• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Fuzzy said:
Just got an email from BB for anyone looking to pick up a PS3.

320GB PS3 with Ico Collection, Uncharted Collection and Infamous 2 for $299.99

You have to be a RZ member and the email came with an in-store coupon. I don't know if the coupon is unique so if someone wants mine then I'll PM you it and you can print it out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it expires October 13.
Not unique.

PS3_coupon_2.jpg

Or online promo code: ps3320ico

WEGGLES

SabinFigaro said:
I'm not gonna lie, this is pretty damn awesome.

$20 off anything from Newegg, and 50% off from FS. Suddenly, not getting that (supposedly) shitty metal tin is looking like the best deal I got.
I'm still pissed.

$30 (Technically $20, since when I pre-ordered I got $10 off and they had a deal all last week to get a $10 gift card with purchase) off the REGULAR edition of the game when I wanted the special edition? And it'll be a week and a half late (I have severe doubts it'll be here tuesday if ordered Fri night)? And to get what I wanted AND ordered I'll have to pay $100+ on ebay?

Major fuck up. Way less than impressed with Futureshop right now, to say the least. This shit is the EXACT opposite of why I would pre-order a game...

Luigi87

Oh, btw, in response to my previous message of 50% off code for the regular edition of Dark Souls at Futureshop.ca, does anyone want it?

I have the CE, so I'm not using the code. Post if you do, and I'll PM it.

As much as everyone hates retail at least for me the easiest and most sure fire way me to get the game is to pre-order at EB. But then again I also didn't get a pre-order bonus with my copy of Space Marine. But since that was supposed to come in the box with the game I guess the publisher/distributor is at fault in that case.

aasoncott

Luigi87 said:
Oh, btw, in response to my previous message of 50% off code for the regular edition of Dark Souls at Futureshop.ca, does anyone want it?

Yeah, I'll bite on that. I've been itching to try it, but it's been out of my price range.

Truespeed

Luigi87 said:

Hi, I'll take it if you still have it.

Claytron

Neo Member
Luigi87 said:

I was going to buy Dark Souls at Rogers Video with a gift card from a while back, but apparently they don't sell new games anymore.

So if you're still sitting on that code, I could take it off your hands ;)

Edit:
Wow, beaten by a few minutes. Thanks though.

mrgone

Rengoku said:
I just got off the phone with Best Buy. I noticed that the 360 version of the collectors edition was available on their website at the time. I asked if they could let me replace my damaged PS3 version with the 360 version. they told me to place the order for the 360 version online and then call back with the new order number so that they could make the adjustments. Now i just have to wait for them to ship it.
Lucky break :) I just got the "sorry for your inconvenience" response with the option of either exchanging it locally (not possible in my area) or mailing it back for a refund. I think they've since removed the CE from the website, too :p

huggles

Neo Member
Lostconfused said:
As much as everyone hates retail at least for me the easiest and most sure fire way me to get the game is to pre-order at EB. But then again I also didn't get a pre-order bonus with my copy of Space Marine. But since that was supposed to come in the box with the game I guess the publisher/distributor is at fault in that case.

I can say that this is not a guarantee either at EB. They were telling some customers who preordered that they had sold out of their CE's of Dark Souls. Apparently they had more preorders than they had the game for the PS3 at least. Was offered the regular edition and I told them basically there's a reason I preordered 2 months ago and willing to pay full price for it and promptly declined. Some other EB stores seemed to have the same situation. Sounded like they sold out of the PS3 version really during a midnight sale or something.

They said they're seeing if head office or other stores have extras left over but considering everyone's experience, I don't think they'll fulfill all their orders at all.

frequency

huggles said:
I can say that this is not a guarantee either at EB. They were telling some customers who preordered that they had sold out of their CE's of Dark Souls. Apparently they had more preorders than they had the game for the PS3 at least. Was offered the regular edition and I told them basically there's a reason I preordered 2 months ago and willing to pay full price for it and promptly declined. Some other EB stores seemed to have the same situation. Sounded like they sold out of the PS3 version really during a midnight sale or something.

They said they're seeing if head office or other stores have extras left over but considering everyone's experience, I don't think they'll fulfill all their orders at all.
I don't think the Dark Souls CE is EB's fault in this case. Their head office has definitely messed up distribution on several occasions but I think in this case, Namco Bandai just promised too much. They basically told everyone that they'd give free upgrade to CE if you pre-ordered. Almost everyone in both Canada and the U.S. had trouble fulfilling all the pre-orders with CE's.

The entire situation with the Dark Souls CE was a screw up. Remember how cool the original concept photo was... I guess they underestimated the popularity of the game and when they realized it, they had to cut it down to digital and even then decided it was better to save money than to produce all the CE copies they promised they would.

Luigi87

Lyphen said:
What the hell just happened to Chapters' website? Oh God, it's terrible.

Indeed, they changed it this past week.
However, as I don't think they did before, now they sell video games.

Luigi87 said:
Indeed, they changed it this past week.
However, as I don't think they did before, now they sell video games.

They've been selling video games for a few months now. Nothing under MSRP as far as I can tell.

Magnus

What's the smart angle for purchasing something like Final Draft software? Do sales occur on software around the time other major sales happen?

I'm looking at amazon.com and see it for $180 or so. It's $250-300 CDN at every Canadian retailer I check with.

survivor

Banned
Lyphen said:
What the hell just happened to Chapters' website? Oh God, it's terrible.
Oh god WTF is this? What was wrong with their previous layout? It was clean and easy on the eyes. This one just looks cheap

Fuzzy

Another online-only sale starts at BB tomorrow at 6pm EDT until Tuesday at 10am EDT. BB doesn't know the difference between EST and EDT so I fixed it here.

Video Games and Toys

10% off Select XBOX 360 Games
10% off Select Playstation 3 Games
10% off Select PC Games
10% off Select Nintendo Wii Games
10% off Select 3DS games
10% off Select DS games
10% off Select PSP/Vita games
25% off Select Used Games

Accessories

15% off Select Nintendo Wii Accessories
15% off Select PS3 Accessories
15% off Select XBOX 360 Accessories
15% off Select PSP Accessories
15% off Select DS Accessories
15% off Select 3DS Accessories

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/online-only-sale.aspx

Fuzzy

firehawk12 said:
The fact that points cards aren't included in these sales anymore is kind of sad. :(
Yeah that does suck. I used to stock up on Nintendo points cards. :(

It'll be good for anyone looking to pick up a PS Move bundle though. Both the Tiger Woods and Sports Champion bundles are on sale for $79.99 which means they'll be $67.99 plus tax each.

ZeroEdge

Fuzzy said:
Not unique.

PS3_coupon_2.jpg

Or online promo code: ps3320ico

Holy crap thank you my PS3 just bit the dust (YLOD) old 40GB model tried the fix but it didn't last was really bummed (as I have some pre-order for fall games) then seen this, this is perfect :D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fuzzy said:
Another online-only sale starts at BB tomorrow at 6pm EDT until Tuesday at 10am EDT. BB doesn't know the difference between EST and EDT so I fixed it here.

Video Games and Toys

10% off Select XBOX 360 Games
10% off Select Playstation 3 Games
10% off Select PC Games
10% off Select Nintendo Wii Games
10% off Select 3DS games
10% off Select DS games
10% off Select PSP/Vita games
25% off Select Used Games

Accessories

15% off Select Nintendo Wii Accessories
15% off Select PS3 Accessories
15% off Select XBOX 360 Accessories
15% off Select PSP Accessories
15% off Select DS Accessories
15% off Select 3DS Accessories

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/online-only-sale.aspx
Interesting. So I can pre-order Forza 4 LE, get 5$ off for the online bonus and then get an additional 10% off? Will those stack?

So what time does this begin EST then? 5pm EST?

Fuzzy

enzo_gt said:
Interesting. So I can pre-order Forza 4 LE, get 5$ off for the online bonus and then get an additional 10% off? Will those stack?

So what time does this begin EST then? 5pm EST?
We won't know until it starts. The last sale removed the online bonus so we couldn't stack deals but other times they left it.

It starts at 6pm EDT like I said. EST doesn't start until November 6th.

Does anyone know if the steelbook cases that FutureShop has for certain games like Battlefield 3 and Batman: Arkham City apply to your order if you bought during the E3 deal?

snorggy

Magnus said:
What's the smart angle for purchasing something like Final Draft software? Do sales occur on software around the time other major sales happen?

I'm looking at amazon.com and see it for $180 or so. It's $250-300 CDN at every Canadian retailer I check with.

if you don't mind digital download, final draft is currently $200 on the Mac App Store... 20% off until October 31

Tiktaalik

/!\ Vancouver GAF /!\

Maynards' retail shop at Main and 2nd is currently doing a liquidation of an electronics store. There's a bunch of video game stuff for 25% off.

I was down there just a moment ago because I was going on a run, and saw the sign and dropped in.

No games aside from that Zelda lightgun shooter game, but just about every accessory for every system was there. If you are looking for controllers or charging cables or headphones and such then all that stuff is 25% off. Kinect, PS3 Motion stuff was there and 25% as were PS3s for 25% off.

I might head back there in a bit to get an Xbox Play n' Charge cable.

Really there's lots of headphones, speakers, tvs, cameras, etc as well.
http://www.maynards.com/liquidations/retail/view_all_current/major-electronics-liquidation

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SUBZERO-08 said:
Does anyone know if the steelbook cases that FutureShop has for certain games like Battlefield 3 and Batman: Arkham City apply to your order if you bought during the E3 deal?
I never got the Gears steel book.

Fuzzy said:
Yeah that does suck. I used to stock up on Nintendo points cards. :(

It'll be good for anyone looking to pick up a PS Move bundle though. Both the Tiger Woods and Sports Champion bundles are on sale for $79.99 which means they'll be $67.99 plus tax each.
It's too bad that Move sale in the US never happened up here.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
SUBZERO-08 said:

Depends on who you ask. The NHL steelbook was supposed to be for all preorders, then it ended up being only for new preorders. It's a crapshoot when it comes to bonuses at Future Shop. If it isn't listed at the time you place your order then I wouldn't hold your breath for it to be included. Best bet is to contact customer service and hope you get someone good.

EDIT:
*Please note this offer cannot be combined with any other promotion. This SteelBook promotion is only effective between October 7 - 13 and does not apply to previous orders.

From the Battlefield 3 store page. Looks like we're outta luck.

hoverX

Hey,

What's the name of that company that will ship items ordered from Amazon.com to canadian addresses? There is a bag i want to buy from them which is considerably cheaper there then elsewhere.

Fuzzy

gabbo said:
Who... what? Checked out the site, still dont quite get how it works
You either order stuff and have it sent straight to goomba (the guy who runs the site) who then ships it to you for a fee or he orders it for you and once he gets it he ships it to you. If you have questions then shoot him an email at his site or talk to him at the CAG Canada board where he has a thread.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179597&page=508

EDIT: http://gamesforcanada.com/forum/index.php?topic=98.0
That explains how it works and gives you a good idea of how much he charges.

huggles

Neo Member
frequency said:
I don't think the Dark Souls CE is EB's fault in this case. Their head office has definitely messed up distribution on several occasions but I think in this case, Namco Bandai just promised too much. They basically told everyone that they'd give free upgrade to CE if you pre-ordered. Almost everyone in both Canada and the U.S. had trouble fulfilling all the pre-orders with CE's.

The entire situation with the Dark Souls CE was a screw up. Remember how cool the original concept photo was... I guess they underestimated the popularity of the game and when they realized it, they had to cut it down to digital and even then decided it was better to save money than to produce all the CE copies they promised they would.

It's an odd case indeed. As a backup, I preordered the CE from best buy 2 days before their cut off date for taking CE orders. Ironically, they fulfilled their end of the transaction via mail just fine while a 2 month old preorder at EB and walking in to pick up in person came out with nothing.

I attributed the gradual lack of physical items in the collection to not being an Atlus release :( Let's this fiasco never happen again (who am I kidding I know it will).

Decado

Fuzzy said:
You either order stuff and have it sent straight to goomba (the guy who runs the site) who then ships it to you for a fee or he orders it for you and once he gets it he ships it to you. If you have questions then shoot him an email at his site or talk to him at the CAG Canada board where he has a thread.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179597&page=508

EDIT: http://gamesforcanada.com/forum/index.php?topic=98.0
That explains how it works and gives you a good idea of how much he charges.
So...is doing this worth it?

Fuzzy

Decado said:
So...is doing this worth it?
It is when you see some of those crazy US deals pop up and you can't wait for a deal here. For normal prices it's not. Shipping 1 game to goomba then having him ship it to you adds $6 US (I'm pretty sure that's right, it's been a while) to the price of the game. Did you see that $30 US bag hoverX wanted? Amazon would charge an extra $35.80 US to ship it to Canada (I checked) while goomba's fee would be much lower than that. There's a reason GFC is mentioned in the OP of this thread.

Cheerilee

Tiktaalik said:
/!\ Vancouver GAF /!\

Maynards' retail shop at Main and 2nd is currently doing a liquidation of an electronics store. There's a bunch of video game stuff for 25% off.

I was down there just a moment ago because I was going on a run, and saw the sign and dropped in.

No games aside from that Zelda lightgun shooter game, but just about every accessory for every system was there. If you are looking for controllers or charging cables or headphones and such then all that stuff is 25% off. Kinect, PS3 Motion stuff was there and 25% as were PS3s for 25% off.

I might head back there in a bit to get an Xbox Play n' Charge cable.

Really there's lots of headphones, speakers, tvs, cameras, etc as well.
http://www.maynards.com/liquidations/retail/view_all_current/major-electronics-liquidation
Might be too late, but I just figured I'd mention that the Xbox Play n' Charge cable isn't a good idea, not even at 25% off, because the battery packs kind of suck.

Low self-discharge NiMH batteries are superior, and if you get a four pack of AAs with a charger (around $10 on sale), you can charge two batteries while you use two in the controller.

TheExodu5

Banned
frequency said:

Namco screwed up Dark Souls in more ways than one. The localization is a fair bit worse than Demon's Souls, as is the online infrastructure. It's a shame Atlus couldn't keep the contract.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
May have been mentioned, but Lords of Shadow is on sale at Best Buy for 20$. Best Buy edition includes Symphony of the Night download code.

Magnus

snorggy said:
if you don't mind digital download, final draft is currently $200 on the Mac App Store... 20% off until October 31

I ended up realizing that my student status is somehow still active despite graduating in May. Bam, $129 education pricing, haha.

Thanks anyway though man! :)

Don't know if this is a chain-wide thing or a store-by-store deal, but I was in the Game Stop in Place d'Orleans here in Ottawa today, and the PSP Go was marked down to $99. Get 'em while you can!

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
Don't know if this is a chain-wide thing or a store-by-store deal, but I was in the Game Stop in Place d'Orleans here in Ottawa today, and the PSP Go was marked down to $99. Get 'em while you can!
Do it guys! It's a great system once your custom firmware it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom