• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

krae_man

WEGGLES said:
I'd give them one last call and ask "what's more important, this $60 or me as a customer?"

As a pay as you go customer, they don't give a shit. I'm not paying $100/month for service on a $600 phone so they don't care.

WEGGLES said:
I'd give them one last call and ask "what's more important, this $60 or me as a customer?"

The thing is, it looks like that automatic data thing is happening here in Canada too. I had a 100mb/$10 month plan and never went over it so I didn't run into any billing issues until I went to the states.

I cannot seem to get past "the data was used, therefore you have to pay for it". Nobody is willing to listen to me.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
crazy monkey said:
switch to wind it is the best thing i did. Saving sooooooo much money fuck rogers.
Yep. Good CS too. I was with Wind for a year and ported over my number to Mobilicity for the 200$ credit (no contracts make this sooo good). Then, Mobilicity had the 25$ unlimited talk/text/data plan, so I switched to that, paying the same amount as before monthly.

My Xperia X10 broke, so they gave me a new HTC Panache instead. A more expensive and better phone.

krae_man said:
Has anyone ever traveled to the states with a Rogers phone?

I got dinged for $60 in data I didn't use. The Rogers supervisor I talked to was trying to tell me that connecting to a US tower uses data and I rightfully got billed for it at the low low rate of $1/25kb.

I did not use my browser, facebook or email phone apps. it's not even a smartphone. I should be able to only be billed for the phone calls and text messages I sent while down there.

Annoying thing is I'm on Pay as you Go, so I can't contest the bill, I've already paid for it and Rogers is just like "too bad".
Used to be on Rogers TV, phone and internet.
Switched to Telus for cell and Bell for TV, internet.
Rogers IMO is the worst fucking company in Canada.

krae_man

WEGGLES said:
How did you pay?

If by credit card, file a charge back.

Pay as you go. I put $100 on it which is good for a full year a while ago.

DevelopmentArrested said:

The telecom company people think is the worst is the most recent one to screw them over. They are all the same. I just can't believe they are trying to tell me that I'm supposed to get billed $1/minute just for the right to have my phone turned on while in the US.

Something is broken on their end and I can't even get them to listen.

StevieP

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:

Wait until you have to call Bell CS. Outside of their corporate care (which is amazing) you'll have fun.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Speaking of Cell phones and being in the States... I am with Telus and I'm going there next week for about 5 days. I got Text plan (0.10/text), but what I'm worried about is roaming. I have an HTC Desire HD - how do I ensure that my phone won't roam and I'll get charged with ridiculous fees? I noticed that one of the pages that I can go to has a Roaming Icon - do I just turn that off and my phone won't roam? Can I still use it to send/receive texts? And will it not send/receive data (ie auto-update my Twitter Feed)?

krae_man

I think smartphones have a "Turn off 3G" setting in them you can use. But who knows, maybe you'll still get dinged $1/minute for idle time like me!

Firestorm

If you turn off the Roaming Data option you shouldn't be able to use data accidently while in the US. I can't remember where that option is on Android. You'll still receive texts which won't be charged (unless you normally are). You'll be charged roaming rates for making and picking up calls or sending texts.

krae_man

Firestorm said:
If you turn off the Roaming Data option you shouldn't be able to use data accidently while in the US. I can't remember where that option is on Android. You'll still receive texts which won't be charged (unless you normally are). You'll be charged roaming rates for making and picking up calls or sending texts.

That's the thing, My phone does not have a "Turn off Data" setting anywhere in it. The facebook and email apps have a "limit data" setting for roaming on by default that doesn't load pictures and whatnot but there is no "turn data off" because it's supposed to be off by default.

WEGGLES

krae_man said:
Pay as you go. I put $100 on it which is good for a full year a while ago.

The telecom company people think is the worst is the most recent one to screw them over. They are all the same. I just can't believe they are trying to tell me that I'm supposed to get billed $1/minute just for the right to have my phone turned on while in the US.

Something is broken on their end and I can't even get them to listen.
Ain't that the truth. They're all prettty awful.

Well, Bell and Rogers seem to be worse than most.

krae_man

Hey, I just found out something. Pay as you go customers will no longer be able to use pay per use data in the US starting Nov 1st. They will have to purchase US specific data packages.

Translation: We know something's up but we're still gonna call it your fault till we fix it. I was able to get them to credit me back 1/2 what I was charged, which will give me a month or two of breathing room to pick a new phone/company and port my number.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Is Rune Factory: Tales of Destiny (Wii) MSRP, $39.99? Impossible to tell online for me because Best Buy, Futureshop and HMV don't even have it in their systems.

edit: Ah, looks like it is at Gamestop.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
October 14-20 flyers from CAG.

Walmart

Batman Arkham City $59.99 bonus Batman Arkham Asylum Free 360 or PS3 tempting..
Batman Year One Blu RayR $22.93
Rocksmith bundle $199.99 Game $79.83

Toys R Us

Kinect game buy 1 save 15% buy 2 Save 20% Buy 3 save 25%
160GB PS3 with Lego Baman $249.99
Wii Sports bundle with Lego Star Wars $129.97

RCSS Ontario

Pokemon Black or White $24.99
Batman AC $59.99 (Animated Batman skin)
PS3 greatest Hits & controller bundle $39.99 save $20
4GB 360 with kinect and $50 gift card $299.99

Kraft Peanut Butter $2.88 (The price is increasing due to peanut shortages this year, stock up on this sale price)

Best Buy

Batman AC $59.99 Robin skin CE $99.99 Free T-Shirt first 25 people
320 GB PS3 with inFamous 2 and Batman AC $299.99

Madden $49.99
Spider-Mn $49.99
X-Men $49.99
Kinctimals $49.99

250 GB 360 with Splinter Cell Gears Triple pack $299.99

Pre orde and get 800RZ points
Battlefield 3
NFS The Run
Uncharted 3
COD MW3

Cheerilee

krae_man said:
Has anyone ever traveled to the states with a Rogers phone?

I got dinged for $60 in data I didn't use. The Rogers supervisor I talked to was trying to tell me that connecting to a US tower uses data and I rightfully got billed for it at the low low rate of $1/25kb.

I did not use my browser, facebook or email phone apps. it's not even a smartphone. I should be able to only be billed for the phone calls and text messages I sent while down there.

Annoying thing is I'm on Pay as you Go, so I can't contest the bill, I've already paid for it and Rogers is just like "too bad".
krae_man said:
The thing is, it looks like that automatic data thing is happening here in Canada too. I had a 100mb/$10 month plan and never went over it so I didn't run into any billing issues until I went to the states.

I cannot seem to get past "the data was used, therefore you have to pay for it". Nobody is willing to listen to me.
AFAIK, the scam is that Rogers says "It's not us being greedy, it's the American tower that wants this money. We're just stuck in the middle. We have no choice, we have to collect from you, otherwise our phone networks will declare war on each other."

And when an American visits Canada and gets dinged, the American company says "It's not us, it's those darned sneaky Canadians. We have to collect this unreasonable amount from you and pass it on to them."

They play good cop when they're talking to you and blame the other guys, and then they high-five each other when you're not looking.

You probably won't get out of the charge, because Rogers doesn't have your money, they sent it to America. It's impossible at this point for them to give it back to you. The best you can hope is that they "lose money" to keep you, and pay the charge out of their own American-tourist-lined pockets.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Fuzzy said:
Kraft Peanut Butter $2.88 (The price is increasing due to peanut shortages this year, stock up on this sale price)
I bought two jars of this (Extra Creamy) when I was in Winnipeg last weekend. When I came back across the border the guards were all commenting on how that was the "good stuff." Best peanut butter.

krae_man

ruby_onix said:
AFAIK, the scam is that Rogers says "It's not us being greedy, it's the American tower that wants this money. We're just stuck in the middle. We have no choice, we have to collect from you, otherwise our phone networks will declare war on each other."

And when an American visits Canada and gets dinged, the American company says "It's not us, it's those darned sneaky Canadians. We have to collect this unreasonable amount from you and pass it on to them."

Yeah, we need something like the EU has with maximum roaming fees set by the government. Mutual "Lets rip each others customers off" agreements are nonsense.

I kept getting different explanations to what was happening. A tech guy tried a whole bunch of things and a full factory reset finally got my phone to stop automatically connecting to the Data network. I eventually managed to get them to give me a $30 credit which is about 1/2 the data I was billed for.

I will use this time to switch to Wind.

Firestorm

ruby_onix said:

They play good cop when they're talking to you and blame the other guys, and then they high-five each other when you're not looking.

You probably won't get out of the charge, because Rogers doesn't have your money, they sent it to America. It's impossible at this point for them to give it back to you. The best you can hope is that they "lose money" to keep you, and pay the charge out of their own American-tourist-lined pockets.
But that's what it is. Rogers has no towers in the US. AT&T has no towers in Canada. When you enter the US, you are roaming away from Rogers and using AT&T towers. The rate that's charged is because you are paying both Rogers and AT&T.

Firestorm

Just saw this on CAG. Looks like Future Shop is getting a Zelda steelbook? http://twitter.com/#!/FS_Gamer/status/124181005799141376

Fuzzy

Firestorm said:
Just saw this on CAG. Looks like Future Shop is getting a Zelda steelbook? http://twitter.com/#!/FS_Gamer/status/124181005799141376
The real questions are whether it'll be applied to people who pre-ordered before it was announced and whether the SE will get it also. I've got an SE pre-order at FS for $60 and one at BB for $63 with 800 RZ points. If FS gives me the steelbook then I'll return the BB order.

Quick

Banned
Firestorm said:

Modern Warfare, Arkham City, Skyrim, and Assassin's Creed are also getting Steelbooks. Assassin's Creed and Modern Warfare ones are "Collection" sets.

Not a huge fan of the covers, except for Assassin's Creed, which looks pretty sleek.

10181163.jpg

Fuzzy said:
The real questions are whether it'll be applied to people who pre-ordered before it was announced and whether the SE will get it also. I've got an SE pre-order at FS for $60 and one at BB for $63 with 800 RZ points. If FS gives me the steelbook then I'll return the BB order.

If it's like the Modern Warfare collection, and if I interpreted it correctly, you should qualify for it.

Spike

Fuzzy said:

It won't:

http://twitter.com/#!/FS_Gamer/status/124627151394840576

Steelbooks cant be combined with previous pre-orders during E3. The E3 offer was a limited time deal, will not include a Steelbook

Also, the MW3 Steelbook will only be available during the Midnight Launch.

And, here is the Skyrim one:

Outside:
original

Inside:
original

Firestorm

I think I will pay the money for the steelbook. It's Zelda :( I can't remember where that bundle pre-order was. I think that was Best Buy.

Anth0ny

Firestorm said:

oh my god

Anyone know if anywhere is doing a midnight launch for Zelda?

Luigi87

Firestorm said:

OMG... Ugh, this causes me so many issues >.<
1. I already have the vanilla ordered from E3 (intend to return it) Won't get the steelcase anyhow.
2. I have the bundle ordered at GameStop.
3. Likely only way to get the Steelcase is ordering at FutureShop.ca, which of course means a delay for shipping and all that, and Zelda is the sole series I will NEVER not get on launch day.

*sigh*
Well, other than that, taking a moment back in time (let's say... August), for those who managed to get TouchPads and wanted Android, seems the alpha from CM7 for Gingerbread on it is now out http://reviewhorizon.com/2011/10/how-to-install-cyanogenmod-on-hp-touchpad/

Magnus

I posted about the iPhone trade-ins like, last week! lol

Yeah, I traded my 3GS 16gb in for $230. The iPhone 4 16gb trades in for just $10 more for reference, lol.

Giard

My Dark Souls copy finally got across US customs. I could've picked it up yesterday but I wasn't in town... :(

Can't wait to start playing Tuesday.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:
I'm going through some bullshit with Future Shop. I called a couple of weeks ago because my God of War Collection wasn't shipped and the guy told me it was stuck in a shipment with games that haven't been released yet and he couldn't separate it and would have to have his supervisor do it. Today I check my order because I still didn't get it (but I really didn't care because I bought it for cheaper from Best Buy) and they cancelled my entire E3 order. The guy today told me he would add a note to my cancelled order and that I should re-order the games and then call back and reference my previous order so that they can adjust the price. I'm going to be very pissed if I get screwed out of that deal.
Here's an update: When I originally called in it was because my 5-game E3 pre-order had completely disappeared from the FS website. I had a 4-game E3 pre-order that I cancelled during E3 when they added Zelda so I could make my 5-game order. Because my 5-game order was completely missing (I had the emails to prove I had made it even though they didn't have it in their system) the guy used my cancelled 4-game order to give me the E3 prices on those games. I finally called today and had them update the prices on my new order with my E3 prices and everything went smoothly. Here's the funny thing, my 5-game pre-order that went missing has somehow come back and now I have two E3 orders. That means I have extra copies of Ratchet All 4 One, Uncharted 3 and Assassin's Creed Revelations all at $39.99 coming. I'll see if my brother or cousin wants any of them at those prices but if not I'll just return them. FS customer support was really easy to deal with and it only took this long because I didn't call in the next day like the first guy said I should.

Spike

AlphaTwo00 said:
o.0 Well, it's free to play now, right?

It is, but if you own the disc version you get a free upgrade to the next level of service.

Oh, and there are no copies to be found in the GTA. Hoarders picked them clean and traded them in at the Source since they were giving $15 trade in. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom