• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

Bleck, contrary to being happy to see my Batman order as "In Progress" at FS.ca yesterday, it is still In Progress and not Shipped.... =(

Shipped. I guess it'll be here Thursday.

Stumpokapow said:
Anyone know a good comparison shopping app with Canadian options?

I want to be able to scan a DVD barcode and see:
- Amazon.ca's current price
- HMV's current price
- RCSS' current price
- Walmart's current price
- BB/FS' current price
- (if game) Gamestop's current price

- Ideally also a price history on Amazon.

(iOS, but any smartphone will do)

I wonder how hard it would be to make an app that does this.

Was in line at downtown FS to get batman, got a steelbook (they only had 20). None of the other shit that was mentioned was there (shirt, poster, etc).

DoctorWho said:
I wonder how hard it would be to make an app that does this.
How much screen scraping do you want to do is the issue. And how much support.

The naive way to implement it is scan code once, lookup each of the site, and show the price, but that means that app has to do X number of queries, one per store.

Ideally, you want to minimize bandwidth use from the app side (also make it feel more responsive), but then the solution would mean that there is a server that does this, and no one is going to make something like this unless they already have the infrastructure (or just has too much time on their hands).

AlphaTwo00 said:
Was in line at downtown FS to get batman, got a steelbook (they only had 20). None of the other shit that was mentioned was there (shirt, poster, etc).

I walked into FS this morning and the guy just gave me a steelbook, poster and a keychain. I will probably give away the poster and keychain in the FTAGH thread.

Can't wait to sit down with the game tonight.

PalaceBrother said:
I walked into FS this morning and the guy just gave me a steelbook, poster and a keychain. I will probably give away the poster and keychain in the FTAGH thread.

Can't wait to sit down with the game tonight.
SON OF A BITCH!

torontoml

I pre-ordered Batman back in June when futureshop had that E3 deal going on so I got $20 off 5 games. Should I have received a shipped confirmation by now? They have charged my credit card. Also I noticed that the price before taxes was $47 instead of $40 like all the others in my order is this a mistake?

Well I went into Future Shop today looking for the Batman: Year One blu ray since I couldn't pass it up for 20 bucks and lo and behold it's sold out. But the DVDs are still there. I'll assume the worst and hoarders bought it all.

Anyone know if HMV price matches?

Crewnh said:
Well I went into Future Shop today looking for the Batman: Year One blu ray since I couldn't pass it up for 20 bucks and lo and behold it's sold out. But the DVDs are still there. I'll assume the worst and hoarders bought it all.

Anyone know if HMV price matches?

I saw a few copies at Yonge and Eglinton.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AlphaTwo00 said:
How much screen scraping do you want to do is the issue. And how much support.

You're forgetting that GameStop.ca is terrible, WalMart.ca is also terrible, and RCSS online is ALSO terrible so it's not likely you could screenscrape enough data to get it right quickly.

Stumpokapow said:
You're forgetting that GameStop.ca is terrible, WalMart.ca is also terrible, and RCSS online is ALSO terrible so it's not likely you could screenscrape enough data to get it right quickly.

How much money do we need to throw at this solution!?

I really want this app now.

EGM92

Has anyone seen any deals on Ace Combat: Assault Horizon? I've been looking for the game new/used but a lot of places locally don't have it in stock or just didn't receive it.

Foov

torontoml said:
I pre-ordered Batman back in June when futureshop had that E3 deal going on so I got $20 off 5 games. Should I have received a shipped confirmation by now? They have charged my credit card. Also I noticed that the price before taxes was $47 instead of $40 like all the others in my order is this a mistake?

I did the same, ordered five games, and I also saw the odd $47 price. I still haven't received shipping confirmation as well - weird thing is I noticed when I look at my order that they've combined my batman shipment with zelda. I phoned on the weekend and asked customer service if that meant I wasn't going to be getting the game for a month, and they told me not to worry that it would still shop on time. But no confirmation yet, so I guess I'll phone again later when I get home... or should I wait a little longer? Also want to figure out the price discrepancy as well.

Lothars

Stumpokapow said:
I don't mind Gamestop.ca, I use it for a quick price check or to see what trade promotions are, heck they have the arcade stick I want online so tempted to see if they are decent ot order from.

frequency

I got my Batman shipping notice a few minutes ago.

The price is $47 I think because during the E3 pre-order promo, it was listed as $69.99 instead of $59.99.

torontoml

frequency said:
I got my Batman shipping notice a few minutes ago.

The price is $47 I think because during the E3 pre-order promo, it was listed as $69.99 instead of $59.99.
Ya just got off the phone, that is why its $47. Mine also has shipped as of about 1/2 an hour ago.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hmmmm...tempted to go with a full priced copy of Skyrim for the steelbook, even though I have a $40 copy on pre-order. What am I thinking? :|

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Foov said:
I did the same, ordered five games, and I also saw the odd $47 price. I still haven't received shipping confirmation as well - weird thing is I noticed when I look at my order that they've combined my batman shipment with zelda. I phoned on the weekend and asked customer service if that meant I wasn't going to be getting the game for a month, and they told me not to worry that it would still shop on time. But no confirmation yet, so I guess I'll phone again later when I get home... or should I wait a little longer? Also want to figure out the price discrepancy as well.
They lied to you, it won't ship until Zelda does. I still haven't gotten God of War Origins Collection because it's stuck in the Zelda shipment along with Ratchet. I called them a couple of times and they promised it would be fixed but it never was.

EDIT: I just checked my order (the one that I've had all of the problems with) and they finally separated the games into different shipments. It only took them 6 weeks from when I first called for them to do so. :lol

stewy

Just called as well and had to get my Batman separated from my Halo pre-order. When I complained about the price ($47 for Batman and $40 for Ico, which is actually higher than retail), I was able to get them to knock $5 off each of the games on my order to equal out the $20 I didn't get on Ico for some reason.

I think.

Will have to check my statements and receipts over the coming weeks to see if any of this actually happens :)

WEGGLES

TheExodu5 said:
Hmmmm...tempted to go with a full priced copy of Skyrim for the steelbook, even though I have a $40 copy on pre-order. What am I thinking? :|
Keep both orders. Find a friend who bought it full price somewhere. Return $40 copy with their receipt.

carlo6529

Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread but Futureshop has the ps3 320gb infamous bundle right now 299.99 and it comes with a free copy arkham city aswell. I picked up the bundle today.

I believe E3 pre-orders don't come with a steelbook.

And my Deus Ex arrived on release day (bundled with Zelda and Mass Effect 3). I hope Zelda ships before March. :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
firehawk12 said:
Curious - anyone order Batman from the E3 sale? How are they shipping it out?
Just thought I'd ask again. I have 6 games coming and I hope I don't have to deal with Purolator for 6 weeks straight. :(

Stumpokapow said:

Good point, so you do want the other solution then.

DoctorWho said:
How much money do we need to throw at this solution!?

I really want this app now.
In this case, it's no longer just "an app", but rather an app that talks to a server, which does all the heavy lifting and cataloging/comparing prices for games.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
AlphaTwo00 said:
Good point, so you do want the other solution then.

In this case, it's no longer just "an app", but rather an app that talks to a server, which does all the heavy lifting and cataloging/comparing prices for games.
CAG already does this for US Stores. It's just a matter of getting them to do Canada and releasing an app that uses that data I suppose.

snack

Has anyone successfuly used their Bestbuy reward certificates on pre-order purchases? I'm thinking about buying MW3 on Bestbuy.ca then bringing it back to the store to purchase it through my reward certificates.

Did anyone get the Best Buy exclusive Batman with the extra
Robin
DLC? Is there a sticker on the case showing it has the content inside or was it just a separate card they gave you?

Big Chungus

Anyone know if Superstore has the Animated Batman skin for Arkham City on a separate piece of paper or is it included inside the case?

Foov

So I called futureshop to check on my batman shipping, they told me it should ship this afternoon. Also wanted to know about the price discrepancy on Batman ($47) on ICO/SOTC ($40) - I was in on the E3 preorder 5 and get $20 off each deal. Guy on the phone said that to check my batman receipt when I get it - it should be adjusted to $39 - but he claimed that when ICO/SOTC came it out it was originally priced at $59, hence I would be charged 39. Now I thought for sure that it was priced at $39 at release, am I wrong about this? And if I am right, how can I prove it, to make them give me the $20 back?

frequency

Foov said:
So I called futureshop to check on my batman shipping, they told me it should ship this afternoon. Also wanted to know about the price discrepancy on Batman ($47) on ICO/SOTC ($40) - I was in on the E3 preorder 5 and get $20 off each deal. Guy on the phone said that to check my batman receipt when I get it - it should be adjusted to $39 - but he claimed that when ICO/SOTC came it out it was originally priced at $59, hence I would be charged 39. Now I thought for sure that it was priced at $39 at release, am I wrong about this? And if I am right, how can I prove it, to make them give me the $20 back?
It was $39.99 at release. A lot of people have tried to get that $20 off, but I've only seen 2 people on forums do it successfully. The general response is the E3 deal was for games $49.99 and over so ICO/SotC wouldn't qualify anyway.
I spent 2 weeks on phone and e-mail with different reps trying to get it but I couldn't.

Batman is $47 because it was listed as $69.99 during the E3 promo. FS applying the discount to the game instead of the invoice total allows them to screw people over like this. If I hear enough people are getting their $7 for Batman back, I'll try it but I really don't want to go through their terrible customer service again for $7.

TheExodu5

Banned
Futureshop is doing a superb job with Steelbooks. The Skyrim one looks great:

Exterior:
12714iFD0F1EC66603358F

Interior:
12716i068494340683F110

Foov

frequency said:
It was $39.99 at release. A lot of people have tried to get that $20 off, but I've only seen 2 people on forums do it successfully. The general response is the E3 deal was for games $49.99 and over so ICO/SotC wouldn't qualify anyway.
I spent 2 weeks on phone and e-mail with different reps trying to get it but I couldn't.

Batman is $47 because it was listed as $69.99 during the E3 promo. FS applying the discount to the game instead of the invoice total allows them to screw people over like this. If I hear enough people are getting their $7 for Batman back, I'll try it but I really don't want to go through their terrible customer service again for $7.

Ah. I guess if I'm in the mood I'll argue about it with them. It doesn't make sense, they have a price guarantee policy that states if I preorder something at $69 and the price is reduced subsequently, I will be charged the reduced price. Since the "deal" was preorder 5 games with us and get $20 off each, that should apply to the final reduced price, not the higher placeholder one. Maybe I'll just write a strongly worded letter. I got a $50 gift card last time I did that.

frequency

Foov said:
Ah. I guess if I'm in the mood I'll argue about it with them. It doesn't make sense, they have a price guarantee policy that states if I preorder something at $69 and the price is reduced subsequently, I will be charged the reduced price. Since the "deal" was preorder 5 games with us and get $20 off each, that should apply to the final reduced price, not the higher placeholder one. Maybe I'll just write a strongly worded letter. I got a $50 gift card last time I did that.
Yeah I brought up the price guarantee and they said since I was charged 39.99 for it in the end, which is the lowest price the game has been, they're not breaking their policy.

I'm not very good at sounding cross with people though so maybe I just wasn't being assertive enough on the phone or didn't write strongly enough in my emails.
I asked my SO to help but he never got around to it...

FS crushed my spirit. :(

ElNino

TheExodu5 said:
Futureshop is doing a superb job with Steelbooks. The Skyrim one looks great:
If by superb job you mean that they are offering the Steelbooks for pre-order then not shipping them, then yes they are. I have now had three orders in a row that were made at FS specifically because they offered me the Steelbook (Gears, NHL12 and Batman AC), and I have not received the Steelbook for any of them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Switched mobile providers from Rogers to Koodo. With iMessage out, I don't really think I'll need texts much anymore, and they've got more pricing flexibility for month-on-month stuff. Also the sliding data plan worked out well for me.

I'm hoping to keep my bill below $40 a month.

Luigi87

Damn Canada Post, get your shi- together >.<
Batman arrived at the postal facility yesterday (literally 20 minutes away). Expected delivery today...And of course they don't move the thing at all.

Stumpokapow said:
Switched mobile providers from Rogers to Koodo. With iMessage out, I don't really think I'll need texts much anymore, and they've got more pricing flexibility for month-on-month stuff. Also the sliding data plan worked out well for me.

I'm hoping to keep my bill below $40 a month.

I assume you're on an iPhone then. How deep were you into your contract? How smooth was the transition?

ElNino

Lone_Prodigy said:
Pre-ordered Batman last Sunday. Arrived today with a steelbook.
Well I guess it's good that somebody is getting it, but I pre-ordered on September 26 and didn't get it. I've contacted FS, but I would imagine that whatever Steelbooks they had are probably gone.

Popstar

Has anyone ever ordered from DinoDirect? They have free shipping in Canada and Classic Controller Pros for $12.

Seems a bit too good of a deal and a quick google brings up some complaints. On the other hand, I found them through shopbot.ca which doesn't list bad sites in my experience.

EDIT: Never mind. A look through their site and at some of the product pictures makes me think they're selling knock-offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom