• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger |OT| It's your huckleberry

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I just played 10 minutes of the Arcade mode on PC and had no stuttering while using a keyboard. I do have an Xbox controller plugged in so maybe that helps.

I'll record some videos in abit.

Andrew.

Banned
I just played 10 minutes of the Arcade mode on PC and had no stuttering while using a keyboard. I do have an Xbox controller plugged in so maybe that helps.

I'll record some videos in abit.

How is Arcade mode? I've only taken a bite out of the story and that's it.

And Sethos, sorry to hear that man. Good thing it wasn't a 60 title though right?

antitrop

Obviously. The issue is with repeating keys on a keyboard, using a game controller will bypass the issue entirely.

The fix posted on the last page worked for me, I can't play shooters with a controller.

Sethos

Banned
Obviously. The issue is with repeating keys on a keyboard, using a game controller will bypass the issue entirely.

The fix posted on the last page worked for me, I can't play shooters with a controller.

He's using the keyboard with the controller simply plugged in

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
How is Arcade mode? I've only taken a bite out of the story and that's it.

Pretty fun. I just sped threw to see how it performed so didn't check out all the weapons but it looks great when bullet time takes effect at 120fps.

Yea I'm using a keyboard. I just happened to have a controller plugged in from playing another game earlier.

I will take out the controller when I next start the game to see if any issues happen.

Well, I can finally talk about this game (believe it or not, this the first time I've been under embargo)

I got this on Friday from Ubisoft and i was really nervous on how to approach this game considering I've never been a fan of the series (and to be honest, neither of the developer) However, this was a pleasant surprise for me.
Gameplay is really tight and I appreciated some of the mechanics like bullet time and the "luck" system.
The game is basically linear but there's a bit of room to explore and find collectibles.
The upgrades don't add much in many cases but they're more than welcome (please devs, put upgrades on all my shooters)
Duels are actually fun and as you advance and learn the duel mechanics you have room to tweak and improve how you confront them.
Graphics are actually good, to be honest. Consider this is an XBLA game. Very colorful and there's some nice texture work here and there. Loved the soundtrack too.
Some cons: AI is pretty boring to confront. Lack of weapon variety. Boss battles are forgettable and follow the same pattern.

In case of tl;dr: is a good game with some minor issues that don't distract from the enjoyment of the shooting mechanics. Give it a chance! (x360 version tested)

Artorias

Banned
I will pick this up soonish. Bound in Blood is one of my favorite games of this gen. I know there is some jank to it, but playing Wanted on that map with the big church and saloon is just unbelievable. Its probably my most played MP game this gen.

Raptor

Well, I can finally talk about this game (believe it or not, this the first time I've been under embargo)

I got this on Friday from Ubisoft and i was really nervous on how to approach this game considering I've never been a fan of the series (and to be honest, neither of the developer) However, this was a pleasant surprise for me.
Gameplay is really tight and I appreciated some of the mechanics like bullet time and the "luck" system.
The game is basically linear but there's a bit of room to explore and find collectibles.
The upgrades don't add much in many cases but they're more than welcome (please devs, put upgrades on all my shooters)
Duels are actually fun and as you advance and learn the duel mechanics you have room to tweak and improve how you confront them.
Graphics are actually good, to be honest. Consider this is an XBLA game. Very colorful and there's some nice texture work here and there. Loved the soundtrack too.
Some cons: AI is pretty boring to confront. Lack of weapon variety. Boss battles are forgettable and follow the same pattern.

In case of tl;dr: is a good game with some minor issues that don't distract from the enjoyment of the shooting mechanics. Give it a chance! (x360 version tested)

Good impressions man, thanks.

Played a few minutes on the PC and it's really enjoyable, getting combos is quite nice and something I'd never bother doing in other shooters. Looks great shame about the FOV :/.

The storytelling so far is my favourite bit and the 'Nuggets of Truth' are interesting to read. I missed 1 on the first level so I'll replay it again.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah those Truth Nugz are a great read. Found em all so far in the first two areas. Luckily they arent really well hidden and you get access to an early upgrade that allows you to hear a sound when you're close to one.

Also, the shielded foes remind me so much of the guardians in Mass Effect 2/3, complete with the trophy/cheev for killing them by shooting them through their little peep hole.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Ok I replayed the same Arcade level with both controller and keyboard. The issue seems to be running the game at 60Hz. I could play the game at 60Hz with a controller but on the keyboard it felt a mess and due to it stuttering I was aiming all over the place.

Once I pushed the config to 120hz or 144hz the problem went away. I haven't tried it yet but 75hz may also fix the issue.

jet1911

Tried the PA3 demo yesterday, bought the game on Steam today. I had a couple of runs on the first arcade level, I think I'll play this mode a lot! I need some competition though, Steam is jet1911 is you guys want to add me.

I'm sure I'm not just speaking for myself when I say that I had no expections for this whatsoever, so I'm glad to hear it's actually pretty good. Will probably jump on this blind.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm sure I'm not just speaking for myself that I had no expections for this whatsoever, so I'm glad to hear it's actually pretty good. Will probably jump on this blind.

I think it's what most of us are doing. It's what I did and I'm pretty blown away.

Keep those 15 dollar gems comin, Ubi

burgerdog

Check the options menu. I know you can adjust the borders so maybe you can completely disable them.

That was premature, after playing for a bit I don't notice them anymore. This game looks awesome and most importantly it is really fun. Buy this game, gaf.

Andrew.

Banned
That was premature, after playing for a bit I don't notice them anymore. This game looks awesome and most importantly it is really fun. Buy this game, gaf.

Yeah exactly. The border becomes unnoticeable to me within moments of playing. There's way too many other pretty things to look at.

Played through a few levels and I think it's pretty great. The art style is really nice and I'm digging the storytelling so far. The gunplay feels really good, and landing combos is super satisfying.

Those fucking borders stay on your screen? Ugh. UGH.

Also, why the hell did they encrypt the data files? I was excited for this game using Chrome Engine, which was always pretty moddable. But this game...

I'm not happy.

I'm going ot have to drape a SweetFX Vignette over that stupid overlay to emulate an anamorphic aspect ratio. At least that feels more natural to me...

Tokubetsu

Loving it as well. It's basically CoJ but heavily stylized and all the fat removed. $14.99 price point of entry was perfect.

Yes.

#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.07
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 54
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 16
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 40

Looks good enough to me.

Ah, I'm just using plain old SMAA Ultra setting. Not SweetFX.

Honestly, has there been any marketing for this? The first time I even heard about this is when I saw a thread named 'Call of Juarez Launch Trailer' pop up.

It's not like I stay up to date with any game out there, and maybe I just automatically tuned out whenever I read 'Call of Juarez', but it seems like the quality/marketing ratio on this was remarkably (and tragically) high.

Anyways, I'm probably going to pick this up for Xbox 360 on friday and post some impressions over the weekend.

EDIT: What are the 'bars' people are talking about? The black outsides of the screen as seen in the pictures in the OT, or something worse?

Honestly, has there been any marketing for this? The first time I even heard about this is when I saw a thread named 'Call of Juarez Launch Trailer' pop up.

It's not like I stay up to date with any game out there, and maybe I just automatically tuned out whenever I read 'Call of Juarez', but it seems like the quality/marketing ratio on this was remarkably (and tragically) high.

Anyways, I'm probably going to pick this up for Xbox 360 on friday and post some impressions over the weekend.

Not really.

Haven't seen anything about this game outside of NeoGaf.

This game needs more hype. Best in the series and it probably surpasses Blood Dragon as my best arcade shooter this year. I finished campaign on normal in about four hours, which seemed just right. There needs to be more of these cheap, short and well crafted games with triple-a production values.

Andrew.

Banned
You are right. That game had black bars in 16:10.

You're so racist man. I bet if they were white bars you'd have no issues.

And holy shit, I just wiped out some guys and afterwards I brought both pistols to up to my face and blew on the barrel tips. Thats a first.

Top Bottom