• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheExodu5 said:
What would even be worth picking up at Blockbuster? It says the clearance starts at 15% off...that really doesn't seem worth getting worked up over.

Too true, still, there will probably be huge lines of RFD hoarders. I want to pick up some anime and used games, but i have no idea how much they will discount the rental games.

TheExodu5

Banned
Video game systems can be returned to Walmart. Only software cannot. If the game system is bundled with software, make sure not to open it if you want to be safe.

Magnus said:
Two more copies of Metroid: Other M at FS Yonge and Eglinton, $10, last day.

Fuck, I was just there at 1pm. Didn't bother to look.

Not that I really want it anyways. It's a good deal.

ShaneB

I know internet providers get talked about in this thread, so I figured i'll ask again about Teksavvy. I'll be switching soon, I'm just wondering what seems to be the most common preference for the service? dsl? cable? I was thinking the high speed dsl 12 pack, but just wondering what others think.

ShaneB said:
I know internet providers get talked about in this thread, so I figured i'll ask again about Teksavvy. I'll be switching soon, I'm just wondering what seems to be the most common preference for the service? dsl? cable? I was thinking the high speed dsl 12 pack, but just wondering what others think.
cable is easily better. It's cheaper, better speeds (make sure you get a docsis 3.0 modem), and there is less gambling. With DSL you might be fine for a while then all of a sudden for some reason no one can explain you'll be unable to connect to a high profile and they'll lower the speed.

The only problem cable is having right now is a bit of a congestion problem, but it will get resolved and it's not too bad. I've had both and for me it's a no brainer to go with cable.

AAK

I've saved up around $500 this summer and I really want to get into PC gaming. Been a PS3 gamer all this time and I'm a complete PC noob about what makes a good hardware and such. I already have a monitor and stuff, just strictly for the PC what are some good deals I can get for it. I don't need it to be too powerful, but it'd be nice to play games like Portal 2, Dota 2 in relatively good settings & SSF4AE, DMC4 in Maximum settings... but I guess that's asking for too much considering my budget.

I looked at the Need a new PC 2011 thread and it's really overwhelming / and I'm really Lazy to research on everything there individually :p.

AAK said:
I've saved up around $500 this summer and I really want to get into PC gaming. Been a PS3 gamer all this time and I'm a complete PC noob about what makes a good hardware and such. I already have a monitor and stuff, just strictly for the PC what are some good deals I can get for it. I don't need it to be too powerful, but it'd be nice to play games like Portal 2, Dota 2 in relatively good settings & SSF4AE, DMC4 in Maximum settings... but I guess that's asking for too much considering my budget.

I looked at the Need a new PC 2011 thread and it's really overwhelming / and I'm really Lazy to research on everything there individually :p.
I'm too lazy to help with specifics, besides someone else probably knows better but 1 thing you will need to know is ncix.com + price matching.

TheExodu5

Banned
AAK said:

Post in the PC thread. Someone will help you out.

$500 might be a little tight if you need Windows, but with your needs, I think it's attainable, at least before taxes.

StevieP

Banned
AAK said:

Get an i5 2500k/motherboard bundle from places like NCIX.

Pick almost any hard drive (as long as it's not "green" or "lp" or any of the lower RPM models).

Heck, here you go.

Case: $99 Antec Sonata III with half-decent 500w PSU: http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24294&vpn=SONATA III 500&manufacture=Antec&promoid=1371

MB/CPU: i5 2500k and MSI P67 $299 - http://ncix.com/products/index.php?...67A-C43&manufacture=Bundle Deals&promoid=1371 (note, the motherboard cannot do dual-GPU SLI/Xfire, you'll have to step up an extra $30-50 for one that can)

8GB DDR3: Mushkin Stiletto 1333 $35 - http://ncix.com/products/?sku=55544&vpn=996770&manufacture=Mushkin Enhanced&promoid=1371

500gb Seagate 7200RPM HD: $40 http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=63468&vpn=ST500DM002&manufacture=Seagate&promoid=1371

That leaves you with $25 for a videocard... which unfortunately isn't much. Portal and Dota would do well with a <$50 videocard, but when the rest of your parts are as good as that, you should really kick up the budget to $600 and get something midrange. For instance,

GTX 550 - $105 http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=59445&vpn=GV-N550OC-1GI&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1371

or the better

ATI 6850: $135 http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=58225&vpn=GV-R685OC-1GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1371

Note: if you don't already have a copy of Windows 7 you can use - add $130.
Extra note: taxes not in, a couple MIR (at least $40 worth) in there as well. If you really can't go past the $500 budget (and with today's economy that's understandable) you'll have to go i3 or AMD.

AAK

Wow, thanks for the reply!

I'm still a student, so I do have access to MSDN and I should be able to get Windows 7 from there. :)

StevieP

Banned
AAK said:
Wow, thanks for the reply!

I'm still a student, so I do have access to MSDN and I should be able to get Windows 7 from there. :)

Forgot to mention - if you're nervous in regards to PC assembly and don't have access to someone that does it, you can add an additional $50 for NCIX to assemble and test it for you. It is, however, a good learning process to build one.

Edit: also of note - a 500gb HD is cheaper, but not as good in a price-per-gb sense as a 1TB or 2TB drive. (i.e. you can get 1TB 7200RPM hard drives for $53 and a 3TB 7200RPM HD for $100).

TheExodu5

Banned
With a $500 budget, he's probably best to stick with an H61 motherboard and i3 2100. Or maybe the Biostar P67 motherboard and i3 2100, offering a bit better upgrade path.

The 6850 at $135 is a solid buy. Don't go with anything less.

Do not buy a Sonata III. It is hugely outdated and overpriced. Get a HAF912 and OCZ ModXtream (currently on sale) for less. Much better combo.

AAK

I can definitely save a bit more this month and move up to 600 if the pay off is that much better. Thanks again for all the replies guys :) Much appreciated.

Also, these individual parts do come with tutorials on how to assemble them right, or will I have to depend on online guides mainly.

StevieP

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
With a $500 budget, he's probably best to stick with an H61 motherboard and i3 2100. Or maybe the Biostar P67 motherboard and i3 2100, offering a bit better upgrade path.

The 6850 at $135 is a solid buy. Don't go with anything less.

True. With a $600 budget, however, he's got a computer easily overclockable to 5Ghz on its stock cooler. And even at its stock rates and a 6850 you can run most games at 1080p with everything cranked, Dolphin emulation included. The difference between $500 and $600 is pretty staggering, is what I'm saying. If he can, I would recommend the extra hundred be saved.

Do not buy a Sonata III. It is hugely outdated and overpriced. Get a HAF912 and OCZ ModXtream (currently on sale) for less. Much better combo.

ModXstream is $55 after a $25 rebate, and the HAF 912 is (a better case) also $55. But the Sonata III is a no-nonsense case. "Plain but it works" kinda deal. The PS inside the Sonata is also OK. I haven't had any experience with ModXStreams however.

Also, these individual parts do come with tutorials on how to assemble them right, or will I have to depend on online guides mainly.

The motherboard manual usually shows you how to stick the CPU and cooler in, as does the CPU manual. But they are both woefully inadequate instructions. There is a lot more to it than those rudimentary guides (they don't even touch where the power plugs go, etc). It's not that difficult, but... Youtube would provide you with a much better guide than them. So would asking friends that have assembled PCs before, and have experience with it (having them monitor you or something).

ShaneB

-Pyromaniac- said:
cable is easily better. It's cheaper, better speeds (make sure you get a docsis 3.0 modem), and there is less gambling. With DSL you might be fine for a while then all of a sudden for some reason no one can explain you'll be unable to connect to a high profile and they'll lower the speed.

The only problem cable is having right now is a bit of a congestion problem, but it will get resolved and it's not too bad. I've had both and for me it's a no brainer to go with cable.

Thanks for the reply. I've been on dsl for years, and never really had a problem, hence my questioning.

The prices certainly look more appealing, so It's looking like I'll go that way. Also, what it this docsis modem? I'm not seeing in on their list on their website.

Firestorm

PalaceBrother said:
A word of warning to unsuspecting bargain hunters: The Playbook is not a great tablet. The OS feels very sluggish and unresponsive. I enjoy browsing on my iPhone more, despite the screen size.

Just keep that in mind if you're going to shell out $200 for the 16gb model...I wouldn't even pay $100 for it.

This is just my opinion though....others may love the device. Feel free to chime in.
I never really had a problem with the OS being sluggish or unresponsive although browsing on one forum sometimes gave me issues (I think there were some odd scripts running). I usually used my PlayBook for music and comics when I had it though. It worked wonderfully for those. At $100 - $200 I think it's a solid choice although absolutely would not recommend at $500. Then again, I bought a $150 TouchPad so a tablet with a future for $50 more doesn't seem too bad :p

Kunohara

ShaneB said:
Thanks for the reply. I've been on dsl for years, and never really had a problem, hence my questioning.

The prices certainly look more appealing, so It's looking like I'll go that way. Also, what it this docsis modem? I'm not seeing in on their list on their website.

It's the $99 one. I have Teksavvy on cable as well, and have had no problems with their service. Rogers has recently upped their speeds, so we might be getting those speeds as well (since Teksavvy uses Rogers lines for cable).

Kunohara said:
It's the $99 one. I have Teksavvy on cable as well, and have had no problems with their service. Rogers has recently upped their speeds, so we might be getting those speeds as well (since Teksavvy uses Rogers lines for cable).
yeah, the speed should kick in for teksavvy users sometime in the near future but it will probably be only for people with those types of modems.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone heading down to BBV tomorrow morning?

I noticed Red Steel 2 was $14.99 when I checked last week. 15% off means no tax. Most stores have it at $19.99 or $24.99. I think I'll be waiting for 50-70% off before I get anything else.

Kazerei

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

I noticed Red Steel 2 was $14.99 when I checked last week. 15% off means no tax. Most stores have it at $19.99 or $24.99. I think I'll be waiting for 50-70% off before I get anything else.

I bought the bundle with MotionPlus attachment for $9.99 at Wal-Mart.

If you happen to be in Waterloo ON, last week there was one copy left at Ira Needles & University Ave.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kazerei said:

Oh. That's very interesting. Thanks. I knew it had a 9.99 sale somewhere at some point, but I didn't know that any major retailer reliably stocked it.

If you happen to be in Waterloo ON, last week there was one copy left at Ira Needles & University Ave.

Off by a few thousand KM, but thanks!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Stumpokapow said:

Gonna go tomorrow before school, since I have a BB within walking distance. Not even sure what I want, may just pick up a points card or something. My local BB doesn't have much, and their selection is usually pitiful anyways.

They open at 10am tomorrow right? And then 12 am from Mon afterwards?

Kazerei

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Off by a few thousand KM, but thanks!

Eh, it was worth a try :)

BTW, the new wave of t-shirt designs is up

kazerei-01alt2-gildan-light-351.png

krae_man

Kazerei said:

Jesus, Waterloo GAF keeps growing by the day. We're gonna take over soon.
I think Ira Needles and University is technically in Kitchener

Firestorm

Yay shirt!
krae_man said:
I left so -1 as of a few days ago :p

Man, where is this next week of deals?! No one has posted them on RFD!!

I need to know now that BB is sold out of Dead Island and I didnt buy it :(

Got them off CAG.

Walmart

NHL 12 $59.83

X-Men First Class Blu Ray $24.93

Side note: The Walmart Anniversary sale should be coming up next week or the week after.

RCSS

NHL 12 $59.99

Best Buy

NHL 11 $59.99 or trade in 3, pre -order and get 800 RZ points
Starfox 64 3D $39.99 or trade 2 (minimum $8)

250GB 360 with Gears triple pack $299.99
Gunslinger $39.99
GEARS 3 pre-order and get 800 RZ points and a free hat!

Toys R Us
Thanks AndyTwobeats

NHL 12 $59.99
3DS $169.99 free stylus pack and $10 gift card when you also buy Star Fox 64 $39.99
All Lego Video games $5 off excludes Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
Lego Star Wars III Clone wars $14.97 (Perfect my Son's Birthday is in a few weeks :)
Mario Kart Wii $149.99 add Kirby Epic Yarn for $10
2 for $30 all Wii Nintendo Select games.

320GB PS3 with infamous and HDMI cable $299.99
Save $20 when you buy any of these PS3 accessories. Move, navigator, chat pad and controller

20% off sonic (neon green) Nerf items
Major markup on the Star Wars FX Lightsaber $49.99...Walmart has it for $39.99...But it's $35 in the US :roll:
Trade in any old board game and get $5 coupon redeemable on any $9.67 hasbro Game

UberTag

krae_man said:
Firestorm said:
I left so -1 as of a few days ago :p
There's still 3 of us left. We can still repopulate.

krae_man said:
Kitchener and Waterloo are practically the same city. No need to be technical.

RS4-

Ugh, my net with TS has been off since last night, 2 am. Rogers is taking their times with repairs or something. Was on tech support for 90 mins since they were trying to figure out what was going on

Blackhead

Redarse
PalaceBrother said:
A word of warning to unsuspecting bargain hunters: The Playbook is not a great tablet. The OS feels very sluggish and unresponsive. I enjoy browsing on my iPhone more, despite the screen size.

Just keep that in mind if you're going to shell out $200 for the 16gb model...I wouldn't even pay $100 for it.

This is just my opinion though....others may love the device. Feel free to chime in.
I'm with Firestorm on this one; I didn't find the device sluggish or unresponsive back when I had it—and that was before the first updates arrived iirc. My problem was the lack of apps and the fuckwits at AT&T. If some resellers pass this on at reasonable prices i might just get one for myself.
Kunohara said:
-Pyromaniac- said:
yeah, the speed should kick in for teksavvy users sometime in the near future but it will probably be only for people with those types of modems.
I just directed a friend to TekSavvy dry loop. She doesn't mind paying the highest prices for great service (DSL 25). Can/should she get in on this cable deal?

Firestorm said:
I never really had a problem with the OS being sluggish or unresponsive although browsing on one forum sometimes gave me issues (I think there were some odd scripts running). I usually used my PlayBook for music and comics when I had it though. It worked wonderfully for those. At $100 - $200 I think it's a solid choice although absolutely would not recommend at $500. Then again, I bought a $150 TouchPad so a tablet with a future for $50 more doesn't seem too bad :p

That's interesting...I wonder if they OS has been updated since the initial release. Good to know it's more usable than I thought. I will admit that I love the backing material.

I'd be wary of calling it a "tablet with a future" though ;)

I just got back from Blockbuster but didn't pick anything up. Point cards were long gone but there was still a really big selection of rental/used/new games for sale (for all three consoles). If you're near one it may be worthwhile to stop by today.

It was strange walking out of the store knowing that it would be the last time.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, was about to ask if anyone went to BB today.

I was going to go today, but then I remembered the last thing I need right now is to be spending money on frivolous shit.

How many people were down there? Lots?

Luigi87

Dammit Best Buy, ship my Starfox 64 3D order I placed back during E3 already >.<
This is the one reason I absolute hate pre-ordering at BB/FS.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mikey Jr. said:

I was going to go today, but then I remembered the last thing I need right now is to be spending money on frivolous shit.

5x more than usual in mine, but that's not saying much.

A lot of hoarders and/or big spenders this morning.

Nothing too particularly tempting for me though. 15% off the 20$ games isn't that exciting. It's 15% off all game related stuff at my BBV, nothing more than that.

What day does the 40% discount kick in? Monday, or when?

Mikey Jr. said:

There were probably 10-15 people in the store. There was a mother with an armload of PS3 titles but aside from that no obvious hoarders. 15% off of the games is probably not enough of an incentive to get people out in droves.

SpaceBridge said:
I wouldnt mind picking up el Shaddai for cheap if possible.

Also, I rented a movie last week, do I still return it?

Only if you dont want debt collectors knocking on your door in 6 months.

Greyface said:
I'm with Firestorm on this one; I didn't find the device sluggish or unresponsive back when I had it—and that was before the first updates arrived iirc. My problem was the lack of apps and the fuckwits at AT&T. If some resellers pass this on at reasonable prices i might just get one for myself.

I just directed a friend to TekSavvy dry loop. She doesn't mind paying the highest prices for great service (DSL 25). Can/should she get in on this cable deal?
if she is VERY happy with DSL and doesn't care about the price difference then stay, but otherwise I'd personally switch to cable. To me it's just always been more reliably in the long run, more consistent. The speed is still great and it will only get better.

Just me though. Also of the two evils, bell is a lot worse, so I'm always against supporting them.

Luigi87 said:
Dammit Best Buy, ship my Starfox 64 3D order I placed back during E3 already >.<
This is the one reason I absolute hate pre-ordering at BB/FS.

I'm planning on buying those E3 BB/FS orders in store on the day of release and then returning the shipped copy when it shows up for a refund. That way I still get the game on day 1 but also get my discount.

Luigi87

DoctorWho said:
I'm planning on buying those E3 BB/FS orders in store on the day of release and then returning the shipped copy when it shows up for a refund. That way I still get the game on day 1 but also get my discount.

That's what I've been considering doing myself (and will have to do with Skyward Sword, what with Sunday release and all).

I'm just a tad bothered that BB has my order listed as one shipment still (Starfox and Luigi's Mansion 2), where as at least with FS, each game was immediately listed as three separate shipments back in June.

StevieP

Banned
UberTag said:
There's still 3 of us left. We can still repopulate.

Kitchener and Waterloo are practically the same city. No need to be technical.

As someone who DJs in Kitchener weekly and is privy to the types of people that live downtown, I can tell you with certainty that they are NOT the same city despite their proximity :lol

That's what I've been considering doing myself (and will have to do with Skyward Sword, what with Sunday release and all).

I'm just a tad bothered that BB has my order listed as one shipment still (Starfox and Luigi's Mansion 2), where as at least with FS, each game was immediately listed as three separate shipments back in June.

Mine is the same.... damn you BB! *shakes fist in air*

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kunohara said:
I just hate that BB/FS/Amazon don't have release day shipping. If one of them did, i would buy from them constantly.
Doesn't Amazon/Amazon Prime?

Also asking again, what day do the 40% discounts start? Monday?

ShaneB

Kunohara said:

Sounds good to me, guess I'm going with the cable options, thanks!

Also, time to wonder where to get Gears 3. Maybe I'll get it at Best Buy, having a gears tuque would be neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom