• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Xbox make a comeback as a brand?

XXL

I don't shit lol I just play
Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Last edited:
I think the chance is next to 0 as a console. That may have some a very small chance as a brand if they can ever make gamepass truly appealing or with cloud gaming but with the direction they're going, I just can't get there.

I feel like they haven't fully established their identity the way Sony or Nintendo have. They've always struck me as a "me too" company. Until they can do that, I doubt that they will ever make a comeback.

bundylove

Build up a bunch of first party titles for nexr year.
Make them console exclusive for a year.
Release a new console end of next year that is way more powerfull as the ps5 pro for same price and they might be back.

Sony gave them a big opening with the 700 price tag for the pro.

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
Nintendo came from selling 14 million to the best selling console ever (soon) in just one generation… Microsoft is already the biggest gaming publisher in the market and have more resources than any gaming brand… Is matter of time for the Xbox to skyrocket as a brand, they just need to figure out how, like Nintendo.
Nintendo didn't need to figure anything out. They already were leaders by a wide margin before. Both home console gens and portable.
MS did just ok with the 360 against an arrogant Sony (expensive PS3) and a careless Nintendo (Wii = Gamecube 1.5)

XXL

Anyone who has been lurking around here for a while knows GAF has a serious hate boner for anything MS related. Even if in reality, the answer was "yes, then can make a comeback" the answer will always be no on GAF.
Most places that discuss games have more PlayStation owners than Xbox owners.

It isn't a conspiracy, it's a consequence of Xbox consistently being outsold by Playstation.

You'll pretty much have the same situation anywhere.

Klayzer

It isn't a conspiracy, it's a consequence of Xbox consistently being outsold by Playstation.

It gets tiresome, hearing how everyone hates Xbox from their fanbase. The hardcore ire should be aimed at one target only, Xbox management.

wolffy66

It's probably important to remember that every year there's a bunch of new customers becoming old enough to play. Capture them and there's always a chance to grow long-term. Exclusives, as always, seem to be the way to do that.

Nintendo didn't need to figure anything out. They already were leaders by a wide margin before. Both home console gens and portable.
MS did just ok with the 360 against an arrogant Sony (expensive PS3) and a careless Nintendo (Wii = Gamecube 1.5)
It seemed like they were leading from behind though. Most developers still placed their best AAA games on the HD twins rather than on Wii. Still a thing today.

Wake me up when I see GTA 6 being a Nintendo exclusive. (pffft not happening in a million years)

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
The problem with an Xbox come back is the series s is still $300, the series x still $400 especially when you consider it’s been out five years now, Xbox, 360 and one year 5 had price cuts.

More PlayStation users isn’t the problem and not what the user you quoted was talking about. The mentality of those users is the problem.

Anyway, yes, Xbox could, but they would lose too much money doing so. There are easy steps they could take, like making CoD and their other games exclusive, or undercutting Sony on price, but the days of MS letting them use the war chest seem to be over. Now it is all about as much revenue as possible.

XXL

More PlayStation users isn’t the problem and not what the user you quoted was talking about. The mentality of those users is the problem.
Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I completely disagree.

I think Xbox fans have a serious persecution complex and blame everyone but the brand they support for their problems....like both of you are doing now.

I own all the different platforms and discuss all things, but Xbox fans are unique in this regard, imo.

Acting like you're not allow to discuss it here. Lol.

Klayzer

I completely disagree.

I think Xbox fans have a serious persecution complex and blame everyone but the brand they support for their problems....like both of you are doing now.

I own all the different platforms and discuss all things, but Xbox fans are unique in this regard, imo.

eqoPWn9.gif

• Fire
Reactions: XXL
I feel they are focused on individual games and growing them to bigger titles.

Xbox as a brand is what it is. People identify it with gaming, thats all is its purpose.

They also have slightly different idea of how to make console business work, so whatever one gets out of Sony / Nintendo, it won’t be possible on xbox.

I think people identify Series systems as solid, is what their goal is. Eventually having cornered a market instead of mass market product.

Klayzer

I completely disagree.

Who knew Playstation fans had this type of power.

I completely disagree.

Another post missing the point. Xbox and their problems are irrelevant to this. There’s no point in discussing it further though.

Klayzer

Another post missing the point. Xbox and their problems are irrelevant to this. There’s no point in discussing it further though.
Everyone should be silent and look the other way, while Microsoft trys to buy up the industry and fails.

Sorry if that upsets you, but discussion and ridicule is part of it. They're safe spaces for you on the net, fortunately this is not one.

Funny, nobody is trying to muzzle you, or your takes when Sony is in the negative spotlight.

Everyone should be silent and look the other way, while Microsoft trys to buy up the industry and fails.

Sorry if that upsets you, but discussion and ridicule is part of it. They're safe spaces for you on the net, fortunately this is not one.

Funny, nobody is trying to muzzle you, or your takes when Sony is in the negative spotlight.

Upset 😆

Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

XXL

There’s no point in discussing it further though.
Sassy Told You GIF by EsZ  Giphy World

You're doing it again. Lol.

Feel free to explain yourself, maybe I'm just misunderstanding.

What is the mentality that leads to not being able to discuss it here?

This is one of the best places to discuss this...the moderators here are extremely hands off and allow us to discuss many things (within reason).

It's not like this is off topic or anything.

Alot of people recognize this mentality (that I'm talking about) is part of the problem with the Xbox brand.

Klayzer

Sassy Told You GIF by EsZ  Giphy World

You're doing it again. Lol.

Feel free to explain yourself, maybe I'm just misunderstanding.

What is the mentality that leads to not being able to discuss it here?

This is one of the best places to discuss this...the moderators here are extremely hands off and allow us to discuss many things (within reason).

It's not like this is off topic or anything.

Alot of people recognize this mentality (that I'm talking about) is part of the problem with the Xbox brand.
He's seemingly incapable of discussing anything critical of Xbox, without some passive-aggressive/thinly veiled shot at the group that has nothing to do with Microsoft's decisions.

Nintendo came from selling 14 million to the best selling console ever (soon) in just one generation… Microsoft is already the biggest gaming publisher in the market and have more resources than any gaming brand… Is matter of time for the Xbox to skyrocket as a brand, they just need to figure out how, like Nintendo.
Wizard Of Oz GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Found footage of you while you were posting this.

I completely disagree.

Pray Happy Sunday GIF

• Fire
Reactions: XXL
I hope not.
I deal very often with Microsoft for my company as a provider, and along with broadcom they are some of the most arrogant assholes around the world, using their size and monopoly to impose their products.

So out of my living room please. They are real cancer and a company I learned to despise. What they touch generally becomes tainted.

mrqs

Things look bad. But my feeling is that they'll get worse in the next 5 years.

Probably Microsoft will dump the whole idea of a console after the next one fails. Streaming still isn't as strong as it needs to be, and they can get content from third party for that.

I say we will see massive Xbox layoffs, studio closures and reshuffles in the next 5 years. They have no healthy road ahead, only chaos.

Klayzer

Things look bad. But my feeling is that they'll get worse in the next 5 years.

Probably Microsoft will dump the whole idea of a console after the next one fails. Streaming still isn't as strong as it needs to be, and they can get content from third party for that.

I say we will see massive Xbox layoffs, studio closures and reshuffles in the next 5 years. They have no healthy road ahead, only chaos.
Chaos is a ladder...

I will see myself out now.

Top Bottom