• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Im_Special

Just curious if anyone else here has pre-ordered the Dark Souls the Official Guide Hardcover from Amazon.ca, and if there's has been shipped yet? I'm told some people are getting there's but mines still saying Not yet shipped: Delivery Estimate: Oct 10 2011 - Oct 11 2011.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dunlop said:
I have no doubt they are being d*cked around by the incumbants but I think they are getting big enough to have some kind of sway or at least cry to the CRTC about it.
Until Teksavvy is a publicly traded company and part of every government worker's portfolio, no.

WEGGLES

criesofthepast said:
Just want to say that Teksavvy customer service is really bad. Once you get someone on the phone it's fine but it's getting someone on the phone that is the problem. Average wait time for tech support is about 30 minutes since I've been a customer the last 2 months. Luckily they have that call-back feature. Still completely unacceptable. Only thing Teksavvy has going for it is the bandwidth caps and not throtteling torrents. Everything else is much better with Rogers or Bell. Anyone who gives them credit for more than that is just a Teksavvy fanboy imo.

So much FUD on the internet about how godly Teksavvy are.

If Rogers lowered prices by 10% and raised bandwidth caps, Teksavvy would be out of business. Bell and Rogers are seriously brain-dead.

Glad I left Rogers but Tek really need to hire more staff. Funny thing is that if you call and press the number button for wanting to sign up for a new service, they answer the phone in a second. Existing customers are where they really don't give a shit.
Have you called any other tech support number ever in your life? I'd kill to talk to a human within 30 mins when calling 310surf.

ShaneB

I'll be starting my Teksavvy service on sunday morning with the tech coming then, but I just got my modem in the mail, and I have a question...

It's the 99$ one, and it's the DCM475... is this not wireless??? Otherwise it's completely not what I want and near useless.

Unless I'm missing something obvious and that's stuff the technician coming will figure all out.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
That's wired. Either return it, or just get a wireless router from a local computer shop. I'd do the router thing. Canada Computers always has a few on sale.

ShaneB said:
I'll be starting my Teksavvy service on sunday morning with the tech coming then, but I just got my modem in the mail, and I have a question...

It's the 99$ one, and it's the DCM475... is this not wireless??? Otherwise it's completely not what I want and near useless.

Unless I'm missing something obvious and that's stuff the technician coming will figure all out.
Uhhh, a modem and a wireless router are 2 different things. This is just a modem, which is not even close to "near useless". Buy a wireless router separately.

ShaneB

The Interrobanger said:
Uhhh, a modem and a wireless router are 2 different things. This is just a modem, which is not even close to "near useless". Buy a wireless router separately.

I'm aware of the difference, my bell modem was wireless, I just assumed in this day and age now, wireless options are pretty standard. The fact that it's not even stated as not wireless is what annoys me.

Guess I'll be getting a router for cheap. More money to spend. Yay.

edit: yeah, looking at threads at dslreports and seeing others with the same revelation and looking for wireless router options. Okey Dokey.

frequency said:
At least brick and mortar shops don't hold onto your game in some warehouse for 2-5 days after release before shipping it, taking another 2-7 days to get to you.

I went online for the convenience because I'm uncomfortable walking into game shops. But I'll take that 10 minutes of being uncomfortable over waiting until, at earliest, the Monday AFTER the week of release to get a game I pre-ordered months in advance.

When Amazon.ca used to ship day of release, I'd get it on the Thursday. 2 days was worth the convenience for me. Week after (at best) isn't.

But have we forgotten all the bad things about brick and mortar shops too? (especially gamestop/eb)

"Sorry, the promised preorder bonuses were given away to people that just walked in to buy the game, or a few of our staff decided to keep some."

"Oh you saw it cheaper somewhere else? Well, we don't price match anymore."

"Yeah, we made a mistake and gutted all our copies."

"You preordered? I don't have it listed here."

"We forgot to call you about your preorder being in, and accidentally sold it."

"Would you like a protection guarantee? Would you like a protection guarantee? Would you like a protection guarantee? Would you like a protection guarantee? Would you like a protection guarantee?"

"Yeah, we know you preordered, but we didn't get enough copies, because those guys that preordered way late came in before you did."

"What game are you talking about? It's not in our list. How's that spelled again?"

"I'm sorry you came all this way, but we're closed. You'll have to come back when you're not working, so maybe pick up on the weekend. Oh btw, we only hold your game for 2 days."

"We never got any preorder promo items."

"We know it's supposed to be out today, but it hasn't arrived. Sorry you had to make this trip just to find that out."

WEGGLES said:
Have you called any other tech support number ever in your life? I'd kill to talk to a human within 30 mins when calling 310surf.
You've got to be kidding me...

Rogers tech usually answers in a minute or less. I fully understand Rogers has 100 times the staff Teksavvy does. Doesn't mean sitting on the phone for 30 minutes to talk to a human should be acceptable.

frequency

radiantdreamer said:
But have we forgotten all the bad things about brick and mortar shops too? (especially gamestop/eb)

"Sorry, the promised preorder bonuses were given away to people that just walked in to buy the game, or a few of our staff decided to keep some."
My luck with pre-order bonuses is terrible online too. I rarely get the pre-order bonus advertised.

"Oh you saw it cheaper somewhere else? Well, we don't price match anymore."
Since most of my purchases are Day 1 price match isn't really an issue. The one time a game was cheaper elsewhere, EB price matched for me (Batman last year was 39.99 at Wal Mart)

"Yeah, we made a mistake and gutted all our copies."
That only happened with Deus Ex. That sucked. If all they have left is a gutted display copy I just don't buy it.

"You preordered? I don't have it listed here."
Never had this problem. Maybe I'm lucky in that sense.

"We forgot to call you about your preorder being in, and accidentally sold it."
Never had this happen to me either.

"Would you like a protection guarantee? Would you like a protection guarantee? Would you like a protection guarantee? Would you like a protection guarantee? Would you like a protection guarantee?"
I only ever get asked once and only if I go to EB. I just say "no thanks" and they don't heckle me about it.

"Yeah, we know you preordered, but we didn't get enough copies, because those guys that preordered way late came in before you did."
Maybe it's just my store but this doesn't happen. They always hold games for me.

"What game are you talking about? It's not in our list. How's that spelled again?"
Yeah this happens. But it happens online too. Games don't get listed on our sites as fast as they do on the American counterparts.

"I'm sorry you came all this way, but we're closed. You'll have to come back when you're not working, so maybe pick up on the weekend. Oh btw, we only hold your game for 2 days."
I know the store hours of places I visit. If they don't accommodate my work schedule, I just shop elsewhere.

"We never got any preorder promo items."
Happens to me online.

"We know it's supposed to be out today, but it hasn't arrived. Sorry you had to make this trip just to find that out."
I call ahead of time for pre-orders on release day. I have no such convenience with online. I just get a generic email back like 2 days later telling me I should cancel my order or something.
Responses in bold above.

Both experiences kind of suck but at least with brick and mortar, I'm not waiting until way after release date to get my game, sometimes banged up in transit.

I had been using online almost exclusively the past 4 years or so. But 2011 has just been really bad for me and I'm kind of fed up. I really only made the switch because I was uncomfortable in game shops. I was younger and dumber and took offense to the employees looking down on me. But it seems times have changed now and it's acceptable for me to like video games.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
criesofthepast said:
Just want to say that Teksavvy customer service is really bad. Once you get someone on the phone it's fine but it's getting someone on the phone that is the problem. Average wait time for tech support is about 30 minutes since I've been a customer the last 2 months. Luckily they have that call-back feature. Still completely unacceptable. Only thing Teksavvy has going for it is the bandwidth caps and not throtteling torrents. Everything else is much better with Rogers or Bell. Anyone who gives them credit for more than that is just a Teksavvy fanboy imo.

So much FUD on the internet about how godly Teksavvy are.

If Rogers lowered prices by 10% and raised bandwidth caps, Teksavvy would be out of business. Bell and Rogers are seriously brain-dead.

Glad I left Rogers but Tek really need to hire more staff. Funny thing is that if you call and press the number button for wanting to sign up for a new service, they answer the phone in a second. Existing customers are where they really don't give a shit.

Really? Maybe it's the influx of new customers via cable, but I've never had to wait for tech support ever. Of course, I also called late at night, but still, they were pretty good.

WEGGLES

criesofthepast said:
You've got to be kidding me...

Rogers tech usually answers in a minute or less. I fully understand Rogers has 100 times the staff Teksavvy does. Doesn't mean sitting on the phone for 30 minutes to talk to a human should be acceptable.
Not saying it is acceptable, but to act like it's "terrible" when it's about on par with other telecoms is dishonest.

Try calling any "big" tech support number, xbox, Bell, Samsung etc etc. You'll likely have to wait quite a bit, I know I always do.

Fuck sakes, took me 20 mins to reach someone when I called Futureshop.

TheExodu5

Banned
Firestorm said:
Yeah they should. I used the $8 off coupon for my Lion King Collector's Tin at Future Shop.

Whoa. I'm usually not much for the steelbooks, but that Lion King one looks great. Gonna have to pick that up!

DJ_Lae

Well, now I feel a bit foolish with my Dark Souls back up plan.

akdUm.jpg

I could return two, or I could just try and sell them online. I mean, I paid less than $50 for two of them and the other was ten bucks off. I wouldn't want to gouge anyone, but I could sell the two extras for $60 and still be better off.

If my gaming budget wasn't so small this holiday, I might have even been tempted to give them away in this thread, but I already did that with Sin & Punishment so I'm probably okay with karma for a while. :p

TheExodu5

Banned
You going to sell the PS3 one? I'd buy it off you. I wasn't able to snag the CE as EBGames didn't fulfill my pre-order. I figure I could just return the sealed copy inside and keep the tin.

P.S. you gave me Sin & Punishment earlier this year and I very much enjoyed it. :)

Rengoku

DJ_Lae said:

akdUm.jpg

I could return two, or I could just try and sell them online. I mean, I paid less than $50 for two of them and the other was ten bucks off. I wouldn't want to gouge anyone, but I could sell the two extras for $60 and still be better off.

If my gaming budget wasn't so small this holiday, I might have even been tempted to give them away in this thread, but I already did that with Sin & Punishment so I'm probably okay with karma for a while. :p

If you're gona sell one of them, I'll buy one off you, my PS3 one got all banged up coming from purolator :( and I'm having a hard time getting Bestbuy to agree to replace it.

WEGGLES

DJ_Lae said:

akdUm.jpg

DOOD!

I'll buy the PS3 copy off you!

My Futureshop Pre-order is "out of stock".

I need it to go with my Demon's Souls Ltd Edition :'(

Rengoku said:
If you're gona sell one of them, I'll buy one off you, my PS3 one got all banged up coming from purolator :( and I'm having a hard time getting Bestbuy to agree to replace it.
Did you get denied replacements in store? I don't see how they can deny you though if the item is in stock since it is damaged during shipment.

Giard

I pre-ordered Dark Souls CE at a small video game shop in Quebec City, and all their CE copies got stuck at the US customs..supposedly. :(

If I don't get it tomorrow I'll be pretty sad, I have nothing to do 'till Wednesday.

Ha, speaking of Dark Souls pre-orders, my order from Amazon.ca still hasn't shipped. According to the order page the game doesn't even launch until tomorrow. Guess I won't be getting it until some time late next week.

mrgone

Rengoku said:
Were you ever able to get anything out of Best Buy? After two days of phone tag with Purolator, I finally managed to pick up the game, but it appears that the driver used it as a seat cushion. This shit is total bullshit. Jesus, I hear what sounds like tiny bits of plastic rattling around inside when I turn it. I want to play this game so fucking bad I can taste it, but I don't want a smashed copy.

jcutner said:
Same
Was hoping it'd ship with Purolator as they deliver really early for me, compared to Canada Post which comes later in the afternoon :(

Mine was shipped Purolator and I would have preferred Canada Post. :(

Edit: I saw a Collector's Edition of Dark Souls at Game Centre if anyone was looking for one.

DJ_Lae

DoctorWho said:
My Forza 4 shipped today from FS.

I just checked, and for some reason my Forza 4 is lumped into a shipment with Diablo III, where the others all have their own individual shipments.

The hell.

Rengoku

Leshita said:
Did you get denied replacements in store? I don't see how they can deny you though if the item is in stock since it is damaged during shipment.

They didn't have any stock to replace it with.

mrgone said:
Were you ever able to get anything out of Best Buy? After two days of phone tag with Purolator, I finally managed to pick up the game, but it appears that the driver used it as a seat cushion. This shit is total bullshit. Jesus, I hear what sounds like tiny bits of plastic rattling around inside when I turn it. I want to play this game so fucking bad I can taste it, but I don't want a smashed copy.

They said they were going to escalate the replacement request and get back to me... its been 2 days, still nothing... I guess I'll call back to find out whats going on

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Just got an email from BB for anyone looking to pick up a PS3.

320GB PS3 with Ico Collection, Uncharted Collection and Infamous 2 for $299.99

You have to be a RZ member and the email came with an in-store coupon. I don't know if the coupon is unique so if someone wants mine then I'll PM you it and you can print it out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it expires October 13.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Didn't anyone post this week's flyers? From CAG, October 7-13. I didn't bother to edit out the comments.

Best Buy Anniversary Sale

4GB 360 Kinect Bundle $299.99 with 100 Gift Card 3 Day door crasher
12 month xbox live $39.99
360 Controller $39.99
Kinect Bundle $99.99

Sesame Street Once upon a Monster $39.99
Dead Rising 2: Capcom is trying to get you to buy the game again $39.99
Forza 4 $59.99 CE $79.99

$39.99
Star Craft II
Dead Island
Deus Ex
InFamous 2
Mortal Kombat
GT5
F3AR
Call of Juarez The Cartel

$19.99
Halo Reach
Duke Nukem Forever
COD MW2
GTA IV complete
Assassins Creed: Brotherhood
Hunted
Brink
Gears Triple Pack

L.A. Noire $29.99

160GB PS3 with GOW III & infamous $249.99
Move Tiger Woods Bundle $79.99
Wii Mario Kart bundle with NHL Slap Shot $149.99

Pre-order get 800 RZ points
Batman AC
Battlefield 3
Uncharted 3

Future Shop

Skyrim $59.99 with steel book case
GT5 $39.99
MGS4 $14.99
Deus EX $39.99
Call of Juarez: The Cartel $39.99
Ninja Blade $9.99

Forza 4 comes with Top Gear 15 DVD $59.99 CE $79.99 (I had a hard time this week finding a place to pre-order Forza 4 CE)
Just Dance 3 $39.99
Ace Combat: Assault Horizons

250GB 360 with Bioshock 2 and Splinter Cell $299.99
Wii Mario Kart Bundle $119.99
160GB PS3 with MGS4 $249.99

Walmart

Forza 4 $59.83 CE $79
Kirby Mass Attack DS $28.83
Just Dance 3 $39.99

mrgone

Rengoku said:
They didn't have any stock to replace it with.

They said they were going to escalate the replacement request and get back to me... its been 2 days, still nothing... I guess I'll call back to find out whats going on
Doh. I just sent them an email, but I'm expecting about the same level of avoidance :p

Firestorm

Gah kinda want a Kinect but I don't need it at all... The shopaholism is taking over again. Must resist... been doing so well...
enzo_gt said:
Oh fuck. If I pre-order now, what are the chances I'll still get it shipped today?
None. I remember a friend said her Ico / SotC shipped on the Friday before release. I then pre-ordered and it shipped to me on Thursday or something after release.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Firestorm said:
None. I remember a friend said her Ico / SotC shipped on the Friday before release. I then pre-ordered and it shipped to me on Thursday or something after release.
Damn, thanks for the reply.

I still have to pre-order though, wish Amazon still had copies. Blame myself for waiting so long though.

Luigi87

Just got an email from FutureShop

They are out of Dark Souls CE, and will not be shipping any more.

People who get burned by this get a code that allows 50% off the price of the regular edition.

Rengoku

mrgone said:
Doh. I just sent them an email, but I'm expecting about the same level of avoidance :p
I just got off the phone with Best Buy. I noticed that the 360 version of the collectors edition was available on their website at the time. I asked if they could let me replace my damaged PS3 version with the 360 version. they told me to place the order for the 360 version online and then call back with the new order number so that they could make the adjustments. Now i just have to wait for them to ship it.

Magnus

Fuzzy said:
Just got an email from BB for anyone looking to pick up a PS3.

320GB PS3 with Ico Collection, Uncharted Collection and Infamous 2 for $299.99

You have to be a RZ member and the email came with an in-store coupon. I don't know if the coupon is unique so if someone wants mine then I'll PM you it and you can print it out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it expires October 13.

What an outstanding fucking deal.

Luigi87 said:
Just got an email from FutureShop

They are out of Dark Souls CE, and will not be shipping any more.

People who get burned by this get a code that allows 50% off the price of the regular edition.
I'm not gonna lie, this is pretty damn awesome.

$20 off anything from Newegg, and 50% off from FS. Suddenly, not getting that (supposedly) shitty metal tin is looking like the best deal I got.

Fou-Lu

Yay; got Dark Souls Collector's Edition for 360 in the mail today from Best Buy. We were getting ready to leave for my parents house for the thanksgiving weekend. I am so glad my girlfriend's mom called since they talk for hours. Mail truck pulls up and I get the game; fuck yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom