• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Takao said:
The receiver said the closure process should begin in the next few days, and existing gift cards and rewards programs will no longer be accepted.
I feel sorry for anyone who still had some but they should have known to spend it all after the first wave of shutdowns happened in June.

Hey You

Takao said:
No mention that every Blockbuster in Canada will be shut down?
Really? I thought only some were, while others will stay open?

A few months ago, my local store just finished renovating.

Haven't been there in a while, but where will I have to go to pay off a $60 tab (forgot to return a game once? Will it just vanish or will they send someone to collect?

Not my blockbuster? Where will I rent my games now? Certainly not paying $60 for uncharted, gears or asscreed.

Edit: Wonder if they will have a clearance sale. Might as well pick up some anime DVDs they had sitting around there for years.

I preordered Zelda back at E3 from BB I think, but the controller package didnt exist at that time, I wonder if I can upgrade it, or if I should just cancel this one, and preorder the package.

DJ_Lae

Lostconfused said:
Not my blockbuster? Where will I rent my games now? Certainly not paying $60 for uncharted, gears or asscreed.

Same. I didn't rent a lot of games, but I was getting a good handful of movies a month and maybe one game, and having the opportunity to do that was great.

There are no Rogers video rental stores left here, and the last of the decent mom and pop stores closed down at the end of July.

It would be easier if Canada actually had a decent physical Gamefly/Netflix mail option.

krae_man

I tried to be proactive and call NCIX to see what's up and they told me to hang tight for the email/phone call.

*Fingers still crossed*

Tiktaalik

Nobiru said:
I preordered Zelda back at E3 from BB I think, but the controller package didnt exist at that time, I wonder if I can upgrade it, or if I should just cancel this one, and preorder the package.

Good question. I did the same back then.

I got urgent Best Buy questions, urgent because my certificates expire kind of soon.

1) Can I use 2 reward zone certificates at once? I have a $20 one and a $10 one.

2) Can I use them to get a 30 dollar gift card? Not sure what I want but I gotta use them asap.

castlegar

-Pyromaniac- said:
I got urgent Best Buy questions, urgent because my certificates expire kind of soon.

1) Can I use 2 reward zone certificates at once? I have a $20 one and a $10 one.

2) Can I use them to get a 30 dollar gift card? Not sure what I want but I gotta use them asap.

1) Yes
2) I don't see why not

Fuzzy

-Pyromaniac- said:

1) Yes.

2) No. It specifically says you can't use them to get gift cards. You can use them to get iTunes/PSN/XBL/Nintendo points cards though.

Reward Zone™ program Certificates may not be redeemed for discounts off the following items: prior purchases, purchase of Gift Cards, or as payment on any Best Buy credit card. Other exclusions may apply.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/reward-zone/program-rules.aspx

Yeah on one hand I don't see why I couldn't, but you never know with these random store policies, I thought they might let you use it for whatever you want EXCEPT a gift card.

edit: and there you go lol, guess you can't. FML.

Nobiru said:
Tiktaalik said:
Good question. I did the same back then.
I'm pretty sure you can, as long as its not 2 weeks or so before release. I tried to do it for Monster Hunter tri- 2 weeks before it was released, and they wouldn't let me due to the game already shipping to the store. I changed my pre-order on my 3DS (just to make sure I got the Black 3DS) and they let me change it. So change the pre-order sooner then later. I'm going out Saturday to change my pre-order, if you guys would like to know before you try, I'll confirm whether or not I was able to change it or not.

Shit I just looked and I have more certificates than I thought lol. I don't even want these.

Anyone here want to buy 2 certificates from me? I have two 20s and two 10s. I'm gonna use 1 of each myself tomorrow but I seriously don't want the other 2.

I'll sell them for 15-20% off if anyone here wants, so 24-25 bucks, whatever, for 30 bucks in certificates total. Not bad if you plan on getting something anyway. 1 of them expires October 1st, the other ($10) expires November something.

sikkinixx

Anyone know any deals on XBL point cards? My gf wants the new Deathspank and typical MS crap, can't buy 1200 points (still bugs me 5 years in).

And does anyone know, with Deus Ex PC retail, do we get the OnLive key too? Or only USA? I would kinda like to use the thing I got at PAX.

snorggy

Ondore

Hey HaliGAF, question for you: Is there a store in the city that does preordering besides the various Gamestop/EB and The Last Gamestore (which isn't preordering Solatorobo)?

gabbo

DJ_Lae said:
Same. I didn't rent a lot of games, but I was getting a good handful of movies a month and maybe one game, and having the opportunity to do that was great.

There are no Rogers video rental stores left here, and the last of the decent mom and pop stores closed down at the end of July.

It would be easier if Canada actually had a decent physical Gamefly/Netflix mail option.
I'm assuming you don't qualify Zip as decent?

DJ_Lae

gabbo said:

They all suffer from being in Ontario or Quebec (I think Zip is Ontario), and the wait to get stuff over in Victoria is ridiculous.

gabbo said:
Is Zip actually good? I have 4 free months from my Blu-Ray player (wasn't gonna use it), but if they're actually decent, I may give it a shot. Also, I'd like to know if they have a wide variety in dvds?

-Pyromaniac- said:
Shit I just looked and I have more certificates than I thought lol. I don't even want these.

Anyone here want to buy 2 certificates from me? I have two 20s and two 10s. I'm gonna use 1 of each myself tomorrow but I seriously don't want the other 2.

I'll sell them for 15-20% off if anyone here wants, so 24-25 bucks, whatever, for 30 bucks in certificates total. Not bad if you plan on getting something anyway. 1 of them expires October 1st, the other ($10) expires November something.
You need the RZ card/account when you redeem.

One loophole you can use is that RZ certificates are treated as cash, so if you return the item you bought, you'll get the certificate amount refunded as cash. For example, buy a $50 item with $30 in certificates, pay $20, return and get $50 back.

Do you really need it the RZ account? I've given it to friends before and they've used it. They just scan it at the cash register and it applies. Pretty sure they didn't ask them for anything.

Also all the times I've redeemed it was the same, they just took the paper scanned it and that was it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
-Pyromaniac- said:
Do you really need it the RZ account? I've given it to friends before and they've used it. They just scan it at the cash register and it applies. Pretty sure they didn't ask them for anything.

Also all the times I've redeemed it was the same, they just took the paper scanned it and that was it.
They always check for me...you never know

firehawk12 said:
Does Gameaccess.ca suck or something?

I've never used them myself.
I really like them but you have to realize that with any sort of queue system service like this you might not get exactly what you want, when you want it.

I only use the service for games I am not interested in buying right off the hop, which tend to be games I don't consider "must plays" within specific time frames. As a result, I have a queue of a rather significant size that I'll probably never realistically get entirely through. But what I do get is stuff I'm definitely interested in trying that isn't time sensitive.

I realize this isn't exactly the norm for what people use this sort of service for, but if you realize that you might not always get something in your top 5 and are fine with that then I think it's a wonderful service. I've been with them for 4 years and change now.

Deadly said:
I thought Canada only had 1200 and 2400 points cards? Since its 19.99 and 39.99 respectively.

Right prices, wrong point amounts.

20 bucks for 1400 point cards, 40 bucks for 2800 point ones.

Which still leaves us with a higher cost/point than the Yanks, and that's even before factoring in differences in exchange from now compared to when this pricing scheme started close to half a decade ago.

Gonna have to grab a new card myself for Skydrift and Silvergun this month.

-------------------------------

My own question now, if I may.

Anyone know where to grab a TE stick of any flavour in Canada? Looking for a 360 one (that I can subsequently modify to work with PS3). I have been shmupping along fine but between Sine Mora's upcoming release, DiaFukkatsu in November and the fuckawful nature of the pad for 3rd Strike, I'm finally biting the bullet.

I don't care if the Chun-li edition or whatever, was gonna replace the art anyway. Pointers to places that ship here would be awesome, though. All I find is big old piles of nothing.

Fuzzy

Lone_Prodigy said:
You need the RZ card/account when you redeem.
I've never had to produce a card (I don't even have one) or the phone number associated with my account in order to use my certificates.

Fuzzy

Here are the rest of the Flyers for September 2-8 from CAG.

Future Shop

Resistance 3 $59.99 or Trade in 2 also when you buy R3 get $10 towards Uncharted 3
Resistance 3 move bundle $149.99 Trad in 4 get it free

Save on Hot new games. Buy 2 save $20. Buy 3 save $30:
Driver SF $59.99 or trade in 2
Warhammer Space Marine $59.99 or Trade in 2
Dead Island $59.99 each or Trade 2

Metriod other M $9.99
Lego Harry Potter $19.99
LA Noire $39.99
Crysis 2 $39.99
EA Golf $39.99
Call of Jarez Cartel $39.99
Homefront $39.99
Mortal Kombat $49.99
Fear 3 $49.99
Green Lantern $49.99

Gears 3 $59.99 Preorder with Bandaids!
NHL 12 Pre-order with Steelbook case!

Buy Two Value ($19.99) game & save $10 over 100 to choose from

4GB 360 with Kinect + a $50 gift card $299.99

Trade in 5 game get a 8GB iPod touch futureshop.ca/tradeingames for details

Best Buy

160GB PS3 $249.99
320GB PS3 with inFamous 2 $299
PS3 greatest hits 2 for $40 Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, LBP, Uncharted, GOW III & Mod Nation Racers
Uncharted 1 & 2 double pack for $39.99
Socom 4 $39.99
MLB the show $39.99
Motorstorm Apocalypse $39.99
Resistance 3 $59.99 or Trade in 3
Resistance 3 move bundle $149.99
PSP 3000 with Maden 12 & NFS Shift $159.99

Buy 2 save $20 on this weeks hot new releases Available Sept 6th
Dead Island $59.99 Trade in 3
Space Marine $59.99 Trade in 3
Driver $59.99 Trade in 3
Sims medieval $29.99

LA Noire $39.99
Madden 12 $59.99

250GB 360 with Gears triple pack $299.99

Pre-order Gears of War 3 and get 800 RZ points and a free Hat!
NHL 12 Get 800 RZ Points

Planet Earth Blu Ray $34.99
Scarface BR $24.99

The other stores can be seen in my previous post.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30563525&postcount=1293

iphys

Ondore said:
Hey HaliGAF, question for you: Is there a store in the city that does preordering besides the various Gamestop/EB and The Last Gamestore (which isn't preordering Solatorobo)?

I usually only shop online, but maybe BestBuy? I notice all the buses keep advertising there's a new BestBuy in Halifax.

Takao

Banned
iphys said:
I usually only shop online, but maybe BestBuy? I notice all the buses keep advertising there's a new BestBuy in Halifax.

Seems like he's looking for Solatorobo, would they even carry that?

ColonelSkills said:
Anyone know where to grab a TE stick of any flavour in Canada? Looking for a 360 one (that I can subsequently modify to work with PS3). I have been shmupping along fine but between Sine Mora's upcoming release, DiaFukkatsu in November and the fuckawful nature of the pad for 3rd Strike, I'm finally biting the bullet.

I don't care if the Chun-li edition or whatever, was gonna replace the art anyway. Pointers to places that ship here would be awesome, though. All I find is big old piles of nothing.

I think I read that Mad Catz isn't shipping SE & TE sticks to Canada anymore. I had to buy one off eBay a few months back and a friend is in the same boat as you. Craigslist/Kijiji/eBay. You can always check the Arcade Stick thread as people occasionally sell sticks there.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207393&page=165

Edit: I should have specified that I meant Canadian stores, not individuals. You could buy one at the link below, but will have a hard/impossible time finding one in a brick & mortar.

vulva

ColonelSkills said:
-------------------------------

http://gamesharkstore.ca/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=274

not featured there also on the same site http://gamesharkstore.ca/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=408

Anth0ny

Fuzzy said:
Metriod other M $9.99

HOLY BOMBA

They're selling shit like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk for $10. They must really want to get rid of their Other M stock :lol

Speaking of bombas, Child of Eden is $10 in the US. Anything like that over here? I kinda wanted to try it after listening to the 8-4 podcast.

Firestorm

Anth0ny said:
HOLY BOMBA

They're selling shit like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk for $10. They must really want to get rid of their Other M stock :lol

Speaking of bombas, Child of Eden is $10 in the US. Anything like that over here? I kinda wanted to try it after listening to the 8-4 podcast.
Other M has actually been $10 on one or two occasions already :p

gabbo

IceDoesntHelp said:
Is Zip actually good? I have 4 free months from my Blu-Ray player (wasn't gonna use it), but if they're actually decent, I may give it a shot. Also, I'd like to know if they have a wide variety in dvds?

4 months free? I'd give it a shot, especially if they give the free month trial on top of your offer. Selection is pretty good (some foreign films, and really small indie films can be hit or miss). It will really depend on i)how far you live from their distribution centres ii)how in demand a title is (each title will state what the blu-ray/dvd availability is on its page), iii)your rental plan. It's no Netflix in terms of pricing, but it's cheaper than going to a Rogers or Blockbuster every week.

Haven't had any issues with them myself on my 2 dvd/unlimited plan.

DJ_Lae said:
They all suffer from being in Ontario or Quebec (I think Zip is Ontario), and the wait to get stuff over in Victoria is ridiculous.
Zip has distribution places in Calgary and Vancouver, so Victoria shouldn't be too bad, should it? I don't know the distance between the two off hand.

Solune

ColonelSkills said:

Already been answered by a few but you can also get them from Canada-Cup. http://canadacupgaming.myshopify.com/collections/all

xclaw

Fuzzy said:
September 2nd-8th flyers from CAG.

Walmart

PS3 controller $39

FYI only for Black, Silver and Blue. Pink still rings up at 54.99 and they won't honor it. :(

I even tried to hit up GameStop next door for a price match but they said they don't price match sales..... heh, I might try Futureshop after work.

DJ_Lae

Picked up Modnation Racers at Walmart this morning - it was priced incorrectly, though, so I got it for $15. It's only a few bucks off the sale price as an apology, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Now to let my PS3 run for an hour or two downloading and installing updates, and then installing the game itself. Man, I'm glad console games aren't like PC games.

gabbo said:
Zip has distribution places in Calgary and Vancouver, so Victoria shouldn't be too bad, should it? I don't know the distance between the two off hand.

Oh, okay, if there's a center in Vancouver then it should be fine. If there's a trial I'll have to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom