• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does Best Buy fare in terms of day-and-date shipping? I'm thinking of ordering Modern Warfare 3 from them for the reward zone points but I kind of want it on day one.

(yes, email marketing apparently works on me)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
PalaceBrother said:
How does Best Buy fare in terms of day-and-date shipping? I'm thinking of ordering Modern Warfare 3 from them for the reward zone points but I kind of want it on day one.

(yes, email marketing apparently works on me)
I usually get the game two days after release.

If you really want to play it day 1 then buy it in-store then return your online order with your in-store receipt.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think Rogers might be throttling Netflix. The video quality is much worse than it once was, and it takes forever (10-20 minutes) for the HD light to come on. On my friend's Teksavvy connection, it's perfect.

Also, changing the DNS on my router does nothing...I still get Rogers re-directs when using GoogleDNS. I'm getting tired of their shit.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
TheExodu5 said:
I think Rogers might be throttling Netflix. The video quality is much worse than it once was, and it takes forever (10-20 minutes) for the HD light to come on. On my friend's Teksavvy connection, it's perfect.

Also, changing the DNS on my router does nothing...I still get Rogers re-directs when using GoogleDNS. I'm getting tired of their shit.

Check your settings. During the CRTC rumblings last year, Netflix started offering a 'lower quality stream', to help with bandwidth complaints.

P.S. Switch to Teksavvy.

Fuzzy said:

If you really want to play it day 1 then buy it in-store then return your online order with your in-store receipt.

But that would be......gaming the system.... 0_0

Thanks!

TheExodu5

Banned
EvilMario said:
Check your settings. During the CRTC rumblings last year, Netflix started offering a 'lower quality stream', to help with bandwidth complaints.

P.S. Switch to Teksavvy.

Yeah, I've on Best Quality. I streamed from the exact same account at his place.

I would switch to Teksavvy, but I'm still at home and my dad got a 'deal' from Rogers and is reluctant to switch. This Netflix throttling news might persuade him, since he uses it quite a bit.

PalaceBrother said:
But that would be......gaming the system.... 0_0

Thanks!

I think it's fine, as long as you're doing it with the same store. Where I think it's wrong is when you take an Amazon order and return it to Futureshop, or something like that.

Camilos

Banned
TekSavvy looks pretty good if you're in Ontario or BC. For Quebec, the prices are much higher & the speed much slower.

Code:
Cable Unlimited Option

BC        : Up to 25 Mbps, $54.95
Ontario   : Up to 15 Mbps, $54.95
Quebec    : Up to 8  Mbps, $79.95

survivor

Banned
Any of you guys have experience buying used consoles/handhelds from Gamestop? I'm looking into buying a PSP and the refurbished ones at GS have a good price. I'm just hesitant that it won't be durable or will break soon. I'd much rather drop $129 right now if it means it will last for few years or until Vita is affordable.

btkadams

Fuzzy said:

yeah this is what i did with the pokemon games when they released. it works perfectly, if anyone is unsure.

Firestorm

Camilos said:
TekSavvy looks pretty good if you're in Ontario or BC. For Quebec, the prices are much higher & the speed much slower.

Code:
Cable Unlimited Option

Good if you're in Ontario. You can get better prices off Telus and Shaw in BC.

Kunohara

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah, I've on Best Quality. I streamed from the exact same account at his place.

I would switch to Teksavvy, but I'm still at home and my dad got a 'deal' from Rogers and is reluctant to switch. This Netflix throttling news might persuade him, since he uses it quite a bit.

I think it's fine, as long as you're doing it with the same store. Where I think it's wrong is when you take an Amazon order and return it to Futureshop, or something like that.

I'm on Teksavvy, and I've been noticing lately that my Netflix seems to switch quality a couple of times during a movie. Sometimes I only get 2 bars. I'm on the unlimited plan, so 15 mbps should be more than enough for the stream. I've never had problems when I was on Bell. Since Teksavvy uses Rogers lines for Cable, something is up.

Also, this hopefully will make Rogers explain themselves: CRTC gives Rogers until Sept 2nd to respond to throttling complaint

Edit: Alright, so the article states about World of Warcraft and other online games. Don't know if that will affect Netflix or not.

Deadly

Camilos said:

Code:
Cable Unlimited Option

Why's it different in each province? Especially in Quebec wtf...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For people who ordered Touchpads from NCIX - apparently if you ordered early enough, they'll be calling you to confirm your order.

I don't know how much of a 'deal' this is but I just picked up Super Monkey Ball 3D for $20 at my HMV during lunch.

Anyone in Winnipeg knows of any good cable/tv/internet/phone deals?

I'm with Shaw and I guess my promo deal is over. I used to pay $90 and now they want $160.

Feels bad mang.

krae_man

Firestorm said:
Good if you're in Ontario. You can get better prices off Telus and Shaw in BC.

Rogers just upped my cap.

I was originally paying $60/month for 10mbps and a 95gb cap. Then when Netflix came out, they changed it to 16mbps and a 80gb cap for new people and grandfathered me and everyone else already on that tier on the old speed and cap.

A couple of weeks ago they just changed the plan to 24mbps and a 120gb cap with no price increase. It's the only tier they changed. I have no idea why they changed it, but the speed bost and cap increase are welcomed.

firehawk12 said:
For people who ordered Touchpads from NCIX - apparently if you ordered early enough, they'll be calling you to confirm your order.

Wait what? My order is still "waiting for price verification". You mean I might get one? :O

Rocket Punch said:
I don't know how much of a 'deal' this is but I just picked up Super Monkey Ball 3D for $20 at my HMV during lunch.

Same price at FS.

firehawk12 said:

I wonder how early is early. I ordered on that Saturday afternoon and they haven't cancelled my order yet.

Lourio

Quoted from this month's pick-up thread...

Zing said:
HP is producing another run of them to "satisfy demand". I'm not sure what the point of intentionally selling a few thousand more at a loss is, but more power to them.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Patrick Roy said:

Why would they create more of something, at a loss, especially when they've discontinued support for it.

RS4-

Ugh, anyone come across sales for the Western Digital My Passport Essential? Just one of the smaller, compact WD external drives that usually retail for $90 and up.

Patrick Roy said:

it is true, and it's likely because their suppliers weren't notified ahead of time so they end up with an overload of touchpad components that they need to get rid of.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
krae_man said:
R
Wait what? My order is still "waiting for price verification". You mean I might get one? :O
DoctorWho said:
I wonder how early is early. I ordered on that Saturday afternoon and they haven't cancelled my order yet.
Yeah, people at RFD have said they got calls and confirmed shipping notices. I haven't gotten a call yet myself though.

TheExodu5

Banned
RS4- said:
Ugh, anyone come across sales for the Western Digital My Passport Essential? Just one of the smaller, compact WD external drives that usually retail for $90 and up.

The WD Elements SE 500GB drive is on for $60 at NewEgg (free shipping). The 1TB version was on sale for $80 at Dell last week.

edit: won't have USB 3.0 like the Passport, though.

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, people at RFD have said they got calls and confirmed shipping notices. I haven't gotten a call yet myself though.

I'm worried I'll be in the subway when they call and they will just pass me over.

RS4-

TheExodu5 said:
The WD Elements SE 500GB drive is on for $60 at NewEgg (free shipping). The 1TB version was on sale for $80 at Dell last week.

edit: won't have USB 3.0 like the Passport, though.

I can get the 1TB version of the Elements for $75 across the street at Pacific Mall, but I'd much rather prefer the smaller Passports version.

Granted, this is pretty much for ripping my damn Wii games to the HDD. I suppose 1TB is overkill as I'll most likely end up with only 20 games or so lol.

Fuzzy

Rocket Punch said:
$11.97 at Costco. Don't have a Costco membership? No problem, buy a membership for a year then cancel it right before it's up and you get a full refund for the membership. My brother did this July 2010 and cancelled June 2011 and got a full refund. Apparently a lot of people do this but he doesn't want to.

Fuzzy

September 2nd-8th flyers from CAG.

Walmart

160GB PS3 $249
320GB PS3 with inFamous 2 $299
PS3 controller $39
Modnation Racers, Infamous, GOW III & LBP $17.77
Resistance 3 $59.83
Resistance 3 move bundle $149.83

Kinect Sport $29
Kinect Carnival $29
Dead Island $49.83 Sept. 6th-8th only price
Space Marine $52 Sept. 6th-8th only price

RCSS Ontario

Resistance 3 $59.99

Zellers

Future Shop

Xbox 360 250gb w/ 5 game download coupon + Turtle Beach XL1 Earforce Headset $299

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302734

For sure there's more to come.

Also, don't forget that it's Labour Day weekend so BB and FS will have some sort of sale.

Fuzzy

Gamejunky said:
Never price matched before, would Futureshop price match something like this?
Some CSRs will give you a hard time because it's a limited time deal while others will just ring it through. Just bring in a copy of the flyer and try. If it fails then you could always go to Walmart.

DJ_Lae

Takao said:
No mention that every Blockbuster in Canada will be shut down?

Bah.

I'll miss my location, as I still prefer renting Blu-rays to any of the on-demand services as you get horrible compression artifacts in any action scene.

I guess I'll just be more selective about what Blu-rays I actually buy and skip watching movies I'm only curious about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom