• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

disappeared said:
That's a damned good deal. I'm still iffy about the collection though. Did they include the original theatrical cuts that were on the previous issue of DVDs?

I don't believe so, which is regrettable... We can hope one day they will, but the odds are... well, as likely as Lucas admitting Han shot first.

Anth0ny

Refuse to buy the Star Wars blu ray until they're in the bargain bin for like $30.

And even then, it would be for the deleted scenes of the original trilogy.

WEGGLES

Looking to get a Google Nexus S cellphone from either Rogers or Telus. I'll be using it mainly in London Ontario, if that makes a difference.

Which of the 2 should I go with?

Both offer a plan I'd want at ~$55.

Looking at the Telus Student 55 plan and this plan from rogers:

9va4c.png

Which is a better cellphone provider for SW Ontario? They're essentially the same plan. Rogers is cheaper if I go over on my data, but Telus's Evenings start at 6 not 9. Hmmmmm.

Also Telus is CDMA, while Rogers is GSM. Is that anything to be worried about?

Not super gaming related, just looking for some input from other gaffers. (How easy is it to get a "deal" when getting a cellphone, and what sort of deals can telus or rogers do?)

Edit: Looking at coverage maps, it looks like Telus will have twice as fast data speeds in London and Sarnia (Where I'll be going to school, and home)

Roto13

So with the PS3 price drop, I'll finally be buying a new PS3 to replace my broken old fatty. I guess places like Best Buy and Futureshop will still have bundles. Hurmm.

dream

WEGGLES said:
Looking to get a Google Nexus S cellphone from either Rogers or Telus. I'll be using it mainly in London Ontario, if that makes a difference.

9va4c.png

Which is a better cellphone provider for SW Ontario? They're essentially the same plan. Rogers is cheaper if I go over on my data, but Telus's Evenings start at 6 not 9. Hmmmmm.

Not super gaming related, just looking for some input from other gaffers. (How easy is it to get a "deal" when getting a cellphone, and what sort of deals can telus or rogers do?)

Edit: Looking at coverage maps, it looks like Telus will have twice as fast data speeds in London and Sarnia (Where I'll be going to school, and home)

I can't prove it but I swear I saw a Bell student plan for $65 with 5PM evenings and 6GB of data.

3N16MA

Banned
BadWolf said:
So buy it online and pick up in store?

(sorry about all the questions)

Yep. Better chance than ordering it and waiting for it to be processed. You can pick it up at any store that has it in stock.

WEGGLES

dream said:
I can't prove it but I swear I saw a Bell student plan for $65 with 5PM evenings and 6GB of data.

Telus has Student 65 plan for $65 w/ 6GB of data, but I don't think it's worth the extra $360 ($10/mo x 3 year contract). My dad uses his iPhone excessively and hardly goes over half a GB

Truespeed

3N16MA said:
BB does not always honor a price error. In-store pick up would be processed faster than delivery.

The same goes for stores selling something for a price that's inconsistent with the price in their systems.

3N16MA

Banned
Truespeed said:
The same goes for stores selling something for a price that's inconsistent with the price in their systems.

True but if you show them a print out of the price many times they will honor when you have credit card in hand ready to pay. Not much you can do when they cancel it before delivery since the CSR on the phone won't help you much.

Anyways hope they honor it for you BadWolf.

Firestorm

WEGGLES said:

http://i.imgur.com/9va4c.png

They're both on GSM at this point so no CDMA issues. I know Rogers used to be far better for Retentions plans but I think Telus may be decent now as well. You won't get many good deals for the six months but then you can call in and threaten to cancel to get decent stuff.

I personally don't like combo plans. I'd rather get a voice + data + add-ons so that you can then discount / change them individually with retentions without affecting the others. Remember that your contract means you're going to stick with a PROVIDER for 3 years, not the plan. Your plan can be changed at any time (true for Rogers, I think true for the other two).

Think of how much you call and stuff first. For example, you could do $20 Voice Plan with 50 mins + $30 6GB Data Pack on Telus.

Remember that neither of the plans you posted have Caller ID.

WEGGLES

Firestorm said:
They're both on GSM at this point so no CDMA issues. I know Rogers used to be far better for Retentions plans but I think Telus may be decent now as well. You won't get many good deals for the six months but then you can call in and threaten to cancel to get decent stuff.

I personally don't like combo plans. I'd rather get a voice + data + add-ons so that you can then discount / change them individually with retentions without affecting the others. Remember that your contract means you're going to stick with a PROVIDER for 3 years, not the plan. Your plan can be changed at any time (true for Rogers, I think true for the other two).

Think of how much you call and stuff first. For example, you could do $20 Voice Plan with 50 mins + $30 6GB Data Pack on Telus.

Remember that neither of the plans you posted have Caller ID.

I don't think I'll need more than 1GB of data, and if I split it up I have to pick between pick5 OR unlimited texting. With the combo plan I get Pick10 AND unlimited texting. And I need the Nationwide Pick10, so I'll be able to phone home. It says unlimited family calling, but it sounds like my parents would need to sign up with me. My mom is with Bell, and my dad is on a corperate Rogers accn't so that's no good.

So, I'd have to do Voice40, to get Nationwide Pick 5. ($40) then I'd do the Package 15
unlimited text, picture and video messages2,7 plus Caller ID for $15/month, so now it's $55 a month and I get less for the Favourite numbers thing, and then I have to add on data. Which would be $30 more. So $85, if I split it up. Or $63 if I don't ($55 + $8 for CID) . Sucks needing the nationwide favourite numbers thing. I'm only an hour away, but it's enough for it to be long distance :'[

Would calling and threatening to cancel work if I'm in a contract, though? Wouldn't they have me by the balls with the cancellation fees?

Firestorm

WEGGLES said:
I don't think I'll need more than 1GB of data, and if I split it up I have to pick between pick5 OR unlimited texting. With the combo plan I get Pick10 AND unlimited texting. And I need the Nationwide Pick10, so I'll be able to phone home. It says unlimited family calling, but it sounds like my parents would need to sign up with me. My mom is with Bell, and my dad is on a corperate Rogers accn't so that's no good.

So, I'd have to do Voice40, to get Nationwide Pick 5. ($40) then I'd do the Package 15
unlimited text, picture and video messages2,7 plus Caller ID for $15/month, so now it's $55 a month and I get less for the Favourite numbers thing, and then I have to add on data. Which would be $30 more. So $85, if I split it up. Or $63 if I don't ($55 + $8 for CID) . Sucks needing the nationwide favourite numbers thing. I'm only an hour away, but it's enough for it to be long distance :'[

Would calling and threatening to cancel work if I'm in a contract, though? Wouldn't they have me by the balls with the cancellation fees?
Yeah student plan may be best then =/

No of course not. They'd rather have $50 from you each month instead of $65 for the remainder of your contract (+ life in many cases!) than have you leave for a lump sum of $400 and instead give their competitors money. I mean, the closer you are to the end of your contract the more incentive they have to keep you, but just because you're on a contract doesn't mean you have no power. Just be very polite, play a little dumb, and you'll usually bring down your bill a bit.

Firestorm

Anth0ny said:
Anyone ever order from Zavvi or Game.co.uk know if you get hit by customs? Looking to pick up dat Xenoblade.
Never ordered from them but I think Zavvi uses Royal Mail which turns into Canada Post so you would be likely fine with them. You want them to use Royal Mail.

sikkinixx

Also the reflag forums have handy tips for maxing out the offers you can get via retentions, so does the howard-something forums, though I haven't been there in a long time.

The 'deals' they offer are so terrible. I cringe when friends brag about the great deal they scored and are paying $20-30 more than me for less than what I have.

StevieP

Banned
Ah yes, the hofo! www.howardforums.com - haven't visited there for a long time but their phone discussions are top notch, and very local. RedFlagDeals is pretty good too, though, when it comes to retentions discussions.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Flyers for August 19-25 from RFD.

Futureshop

Dues Ex - $59.99 (Augmented Edition $69.99) - Trade-in 2 games, get it for free for either. Get $10 off Batman: Arkham City with purchase.
Trade in two games, get a bonus $20 gift card.
* Both trades from list.

Homefront, WWE All-stars - $39.99

Xbox 360 4GB Kinect Bundle with Bioshock 2 & Super SF4 - $299.99
Ninja Blade - $9.99

PS3 160GB with Socom 4, MGS4 and Bluray Remote Control - $299.99
PS Move Tiger Woods Bundle - $99.99

3DS - Madden Football, Steel Diver, Nintendogs + Cats - $19.99 each

Pre-order Bonuses
Madden 12 - NFL All-star team
NHL 12 - Goalie Boost

Bestbuy

Dues Ex - $59.99 (Free Pack which includes shotgun and sniper rifle) - Trade 3, get it for free. (Min $8)

Fear 3, Mortal Kombat - $39.99
2 for $30 (over 30 to choose from) - GTA4, Sonic Genesis Collection, MK vs. DC, Mass Effect 2, Left 4 Dead, Orange Box

Xbox 360 250GB with GOW Triple Pack - $299.99

PS3 160GB with Socom 4 & Uncharted 2 GOTY - $299.99

3DS BOGO ($39.99each) - Pilot Wings, Nintendogs (3 different games), Steel Diver

800 RWZ Points - Madden 12, Resistance 3, NHL 12

Get $40 off an iPod touch when you trade in your old MP3 player.
Get $20 off any TomTom GPS over $150 when you trade in your old GPS.
Get $15 of any new Motorola cordless phone when you trade in your old phone.
TV trade-in - Sony 40-45" $100 off, 46-54 $200, 55+ $300.

RCSS

Gear of War Triple Pack - $10

WM

Deus Ex - $53.xx

Thread has pics of the pages.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/aug-...wm-rcss-1071113/?prefixid=Games9&daysprune=30

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Not a game deal, but Mobilicity's Back to School Plan is great.

25$ a month gets you:

Unlimited: Local Calling, Mobilicity to Mobilicity Calling, Text & Picture Messages, Caller I.D and Data.

Open to new and current subscribers, don't need to be a student. Plan lasts as long as you stay topped up.

Tiktaalik

jaundicejuice said:
If you're living in the Vancouver area and wanted to get Ninokuni for the Nintendo DS, Book Off has new and sealed copies for 30$.

Oh random. Did they have quite a few? I would consider picking that up. I was still holding out hope that it'd be announced for NA. Maybe wait till Level 5 World conference in October? :(

Reveirg

Firestorm said:
Never ordered from them but I think Zavvi uses Royal Mail which turns into Canada Post so you would be likely fine with them. You want them to use Royal Mail.

Although I'm worried this won't apply for the CE edition, being bigger and more expensive...

Luigi87

I'm guessing the get $10 off Arkham City for getting DX:HR is only in-store? I'm wondering, since I've had the PC Augmented Edition on order since the E3 sale.

Cmagus

WEGGLES said:

9va4c.png

I was with Rogers for my cell phone and absolutely hated it.I recently switched to Telus when I got my Iphone and I have had no complaints so far.Rogers IMO was incredibly incompetent, rude as hell on the phone (main reason I left them) and they were more expensive also their online billing and crap is always down or not working that was another major hassle I found with them.That's just my experience but yeah I hate Rogers with a passion but they are still better than Bell IMO.

I can speak for Telus but I got my iphone 0/down with contract for 50.00 a month/ 10 numbers that I can talk and text for free (Rogers only has My5) and the student deal when I got it got me something like 500 extra free texts and unlimited weekends.Lastly I am in Guelph/Toronto area and I have always had great reception and 3G connection.

Some decent DS game deals if you can find them:

Bestbuy
Rhythm Heaven --$10
Glory of Heracles --$10
Dragon Ball Origins 2 --$15

Gamestop/EB
Broken Sword DS --$10
DQ Monsters Joker --$10
Dragon Ball Origins --$10
Flower Sun Rain --$13 (YMMV, can’t find online)
Elebits: Adv of Kai & Zero --$18
SMT: Strange Journey --$18
FF: 4 Heroes of Light --$20
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded --$20 (PM at BB/FS where it’s still $35)
Blue Dragon AS --$20

VGPLUS
Legendary Starfy --$20
Blue Dragon AS --$20

The Source (in-store, YMMV)
Harvest Moon Grand Bazaar --$15
Picross 3D --$15
Batman: Brave & Bold --$15
Dragon Ball Origins 2 --$15

Staples (in-store, YMMV)
Prof. Layton and UF --$20

aasoncott

Cmagus said:
I was with Rogers for my cell phone and absolutely hated it.I recently switched to Telus when I got my Iphone and I have had no complaints so far.Rogers IMO was incredibly incompetent, rude as hell on the phone (main reason I left them) and they were more expensive also their online billing and crap is always down or not working that was another major hassle I found with them.That's just my experience but yeah I hate Rogers with a passion but they are still better than Bell IMO.

I can speak for Telus but I got my iphone 0/down with contract for 50.00 a month/ 10 numbers that I can talk and text for free (Rogers only has My5) and the student deal when I got it got me something like 500 extra free texts and unlimited weekends.Lastly I am in Guelph/Toronto area and I have always had great reception and 3G connection.

Just to provide the opposite story: I was with Rogers for years and had very little trouble. Perfect reception everywhere. They screwed up the first through bills, but once that was settled everything was fine.

I decided to switch to Telus because they have a better phone selection. Or rather, I was thinking of switching to Telus. Telus lied to me four different times about how much their plans cost, and then one evening I got home to discover that they had ported my number away from Rogers just because I was in the store asking about their plans. I called Telus to ask them what the hell was going on, and they said, "Oh, you and your wife signed up for xxxxx plan, and you received two phones from us, correct?" Which wasn't true at all. But they kept saying that we had signed up for the plan, and if we wanted out we'd have to pay for early termination.

Of course, this was all terribly illegal, but we just wanted our damn phones to work. So I said okay -- we'd go with the plan. We liked the phones, the plan wasn't horrible. And I figured I could fight it later if I really cared. I know, this was stupid. I'm stupid. But I wasn't thinking clearly.

So, I've had this plan for around a year now. The icing on the cake? Rogers had great reception in Vancouver. I assumed Telus would have good reception, too -- after all, if you can't get good reception in Vancouver, what good is your company? Well, Telus doesn't have good reception in Vancouver. Walk into a grocery store? You'll drop off the network. Walk into a restaurant? You'll drop off the network. Ikea? Drop off the network.

Anyway, when I care enough I plan on launching a full-on assault against Telus to kill our contracts and go back to Rogers. I just... haven't wanted to do it yet. Talking to Telus on the phone is hell. So far it's been easier to just cope with it.

Median

Firestorm said:

Huh...I ordered from game.co.uk and someone from Canada Post tried to deliver a package to my apartment earlier today. I doubt it's Xenoblade already, but oh sweet baby Jesus I hope it is.

Dipper145

Living in Guelph in a house during the school year with a bunch of people (6 of us) and I'm supposed to be looking into what is the best deal for internet for our needs.

Is teksavvy's the best/cheapest you can get?

Any suggestions?

Firestorm

Dipper145 said:
Living in Guelph in a house during the school year with a bunch of people (6 of us) and I'm supposed to be looking into what is the best deal for internet for our needs.

Any suggestions?
Pretty much if you're heavy downloaders (which you probably are being on a gaming website and a student).

Cerepol

Dipper145 said:

Any suggestions?

Cool, you go to UoG? If so what program. I'm a 3rd year Comp Sci myself.

Also yes Teksavvy will be the best.

UberTag

Median said:
Huh...I ordered from game.co.uk and someone from Canada Post tried to deliver a package to my apartment earlier today. I doubt it's Xenoblade already, but oh sweet baby Jesus I hope it is.
Keep us updated on when your order arrives.

I had a Canada Post delivery attempt yesterday that I missed (will be picking it up tomorrow morning). The only things I'm expecting in the mail right now are a DHL package from Amazon USA and my FanExpo pass (which I don't believe would require a CP Package Delivery w/ signature) so I'm hopeful it's Xenoblade. For some reason I think we'll get our orders before folks in the States will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom