• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger |OT| It's your huckleberry

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How do you know which way to dodge? Or is it based on when you press the button? (I'm using mouse/keyboard) I think A or D started a lean once, but I've never gotten the sheriff to miss a shot.

Are you playing through for the first time? It introduces it to you later, it's like the lean when you're about to die. They shoot in slowmo during a duel, though you could just guess and lean left until it works. :p

Blizzard

Banned
Are you playing through for the first time? It introduces it to you later, it's like the lean when you're about to die. They shoot in slowmo during a duel, though you could just guess and lean left until it works. :p
This was after I finished my SECOND playthrough. This is what I'm trying to explain, I pretty much don't get ANY slow-motion a lot of times during the duel. :p The sheriff draws and fires instantly in maybe 1/3 of a second, real time. I only see the red cursor appear for about 1/3 of a second.

There is literally 1/3 of a second to see the cursor and even start to move for a dodge, and since the bullet is fired diagonally (unlike the ingame sense of death bullet dodge) across the screen, I don't see a way to know whether it was aimed left or right.

Presumably what I am missing is with higher than 50-60% focus, you might actually get a bit of slow motion time. But again, in that situation. you can't see chickens, not even the guy's feet. Even if I drew dishonorably as soon as possible, the sheriff does a NON slow motion draw and fire, maybe 1/2 second?

LiK

This was after I finished my SECOND playthrough. This is what I'm trying to explain, I pretty much don't get ANY slow-motion a lot of times during the duel. :p The sheriff draws and fires instantly in maybe 1/3 of a second, real time. I only see the red cursor appear for about 1/3 of a second.

There is literally 1/3 of a second to see the cursor and even start to move for a dodge, and since the bullet is fired diagonally (unlike the ingame sense of death bullet dodge) across the screen, I don't see a way to know whether it was aimed left or right.

Presumably what I am missing is with higher than 50-60% focus, you might actually get a bit of slow motion time. But again, in that situation. you can't see chickens, not even the guy's feet. Even if I drew dishonorably as soon as possible, the sheriff does a NON slow motion draw and fire, maybe 1/2 second?

you need high focus and high speed for grabbing your gun. i think

Bedlam

I think the slow motion starts right when you grab your gun. So if the speed numbers aren't high enough (amount of time the hand needs to travel from its position to the gun) and you didn't react quickly enough at the draw, the slow-motion wouldn't even start because your hand hasn't reached the gun yet when you get shot.

Took me quite a few tries to get the achievement since there's some luck involved with the positions of the chickens and with dodging bullets.

Zarrastro

Gunslinger was an amazing game.

I was never really good at shooters, neither on console or PC, and i am now getting a little practice. I downloaded the demo on PSN and loved it. The art, the music, the storytelling, Silas voice. And headshots. Lots of headshots.

I ran to my GAME store and bought a 20€ code to unlock the full game (Never understood why they make you download the full game... Just make a demo and the full game separately. I don't trust this unlocking, maybe because i still don't know very well hoy it really works)

Anyway, i started playing it and the campaing mode took me 3 days. Long enough IMHO. I LOVE the music. Really. And the voice acting. I just started NG+ because i want the dual shotgun :)

Gameplay is very smooth and satisfying, and the difficulty is just as i like it. Not too easy but not too frustrating. And the end is just... Wow WTF?

It is a very surprising game, and i recommend it to everyone who just wants to have a hell of a lot of fun :)

Blizzard

Banned
you need high focus and high speed for grabbing your gun. i think
Yeah, and I think high focus gets you not only a small crosshair, but also some slow motion time. I just haven't been able to figure out how to get that high focus yet also be able to see the guy's feet so I could shoot at chickens. =(

If I can get the dodging bullets thing to work next time, I'll see what I can do.

Finally Techland managed to redeem their reputation after Call of Juarez: The Cartel and we received another very good game set in Wild West. Many people mentioned this before, but this title is truly great. Story mode is awesome. I really liked the way they used storytelling to justify gameplay mechanic. It reminds me Prince of Persia Sands of Time. Another thing worth mentioning is arcade mode. After beating the story mode I tried the arcade mode to see, if it is as good as they say. Honestly speaking I am amazed how playable it is. Usually repeating the same level to achieve higher score is not my type of fun, but in COJ Gunslinger I spent 2 hours trying to get all three stars in two levels. I have to say that Gunslinger is one of the best FPS games I played this year. Now I need to beat New Game + to unlock all skills before True West :)

I grabbed it on Steam after reading some of the Reviews, I'm glad I did because I had a bunch of fun with Gunslinger. I hope they release the soundtrack as well.

Loved it, one of the best dl-able shooters out there. I enjoyed the 2nd CoJ, but this game is just as long and gets so many things right and is a quarter of the price. Replaying on the hardest setting now.

Random idea I had: I have friends that (like myself) enjoy Call of Duty, which this game mostly plays similar to. Thinking next time they're over we'll do local high score runs in the arcade mode.

GWX

So, uh... I was replaying the demo the other day (PC version), and it didn't end after the duel with Pat Garrett. Actually, it went on for 5 more chapters! The sixth chapter is where it stopped, with floating "no mesh" texts and no geometry at all, and walking resulted in the "You Are Dead" screen. Game was pretty great until then, but... what a weird bug.

DoomGyver

I finished coj:gunslinger last night. Great game for the money, I liked the story telling and the gunplay was fun.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
True West difficulty does not fuck around. Great fun.

educator

Finished it yesterday, awesome game! I'll start a N+ game on 'Hard' and try a few different set-ups this time and try to find all the hidden secrets, I have about 15 left.

Also, anyone got any tips on getting 3 stars on the first arcade level? I use the dual revolvers with fast reload, but I only get to about combo 33 before I mess up.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So yeah... just went on the story, below average game really, it don't do things bad or anything but it don't do amazing things too, I don't think I'll play Dual or Arcade I just don't really feeling it.

Bound in Blood still the best in the series and the real deal.

I haven't finished the single-player yet, I've been playing quite a bit of the arcade mode. Question, what the hell do you need to do to get more than 1 star in arcade mode? I've gone well under the allotted time on some of the maps, had several 30+ combos and scored well over 100k xp but never more than 1 star :( what am I doing wrong?

rugioh

Banned
has the FoV issue been fixed yet? I've been holding out on that before I buy. Finishing up Vanquish in the meantime...

has the FoV issue been fixed yet? I've been holding out on that before I buy. Finishing up Vanquish in the meantime...

There was a patch that lets you change it in the ini files. Check the Steam Community Hub for the game, cant' really give instruction from my phone.

Blizzard

Banned
So yeah... just went on the story, below average game really, it don't do things bad or anything but it don't do amazing things too, I don't think I'll play Dual or Arcade I just don't really feeling it.

Bound in Blood still the best in the series and the real deal.
Everyone's welcome to an opinion, but I strongly disagree on this. Gunslinger probably has the best storytelling I've played in a game in at least a couple of years.

I would like to get back to Bound in Blood at some point so maybe I'll change my mind, but it sure didn't pull me in like Gunslinger.

Is Vanquish on PC???????

A present for you all (dev menu)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59077113&postcount=124

How to change FOV.
Navigate to install folder
Open "coj4" folder.
Open "Data0.pak" with winrar (or whatever you use)
Inside the archive, nagivate to: "\data\skills\"
Extract: "default_levels.xml" - password is TN2kTjNmBvn5axaS6tGY
Open that file and edit:
<prop n="CameraDefaultFOV" v="XX.X"/>
Save the file and drag it back to the same location in the archive

Blizzard

Banned
Is Vanquish on PC???????
That quote shouldn't be necessary. There was a quick official patch that lets you change the FOV in an INI file unless I'm greatly mistaken.

In fact the developers asked neoenigma to please not share the password to avoid people hacking and screwing up the leaderboards.

That quote shouldn't be necessary. There was a quick official patch that lets you change the FOV in an INI file unless I'm greatly mistaken.

In fact the developers asked neoenigma to please not share the password to avoid people hacking and screwing up the leaderboards.

Good to know - I wasn't aware. That's how I did it and it worked fine.

Liamario

Banned
I can't believe how much fun the game is considering the abomination that was 'Cartel'. I wonder why the retail release of the series was so poor and this is so good.

LiK

I can't believe how much fun the game is considering the abomination that was 'Cartel'. I wonder why the retail release of the series was so poor and this is so good.

I heard Cartel was rushed. But the whole modern gang thing was a bad idea in general.

ironcreed

Banned
Ah, to hell with it. It's just $15.00, so I went ahead and bought it along with RE: Revelations. It seems like too good of a buy at that price and I loved the demo.

So I think most people around here agree that this is great, if not at least pretty damn good, so why are the reviews in general so mediocre for it? Did they just see the Juarez name and decide it can't really be as good as it is?

DukeBobby

So I think most people around here agree that this is great, if not at least pretty damn good, so why are the reviews in general so mediocre for it? Did they just see the Juarez name and decide it can't really be as good as it is?

Many of them seemed to judge it as a $60 title, for some reason. Some even compared it to Red Dead Redemption, just because it's a western. It's pretty ridiculous, especially since Gunslinger was made on a fraction of that game's budget and is not trying to compete with it.

Riposte

Played this for awhile. I don't think it is great, but it is competent. A neat gimmick here and there. I find it a little odd I've seen so many people call it more than just "good". Does the fact it costs 15 dollars have anything to do with it?

EDIT: I'm finding the cowboy speech to be more bothersome than charming. There is a lot of talking in this game.

Played this for awhile. I don't think it is great, but it is competent. A neat gimmick here and there. I find it a little odd I've seen so many people call it more than just "good". Does the fact it costs 15 dollars have anything to do with it?

EDIT: I'm finding the cowboy speech to be more bothersome than charming. There is a lot of talking in this game.

Well, what do you find wrong with it?

It's not trying to be anything more than it is, which is nice to see actually.

antitrop

The story campaign is entertaining and charming and the gameplay is well above average.

On top of the $15, what more do you want?

EDIT: Your edit tells me you probably shouldn't have bothered with this game in the first place.

Andrew.

Banned

The guns sound great and are fun to use (dual sawn offs anyone?), the soundtrack is excellent, the storyline is competent enough and well told, it controls well, it has NG+ and it doesnt outstay its welcome in the SP department.

On top of that, yeah 15 bucks helps but I wouldve paid double the amount or more for this. Second best game Ive experienced this year.

Riposte

Well, what do you find wrong with it?

It's not trying to be anything more than it is, which is nice to see actually.

There isn't much wrong with it. So far it just seems to be a rather unexceptional ADS/health regen/cover heavy FPS with neat ideas that don't quite elevate it. The 2nd Juaraz game, the only one I've played before this, was around this quality too IIRC. The guns, enemies, and, outside a few scripted moments, the level design doesn't really stand out. Oh, one thing I don't like is that there seems to be lot of leveling to do. I guess they have to rope you into doing combos somehow.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Imma big-time Western fan, but never really got on with the Juarez games (except the Historical multiplayer from BiB which was alright). I gave this a try anyway... and freakin' loved it.

Everything feels so good and polished to an absolute sheen! Genuinely great story (reminds me a little bit of Inspector Calls/Rashomon but I haven't finished it yet), excellent art direction (a comic-book Western where real historical figures are, for intents and purposes, superheroes), fantastic duelling, guns feel weighty; it is simply superb in every way. The developers had a lot of confidence in their mechanics and it shows, the game pushes you the further you go. Sure, it isn't breaking boundaries or anything, but what it does do, it does extremely well (and for a damn reasonable price). Pleasantly surprised.

My one (and only) criticism (if you can call it that) is that the duelling challenge doesn't have a multiplayer option.

Also, the absolutely thrilling bullet-dodge mechanic needs to be stolen by DICE and put into Mirror's Edge 2 in some form.

...sorry for the parentheses-heavy post.

Riposte

I feel like bullet dodging is a good idea, but it could be done better. It comes off as a QTE, when I would want it to be faster and more natural.

This is a 7/10 game. Very solid, slick, shooting feels good, but not particularly great. Looks great. Dueling is...whatever. There's 1-2 cool songs. Narration is a bit grating. Feels good to rack up big combos with your gold six-shooters, though.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like bullet dodging is a good idea, but it could be done better. It comes off as a QTE, when I would want it to be faster and more natural.

I actually really like the extra off-beat rhythm it brings to the gunfights. Are you listening, DICE?

This is a 7/10 game. Very solid, slick, shooting feels good, but not particularly great. Looks great. Dueling is...whatever. There's 1-2 cool songs. Narration is a bit grating. Feels good to rack up big combos with your gold six-shooters, though.

What's up with the duelling? Difficult to get to grips with at first, I think it really captures the tension of a showdown once you get the knack. Would be nice to go up against another player, mind.

Andrew.

Banned
Well Ill be damned. "Dances With Renegades" is played during the loading of Chapter 14 in Bound In Blood. I am shocked and super happy.

And Viewtiful, I hope you see through to the end and start up a NG+. Once you have all of your skills the game becomes a true fucking blast.

I just played a bit more of this and have been really enjoying it.

I'll post more detailed impressions once I finish the game (read: my first run), but for now I just wanted to say thanks for recommending this so much!

Moozo

"Smashing the <start> button before the level was loaded was considered dishonorable in the Old West"

One of the loading screen trivias.

Just completed this. Great, great fun. Wonder what the other ending was like.

Chairhome

"Smashing the <start> button before the level was loaded was considered dishonorable in the Old West"

One of the loading screen trivias.

Just completed this. Great, great fun. Wonder what the other ending was like.

I youtubed the other ending.

Anything cool happen when you shoot chickens before shooting your enemy during a duel?

Blizzard

Banned
I youtubed the other ending.

Anything cool happen when you shoot chickens before shooting your enemy during a duel?
You just get an achievement. I still haven't gotten it to work, because I think I was having problems with the slow motion as described earlier. :( I haven't tried recently though.

delume

Loved this game, just finished the campaign last night. After a short go through the arcade mode I can see how compulsive discovering those long combo chains will be. I grabbed this due to the wonky release (or lack of) State of Decay. So glad I didn't miss this and I must say playing a game was a pretty good counter to all the bleakness going on right now.

Riposte

This game has a slight (or more than slight towards the very end) problem with enemy visibility. Makes concentration all the more important I guess.

Top Bottom