• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Lae

DreamMachine said:
Just walked into walmart this morning and picked up a ps3 CE. Although the strategy guide is no where to be found

It's digital, unfortunately. They really neutered the CE from what it originally was.

frequency

Amazon.ca has been getting progressively worse for me. They used to ship stuff on the Tuesday, and I'd get it on the Thursday. Everything ships pretty much at least a week late now from them. Their packaging has gotten really bad too. They used to ship to me in nice sturdy cardboard, now stuff comes in useless bubble envelopes.

I'll probably stop using them and go back to brick and mortar shopping. I could use GameStop.ca, as they seem to ship stuff on time (though still on the release day, so I get it a couple days late). But their site is so shitty...
Also considering just using VGP as they seem to be excellent with shipping stuff out and CE/LEs and stuff. But they ship using Canada Post, which takes like 4 days at least to get to me as opposed to 2 from Purolator/UPS.
FutureShop and BestBuy I will only use if it's an awesome deal (like the E3 stuff). I have the worst experience with them. My last 2 orders shipped like 2 weeks late.

It's sad when I constantly hear about how awesome Amazon.com is.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BB shipped my Dark Souls order. But of course, it's via Purolator.

It's such a pain. It looks like all orders made during the strike are shipping via Purolator, even though the strike is of course, long over. What a stupid system.

Smo21

ok so future shop sent my Ce Dark souls out at like 4. Mail man stops delivering around then so it never got on a truck. Should be getting here tomorrow.

edit
I pre ordered on the 27th of September. Honestly makes no sense to me that I'm prolly gonna get it before people who ordered it during e3.

Wait, people actually had their orders shipped from Best Buy and Future Shop? Still waiting here and I preordered during the E3 sales. :/

Spike

frequency said:
Amazon.ca has been getting progressively worse for me. They used to ship stuff on the Tuesday, and I'd get it on the Thursday. Everything ships pretty much at least a week late now from them. Their packaging has gotten really bad too. They used to ship to me in nice sturdy cardboard, now stuff comes in useless bubble envelopes.

I'll probably stop using them and go back to brick and mortar shopping. I could use GameStop.ca, as they seem to ship stuff on time (though still on the release day, so I get it a couple days late). But their site is so shitty...
Also considering just using VGP as they seem to be excellent with shipping stuff out and CE/LEs and stuff. But they ship using Canada Post, which takes like 4 days at least to get to me as opposed to 2 from Purolator/UPS.
FutureShop and BestBuy I will only use if it's an awesome deal (like the E3 stuff). I have the worst experience with them. My last 2 orders shipped like 2 weeks late.

It's sad when I constantly hear about how awesome Amazon.com is.

Yup, Amazon.ca is pretty useless to me now. I mean, I live 10 minutes away from their facility, and when I used to order, I would get my package the next morning via Canada Post. Now, they don't ship the items out until at the least 3-4 days after I've placed my order.

Back to brick and mortar for me...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Leshita said:
Wait, people actually had their orders shipped from Best Buy and Future Shop? Still waiting here and I preordered during the E3 sales. :/
If you ordered from FS make sure it's not stuck in a shipment with other games. Many of us went through this with our E3 orders because they lumped some games together and others separately.

NolbertoS

Feel bad for you Canucks that rely on BB, Futureshop and Amazon.ca for games. I'm fortunate enough to own a mailbox across the US border, so I order off BB USA, Gamestop USA and Amazon.com, I always get my order within 2 business days from most of those sites, but with the Canadian dollar getting lower again, might have to sniff up bargain up north for games, if there's even anything left to buy here, as most games are ridiculously overpriced up north.

WEGGLES

NolbertoS said:
Feel bad for you Canucks that rely on BB, Futureshop and Amazon.ca for games. I'm fortunate enough to own a mailbox across the US border, so I order off BB USA, Gamestop USA and Amazon.com, I always get my order within 2 business days from most of those sites, but with the Canadian dollar getting lower again, might have to sniff up bargain up north for games, if there's even anything left to buy here, as most games are ridiculously overpriced up north.
My dad has a US P.O. box, but I avoid using it... it costs $5 to go to the US and back and takes about 10 mins each way if not more to cross...

My dad got an email from the mail box company saying a parcel was in for him from Amazon. He had ordered stuff for work from Amazon, so he left work to go get them... WOOPS. It was Little Big Planet 2. He was a little annoyed.

So with FS offering free shipping on orders over $20, I usually just order games in Canada, unless it's an amazing deal or w.e. Then I am sure to let him know what I ordered, from where and when it's coming in.

Firestorm

NolbertoS said:
I'm gonna repeat what I've told you for about 5 years now and say that's bullshit =P Our deals on old games might not compare to the US, but I'd much rather be Canadian for new game deals. The old days of Trade 3 for Free and Rogers 2 for $40 and now Gaming Guarantees, Power Trades, and of course that E3 Future Shop / Best Buy promo have kept me pretty damn happy.

Fuzzy said:
If you ordered from FS make sure it's not stuck in a shipment with other games. Many of us went through this with our E3 orders because they lumped some games together and others separately.
Mine was a standalone order. I just checked and my order back from June has been charged so it should be shipping tonight or tomorrow. :)
I am hoping that it will be like my other orders and ship from the BC warehouse so I can get it on the same day or day after.

xanavi

So I just received Dark Souls from my BB pre-order that I placed during the E3 promotion. I ordered it as a regular edition back then and it came as a collectors edition so I'm quite satisfied. Total was $49.71 after everything so I really can't complain; having the free upgrade compound on top of the pre-order promotion price is a great bonus.

SickBoy

Firestorm said:
I'm gonna repeat what I've told you for about 5 years now and say that's bullshit =P Our deals on old games might not compare to the US, but I'd much rather be Canadian for new game deals. The old days of Trade 3 for Free and Rogers 2 for $40 and now Gaming Guarantees, Power Trades, and of course that E3 Future Shop / Best Buy promo have kept me pretty damn happy.

I'll go ahead and repeat something I've said before, too. I think the Canadian market has made huge leaps in terms of competitiveness and it's paying off for gamers. While so many people hate them, I give a lot of credit to EB Games/Gamestop's entry into the market for driving things in this direction.

Before their arrival, Canadian stores lacked the breadth of selection or the willingness to mark down that you see in their U.S. counterparts. There's still no Target clearance endcap (please bring this practice north, Target), but whether it's the EB influence or some other issue, it's much rarer today than it used to be to see the same game that no one's bought for the past six months at $60 staying on the shelves for another six months for that same $60.

Smo21

Canada post is listing dark souls as delivered at 6:30am. No one showed up. I'm hoping it's on a truck or something and I'll get it. Really hope they didn't mis ship or lose it.

WEGGLES

http://twitter.com/#!/FS_Gamer/status/121643852619726848

7WBQA.gif

Spike said:
Back to brick and mortar for me...

That isn't really better. Most of us jumped off the brick and mortar store BECAUSE they sucked.

This is like trying to go up on a down escalator. You think you're getting better service, but it's just going down down down.

radiantdreamer said:
That isn't really better. Most of us jumped off the brick and mortar store BECAUSE they sucked.

This is like trying to go up on a down escalator. You think you're getting better service, but it's just going down down down.
But you can at least get your games in a timely manner. Instead of several weeks later.

SickBoy said:
I'll go ahead and repeat something I've said before, too. I think the Canadian market has made huge leaps in terms of competitiveness and it's paying off for gamers. While so many people hate them, I give a lot of credit to EB Games/Gamestop's entry into the market for driving things in this direction.

Before their arrival, Canadian stores lacked the breadth of selection or the willingness to mark down that you see in their U.S. counterparts. There's still no Target clearance endcap (please bring this practice north, Target), but whether it's the EB influence or some other issue, it's much rarer today than it used to be to see the same game that no one's bought for the past six months at $60 staying on the shelves for another six months for that same $60.

The trading market has taken a big hit though. Rogers left the trade-in market and doesn't even sell new games anymore. Blockbuster is gone. At least Future Shop and Best Buy have started having decent trade deals to compete with EB. Maybe Toys R Us and Wal-mart will jump in eventually (I believe they already have in the States)?

Amazon.ca is still light-years away from Amazon.com though.

Max

I am not Max
WEGGLES said:
http://twitter.com/#!/FS_Gamer/status/121643852619726848

7WBQA.gif
"Pppppssfffftttttttppppppt" is right...

:(

edit: walmart has 3 standard copies, might just cancel and get it from there

frequency

radiantdreamer said:

At least brick and mortar shops don't hold onto your game in some warehouse for 2-5 days after release before shipping it, taking another 2-7 days to get to you.

I went online for the convenience because I'm uncomfortable walking into game shops. But I'll take that 10 minutes of being uncomfortable over waiting until, at earliest, the Monday AFTER the week of release to get a game I pre-ordered months in advance.

When Amazon.ca used to ship day of release, I'd get it on the Thursday. 2 days was worth the convenience for me. Week after (at best) isn't.

So I've banged on both retail stores and Turn10, but does anyone know what's the status with the Forza 4 LCE in Canada? Gamestop doesn't even have it in their system, and they're suppose to be the only carriers of it.

Brandson

My Dark Souls CE (PS3) arrived this morning by Purolator just as I was leaving to go to work, shipped by Best Buy. Not that I really care, but the steel case was totally bashed in. Still, only cost $43.99 plus tax, so can't really complain.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Brandson said:
My Dark Souls CE (PS3) arrived this morning by Purolator just as I was leaving to go to work, shipped by Best Buy. Not that I really care, but the steel case was totally bashed in. Still, only cost $43.99 plus tax, so can't really complain.
I certainly would.

Rengoku

Brandson said:

my box was dented by purolator as well, ugh, gona have to call best buy tomorrow to sort this out. :-(

Lone_Prodigy said:
The trading market has taken a big hit though. Rogers left the trade-in market and doesn't even sell new games anymore. Blockbuster is gone. At least Future Shop and Best Buy have started having decent trade deals to compete with EB. Maybe Toys R Us and Wal-mart will jump in eventually (I believe they already have in the States)?

Amazon.ca is still light-years away from Amazon.com though.

ya all we really need is a canadian online retailer offering amazon prime service and good sales with release day delivery to steal a lot of gamers away from the fs/bb monopoly...

unfortunately im not holding my breath for this to happen soon...

mrgone

Alrighty, so Best Buy upgraded our Dark Souls orders to Purolator - great for most folks, shitty if your regular mailing address can't take a Purolator delivery (PO box). So fine, I says, I'll just call up Purolator and get them to switch the shipping address around like the last time this happened. "We're sorry", they says politely, "the sender (apparently a distributor Best Buy's using called Ingram Micro) doesn't allow destination updates without authorization". So now I get to wait until they attempt delivery and fail, then call up Ingram Micro about my Best Buy order and hope to get them to talk to Purolator on my behalf to get the address changed to my house. Fantastic.

Sorry about the diary entry, just a little bit irritated. :)

frequency

mrgone said:
Alrighty, so Best Buy upgraded our Dark Souls orders to Purolator - great for most folks, shitty if your regular mailing address can't take a Purolator delivery (PO box). So fine, I says, I'll just call up Purolator and get them to switch the shipping address around like the last time this happened. "We're sorry", they says politely, "the sender (apparently a distributor Best Buy's using called Ingram Micro) doesn't allow destination updates without authorization". So now I get to wait until they attempt delivery and fail, then call up Ingram Micro about my Best Buy order and hope to get them to talk to Purolator on my behalf to get the address changed to my house. Fantastic.

Purolator in your area doesn't let you go pick it up? There's never anyone home when they deliver to me, so I just go pick it up at their warehouse thingy after 7 PM on that same day.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it's all June pre-orders that are shipping with Purolator. For some reason they can't update those orders or something. I'm not looking forward to the 5 games I have coming in November all coming in via Purolator. :p

squidyj

mrgone said:

Oh Ingram Micro, the fun times I have had ordering stuff through retail from you. *wipes tear*

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
firehawk12 said:
I think it's all June pre-orders that are shipping with Purolator. For some reason they can't update those orders or something. I'm not looking forward to the 5 games I have coming in November all coming in via Purolator. :p
Is it because you won't be home? Have you considered signing a signature release so that you don't have to be home for them to leave your delivery?

mrgone

frequency said:
Purolator in your area doesn't let you go pick it up? There's never anyone home when they deliver to me, so I just go pick it up at their warehouse thingy after 7 PM on that same day.
I was sure there was a local depot at one point, but the last couple of times this has happened the package has been held at a distribution centre a couple of hours away :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fuzzy said:
Is it because you won't be home? Have you considered signing a signature release so that you don't have to be home for them to leave your delivery?
I live in an apartment. :/
It's funny, just like how UPS has UPS Stores they can't use for some reason, Purolator can't use their Staples drop off locations or even Canada Post outlets, even though Purolator is a Canada Post company. Blerg.
Add 8-8 a delivery window and you basically have to lose a day waiting for a package.

Giard

Desibabu said:
I remember when this thread was actually about deals, rather then posts about pre-orders.

Sorry, gonna post another one :p

Anyone pre-ordered Batman: Arkham City on FS during E3? Why is it 7$ more expensive than other games (47$ instead of 40$)???

WEGGLES

Desibabu said:
I remember when this thread was actually about deals, rather then posts about pre-orders.
I remember when this thread was about deals, not bitching about what the thread was about...

Giard said:
Sorry, gonna post another one :p

Anyone pre-ordered Batman: Arkham City on FS during E3? Why is it 7$ more expensive than other games (47$ instead of 40$)???

I believe Batman AC is $69.99, while most games are $59.99

Lothars

AlphaTwo00 said:
So I've banged on both retail stores and Turn10, but does anyone know what's the status with the Forza 4 LCE in Canada? Gamestop doesn't even have it in their system, and they're suppose to be the only carriers of it.
Both Best buy and Futureshop has it listed online

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=179c4294147d022f95378f0e203bde03en02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=e85e80107c87a1523a225d9827c71fb4en02

Best Buy shows it sold out but futureshop says you can still preorder.

Giard

WEGGLES said:
I believe Batman AC is $69.99, while most games are $59.99

Batman Arkham City - $59.99

Anybody else in the same situation? I think it might have been 69.99 when we pre-ordered, but now its 59.99. I think I'll try and contact them to ask about it.

EDIT: Called them. Said that even though the price was lowered, it'll still be 47$ cause it's still lower than 59.99.

Just want to say that Teksavvy customer service is really bad. Once you get someone on the phone it's fine but it's getting someone on the phone that is the problem. Average wait time for tech support is about 30 minutes since I've been a customer the last 2 months. Luckily they have that call-back feature. Still completely unacceptable. Only thing Teksavvy has going for it is the bandwidth caps and not throtteling torrents. Everything else is much better with Rogers or Bell. Anyone who gives them credit for more than that is just a Teksavvy fanboy imo.

So much FUD on the internet about how godly Teksavvy are.

If Rogers lowered prices by 10% and raised bandwidth caps, Teksavvy would be out of business. Bell and Rogers are seriously brain-dead.

Glad I left Rogers but Tek really need to hire more staff. Funny thing is that if you call and press the number button for wanting to sign up for a new service, they answer the phone in a second. Existing customers are where they really don't give a shit.

Deadly

Wow I thought Teksavvy was known for their better customer service? Thought Acanac were the ones who offered crappy customer service.

frequency

Giard said:
Batman Arkham City - $59.99

Anybody else in the same situation? I think it might have been 69.99 when we pre-ordered, but now its 59.99. I think I'll try and contact them to ask about it.

EDIT: Called them. Said that even though the price was lowered, it'll still be 47$ cause it's still lower than 59.99.
I'm pretty sure they purposely applied the $20 off directly onto the game rather than subtracting it from the invoice total for this reason.
No one can really win arguing with them about this, or ICO/SotC, since you're still getting the lowest price. So they haven't violated their "lowest price guarantee".

I guess you can keep trying until you get a lazy/awesome CSR like the one guy in this thread got for ICO/SotC.

Dunlop

concerning teksavvy

I think there problem is they expanded WAY to fast with suddenly having the ability to speed match with DSL, cable service and Tektalk (their VOIP service)

I've been with them about 3 months, literally the week before the speedmatching and VOIP was introduced and their service was phenominal for the times I needed to call.

My service is up and running and without problems and the when I posted on their direct support forums I was answered wthin minutes, but I would hesitate to recommend then, mostly as they seem to hide behind "It is Bell or Rogers fault", there are people who are without services for weeks because of it.

I have no doubt they are being d*cked around by the incumbants but I think they are getting big enough to have some kind of sway or at least cry to the CRTC about it.

If you were to switch I would probably keep the old internet service active for at least a week incase you run into a problem.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Dunlop said:
concerning teksavvy

I think there problem is they expanded WAY to fast with suddenly having the ability to speed match with DSL, cable service and Tektalk (their VOIP service)

I've been with them about 3 months, literally the week before the speedmatching and VOIP was introduced and their service was phenominal for the times I needed to call.

My service is up and running and without problems and the when I posted on their direct support forums I was answered wthin minutes, but I would hesitate to recommend then, mostly as they seem to hide behind "It is Bell or Rogers fault", there are people who are without services for weeks because of it.

I have no doubt they are being d*cked around by the incumbants but I think they are getting big enough to have some kind of sway or at least cry to the CRTC about it.

If you were to switch I would probably keep the old internet service active for at least a week incase you run into a problem.

You'd be surprised...

I actually just got TekSavvy Cable this week in London, ON and I've had 0 issues so far - I'm loving it!

But I have also seen on the Broadband report forum a lot of people saying to "STOP SELL IN ______" because people think that there's too many users which is causing an overall slowdown to the services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom