• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger |OT| It's your huckleberry

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Well, this was a fun romp. Fantastic storytelling and presentation, music, gameplay. Nuggets of Truth were a delight for a Wild West fan like myself. Only major gripe I had was with the bullet hole effect when you'd get shot, almost as irritating as MW2's bloody jam; would have been nice to have an option to disable it and just have a regular health meter. But all in all, great game, especially considering the price.

Jintor

There's only one complaint I want to make about this game and that there's not nearly enough doors for me to kick in.

Oh, and I want a slide.

And a dive around corners button.

Jesus this game is fun.

Sushigod7

There's only one complaint I want to make about this game and that there's not nearly enough doors for me to kick in.

Oh, and I want a slide.

And a dive around corners button.

Jesus this game is fun.

I was just playing the arcade mode again the other day it's so addicting once you start.

hayguyz

Banned
I had no idea what this game was and assumed it would be crap thanks to the Call of Juarez name

But I saw it mentioned in the Child of Light thread and now I want to get it asap

Blizzard

Banned
I saw someone mention it in the game hub
I just replayed a level today to test my new monitor and get one of the cards that I missed, and I didn't see any issue so it still looks fine to me. There might be someone who has a problem with their system, or with not using vsync.

I used D3DOverrider with vsync and triple buffering. I did have the game stay stuck running after I exited it, so I accidentally got three extra cards without realizing it, but when I launched to the menu again and quit it seemed to quit okay.

I just replayed a level today to test my new monitor and get one of the cards that I missed, and I didn't see any issue so it still looks fine to me. There might be someone who has a problem with their system, or with not using vsync.

I used D3DOverrider with vsync and triple buffering. I did have the game stay stuck running after I exited it, so I accidentally got three extra cards without realizing it, but when I launched to the menu again and quit it seemed to quit okay.

ok thanks!

Card Boy

Banned
Whats peoples configurations for Call of Juarez: Gunslinger?

I am looking at the video.scr file and this is what i got.

Resolution(1920,1080)
Monitor(0)
BPP(24)
FSAA(0)
TexBPP(32)
TextureQuality("High")
VisRange(2.00, 4.00)
Filtering("Anisotropic")
Fullscreen()
Shadows("High")
ShadowMapSize(1024)
SpotShadowMapSize(1024)
Lightmaps()
GammaFloat(1.00)
MaxRefresh(60)
MaterialQuality(0)
FXQuality(3)
FXFadeLevel(2)
WaterQuality(0)
GrassQuality(0)
EnvQuality("FullDynamic")
ShaderPath(3)
VSync()
DisplayDeviceType(0,0.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000)
ForcedHorzFov(90.000000)

I added that last Fov line myself.

Would bumping the ShadowMapSize(1024) SpotShadowMapSize(1024) to 2048 do anything good? Also how do i enable FXAA? I put a 1 where it said 0 but it still don't work. It's still jaggy.

Bought this recently on PSN for under £4 and just started playing it a couple of nights ago. Really excellent game; the shooting feels great, the level design is terrific and I love the style and storytelling. They've really saved the franchise with this, after that abortion of a previous game.

However, I'm stuck and need a bit of help. I'm on the sawmill playing on hard and I can't get past the boss. Dealing with him alone isn't so bad, but he has endlessly respawning backup who really cause me trouble. And I went into the fight with a pistol and rifle, when it feels like a shotty would be more useful, but couldn't see anywhere to pick up alternate weapons. Any tips?

I think I'm nearly finished with this - I must be on about level 9 or 10 by now; chapter 6 I think. I'm looking for
Frank James and his gang hiding out in the forest
. Surprised at how long the campaign is; I'm kind of ready for it to end now, but I'm interested to see where the story goes -
pretty sure the barman is the third nameless quarry who murdered Silas' brothers
, from the hints Silas has been dropping.

Not very keen on the duels, the near-death bullet dodge or the fact that the lens gets really dirty and dim as you get damaged. I'll summarise more when I've finished.

EDIT - also, I loved the level where he was hunting Grey Wolf. The scenery was so beautiful; going through the thick forest with the huge mountain in the background and the waterfall was some of the most striking scenery I've seen in an FPS since Halo Reach or Crysis.

Sushigod7

Yeah the campaign was longer than I thought as well about perfect total play time though. I really enjoyed the game art direction was good and they really optimized the visuals looked great. Hoping we get a follow up not sure what they would do with it but more weapons new locals a nice train shoot out? Maybe going from the villains perspective doing some robberies etc.

IISANDERII

Don't forget the arcade mode, great fun. Never have I platinum-ed a game so fast, or gotten a platinum trophy at all(that is, if there were a damn platinum trophy)

milhouse-explode-o.gif

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I bought this game on Steam during the last sale but haven't even played it at all until today. I've been trying random games from my backlog just to see what they are like, so I decided to play a little of this for like an hour or two.

Yeah, right, six hours later and I just played the story mode from start to finish in one shot. Holy Crap was this a fun shooter. I was hooked from the very get go. Good action, fun gunplay, great music, and an awesome story. It really impressed me. I'm going to have to play some of the other modes too and go back and get all the hidden stuff.

Damn fun game. Super well done. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes shooters or westerns in any way whatsoever.

Blizzard

Banned
So I bought this game on Steam during the last sale but haven't even played it at all until today. I've been trying random games from my backlog just to see what they are like, so I decided to play a little of this for like an hour or two.

Yeah, right, six hours later and I just played the story mode from start to finish in one shot. Holy Crap was this a fun shooter. I was hooked from the very get go. Good action, fun gunplay, great music, and an awesome story. It really impressed me. I'm going to have to play some of the other modes too and go back and get all the hidden stuff.

Damn fun game. Super well done. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes shooters or westerns in any way whatsoever.
I'm glad to hear someone else enjoyed it. I think I've only had one friend I recommended it to who didn't really like it. I thought it was a great, polished package for shooters OR westerns.

Top Bottom