• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger |OT| It's your huckleberry

Andrew.

Banned
I totally pulled that OT title out of my ass and obviously it's inspired by Tombstone.

However I had no idea there would be so many links to Tombstone and its characters and history in this. Curly Bill, Johnny Ringo, the Clantons, and even the McLaurys are mentioned. Good fucking stuff.

Andrew.

Banned
I love how the duel system can actually be sorta challenging this time. Playing with a controller at least haha.

Yeah I like it too. Took me awhile to get the hang of it though. I mean about twenty or so deaths and I'm playing on hard. I had to adjust the sensitivity down a bit as well.

Should I know anything about Call of Juarez's story before playing this?

Nope. Thats the beauty of it. Clean slate. Forget the initial title.

Yet for some reason I've yet to get around to Bound In Blood which I know is supposed to be good.

I totally pulled that OT title out of my ass and obviously it's inspired by Tombstone.

However I had no idea there would be so many links to Tombstone and its characters and history in this. Curly Bill, Johnny Ringo, the Clantons, and even the McLaurys are mentioned. Good fucking stuff.

Fun fact here. I live about 20 minutes from Tombstone. It is indeed the town too tough to die! :D

Tokubetsu

Yeah I like it too. Took me awhile to get the hang of it though. I mean about twenty or so deaths and I'm playing on hard. I had to adjust the sensitivity down a bit as well.

Nope. Thats the beauty of it. Clean slate. Forget the initial title.

Yet for some reason I've yet to get around to Bound In Blood which I know is supposed to be good.

Yeah I'm playing on hard as well and took ten or so deahts to get the hang of it. Becomes a real balancing act between focus and draw speed. At first I thought draw speed was more important but they're both pretty important. Draw speed maybe weighted a bit more for me.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah I'm playing on hard as well and took ten or so deahts to get the hang of it. Becomes a real balancing act between focus and draw speed. At first I thought draw speed was more important but they're both pretty important. Draw speed maybe weighted a bit more for me.

My reaction time sucks. I can focus fine and have no issues building it up. But once I get the prompt, its tough to line up that shot in those couple seconds you have.

DukeBobby

My reaction time sucks. I can focus fine and have no issues building it up. But once I get the prompt, its tough to line up that shot in those couple seconds you have.

In the first dual, my focus was 100%, but by the time I drew my gun, my cursor was in the top left corner.

I'm fucked in the later duals.

Tokubetsu

The crosshair that pops up feels super floaty. Slight nudge and it swings wide off target.

Andrew.

Banned
In the first dual, my focus was 100%, but by the time I drew my gun, my cursor was in the top left corner.

I'm fucked in the later duals.

Yup. The cursor movement is mega sensitive which is why Ive been fiddling around with the sensitivity for look and deadzone. I'm much more successful if I barely touch it, like literally almost keep my thumb off the analog stick.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm probably in the minority on this, but I played BiB for the first time yesterday and thought it was awful.

I doubt you are. The polarizing opinions are one of the reasons why I'm sketchy on it. Then again, Im a Kane & Lynch 2 fan, So BiB could end up being quite good to me. I played the original Juarez a long time ago and thought it was decent, although that lasso platforming swinging bullshit with all the Deadly Eagles flying around sucked ass.

burgerdog

Only that BiB is worth playing if you enjoy this, which you will.

I was playing BiB before this released and shit, now that I've played Gunslinger I don't want to go back. I'm going to force myself to finish BiB, though, I enjoyed what I played, but Gunslinger is just so much better.

DukeBobby

I doubt you are. The polarizing opinions are one of the reasons why I'm sketchy on it. Then again, Im a Kane & Lynch 2 fan, So BiB could end up being quite good to me. I played the original Juarez a long time ago and thought it was decent, although that lasso platforming swinging bullshit with all the Deadly Eagles flying around sucked ass.

They got rid of most of the annoying shit, including the awful stealth sequences (except one near the start of the game).

I was playing BiB before this released and shit, now that I've played Gunslinger I don't want to go back. I'm going to force myself to finish BiB, though, I enjoyed what I played, but Gunslinger is just so much better.

I didn't like BiB's story or characters and I thought the shooting was kinda sluggish.

Gunslinger just does everything better.

If BiB is gonna get compared to Singularity, then I'm auto-in. I loved Singularity.

It has nothing to do with Singularity. Singularity was very Bioshock-ish and Half-Life-ish. This is a standard corridor shooter with some nice and cheeky storytelling and has good gunplay. If you put the price into this, its a great game. Better than most of those shitty retails.

Fuck it. Just ordered it on Prime. It'll be here for the weekend.

You're welcome, Antitrop.

It has nothing to do with Singularity. Singularity was very Bioshock-ish and Half-Life-ish. This is a standard corridor shooter with some nice and cheeky storytelling and has good gunplay. If you put the price into this, its a great game. Better than most of those shitty retails.

Yeah, I wasn't comparing the setting or anything, just that they are initially mildly received middleware titles that got a cult following over the years. See also: Binary Domain.

Again, I have not played these games so I can't say anything about their qualilty, this is just what I noticed hanging around on forums like NeoGAF.

Varna

Instantly regret buying this. The micro-stuttering in absolutely insane when playing with mouse and keyboard. My god this somehow passed the QA?

DocSeuss

Why can't I be playing this right now

why do I have to wait to go home

dammit

all of you

I am so jealous right now, I'm going to pretend it's you I'm shooting so awesomely.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah, I wasn't comparing the setting or anything, just that they are initially mildly received middleware titles that got a cult following over the years. See also: Binary Domain.

Again, I have not played these games so I can't say anything about their qualilty, this is just what I noticed hanging around on forums like NeoGAF.

Roight. And I knew exactly where you coming from. Cheers.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Other then that stupid ass border, it's a nice looking game.

ibuCAYJ3yyqLuW.png

I don't think I'll play it until that Border is made optional or someone mods it out... assuming that's even possible with the data files being encrypted. Meh...

Andrew.

Banned
I don't think I'll play it until that Border is made optional or someone mods it out... assuming that's even possible with the data files being encrypted. Meh...

You really shouldn't let a fucking border detract you from this experience especially at its selling price. This is a quality title and if you're any sort of dedicated gaming enthusiast with a love for the Western sub genre you owe it to yourself to at least try it. That's what demos are for anyway right?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You really shouldn't let a fucking border detract you from this experience especially at its selling price. This is a quality title and if you're any sort of dedicated gaming enthusiast with a love for the Western sub genre you owe it to yourself to at least try it. That's what demos are for anyway right?

neoenigma isn't capable of enjoying games for the game, he has to be able to take hudless freecam screenshots of it or he has a seizure or something.

Sheppard

Game is awesome. Loving every part of it. And that soundtrack. Does anyone know if there is a way I can get rid of the hud and put the gun away to take screenshots?

Ricker

Didn't like it on the 360...so many jaggies makes it hard to see where the shooters are until you get shot,the aiming is bad and the constant gun reloads annoyed me to no end...

Andrew.

Banned
Didn't like it on the 360...so many jaggies makes it hard to see where the shooters are until you get shot,the aiming is bad and the constant gun reloads annoyed me to no end...

You can adjust the aiming sensitivity and you eventually get faster reload upgrades. Quit being a pansy.

Top Bottom