• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger |OT| It's your huckleberry

delume

This game has a slight (or more than slight towards the very end) problem with enemy visibility. Makes concentration all the more important I guess.
I agree, slightly more visible muzzle flashes could have helped with this, especially in the woodland areas. Towards the end I was using concentration just to identify enemy location, tap RB... look for red... tap RB... BANGBANGBANG! Great fun!

I played the demo last night and had the same problem. Either everyone is kinda camo with the environment or they are really far away. Really strange.

friday

I love arcade mode. Trying to keep your combo going and rushing through the level is so much fun.

I do have one issue with the PC version. Does anyone else get random freezes that last for a second or two? I dont know it if is some strange frame rate issue or what, but sometimes the game just stops for like 2 seconds and then goes right back to running fine.

Miker

Just finished this tonight, liked the core gunplay a lot, but wasn't too fond of the story. Too many names for my tastes.

I will say though, I would have definitely liked it a lot less if I hadn't used SweetFX to turn down the saturation. The color calibration and the obnoxious effects when you get shof almost squander the goodwill of an otherwise great looking game.

calder

Really fun game so far. I like the presentation (this game has guaranteed I will be watching my Tombstone bluray this weekend) and the humour really works for me. Right at the moment in the sawmill when you start thinking 'damn this place is huge' having the narrator pipe up with "that really was one hell of a sawmill. One impressive operation" killed me.

Such a pleasant surprise to find a CoJ game that's just purely fun, and while it felt dangerously close to going up its own arse when
he starts singing that song for no fucking reason
, it managed to not take itself too seriously.

Moff

blood dragon was funnier.
but gunslinger plays immenesly better, its the far superior game, no doubt.

Gek54

MOAR! I really hope this does well and they continue with it into nextgen. Gunslinger now sits as my current goty, I dont remember having this much fun with an arcade FPS.

desverger

I just completed the story mode today and enjoyed every minute of it. This title caught me by surprise, I wasn't expecting to be pulled in.

I appreciate the fact that the devs concentrated on doing only a handful of features and did them well. The gunplay is stellar, which is important for an FPS title.

I'll try the arcade mode next, but I've already had my money's worth.

creyas

Completed the game in one sitting. Literally. Didn't get up once, stopped playing at 6am. The black borders and FOV didn't bug me one bit. Recommend it without any hesitation, unless you really want to stretch story mode hours for your money. Was the perfect length for me, and no issues with it for the price. Arcade mode is pretty nice too.

Blizzard

Banned
As some people have probably pointed out, if you liked the game on normal difficulty the first time through, definitely give a new game+ replay a try on hard (or even normal again). Having a bunch of skills starting the second time is pretty cool and perahps surprisingly replayable. You can also skip the 2D cutscenes by holding the spacebar.

Andrew.

Banned
Or circle or B =)

New game plus fucking rocks in this. New game plus fucking rocks in everything. I don't even know why this should be questioned or discussed upon.

Blizzard

Banned
What about doing new game + in true west mode? I'm almost done with my first playthrough on normal and considering doing that.
Personally I'd suggest doing it on hard mode instead. That way if you start true west, you'll have like 90% of the skills instead of having only one branch maxed.

dejay

Banned
I was totally going to overlook this game because of the Call of Juarez name but upon hearing some positive stuff about it I checked out the demo and bought it within five minutes of that demo.

I kinda regretted buying it after completing the first level and duel, but fuck me if this game doesn't get better as it goes along. I just lost 4 hours or so of today somewhere.

I love the commentary, the acting, the music and the pacing of the game. I'm found some of the shootouts where I'm stuck at the bottom of a bowl to be over-used and frustrating - running around with impaired vision trying to see dudes high up on rocks isn't that fun.

I agree, slightly more visible muzzle flashes could have helped with this, especially in the woodland areas. Towards the end I was using concentration just to identify enemy location, tap RB... look for red... tap RB... BANGBANGBANG! Great fun!

indeed, i'm not sure if it was intentional by the developers but it works :D

played through on Hard from the start to maximize trophies and people said its not that difficult. Wasn't really, just the last mission with the GAWD DAMN DIGGITY
GHOSTS.
But Silas regenerates health so quickly you just have to play extra careful.

Moozo

indeed, i'm not sure if it was intentional by the developers but it works :D

played through on Hard from the start to maximize trophies and people said its not that difficult. Wasn't really, just the last mission with the GAWD DAMN DIGGITY
GHOSTS.
But Silas regenerates health so quickly you just have to play extra careful.

It does say it on one of the loading screen tips towards the end.

I had to use it all the time on
the ghosts in the graveyard.
Could hardly see a thing

As much as I like this game, I think Blood Dragon is much better. Gunslinger is just a shooting gallery. Dudes pop up and you blast them. Blood Dragon's gameplay is much more open and tactical and has a lot more variety in the ways you can tackle combat.

IISANDERII

Arcade mode is very fun and challenging. I'm trying to get all 3 stars but getting that in the waved based levels is tough!

As much as I like this game, I think Blood Dragon is much better. Gunslinger is just a shooting gallery. Dudes pop up and you blast them. Blood Dragon's gameplay is much more open and tactical and has a lot more variety in the ways you can tackle combat.

BD doesn't diverse itself after a few missions though. I agree on the alluring factor on combat strategy in BD. But what hurt BD was the open world. Game needed a more straight forward approach in my opinion. I got bored of the game after a few missions. BD is a game I can't play for more then an hour.

GS is not hiding for what is truly is, a arcade shooter. And a damn good one at that. True West mode makes the game way more enticing on a your second play-through, it might as well be a different game. The narrative on a second listen on TW is way more engrossing due to the intensity of the combat that fits the pallet of the story being told. Majority of developers don't know how to implement difficulty levels in their games. Giving more health is not the way to go. Techland handle it very well by evening out the health with the NPC. With the unlocks, no huds and using cover wisely. The game doesn't "feel" like an arcade shooter anymore.

I'm looking at GS as a whole compared to BD, not mechanics. GS has a better narrative, story and replay value compared to BD.

Blizzard

Banned
New patch, featuring patch notes on Steam again (yay!):

Call of Juarez Gunslinger Update 1.02

Changes:
- Quick access to users' profiles is now possible directly from any leaderboard menu
- New game option allows to "de-pimp" legendary weapons' in order to use standard (regular) skins
- Extra directional arrows are now displayed next to action keys during Quick Time Events sequences when played on mouse/keyboard
- Slightly balanced Ranger's possibilities of building score in Arcade mode
- Availability of the hit indicator in True West difficulty mode now depends on "crosshair" setting in the game's options
- Changing game's difficulty during the first mission doesn't affect granting achievements after completing the playthrough on different difficulties - it now counts from the second mission on
- New settings available in video.scr file
- Additional characters in Japanese font allow for better displaying users' nicks on leaderboards

Fixes:
- Fixed potential gameplay block on the mission "Bounty Hunter Is Still My Name"
- Fixed several inconsistencies of the Ranger, Rifle and Sawed-off Rifle animations
- Corrected Ranger's Fast Aim bonus in Arcade Mode
- Fixed problem of restoring the video settings to default values on each launch of the game
- Fixed potential crash on re-launching the game after setting shadows quality to a value unobtainable on given configuration
- Fixed crash when using -safemode command line switch to reset video settings to default values
- Fixed some problems with audio playback, potentially leading to audio blackouts etc.
- Fixed mapping of audio channels on 4.0 quadrophonic output configurations
- Fixed potential crash after using Steam overlay in the leaderboards menu
- Workaround for apparent blocks when game is sent to background during loading
- Fixed some rare scenarios of losing game's window after sending it to background
- Workaround for problems when booting the game on systems that have problems with video playback. Please follow instructions from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/download-windows-media-player in case of such problems.
- Minor tweaks and fixes in all localizations.
I don't know what new video settings are in video.scr but some people might be interested.

Sushigod7

I just finished the Story mode blew through it yesterday afternoon and today. Was having so much fun with it didn't want to stop. The Arcade mode is pretty addicting I played that first stage about 10 times and it still never gets old just trying to beat your scores switching up between classes for certain missions etc adds a surprising amount of depth. Great game for $15 I can't believe the pricing on it.

NIN90

Something that popped into my head:
So when Silas tells about these famous people, some of them are voiced by himself while others have their own voice actors. Like Billy The Kid (where Silas' story is pretty much confirmed to be bullshit) is always voiced by Silas himself. Is this a clue to who he actually met and who not? Would make sense.

Something that popped into my head:
So when Silas tells about these famous people, some of them are voiced by himself while others have their own voice actors. Like Billy The Kid (where Silas' story is pretty much confirmed to be bullshit) is always voiced by Silas himself. Is this a clue to who he actually met and who not? Would make sense.

At the spoiler....Nice theory, didn't think about that. I should keep track of that on my new+ play-through. Going to go back to it once I beat TLOU.

Sushigod7

Playing all the arcade modes trying to get 3 stars is no joke, finally strung together a 55 combo run wow pretty awesome feeling. I'm enjoying this game a lot going to start a new game + on true west maybe this weekend.

IISANDERII

Playing all the arcade modes trying to get 3 stars is no joke, finally strung together a 55 combo run wow pretty awesome feeling. I'm enjoying this game a lot going to start a new game + on true west maybe this weekend.
Once you unlock all the abilities it becomes pretty easy to 3 star all the levels but one: The last one. Guadalupe Ambush or whatever took me a while. Needed a 77 combo chain to do it.

Now all I need to do is find all the secret hats and I'll have my first platinum trophy!

Sushigod7

Once you unlock all the abilities it becomes pretty easy to 3 star all the levels but one: The last one. Guadalupe Ambush or whatever took me a while. Needed a 77 combo chain to do it.

Now all I need to do is find all the secret hats and I'll have my first platinum trophy!

That's good to know since each mission has load-outs that seem to work best I'm just playing around unlocking till I get everything then. The sound effects are so satisfying! Love unloading my rifle then a quick switch to the pistol and firing off a few rounds to finish a area soooooo good.

IISANDERII

Tony-Farmer-Courtroom-Collapse.gif

Just found out that there is no platinum trophy for this
i knew it was too good to be true

Blizzard

Banned
This is rather an odd connection, but I saw Lone Ranger this week (too long, and a bit disjointed, but still enjoyable in a Pirates of the Caribbean sense). The music, cowboys, shooting, and narration made me want to play Gunslinger again. The narration style in particular actually reminded me of Gunslinger, since there is a narrator in the movie who occasionally stops the action to comment on something.

Sushigod7

This is rather an odd connection, but I saw Lone Ranger this week (too long, and a bit disjointed, but still enjoyable in a Pirates of the Caribbean sense). The music, cowboys, shooting, and narration made me want to play Gunslinger again. The narration style in particular actually reminded me of Gunslinger, since there is a narrator in the movie who occasionally stops the action to comment on something.

I was curious about the movie just because we don't get any big western style movies much anymore sad to hear how badly it's been received. I'll check it out anyway to make my own judgement but that is interesting they have a narrator like Gunslinger. I haven't played much this week but I have to say getting 3 stars in arcade is so addictive. It's that one more game mentality. I was playing through the town leading up to the saloon shootout and just couldn't get a combo going with my rifle load out. So I said hell with it going 10 gauge and pistol I tore it up kept my combo up all the way to the end ended somewhere around 50 before I lost it. I love that about this game such a surprise it worked.

Jinaar

Bastion meets FPS. Picked this up on the Steam Sale, finished it, finished DUELING MODE, will finish ARCADE Mode shortly. Great game. Hats off to the art team on this game, beautifully done. Voice acting was strong. Gameplay was magnificent.

Fabulous PC game to get.

Andrew.

Banned
Bastion meets FPS. Picked this up on the Steam Sale, finished it, finished DUELING MODE, will finish ARCADE Mode shortly. Great game. Hats off to the art team on this game, beautifully done. Voice acting was strong. Gameplay was magnificent.

Fabulous PC game to get.

This game is in no way similar to Bastion, except maybe for some slight music similarites.

wtf

Double D

Grabbed this on sale and beat it over the weekend and got through quite a bit of the arcade mode. Can't figure out how get more than 1 star though.

Overall it's really fun and I enjoyed the campaign quite a bit. Nice way to tell a story without a shit-ton of cutscenes and handled the in-game narration wonderfully. The gunplay felt great as well.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Grabbed this on sale and beat it over the weekend and got through quite a bit of the arcade mode. Can't figure out how get more than 1 star though.

Overall it's really fun and I enjoyed the campaign quite a bit. Nice way to tell a story without a shit-ton of cutscenes and handled the in-game narration wonderfully. The gunplay felt great as well.

Arcade is all about the combo kills. You can unlock cool perks for each class (much like the main game) to help you get even higher combos.

Jinaar

Ya the comment was on the narration for the similarities to Bastion :) sorry I should have brought more attention to that detail.

There was a point in the swamp level where I went into a dead end and Silas had a comment saying how lost one can get in a swamp as most ways lead to dead ends. Very much like Bastion to have a narrator being self aware of what you as a character are doing in game.

Sushigod7

You pretty much have to string together most of or all of a level in combo to get a high enough score. Once you get the hang of a level and where enemies are it's easier to do. You have to run like hell stop pop a few guys then run to the next section before you combo times out. Also you need to use the environment sometimes to keep the combo alive too. Lamps, barrels etc. Once you unlock perks it gets easier to get things rolling. Switch things up between load outs too sometimes you think a shotgun load out would never work because of the area then you use it and steamroll the level.

Top Bottom