• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Firestorm said:
Did you have to sign for it? Canada Post right?As mentioned, this thread isn't always gaming-related. Usually gamers are also interested in tech which is why you'll see stuff like this, internet, wireless, etc. pop up. It's a lot easier to get questions answered in a thread where we aren't outnumbered by Americans 10:1.

People griped a bit when UBB dominated the conversation too. *shrugs* I'm not particularly bothered, especially since it's not like there are any Canadian Gaming Deals right now that need attention. The EB rental swap program is over, the 3DS' revival has basically stemmed 3DS sales, Rogers has been useless for years, etc.

krae_man

Kunohara said:
I really hope no one buys any from these fucks and they are out a couple hundred for buying more than 1 hoping to sell them.

I really don't understand why stores just limit the sale of something so deeply discounted to 1 per customer to avoid having guys like this pull off this stupid shit.

I agree.

Still no word from Bestbuy or NCIX for me yet. Was hoping I could take this on a test drive while at PAX. guess that won't happen now even if I do end up getting one.

DJ_Lae

Luigi87 said:
Well been charged for my Deus Ex order on FutureShop.
In Ontario, seems to be shipping from Burnaby, BC.
...Ugh. Kind of why I hate pre-ordering from FS.

Same thing for me, but with Best Buy. BB seems to always ship out of Ontario where Future Shop ships from Vancouver and I get it the next day.

Lyphen said:
Damnit, my NCIX order is already processed.

Some people on RFD have been making do with $2 iPad cases (not iPad2) from Dollarama. The size is almost the same (and I guess the ports are too).

I went by London Drugs and they're clearing out some iPad cases for $5-10. YMMV.

I got my order of Deus Ex Augmented today from FS via Purolator. I was surprised it came so fast (but I didn't get a pre-order code).

GBONZZZZ

Anybody looking to buy an Xbox 360 should know that starting August 26th, Best Buy is offering a 250GB Console with Halo 3, Halo Wars, Alan Wake, Gears of War 2, and Fable 3 for 299.99 plus a 30$ gift card.

Totally makes me want to buy a 360.

Firestorm

isny said:
I should be able to show up. I'm going to possibly be meeting some friends Saturday night after the con, but our plans aren't set yet, so I may be able to make it =)
Once you know please post in that thread confirming!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
August 26 - September 1 flyers from TIVS
http://tivs.ca/forum/-aug-26th-sept-1st-weekly-flyers-bb-fs-wm--p30750.html#p30750 (click to see scans)

Bestbuy

Madden 12 - $59.99 - Trade 3, get it for free (Min $8)

Xbox 360 250GB with downloadable Alan Wake, Halo Wars, Fable 3, GOW2 and Halo 3 - $299.99 (Bonus $30 giftcard)

PS3 320GB Infamous 2 Bundle - $299.99
Dualshock 3 - $54.99 - Buy 2, save $20

Wii Remote Plus Bundle with free Nintendo selects title (8 to choose from) - $139.99
Wii $19.99 each - SMG, Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers, Punch out

GOW 3 Pre-order - 800 rwz points, free toque and in-game character MechanicBaird
NHL 12, Resistance 3 Pre-order - 800 rwz points

Futureshop

Madden 12 - $59.99 (Bonus $10 towards Fifa 12) - Trade 2, get it for free.
Trade in 2 games, get a bonus $20 gift card.
Wii Remote Plus Bundle with Zelda Twilight Princess - $139.99 - Trade 4, get it for free.
* All trades from list.

Madden 12 Hall of Fame Edition - $89.99

Xbox 360 250GB with downloadable Alan Wake, Halo Wars, Fable 3, GOW2 and Halo 3 - $299.99 (Bonus headset - webid 10177628)

PS3 320GB Infamous 2 Bundle - $299.99
Infamous - $14.99
MGS4 - $14.99
PSP 3000 - $129.99 (Free 2-pack, 3 to choose from)

Wii $19.99 each - SMG, Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers, Punch out
Civ 5 - $29.99

Pre-order bonuses
NHL 12 - Goalie boost and steelbook
Resistance 3 - Four multiplayer PSN tags

Walmart

Xbox 360 250GB with Halo Wars, Gears of War 2, Fable III, Halo 3, Alan Wake (All of those are Downloable Code Full Game) for $299

Madden NFL 12 $59,83

PS3 : All of them are $29

KillZone 3
Motorstorm Apocalypse
Socom 4
Gran Turismo 5

Wii : $19 (August 28th)

Super Mario Galaxy 1
Punch Out

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Thanks! I'm going to get Killzone 3 and Motorstorm Apocalypse from Best Buy tomorrow and price match it to Walmart Friday:)

Officially with Teksavvy. Feels good. I feel cleaner. Go fuck a duck, Rogers.

I'm getting 28mbps right now. Yah yah I know, speedboost. But with Rogers it never went over 11mbps.

Cancelling with Rogers has been a nightmare. They have a bunch of chimps working over there. 3 times my cancellation request magically went missing and if it weren't for me staying on top of them, they would have never cancelled my service.

Officially cable free too. I want to ditch them for home phone too so if anyone has some cheap alternatives (paying $36 a month incl/ 2 calling features) let me know.

Those Wal-Mart $29.99 games are a great deal, even now.

Costco apparently has Socom and Killzone 3 for $17 though. I wish I had a membership.

TheExodu5

Banned
Firestorm said:
Meh, I wanted $20 :(

Me too, but I figure I should snap it up before they're gone. I don't really think they're going to have any trouble clearing out inventories of accessories...they're already all gone at BestBuy and FutureShop.

Kunohara

criesofthepast said:
Officially with Teksavvy. Feels good. I feel cleaner. Go fuck a duck, Rogers.

I'm getting 28mbps right now. Yah yah I know, speedboost. But with Rogers it never went over 11mbps.

Cancelling with Rogers has been a nightmare. They have a bunch of chimps working over there. 3 times my cancellation request magically went missing and if it weren't for me staying on top of them, they would have never cancelled my service.

Officially cable free too. I want to ditch them for home phone too so if anyone has some cheap alternatives (paying $36 a month incl/ 2 calling features) let me know.

I just switched also. How are you getting 28mbps right now? You mention speedboost, so I assume you're on cable. 28mbps sounds like their DSL plan.

I'm on the unlimited cable plan. I don't know if it is congestion or what, but I notice sometimes at night that when I try to watch any streams, it doesn't go very fast, and lags. Never had a problem before.

Kunohara said:
I just switched also. How are you getting 28mbps right now? You mention speedboost, so I assume you're on cable. 28mbps sounds like their DSL plan.

I'm on the unlimited cable plan. I don't know if it is congestion or what, but I notice sometimes at night that when I try to watch any streams, it doesn't go very fast, and lags. Never had a problem before.
I'm on the 10mbps cable package. The 28mbps was through Ethernet and it doesn't always hit that. When I tested with wifi it went from 30 down to 14. I think speedboost really skews the results. I'm happy if I'm getting what I pay for which is 10. Seems like I am getting that and more. We will see tonight during peak hours what happens. I bought the docsis 2 RCA modem and if the Teksavvy CSR would have explained it better I would have bought the docsis 3. Hope congestion isn't an issue for me. It never was with Rogers.

Kunohara said:

I've been experiencing this the last few weeks with Teksavvy. I'm on their unlimited cable plan as well.

criesofthepast said:
I'm on the 10mbps cable package. The 28mbps was through Ethernet and it doesn't always hit that. When I tested with wifi it went from 30 down to 14. I think speedboost really skews the results. I'm happy if I'm getting what I pay for which is 10. Seems like I am getting that and more. We will see tonight during peak hours what happens. I bought the docsis 2 RCA modem and if the Teksavvy CSR would have explained it better I would have bought the docsis 3. Hope congestion isn't an issue for me. It never was with Rogers.

Damn, now I want to run an Ethernet cable across my apartment to my computer.

kliklik

Banned
What the hell happened to the T2GIF promo on Deus Ex at Futureshop and Best Buy? I can't find the qualifying games on their site. Did they decide to drop this promo? What's going on?

Kunohara

criesofthepast said:

Whereabouts do you live? Just curious if you might be in the same area, and if so, to see if you have the same problem. I got the 475 modem ($99 one). I am getting more than 15mbps when I torrent, so I'm happy with that. Teksavvy has said that certain areas of the city are really congested, and that they actually aren't accepting new orders from those areas for now (Mcnicoll I know is one area, don't remember the others).

Edit: Just saw your post DoctorWho. Whereabouts do you live? I live near Vic Park Ave & Finch Ave (in Toronto). I also have an ethernet connection to my computer.

Kunohara said:
Whereabouts do you live? Just curious if you might be in the same area, and if so, to see if you have the same problem. I got the 475 modem ($99 one). I am getting more than 15mbps when I torrent, so I'm happy with that. Teksavvy has said that certain areas of the city are really congested, and that they actually aren't accepting new orders from those areas for now (Mcnicoll I know is one area, don't remember the others).

Edit: Just saw your post DoctorWho. Whereabouts do you live? I live near Vic Park Ave & Finch Ave (in Toronto). I also have an ethernet connection to my computer.
I'm in Mississauga. I just tested again on wifi and got this result. We don't use ethernet in my house but I was just curious earlier and it definitely is a bit faster for me. So the few times I've tested on wifi now in the past hour I'm getting anywhere from 14 to 25. This really is all speedboost playing tricks I guess.

1448081419.png

edit: here is a comparison with rogers what I got.

1448099549.png

DrEvil

not a medical professional
criesofthepast said:
I want to ditch them for home phone too so if anyone has some cheap alternatives (paying $36 a month incl/ 2 calling features) let me know.

http://voip.ms

You can port your number over for 25 bucks, but if you don't care about that, they'll assign you a new local number for fifty cents.

Basically it's pay as you go, uses your interweb connection. You buy a little $30 linksys box and configure it with your account info, and you get a home phone line that works with all your existing phones in the house (just plug it into the wall and all the other phone jacks are available to you from that box).

My monthly cost is about... $1.50

Call anywhere in north america for 0.02 cents per minute or something ridiculously low.

Got off Bell (was paying $40/month for basic phone) back in November and haven't looked back.

Fuzzy

So I've been having to contact Best Buy in order to get my Reward Zone points added to my account the last few times I've done an online order. After contacting them through the site I've gotten the points and bonus points (when I preordered a game) each time. Last week I got an email from them explaining that some customers weren't getting their points automatically and that it would be fixed. They added $35 worth of points (which I had previously already gotten) to my account and I just printed them out. :)

Oh yeah, I also got my 3 $5 gift cards from Future Shop today. :)

DrEvil said:

You can port your number over for 25 bucks, but if you don't care about that, they'll assign you a new local number for fifty cents.

Basically it's pay as you go, uses your interweb connection. You buy a little $30 linksys box and configure it with your account info, and you get a home phone line that works with all your existing phones in the house (just plug it into the wall and all the other phone jacks are available to you from that box).

Call anywhere in north america for 0.02 cents per minute or something ridiculously low.

Got off Bell (was paying $40/month for basic phone) back in November and haven't looked back.
This looks great. I'll look into it more. We barely use our home phone. I'd outright cut home phone but some in my house want to keep it for emergencies.

I just want to say THANK GAWD for this thread. It's helped me to avoid the pit of slimy hell that is RFD for quite some time now.

Good deal on those PS3 games at Wal Mart!

Rogers tech guy just came to cut our cable. But we still have cable lol. He fucked up. Picture is a tiny bit fuzzy though. Is it still illegal if it was their fault? Or do I have to be a nice guy and call them to fix it?

Kunohara

criesofthepast said:
Rogers tech guy just came to cut our cable. But we still have cable lol. He fucked up. Picture is a tiny bit fuzzy though. Is it still illegal if it was their fault? Or do I have to be a nice guy and call them to fix it?

When my friend moved into his condo, the cable was still working. He had all the channels too. He didn't say anything for a good long while, and then one day, he didn't have them any more. Guess Rogers finally figured it out.

It isn't illegal I don't think. It happens to alot of people. My sister actually works at Rogers, and she says there is a whole department devoted to trying to find people who still have services, but aren't paying for them. All they do is just tell them that their service is being cut off, and they try and offer them deals on the service they just cut off, heh.

Just enjoy it while it lasts.

Also, I saw your speeds eariler. I get good results on it as well, it just seems to be streams that is a problem. Also, try doing the speedtest in the evening and see if you still get the same result.

Rocket Punch said:
Are these part of the Classics Collection series now?

EDIT: Yes they are.

nintyslects-600x300.jpg

Pre-order them from Best Buy online and get $5 off ($15 each).

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=b02110ae4c601ba4e074a28bb31b0336en02
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=e7b9928178a7f8289ee62968ae953dbfen02
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=bc4b9f544ba24b7f5289ddd5b96b6183en02
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=0eff2a8fca414f3ef2218fa26e2e46b6en02

Staples has discounted their Touchpad accessories by 50% (case $25, Touchstone $40).

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=&webid=355047&affixedcode=WW
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=&webid=355048&affixedcode=WW

kliklik said:
What the hell happened to the T2GIF promo on Deus Ex at Futureshop and Best Buy? I can't find the qualifying games on their site. Did they decide to drop this promo? What's going on?

Seems to be a bug. Maybe you could get away with the T2+$20 list they have on the site.

Giard said:
I think we can now turn off automatic renewal on our xbox live accounts.
https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Subscriptions/AutoRenewal

Seems to work for me. Anyone else care to try it out?
You just made my day! I called those clowns four months ago to cancel autorenewal. The guy spent 20 minutes "working on it" trying his best to be my friend and not only change my mind--but EXTEND my membership while I waited.

I understand why CSRs do this. I get it. What I do not is when they tell you they have turned it off, when in fact they have NOT. I just got my "we're about to charge you again" email and after being on the fence about XBOX LIVE, I will never buy their product again after being lied to. Not to mention wasting 1/2hr of my time.

Used your link and sure enough--autorenew was "ON". Fixed that and took a screengrab. Did all that and post this rant in the time it would take me to navigate their telephone maze...

Poor showing Microsoft. You should never have removed that ability from the web management in the first place.

krae_man

We wanted to connect with you immediately with respect to your recent visit to BestBuy.ca where you ordered the HP 32GB TouchPad with Wi-Fi. Being upfront and direct with our customers is important to us. Recently, an error within our online system was made, and as a result of the overwhelming volume of orders placed, we were unable to fulfill your request due to a lack of inventory and have cancelled your order.

Can't believe it took Bestbuy legal and PR almost a week to come up with that.

I didn't order that much after Firestorm did. Guess I picked the wrong site:(

I guess someone decided to cancel all online orders and divert all online stock to retail. Their online inventory system is capable of preventing more orders then stock available so this explanation is clearly BS.

Fuzzy

Peter.Simpson909 said:
You just made my day! I called those clowns four months ago to cancel autorenewal. The guy spent 20 minutes "working on it" trying his best to be my friend and not only change my mind--but EXTEND my membership while I waited.

I understand why CSRs do this. I get it. What I do not is when they tell you they have turned it off, when in fact they have NOT. I just got my "we're about to charge you again" email and after being on the fence about XBOX LIVE, I will never buy their product again after being lied to. Not to mention wasting 1/2hr of my time.

Used your link and sure enough--autorenew was "ON". Fixed that and took a screengrab. Did all that and post this rant in the time it would take me to navigate their telephone maze...

Poor showing Microsoft. You should never have removed that ability from the web management in the first place.
https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx

It's the only way they'll learn.

Kunohara said:
When my friend moved into his condo, the cable was still working. He had all the channels too. He didn't say anything for a good long while, and then one day, he didn't have them any more. Guess Rogers finally figured it out.

It isn't illegal I don't think. It happens to alot of people. My sister actually works at Rogers, and she says there is a whole department devoted to trying to find people who still have services, but aren't paying for them. All they do is just tell them that their service is being cut off, and they try and offer them deals on the service they just cut off, heh.

Just enjoy it while it lasts.

Also, I saw your speeds eariler. I get good results on it as well, it just seems to be streams that is a problem. Also, try doing the speedtest in the evening and see if you still get the same result.

The last apartment I rented I got cable for five years completely free. When I bought my current house I gave the apartment to my Mom and she still gets free cable 3 years later. If you don't say anything it could go on for years.

Threi

notag
officially on the teksavvy boat myself (but paying for the cheap 5meg dsl)

Bell, despite all the shit they get, was at the very least stable. TS is too, but Im also experiencing the streaming problems...don't know exactly why.

vulva

criesofthepast said:
you're fine. It will end eventually though. Periodically they send technicians out to check the cable box to see who's wired to in to it with a checklist of who's paying. So you'll get cut off eventually, but until then live it up.

Anyone know what the cheapest/best deal is on a good laptop. You know what I mean, I know GOOD laptops aren't cheap but I mean one that might be on sale that is great value.

Someone I know wants one and maybe you guys know of one that is a great deal right now.

Kunohara, I'm getting the same speeds right now. Seems to be holding up well. I hope that means my area is not very congested. And HOLY CRAP at these torrent speeds. I've never gotten over 400kbps with Rogers on a torrent. I'm getting 1.7mbps on one right now. This is the life.
lol.gif

Yeah I'm on teksavvy cable and I get 1.7-2.5 all the time on torrents these days. Surprised me because I thought it would be throttled more through rogers.

Kunohara

criesofthepast said:
Kunohara, I'm getting the same speeds right now. Seems to be holding up well. I hope that means my area is not very congested. And HOLY CRAP at these torrent speeds. I've never gotten over 400kbps with Rogers on a torrent. I'm getting 1.7mbps on one right now. This is the life.
lol.gif

Yeah, my streaming problems are gone tonight. Which is good I guess. I hope it keeps up.

Yeah, my torrents speeds have not been affected which is good. Even though I have unlimited with Teksavvy, I do miss my 3 meg a second download I had with Bell. 1.7 meg a sec is still good :)

Once you get that taste of fast speeds, you'll wish you got the unlimited package :)

Ondore

As someone who works for a cable co/ISP/phone company, I can tell you that we usually have to be tipped off if someone's getting service who shouldn't. This is often in the form of a snitching phone call to CS.

So basically, if someone asks you if you're paying for cable, you say yes.

Cerepol

DrEvil said:

Do they have emergency services? (911 etc.) I hear some of these services don't

I hate 8 pm and my speed immediately felt like they were getting throttled by TekSavvy. Don't know why they started this shit. It's only been happening the last couple of months.

RS4-

DoctorWho said:
I hate 8 pm and my speed immediately felt like they were getting throttled by TekSavvy. Don't know why they started this shit. It's only been happening the last couple of months.

DSL? Cable? I haven't been throttled on the latter. On DSL it happened to me the last few months I was on their service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom