• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Firestorm said:
Minoru Arakawa first settled in Vancouver with his wife, the daughter of Hiroshi Yamauchi. I think he was in real estate or construction. In a visit back to Japan Yamauchi convinced him to join Nintendo and expand to the west. When they set up Nintendo of America and brought in the NES, they decided to move to New York. I forgot why aside from market research. The story is in Game Over: Press Start to Continue by David Scheff.

Nintendo of Canada was in Richmond, BC but it's now in Vancouver, BC. Moved sometime over the last year and is now near Gilmore Station iirc.

Hey Firestorm, that must be what I remember reading, I was so proud lol.

MPW

Ulchie said:
LOL ya I was about to purchase a used one but I decided to wait due to the issues with the screen. Boy am I ever glad. Now I just have to wait for a redesign to come out.

longer battery life + slicker design ftw!

Ulchie

Banned
MPW said:
longer battery life + slicker design ftw!
Ya I think the analog stick and the unit design could use some work. Self scratching devices aren't exactly something I'm interested in. That and ya, the battery is pretty lackluster at this point.

Ruh-roh!

I just got this email from amazon.ca:

amazon.ca said:
Hello from Amazon.ca.

We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on July 20 2011 (Order #
Um deleted
):

"Catherine "Love Is Over" Deluxe Edition"
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004YVC1CG/

Still want it? We'll keep on trying. You'll still be able to cancel at any time before we ship it. If you want to cancel the item now, please click the link below:

Should I be worried? I preordered late (as you can see by the date) Anyone else order from amazon?

radiantdreamer said:
Should I be worried? I preordered late (as you can see by the date) Anyone else order from amazon?
Yeah I got the same email. But then again I also got that email a week or two before the game was supposed to come out. Also the scheduled ship date was 29th for me, but now its not showing anything. Either way I am never ordering games from amazon.ca again.

Lostconfused said:
Yeah I got the same email. But then again I also got that email a week or two before the game was supposed to come out. Also the scheduled ship date was 29th for me, but now its not showing anything. Either way I am never ordering games from amazon.ca again.

I've never really had problems with them until now though. I wouldn't be as concerned if this wasn't in such limited quantities.

If you preordered weeks before I did, and even you haven't gotten your copy, then I'm assuming that the order is still on. Did you end up canceling?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I ordered that title as soon as it was announced, I cancelled, no dice.

radiantdreamer said:
If you preordered weeks before I did, and even you haven't gotten your copy, then I'm assuming that the order is still on. Did you end up canceling?
Not yet. Some one in the Catherine thread mentioned that they didn't even ship out regular editions. I'll keep the order for now. It really depends on if I want to look around EB locations for a deluxe edition.

Lostconfused said:
Not yet. Some one in the Catherine thread mentioned that they didn't even ship out regular editions. I'll keep the order for now. It really depends on if I want to look around EB locations for a deluxe edition.

If anyone is interested in the 360 deluxe edition, I saw one at EB Pacific Center yesterday.

Fou-Lu

Not really gaming related, (except for online gaming) but I've heard Telus and Shaw have student plans for internet. How do you get access to those plans? I don't have a student card yet, although my room mate does, but he's not of age until December can he even get internet?

A response I got from amazon.ca

amazon.ca said:
Hello from Amazon.ca.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I see that the"Catherine "Love Is Over" Deluxe Edition " has been proven to be a very popular item and has become a surprise sellout.

When you placed your order, we believed we had access to more copies. However, all of our suppliers have rapidly sold out of this item.

We have many customer orders for this item and we're waiting for more copies from our suppliers. We are filling orders as quickly as we can on a first-come, first-served basis.

Major distributors have thousands of copies on order from the publisher, awaiting the next print run. As soon as more copies become available, we'll be able to fulfill outstanding orders.

Meanwhile, I can assure you that we are working hard to obtain this item for you and we will ship it as soon as we are able to obtain it. This means that we will ship the item as soon as we receive it from our suppliers even if the estimated ship date has still not arrived.

In light of this uncertainty, we will understand if you would prefer to cancel your order. As of yet we have made no changes.

krae_man

Takao said:
So a while back I ordered some things off of Play-Asia at a total around $50 (pre-shipping). What are the chances I get dinged for Customs? How much would it (probably) cost in Ontario?

Anything over $20 will have customs charges. $5 handling + 13% sales tax. Sometimes packages sneak through with no bill, however I've bought stuff off Play-Asia 3 times and all 3 times have had a customs bill.

Hanzou

krae_man said:
Anything over $20 will have customs charges. $5 handling + 13% sales tax. Sometimes packages sneak through with no bill, however I've bought stuff off Play-Asia 3 times and all 3 times have had a customs bill.

I really think it is a crap shoot. i bought some stuff from play asia a few years ago and did not get charged.

krae_man

Hanzou said:
I really think it is a crap shoot. i bought some stuff from play asia a few years ago and did not get charged.

I agree. However, Play-Asia never does the "Mark as gift" or "declares the item has a value of less then $20" thing. They always fill it out legit which increases your chances of getting dinged.

Takao

Banned
If the mail dude comes to my house and dings me for custom charges, can I pay him with cash? I had to get my mom to use her credit card to buy me that stuff off of PA, lol.

Achtius

Takao said:
If the mail dude comes to my house and dings me for custom charges, can I pay him with cash? I had to get my mom to use her credit card to buy me that stuff off of PA, lol.

Yup . I never pay with anything but cash actually.

Vamphuntr

Takao said:

It depends. If its Canada Post the answer is yes but in some regions FedEx and UPS only take Credit Cards.

Takao

Banned
I'm a cheap ass and went for the cheapest possible shipping, so I imagine that would be Canada Post.

Thanks guys! I'd rather not be dinged, but hey, if I am so be it.

StevieP

Banned
Ulchie said:
Ya I think the analog stick and the unit design could use some work. Self scratching devices aren't exactly something I'm interested in. That and ya, the battery is pretty lackluster at this point.

- They fixed the scratching thing. (and will replace your unit if you're an early adopter that suffered from this)

- The analog nub will probably be like that for the duration of the life of the device. Or at least until the improved WiiU tablet nubs are taped out and can be used in the design (2012).

- Battery technology has not improved in eons. Unless they make the device bigger, or shrink the chipset enough to get more room in the already-cramped case, the battery life will be as it is.

Ulchie

Banned
StevieP said:
- They fixed the scratching thing. (and will replace your unit if you're an early adopter that suffered from this)

- The analog nub will probably be like that for the duration of the life of the device. Or at least until the improved WiiU tablet nubs are taped out and can be used in the design (2012).

- Battery technology has not improved in eons. Unless they make the device bigger, or shrink the chipset enough to get more room in the already-cramped case, the battery life will be as it is.
Doesn't mean they can't find ways to make it last longer. I will wait and see. Also, if the analog nub stays the same I just won't get the system.

Ulchie said:
Doesn't mean they can't find ways to make it last longer. I will wait and see. Also, if the analog nub stays the same I just won't get the system.

What's wrong with the nub?

You can make the battery last longer. Turn down the brightness to 3 and adjust your eyes to it and the battery life is totally acceptable. And you can add more life to it with the power saving mode. Or else just go buy the Nyko battery pack if you really don't mind the bulk. It's a nice accessory but personally, I returned it cause I don't like to alter the overall look of the console.

radiantdreamer said:
A response I got from amazon.ca
So I might not even get a copy of the game. Well nice to know at least. If its selling so well I guess it made money for Atlus.

If anything some one will probably do a lets play eventually and I can just watch that.

btkadams

StevieP said:

i don't believe they fixed the scratching thing. a gaffer posted that he sent his in for repairs he received a slip of paper with his new 3ds that says to put a cloth between the two screens to avoid the screen scratching in the future.

Lostconfused said:
So I might not even get a copy of the game. Well nice to know at least. If its selling so well I guess it made money for Atlus.

If anything some one will probably do a lets play eventually and I can just watch that.

Videogamesplus.ca has them in stock. All editions.

StevieP

Banned
btkadams said:
i don't believe they fixed the scratching thing. a gaffer posted that he sent his in for repairs he received a slip of paper with his new 3ds that says to put a cloth between the two screens to avoid the screen scratching in the future.

Perhaps his replacement was from leftover stock? I read somewhere that the refreshed stock has some kind of fix in place.

Doesn't mean they can't find ways to make it last longer.

Like what? If battery tech hasn't really improved in like... a decade... what can they do to make the existing-sized battery last longer? If you play your system in 2D, turn the brightness down, and turn the persistent wifi off, your battery will last orders of magnitude longer.

What's wrong with the nub?

I don't really like it. It's much better than the PSP's, but that's not saying much. It's not quite as good as an analog stick. It works, just not quite as good.

Magnus

For those who can't get to Costco (or find someone who can get Costco goods for them), it looks like Best Buy is selling the 3DS (Ambassador Edition! lulz) for $199 for a 'limited time only'. Just saw the email advertising the price in my junk mail account, on July 28th. No indication of when the offer's valid from/until.

radiantdreamer said:
Videogamesplus.ca has them in stock. All editions.
Tried buying from them once but they refused because the transaction was too dangerous. Since they wouldn't let me put in a billing address.

Edit: Well I tried ordering with them again, this time using paypal. Having to use paypal and them charging a bit more on certain items makes this whole thing just a bit unpleasant.

Riptwo

Huh, I ordered the Catherine deluxe edition from amazon.ca on May 02, right after receiving the Atlus email announcing its existence, but mine hasn't shipped yet either. I wonder just how few copies they actually received in the first run.

frequency

Riptwo said:
Huh, I ordered the Catherine deluxe edition from amazon.ca on May 02, right after receiving the Atlus email announcing its existence, but mine hasn't shipped yet either. I wonder just how few copies they actually received in the first run.
Amazon.ca received 0 copies.
Someone messed up. Either Amazon.ca forgot to actually place an order with Atlus, or (more likely) Atlus messed up and forgot .ca, sending everything to .com instead.

EDIT: The above is all just conjecture.
EDIT2: Except the part about getting 0 copies. That part is truth.
Though it looks like they finally got their regular editions.

snorggy

I'm a new 360 owner (got one for my birthday) is there a place you guys regularly go to get MS points? (Why can't i just buy stuff with regular moneys? *sob*)

snorggy said:
I'm a new 360 owner (got one for my birthday) is there a place you guys regularly go to get MS points? (Why can't i just buy stuff with regular moneys? *sob*)

You can either tie a credit card to your account (not recommended), or just buy the cards at retail. In Ontario you can find them at almost every gas station.

ShaneB

snorggy said:

Sadly no... it's a case of waiting for point card sales and hoping for the best.

Means I end up skipping a lot of Arcade games because those 1200 point games actually cost 20$ if you just buy em straight up.

edit: unless I misread your question, not sure you meant deals now, or just in general.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
snorggy said:

Typically RCSS / Dominion / Loblaws / whatever it is called where you live does a $10-off-$40 sale every year. Almost nowhere else puts points on sale unless it's a closing sale.

snorggy

For what it's worth, after looking around for a bit I found dell.ca seems to be the cheapest place to get 1400 point cards.... $2 cheaper at $17.99 than the $19.99 at most retail locations.

Only problem is the lack of instant gratification!

Lostconfused said:
Tried buying from them once but they refused because the transaction was too dangerous. Since they wouldn't let me put in a billing address.

Edit: Well I tried ordering with them again, this time using paypal. Having to use paypal and them charging a bit more on certain items makes this whole thing just a bit unpleasant.

I just got an email notification from amazon.ca saying that my Catherine is ready to ship. And I can't cancel it.

Dammitall! videogamesplus sent me a notice that it's shipped too! So now I'll have TWO limited editions of this game coming to me. WTF.

VGP has a 15% restocking fee for returns, while amazon doesn't. I guess amazon gets theirs returned to them after it arrives. :\

isny

napkin dispenser
radiantdreamer said:
I just got an email notification from amazon.ca saying that my Catherine is ready to ship. And I can't cancel it.

Dammitall! videogamesplus sent me a notice that it's shipped too! So now I'll have TWO limited editions of this game coming to me. WTF.

VGP has a 15% restocking fee for returns, while amazon doesn't. I guess amazon gets theirs returned to them after it arrives. :\

Just return to sender the Amazon one. Don't open the package, and bring it to your local post office and ask for a return to sender. (Or just don't accept it at the door when it gets delivered)

DJ_Lae

snorggy said:

As I never make it to Superstore in time to get the sale cards, I usually just go to Costco. They charge $36 for 2800 points. It's only four bucks off retail, but four bucks is four bucks.

And it's way cheaper than buying the points through the dashboard.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Are you guys just having problems finding the deluxe edition of Catherine? If not, and this applies to regular editions of Catherine too, there are plenty of copies at the Vaughan Mills EB games and the Square One walmart (last checked on Sunday for Vaughan Mills and monday for Walmart).

isny said:
Just return to sender the Amazon one. Don't open the package, and bring it to your local post office and ask for a return to sender. (Or just don't accept it at the door when it gets delivered)

No worries, amazon actually has a good return policy.

amazon.ca said:
Within 30 days of delivery of your shipment (including gifts), you may return any of the following items to Amazon.ca, for any reason, for a full refund (we'll also refund the return shipping cost, if the return is a result of our error):

Their error though. I suppose this could be considered their error, since they were supposed to have this in stock, and now I can't cancel because they were foolish.

Firestorm

I wouldn't return the Amazon one. I'm sure you'll find someone who'll kill for it in Vancouver. Make someone happy and sell it to them at cost (or for a tidy profit)!
Stumpokapow said:
Typically RCSS / Dominion / Loblaws / whatever it is called where you live does a $10-off-$40 sale every year. Almost nowhere else puts points on sale unless it's a closing sale.
Best Buy used to have those awesome 20% off accessories sales every other month :(

HUGE DEAL:

Gamestop is doing a "Why Rent" promo for the month: Return the game in 7 days for full store credit:

Games valid in the list:
Alice Madness Returns
Arcania: Gothic 4
Bleach Soul Resurreccion
Brink
CoD:Black Ops
Dirt 3
DrangonBall Z Raging Blast 2
Dungeon Siege 3
Dynasty Warrior 7
DW:Gundam 3
F1:2010