• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Xbox make a comeback as a brand?

Sorcerer

Microsoft has a "loser mentality" by putting games on Sony and Nintendo platforms while they are still trying to sell you new variations of their hardware this holiday season. Plus, if you are a PC gamer, you don't need any of their hardware either.
It's just a confusing mess. As a consumer I have no idea where there headed, and I think Phil and Company are clueless as well
How can one be confident in Xbox anymore? It's make's one's head spin. If you like some of their games find a way to play them outside their specific hardware. Don't get involved in the eco-system.

Last edited:
Agreed. I think msft clearly knows where this industry is headed. If you control a ton of IPs and expand into other ecosystems eventually you will dominate.
Ah yes MS knew all along and this is their real plan to dominate the gaming industry. I've seen this theory thrown around before it's hilarious how people can turn anything MS does into some sort of win.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
Release next gen a year early like the Xbox 360 and I think they are in a great position.

Nonehxc

They can make a come out of the back as an All-Brand.

People: ' Muesli, MS? Are u cereal?' 😤🥣

MS: ' Well, we've been giving you good shit from the start, so why not continue giving you good shit?' 🙏🏻😐

People: 'Your deranged logic is impeccable.' 😐🤌🏻🤌🏻🤌🏻

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've felt since the decline started with Xbox One that as long as Xbox presents itself with Microsoft corporate branding and Microsoft Gaming is run by a Microsoft lifer that it's never going to recover the image it had during the 360 days. Microsoft is just not a brand that comes to mind when people think of fun and all you see when you see Xbox is Microsoft's stale corporate software company image.

Phil hiring Sarah Bond and making her head of Xbox hardware and ecosystem was a mistake because she's just not relatable to gamers. She's probably a very competent executive, but nothing that's come out of Xbox since she took over has been compelling. Adding sparkles to a Series X console? What even is that? I can't comment on Booty's role other than he just can't seem to get games out the door. He probably needs to go, too.

Microsoft Gaming and Xbox are going to need different leadership and a new image before Xbox can take off again. The Microsoft brand just overshadows and strangles anything cool about the Xbox brand.

NickFire

I think MS has the resources to take a lot of hardware market share, but I’m very skeptical that they will be willing to take the financial hits probably needed to get there. I also think they have the ability to really expand their gaming software revenue and profits. But they still seem hamstrung by the hope of expanding hardware. No other way for me to explain why Starfield isn’t making bank on preorders right now,

I think MS has the resources to take a lot of hardware market share, but I’m very skeptical that they will be willing to take the financial hits probably needed to get there. I also think they have the ability to really expand their gaming software revenue and profits. But they still seem hamstrung by the hope of expanding hardware. No other way for me to explain why Starfield isn’t making bank on preorders right now,

I think MS was hoping Shattered Space was going to really fix the Starfield issues. That or they wanted to finish shattered space before they started working on the port.

Killer8

The narrative, pushed by Phil of all people, is that there isn't a world where Xbox can compete with a strong portfolio of exclusive games. I think it's a ridiculous notion that assumes they've even had a strong portfolio to judge the effectiveness of that strategy. The answer is that they haven't.

A lot of the studios they've bought up have produced dogshit and they've mismanaged the tent pole franchises like Halo and Forza Motorsport. There was a time a few years ago, before we had a better idea of what their studios were cooking, where it seemed like Xbox might become this unstoppable juggernaut. At least on paper (and the Klobrille produced PR graphics). It's just amazing how badly MS squandered their potential.

If Microsoft were actually releasing banger after 90+ MetaCritic banger, I think it would be a very different story this generation.

Ah yes MS knew all along and this is their real plan to dominate the gaming industry. I've seen this theory thrown around before it's hilarious how people can turn anything MS does into some sort of win.
I am stating this because of the IPs/franchises that they have acquired. They know other pubs cant keep up. Notice Tim from epic statement regarding the industry, most games sold are franchises and even coceo of Sony on lack of ips( Pokémon/fortnite/lol/cod/minecraft/roblox ect) level.

I am stating this because of the IPs/franchises that they have acquired. They know other pubs cant keep up. Notice Tim from epic statement regarding the industry, most games sold are franchises and even coceo of Sony on lack of ips( Pokémon/fortnite/lol/cod/minecraft/roblox ect) level.

CEOs say all kinds of stuff they aren't infallible. Look at what's happening to Ubisoft right now their CEO clearly doesn't know what he's doing. MS predicted they would have 100 million subs in GP I think we all know that not only wont happen in 6 years it will never happen.

Look at how many IPs/franchise Embracer has and they are still struggling. Having a ton of IPs/Franchises is great but it doesn't mean anything if you can't put out games that people care about. If all it took to run the game industry is IPs/franchises that's what all the big companies would be chasing. The most important thing though is the store. Nintendo, PS, Steam are all considered at the peak of the industry and what do they all have in common? Are very popular store that every single game publisher in the world relies on to sell their product.

The only thing happening with MS right now is them pivoting from a strategy that didn't work to a strategy that isn't what they ultimately wanted but will at least keep them from losing massive amounts of money. We have emails from the CEO of MS in 2020 asking Phil Spencer about console sales and being concerned about getting to far behind. Are you telling me 4 years later MS doesn't care about that anymore and has suddenly found the secret to dominating the games industry? I doubt it.

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
2001. Xbox (The Inception) did ok in a gen dominated by the godly and omnipotent PS2. Being first MS console hardware, not bad. Similar sales as Gamecube IIRC. Nice first entry, and kiiiinda soooort of gaining interest in European market. My experience with it is good, powerful and versatile system. Nowadays is also one of the most recommend consoles on the retro homebrew and emulators scene.

2005. Xbox 360. Their top console. Did very well because it was a weird gen with an extremely arrogant Sony releasing an expensive and complex PS3 hardware, many developers preferred to work on 360. Also first gen with whacky Nintendo doing whatever they wanted (still the Wii sold like recently baked bread). X360 still has lots of exclusive games. I like it as much as my PS3.

2013. Xbox One incident. Not much to talk about. I remember some friends buying One, One S and One X. They all enjoyed their consoles. Problem is Ps4 was like Ps2 back in 2001. Not much to do here.
*There was the Wii U incident here too, but rapidly corrected by the Nintendo masterminds with the Switch. See MS? This is a comeback.

2020. Xbox Series S-X Can we talk about the "SERIES S Incident" here?

So, if we're talking about a comeback, it's gonna depend a lot on: a failed Ps6 and Nintendo doing a Wii-like console (a trending fad, explosive start and rapidly dying)

djjinx2

Nah, I don't think their plan was to go third party. Nutella and Hood are putting pressure on the Xbox team to start making money. With hardware sales collapsing and software sales down because their remaining audience has been conditioned to not buy anything, it's like, what do you do besides porting your games to ecosystems where people actually buy shit?

Microsoft clearly couldn't give less of a shit about hardware when Game Pass isn't growing, and growth stalled months ago.
So many bullshit posts like this.
Xbox players don't buy games so they go 3rd party 😂

If any Xbox player has GamePass and buys a couple games a year I'm sure MS will be happy.

I sure as shit know as much about their "plan", but neither does anyone else. And to just keep saying Xbox owners don't buy games is pure tales from your ass.

I play Xbox. I buy games. I buy DLC.

Hell Xbox got me with Forza Motorsport Upgrade. CoD upgrade too.

I'm not even a fanboy. Just an average gamer. My son just bought £100 FIFA 25. My mates and their kids all bought Cod, Siege , FIFA etc etc.

Like a slow growing Hive mind things get regurgitated over and over which no one can bring receipts for

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: m14

djjinx2

It seems like they’ve given up - gaming on PCs is getting bigger two. Just sell windows and Office.
It is a strange one, they don't advertise for years now.

Maybe they do see PC as the future of gaming for MS. But then GamePass is cheaper and paid online not required so I just can't see how it benefits them leaving the console space. Surely they can't have put so much into GamePass to just bin it

djjinx2

Microsoft has a "loser mentality" by putting games on Sony and Nintendo platforms while they are still trying to sell you new variations of their hardware this holiday season. Plus, if you are a PC gamer, you don't need any of their hardware either.
It's just a confusing mess. As a consumer I have no idea where there headed, and I think Phil and Company are clueless as well
How can one be confident in Xbox anymore? It's make's one's head spin. If you like some of their games find a way to play them outside their specific hardware. Don't get involved in the eco-system.
Sony put games on PC and Switch bro, do they have a loser mentality?

(Not a SonyToo, more that the market has changed, shrunk even so other revenue streams are needed for growth)

A confusing mess it is though. Their messaging with bringing a few games to PS has been horrible. A clear strategy is needed and the consumer needs to know. If they are going 3rd party with gamepass timed exclusivity I may still stick with them next gen.

Last edited:

Kacho

So many bullshit posts like this.
Xbox players don't buy games so they go 3rd party 😂

If any Xbox player has GamePass and buys a couple games a year I'm sure MS will be happy.

I sure as shit know as much about their "plan", but neither does anyone else. And to just keep saying Xbox owners don't buy games is pure tales from your ass.

I play Xbox. I buy games. I buy DLC.

Hell Xbox got me with Forza Motorsport Upgrade. CoD upgrade too.

I'm not even a fanboy. Just an average gamer. My son just bought £100 FIFA 25. My mates and his kids all bought Cod, Siege , FIFA etc etc.

Like a slow growing Hive mind things get regurgitated over and over which no one can bring receipts for
Every bit of sales data we have shows the percentage of people buying software on the platform is miniscule compared to the rest. Phil Spencer has to make special trips to Japan and pay publishers to support their platform. Not to mention all the random games that skip Xbox. All evidence points to an ecosystem where users don't purchase software.

Anecdotally, this entire generation for Xbox fans can be summed up with one simple gif:
gamepass-ultimate.gif

"Meh, I'll wait for X game to hit Game Pass. What a tremendous value." <--- and if it doesn't hit Game Pass, I'm sure they'll Game Fly the game instead. Super healthy fanbase.

Last edited:
CEOs say all kinds of stuff they aren't infallible. Look at what's happening to Ubisoft right now their CEO clearly doesn't know what he's doing. MS predicted they would have 100 million subs in GP I think we all know that not only wont happen in 6 years it will never happen.

Look at how many IPs/franchise Embracer has and they are still struggling. Having a ton of IPs/Franchises is great but it doesn't mean anything if you can't put out games that people care about. If all it took to run the game industry is IPs/franchises that's what all the big companies would be chasing. The most important thing though is the store. Nintendo, PS, Steam are all considered at the peak of the industry and what do they all have in common? Are very popular store that every single game publisher in the world relies on to sell their product.

The only thing happening with MS right now is them pivoting from a strategy that didn't work to a strategy that isn't what they ultimately wanted but will at least keep them from losing massive amounts of money. We have emails from the CEO of MS in 2020 asking Phil Spencer about console sales and being concerned about getting to far behind. Are you telling me 4 years later MS doesn't care about that anymore and has suddenly found the secret to dominating the games industry? I doubt it.
Never listen to CEO’s read between the lines ( Phil on Nintendo & helldivers 2) was pure business trolling the general public does not understand. We went from exotic hardware to x86; all consoles need bc due to ecosystems. The problem with this is exclusivity will eventually die unless competitors make games like Nintendo( FTC judge to Sony if Nintendo can do it why not you). Ubi ceo literally said msft was not a competitor look where they are now. Msft may have changed strategy but when Phil joined the board after Acti-bliz the writing is on the wall as to their goal. The fun is figuring out what happens next; as Sony needs some hit gaas titles or get buried in its own ecosystem while msft needs to sell consoles for gamepass. Take a good look at the top selling games for all platforms and mau titles. Notice how many games got a graphic improvement aka those are your top sellers on ps6/nextbox.

Without gamepass I would of said possibly. Now I am not so sure.

I don't know, i'd rather own games than rent them.
Also Microsoft loses points for stopping their backwards compat program.
When I didn't have a xb1 or xbsx people were talking up their backwards compatibility.
I finally got a xbox (series x) last Xmas, and so many games are delisted or not for sale, or not compatible. Even their own games. Especially OG xbox games. Being someone who never had an xbox, and someone who has a broken ps3, this was annoying.

They have an opportunity now to capitalize on the market spot that has opened up. Non woke games, bro games, games that they used to promote. Stuff like Dead or Alive, western rpgs, etc..
They won't though. As much as I know Sony has fallen in a woke rut. Xbox is even worse. With their "No curves" initiative and their ugly ass fable main protagonist, grrrr.

Gamepass doesn't help either as the die hards don't buy games. I tried it for the free month and frankly I don't have time for all that and things go away. At least on ps+ those 3 games a month for standard online membership (not even talking about the top two tiers) you keep the games as long as you have membership. Shit I started ps+ when it started. I have games from over 14 years ago in my library from ps+

Honestly none of these companies are doing great with game preservation. Nintendo, ironically is the least woke. Microsoft can't seem to make good games anymore, even after buying up the competition.

Also I find it strange that this placed was littered with 1000s of pro gamepass shills to the point it got annoying last year. Where did they all go? lol

Never listen to CEO’s read between the lines ( Phil on Nintendo & helldivers 2) was pure business trolling the general public does not understand. We went from exotic hardware to x86; all consoles need bc due to ecosystems. The problem with this is exclusivity will eventually die unless competitors make games like Nintendo( FTC judge to Sony if Nintendo can do it why not you). Ubi ceo literally said msft was not a competitor look where they are now. Msft may have changed strategy but when Phil joined the board after Acti-bliz the writing is on the wall as to their goal. The fun is figuring out what happens next; as Sony needs some hit gaas titles or get buried in its own ecosystem while msft needs to sell consoles for gamepass. Take a good look at the top selling games for all platforms and mau titles. Notice how many games got a graphic improvement aka those are your top sellers on ps6/nextbox.

Never listen to CEOs but you directly quoted CEOs?

Sure I do believe the writing was on the wall as to their goal because things changed from the moment the acquisition started to when it finished. They went from beating Sony in hardware sales to sales cratering in the EU and while we didn't know it at the time their Xbox revenue dropping YOY which I'm sure they were seeing on their end already.

Sony has issues it needs to work on but it's much more manageable. Spiderman 1 took far less money to make so at best Sony just has to cut down on the realism in their games and call it a day.

SHA

Sony is not your friend, they tease you with new exclusives but that's it, sequels aren't their thing unless it breaks their target number, that's why they keep trying new things until they run out of ideas cause they are doing it for the money first, you don't see that with 3rd party games, if you care about collecting more games naturally you will care less about exclusives, that's what you see when you spend on the Xbox eco system.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Sony is not your friend, they tease you with new exclusives but that's it, sequels aren't their thing unless it breaks their target number, that's why they keep trying new things until they run out of ideas cause they are doing it for the money first, you don't see that with 3rd party games, if you care about collecting more games naturally you will care less about exclusives, that's what you see when you spend on the Xbox eco system.
So, to the question of the thread.....

Can Xbox make a comeback?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Never listen to CEOs but you directly quoted CEOs?

Sure I do believe the writing was on the wall as to their goal because things changed from the moment the acquisition started to when it finished. They went from beating Sony in hardware sales to sales cratering in the EU and while we didn't know it at the time their Xbox revenue dropping YOY which I'm sure they were seeing on their end already.

Sony has issues it needs to work on but it's much more manageable. Spiderman 1 took far less money to make so at best Sony just has to cut down on the realism in their games and call it a day.
In fairness, Spider-Man is the one property they manage that calls for bigger budgets/higher production values, but I agree with your sentiment. At this point, they just need to get their release schedule in check, go a little easier on the pricing of their products, and stick to what works.

Last edited:

Brigandier

Yes absolutely, they need better leadership.

The guys that were in charge like Peter Moore in the 360 era they need people like him that listen to the market and it's fans both old and new.

Current Xbox management is hilariously bad.

Why did the shareholders allow the Activision merger to begin with?

Unless going third party was the (or a) plan all along.
Activision Blizzard shareholders voted overwhelmingly in favor of the acquisition. The offer was at a premium of over 30% above the share price it was trading at during that time. I would have took the money and ran too lol

Jimmy_liv

It's a shame, but unless they focus on games and not services, no. They hold so many franchises big and small but don't do anything with them. They didn't need these acquisitions. They needed to put the money into making games.
This.

Software sells.

Have a gen where they make exclusive AAA from the countless IPs they own and people would buy.

But they wont. They will try to fix a software issue with hardware and attempt to brute force results - it's the Microsoft way.

Top Bottom