• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercuryLS

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
So I heard from the rumor mill that after HP announced they're abandoning hardware and doing just software, their stocks dropped like 25% or something.

Considering HP is abandoning hardware, I'm not sure I'd want to buy one of their products due to lack of future support.

Are they also abandoning their printers? I have one and I love it.

Their stock dropped 20%, yes. They are abandoning hardware but will still be supporting WebOS (supposedly). People are really waiting for Android to be ported to this thing, which is currently in the works. It's not the nicest tablet hardware, but at $100/$150 it can't be beat, the hardware is very competent vs. the tablets out there and once honeycomb is ported, it'll be the cheapest full featured tablet on the market.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
radiantdreamer said:
So I heard from the rumor mill that after HP announced they're abandoning hardware and doing just software, their stocks dropped like 25% or something.

Considering HP is abandoning hardware, I'm not sure I'd want to buy one of their products due to lack of future support.

Are they also abandoning their printers? I have one and I love it.
It's not a rumour. They announced that they were looking for a buyer for their products division, which includes pretty much everything that they manufacture. It's sort of like how Motorola still exists even though they just sold their more visible part of their company to Google.

MercuryLS

Banned
BocoDragon said:
My last two PCs are HP... but it just goes to show you the weakness of their brand that I shed not a single tear for the demise of their hardware. It's not that I hate them. Just...... "meh."

HP's crapass notebook hardware is what made me switch to a mac (and never return to windows). Good riddance to shit hardware.

Firestorm

I bought a 13" MacBook Pro last year because the only comparable Windows laptop was an HP Envy and I absolutely refuse to buy an HP laptop. HP has a 100% defect rate amongst my friends within the first 2 years of use ._. I wanted Windows but I did NOT want an HP laptop. Now I actually like OSX for portable use but still prefer Windows 7 for long-term / home use.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Threi said:
LTTP but i guess im out of luck if i want to just stroll in a store and pick up one of these tablets, huh?
Haha, yeah. Direct from HP might be your only bet, unless the stores somehow get more inventory.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HP does software..?

All their software that comes with their hardware is complete ass. How will they still sell software without the hardware products to tie it to?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
enzo_gt said:
HP does software..?

All their software that comes with their hardware is complete ass. How will they still sell software without the hardware products to tie it to?
They'll be like IBM and do B2B services.

Firestorm said:
I bought a 13" MacBook Pro last year because the only comparable Windows laptop was an HP Envy and I absolutely refuse to buy an HP laptop. HP has a 100% defect rate amongst my friends within the first 2 years of use ._. I wanted Windows but I did NOT want an HP laptop. Now I actually like OSX for portable use but still prefer Windows 7 for long-term / home use.

To be fair.HP laptops suffer from the same bad design that all fan based laptops have:the intake fan is right beside the output fan. If you don't elevate an HP you are completely ducked. Mine is still doing good 3 years after I bought it but my brothers died after just one mainly due to leaving it running on his bed like an asshole. Gotta get one of the nitrogen cooling systems that they have in fancied newer laptops.

Giard

Nobiru said:
It worked for me about a month ago, when I had to turn off auto renewal when I got that 3 month for super cheap thing. just ran out last week, and I put in my 12 month card.

Ahh, I thought the feature was recently added.

enzo_gt said:
The feature has been there for years IIRC. Just people had difficulty finding it.

No, the feature was added for Ontario residents a couple of months back-I think I posted about it when it happened. I had checked the week prior and it wasn't available.

Don't know if it's been added for the rest of Canada (or if it was available back then).

It was gone for a while, and recently put back in a month or maybe 2 ago?

edit: I think when it came back to Ontario it went across the country, Im pretty sure here in Alberta got it around the same time.

Firestorm said:

What about Dell? My family has 3 and one is approaching 5 years old. They're all still working though the battery on one is kaput and the AC adapter died on another. We even have a Dell desktop that's still going. Requires a lot of price-watching because their specs and deals change weekly but you can get some good deals from Dell.

I heard that about 100 people lined up outside a BB yesterday, hoping to snag a Touchpad. I'm pretty sure most stock on FS/BB's websites are phantom stock.

Lone_Prodigy said:
What about Dell? My family has 3 and one is approaching 5 years old. They're all still working though the battery on one is kaput and the AC adapter died on another. We even have a Dell desktop that's still going. Requires a lot of price-watching because their specs and deals change weekly but you can get some good deals from Dell.

I heard that about 100 people lined up outside a BB yesterday, hoping to snag a Touchpad. I'm pretty sure most stock on FS/BB's websites are phantom stock.

Yeah, ive got a XPS 1330 from about 4 years ago, and its still awesome. battery is pretty shity now, but thats my fault for leaving it plugged in and on 24/7 haha. It just travels with me around the house when I want to eat. :p

Its been a great laptop. powerful as fuck too.

Firestorm

Lone_Prodigy said:

They didn't have one with what I needed (13 - 14", 6+ hour battery life, $1000 or less, decent screen, able to run Photoshop / Flash / Illustrator / Premier / etc. smoothly for school, run TF2 / L4D2 / Audiosurf for games).

No_Style

Firestorm said:
They didn't have one with what I needed (13 - 14", 6+ hour battery life, $1000 or less, decent screen, able to run Photoshop / Flash / Illustrator / Premier / etc. smoothly for school, run TF2 / L4D2 / Audiosurf for games).

I'm guessing you went refurb for the MBP 13"?

:\ I react too slow... it's only NOW that I want a cheap touchpad. :(

I heard you can still walk in and buy one if you're somewhere in Toronto. Not so much anywhere else anymore...

Mikey Jr.

radiantdreamer said:
:\ I react too slow... it's only NOW that I want a cheap touchpad. :(

I heard you can still walk in and buy one if you're somewhere in Toronto. Not so much anywhere else anymore...

Well, you can watch kijiji if you want. There is probably going to be a mass drop in price soon, or a mass return soon. One of those.

Firestorm

Success!

KGLsD.png

=)

Ordered Friday about 45 mins into the sale I think.
No_Style said:
I'm guessing you went refurb for the MBP 13"?
Education Discount + sold the free iPod Touch. I bought it a year ago.

krae_man

Firestorm said:
Success!

KGLsD.png

=)

I'm still waiting on my Bestbuy email :(

Edit: why was your enviromental fee $1.20? Does it very by province(mine was $0.70)?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
GG-Duo said:
Can we take the TouchPad discussion to the OT, um, OT? Seems like this one could be more gaming focused.
There's a reason why Discussion was put in the thread title.

Firestorm

krae_man said:
I'm still waiting on my Bestbuy email :(

Edit: why was your enviromental fee $1.20? Does it very by province(mine was $0.70)?
It may be province-based or a percentage of the price or flash capacity. So yours might have been cheaper if it was the 16GB unit? I had it shipped to BC.

krae_man

Firestorm said:
It may be province-based or a percentage of the price or flash capacity. So yours might have been cheaper if it was the 16GB unit? I had it shipped to BC.

I ordered a 32gb. Must be province based. My total was also a little over $170 because HST in Ontario is 1% higher then BC.

Truespeed

Firestorm said:
Success!

KGLsD.png

=)

Congrats. My 16GB arrived today for $20 (with GC's). My 32GB is en route.

Firestorm

Truespeed said:
Congrats. My 16GB arrived today for $20 (with GC's). My 32GB is en route.
Did you have to sign for it? Canada Post right?
GG-Duo said:
Can we take the TouchPad discussion to the OT, um, OT? Seems like this one could be more gaming focused.
As mentioned, this thread isn't always gaming-related. Usually gamers are also interested in tech which is why you'll see stuff like this, internet, wireless, etc. pop up. It's a lot easier to get questions answered in a thread where we aren't outnumbered by Americans 10:1.

Takao

Banned
Onion_Relish said:
Hellllll yeah, future shop sent me another gift card. Now i've got 38 worth of gift cards, jawsome.

Holy fuck, do you mean $38, or you've received 38 cards?

I got 2 ...

GG-Duo said:

Expect lots of detours into tech-related sales. You'll learn something along the way.

Protip: If anybody posts about the quality of their ISP, do yourself a favor and skip a few pages!

Takao

Banned
I check the Kijjji because I'm a weak sod, and see this:

I have 3 brand new in box HP touchpad tablets.

They are 32 gb. I am selling them for $300 each.

They will be ready for pick up next tuesday.

I know that they were selling for $149 plus tax but they are impossible to find.

If interested please let me know.

I will also provide a copy of the receipt.

They come with a 1 year manufactures warranty direct from HP.

-_______-

Takao

Banned
Mike Works said:
How are you guys getting Futureshop gift cards?

There was this Facebook promotion (now over) where enough doing tasks (like advertising Futureshop on your Facebook, and Twitter feeds) would net you $5 gift cards to the max of 4.

Guesong

C'mon Futureshop, stop processing my Deus Ex order and ship it!

I hate being stuck in the "In Progress" limbo...especially when reading some Futureshop horrors stories.

Blargh.

Guesong said:
C'mon Futureshop, stop processing my Deus Ex order and ship it!

I hate being stuck in the "In Progress" limbo...especially when reading some Futureshop horrors stories.

Blargh.
You are lucky, i cant even see my order!!!

Luigi87

Yeah, my DX:HR:AE (<.<) that I did in bundle order during E3 week is still In Progress...

Looks like when Skyward Sword releases (especially since it is a Sunday, also in this order), I'll need to pick it up on Sunday from Store A, play, get my FS copy, and return that to Store A.

krae_man

HP TOUCHPAD 32 GB
$290 firm Brand new

Tired of people posting they want them, but expect to get them for the steep discount they were quickly sold at. For $290 it's still the cheapest and one of the best tablets out there.

Do not respond unless you are purchasing.

Urge to kill Rising...

Proc

I was given a PIN for my deus ex order from futureshop and when I called it wasn't even in their system yet. Blarg!

Kunohara

krae_man said:
Urge to kill Rising...

I really hope no one buys any from these fucks and they are out a couple hundred for buying more than 1 hoping to sell them.

I really don't understand why stores just limit the sale of something so deeply discounted to 1 per customer to avoid having guys like this pull off this stupid shit.

Luigi87

Well been charged for my Deus Ex order on FutureShop.
In Ontario, seems to be shipping from Burnaby, BC.
...Ugh. Kind of why I hate pre-ordering from FS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom