgun
■Sawed-Off Rifle (a first for me for a weapon like this. didnt even know they existed. cant wait to try it)
■Shotgun
■Six-Shooter
■Tomahawk

eshwaaz

I only got to play about a half hour, but first impressions are excellent. The story set-up is fun, it has a nice visual style and, most importantly, the shooting feels great and is very satisfying. I can't wait to get home and play more.

antitrop

PC FoV is fairly unplayable and it appears the game doesn't accept non-60hz resolutions (any of mine higher than 1620p). :(

Second one is whatever, not a big deal, but first one must be fixed. TotalBiscuit, ahoy!

Someone inform the developers at TechLand that human beings have eyes in their head, not on their forearms. I would appreciate it.

Stitch

Gold Member
lololol the game is super smooth with the 360 controller but there's heavy micro-stuttering if you use keyboard + mouse. The Chrome Engine is such a huuuuge piece of shit.

Really hope Ubisoft continues down this path.

I Am Alive is another 15 dollar downloadable title from them that I enjoyed quite a bit.

I Am Alive is really awesome. everyone should give it a try. nothing like having to keep track of how many bullets you have andd how many baddies are in your path...makes it feel totally different.

Plissken

Anyone with it on Steam that can confirm/deny it uses UPlay? I'm going to pick this up either way, but if it has UPlay I might just get it on 360 instead.

antitrop

I Am Alive is really awesome. everyone should give it a try. nothing like having to keep track of how many bullets you have andd how many baddies are in your path...makes it feel totally different.

I thought it was super mediocre, but a nice warmup for The Last of Us.

Played the demo on PS3 and bought it on Steam immediately after. I'm really liking it so far.
Could use some AA though. I'll probably have to force through Inspector.

Andrew.

Banned
What's with the black bar mahthingy in the first chapter? Please tell me they go away at some point.

untitled-1yyjug.gif

I cant really see what you're talking about, but Im guessing it's the black rough looking perimeter around the screen? Pretty sure it doesnt go away as its supposed to represent a more graphic novel panel look to it in relation to the story.

Sethos

Banned
I cant really see what you're talking about, but Im guessing it's the black rough looking perimeter around the screen? Pretty sure it doesnt go away as its supposed to represent a more graphic novel panel look to it in relation to the story.

That's simply not an excuse, black bars need to take a ferry out of this world. It's a game, not a novel.

Andrew.

Banned
That's simply not an excuse, black bars need to take a ferry out of this world. It's a game, not a novel.

I agree, though I dont find it game killing or distracting whatsoever in this instance. Try not to let it annihilate your enjoyment.

Sethos

Banned
I agree, though I dont find it game killing or distracting whatsoever in this instance. Try not to let it annihilate your enjoyment.

I can't. Black bars is the bane of my existence and way too distracting / stupid. The fact that it's now a messy overlay effect, it's even more distracting.

Top Bottom