• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
betweenthewheels said:
What's this about? I was just wondering today how to get something delivered without signature. Sometimes they leave it at the door, other times they take it to the shipping facility.
What that does is basically allow them to scan the code in lieu of getting a signature. Basically, you're saying it's okay for them to leave the package and if it gets stolen, they are not at fault.

I made an order for BF3limited edition yesterday and was expecting my copy today. unfortunately it seem they have ran out of steelbook cases and they're waiting in more to arrive. the expected shipping date is oct30-noc8.

I was thinking of canceling and just getting a copy at GS. has anyone had any luck walking into GS/FS/BB and picking up the LE without pre-ordering?

Firestorm

Superstore seems to have a clearance on right now. Their bin has some good old titles at $7 like Pokemon Pearl / Diamond, Professor Layton 1, and others
RaySpencer said:
I asked in the battlefield thread, but it moves too fast, does anyone know where the best place to get the bf3 digital pc version?
I don't think anywhere has sales now. The retail version is tied to Origin though isn't it? So you could go with that if there's a cheap price on it.

When I tried to buy Kirby Wii at Zellers today (price matching wal-mart naturally) it rang up STOP SALE as if it had been recalled. I told them ebgames had been selling it since yesterday, so it wasn't a recall....they went out back and called head office etc, and I ended up getting Kirby sold to me as a copy of Mario Party 8 scanned in (they said, "ring it in as an old game that doesn't matter" lol) Weird, maybe it was street dated wrong in their system.

Spike

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
When I tried to buy Kirby Wii at Zellers today (price matching wal-mart naturally) it rang up STOP SALE as if it had been recalled. I told them ebgames had been selling it since yesterday, so it wasn't a recall....they went out back and called head office etc, and I ended up getting Kirby sold to me as a copy of Mario Party 8 scanned in (they said, "ring it in as an old game that doesn't matter" lol) Weird, maybe it was street dated wrong in their system.

It's because Zellers is not supposed to price match anything electronics anymore.

Firestorm said:
Superstore seems to have a clearance on right now. Their bin has some good old titles at $7 like Pokemon Pearl / Diamond, Professor Layton 1, and others
I don't think anywhere has sales now. The retail version is tied to Origin though isn't it? So you could go with that if there's a cheap price on it.

Yeah, I guess it doesnt matter if its digital or not, I just want sweet deals!

Hard to pay full price for a game that I already own on 360, but that version is just to play with some friends, we all know what the real version is :p

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, just a quick question.

I have an LG "smart" phone which truly is the biggest piece of shit known to man. I started using the internet on it while on my job by buying Rogers unlimited internet for a week for 3 bucks deal which is pretty damn good.

Anyways, the browser on the phone, if it could be even considered a browser, is close to impossible to use. It is barely functional, but my God is it terrible. It feels like it was coded by monkeys.

My question is, are the browsers in the iphone 3g good? I think 3g would be enough to fit my needs. I have no need for the extra fancy shit that comes with the later models I don't think.

I want to buy a used one. So I would just pop out my sim card? Would the iphone have to be jail broken?

Thanks guys.

Firestorm

Get a 3GS if you can. The browser on the 3G is fine but the phone runs like a pile of shit ever since the iOS4 update. What network are you on? Might be less of a headache if you go with 3GS if you're Telus or Bell.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
3G was ok at one point, but if it has iOS4 installed, it's useless. I found that things like the map wouldn't even load.

3GS for sure.

But are you sure you don't want to sign up for a 3 year contract and get an iPhone 4 for $100 or iPhone 4S for $200? You are going to be paying for a phone in Canada for the next 3 years anyway, right?

I think you should consider a modern smartphone like 4S. It's not about "power", or "bells and whistles", it's about usability. Everything's fast, solid, and just works. When you're on the go, searching for this or that, patience is not always an option. Older phones, you'll be waiting around to do the same things, getting crashes, etc.

DJ_Lae

I can't think of a good reason to get a 3G or a 3GS if you plan on being locked into a contract anyway - the small price increase to get a 4G or 4GS would be more than worth it.

The older phones just feel sluggish in comparison.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ColonelSkills said:
From the Kirby Thread

What do you mean first? Is there more planned for this/some other discounted price point? Do we know what they are?
I mean, they've done 40 dollar games before, forcing FS and BB to price match. If this becomes a consistent thing, I wouldn't mind at all. It's too bad Kirby is getting so many mixed reviews... I really want to pick it up as a Kirby fan.

Spike

ColonelSkills said:
What do you mean first? Is there more planned for this/some other discounted price point? Do we know what they are?

Yes, it is the first of the season. Wal-Mart has said that they will be continuing on with other titles.

Cheerilee

Firestorm said:
I got my steelbook today
Yeah, near as I can figure from spending way too long reading the RFD thread, this is how Futureshop screwed everything up.

During the E3 promo (and beyond), customers were asked to preorder way early, under the condition that preordering is great, and your early seat in line gets you the best of everything, so when deals and promos come up (like the steelbook), you get first dibs automatically.

Then they offered the steelbook as a preorder incentive, and took another pile of preorders.

Then someone in their website design team suggested that instead of just giving the books out with orders that were marked as preorders, they should have "steelbook: price $0" as a separate item on orders that qualify for them. Someone in charge said "That's a great idea. Let's start doing that. Right now." And some lackey said "We can take new orders that way, but what should we do about the preorders we already have? Should we just manually update each and every preorder in the system?" And the guy in charge said "I have a better idea. Fuck everyone. Nobody from the old system gets any preorder goodies."

Now since Futureshop was sitting on a pile of unclaimed steelbooks, they made a post on RFD saying that preorders for the steelbooks were open again, for anyone who missed them, oh and by the way, anyone who was screwed has the option to cancel their old preorder and re-preorder now at the back of the line. All of us were supposed to find that out by reading RFD, since it wasn't important enough for a mass email.

And then Futureshop didn't even have enough steelbooks for this new group of RFD preorders. So they gave them out randomly, mostly to this group, with no concern for when the preorders were placed, not even within the last-minute RFD group of preorders.

So they told the E3 preorder group to go fuck themselves because the idea of preordering early and getting the best deals is way too good of a deal, so Futureshop can't be expected to honor it, and they changed the terms on their site so that it says that you only get the deals that were offered at the time you placed your order. Which still doesn't excuse Futureshop, because at the time of the E3 preorders, future perks (like the steelbook) were part of the offer.

And they told the middle group of preorders to go fuck themselves, because they preordered too early, and their preorder goodies were cancelled without notice, and they should have read RFD and re-preordered if they wanted them.

And they actually told (part of) the final group of preorders to go fuck themselves, because they preordered late anyways, so what do they expect?

So after an angry email shitstorm, a Futureshop rep appeared on RFD and said that they ordered a new batch of steelbooks, and everyone who preordered should be getting one.

The second batch appears to be arriving now.

Firestorm said:
Hm interesting. Mine was during the September $10 off thing. My friend also got his steelbook today and ordered at the same time.
Did you get the PS3 Steelbook or the 360 one today? I am still waiting for my PS3 one. :/

Firestorm said:
Hm interesting. Mine was during the September $10 off thing. My friend also got his steelbook today and ordered at the same time.
Are the steel books really popular or something? Some of the ones on eBay have over 800 page views each!

PalaceBrother said:
Are the steel books really popular or something? Some of the ones on eBay have over 800 page views each!
They cater to a collectors' market. I myself have over 50 Steelbooks that I have spent way too much money on. :/
I also collect movies and games, but am starting to buy less movies now unless it is released in a Steelbook format as those hold their value much more than standard Blu-rays (in some cases, the rare ones are worth even more than what they were originally)... so if I were to sell them in the future they might still be worth something unlike standard Blu-rays. :p

ElNino

Firestorm said:
That's good to hear, I will check the mail tonight to see if I got mine. The only reason I pre-ordered AC was to get the Steelbook from FS, otherwise I would have waited until the inevitable Christmas/Boxing week sales.

TheExodu5

Banned
ColonelSkills said:
From the Kirby Thread

They've done this before for a few games. Batman: Arkham Asylum was one of them...can't remember what the other one was. Futureshop and BestBuy ended up price matching.

webrunner

Lone_Prodigy said:
Next week's flyers (FS/BB/WM). (quote to view)

Question: if I have a preorder from back during the E3 sale, does Best Buy/Futureshop give you the free stuff they end up having later? And if it's a physical object like a t-shirt, do they send it? Is there a way to pick the size? Or am I SOL there?

TheExodu5

Banned
webrunner said:
Question: if I have a preorder from back during the E3 sale, does Best Buy/Futureshop give you the free stuff they end up having later? And if it's a physical object like a t-shirt, do they send it? Is there a way to pick the size? Or am I SOL there?

SOL

Luigi87

Firestorm said:

Ditto here.
I'm quite glad. It is a very nice case.

snack

Anyone get their FS preorder of BF3 yet? I'm wondering if the Karkand DLC will come separately or if it's the same cd-key.

WEGGLES

snack said:
Anyone get their FS preorder of BF3 yet? I'm wondering if the Karkand DLC will come separately or if it's the same cd-key.
It was all the same key for me. It showed up
AT THE WRONG FUCKING ADDRESS COME ON FUCKING FUTURESHOP FSGRGFDSALHGLIESUHFRLKGJHFLKLKFDJHGLKFDJ
so I had my mom email me the key. It's all one thing. She said on the page it said "Your Battlefield 3 + Karkand DLC key" and it registers as BF3 limited edition.

snack

WEGGLES said:
It was all the same key for me. It showed up
AT THE WRONG FUCKING ADDRESS COME ON FUCKING FUTURESHOP FSGRGFDSALHGLIESUHFRLKGJHFLKLKFDJHGLKFDJ
so I had my mom email me the key. It's all one thing. She said on the page it said "Your Battlefield 3 + Karkand DLC key" and it registers as BF3 limited edition.
Lyphen said:
Same key.

Awesome. Thanks! :)

TheExodu5 said:
They've done this before for a few games. Batman: Arkham Asylum was one of them...can't remember what the other one was. Futureshop and BestBuy ended up price matching.
Dead Island was $40. I think Rage was $50.

Luigi87

Spike said:
Zelda Steelbook is now available when preordering at FutureShop. Here.

But, it is not listed as a promo with the LE bundle. FFS FS. :mad:

Probably won't offer it for LEs. I think the same was with Batman, only the regular edition got the steelbook.
(Correct me if I'm wrong).

Kazerei

Banned
Spike said:
Zelda Steelbook is now available when preordering at FutureShop. Here.

But, it is not listed as a promo with the LE bundle. FFS FS. :mad:

Thanks!

Is it possible to pre-order in-store though? I really want this launch day, and given all the complaints here I'm a little worried.

maxcer0081 said:
I made an order for BF3limited edition yesterday and was expecting my copy today. unfortunately it seem they have ran out of steelbook cases and they're waiting in more to arrive. the expected shipping date is oct30-noc8.

I was thinking of canceling and just getting a copy at GS. has anyone had any luck walking into GS/FS/BB and picking up the LE without pre-ordering?

Not true. Walked into Futureshop today and they have over a dozen steelbooks just sitting there.

Kazerei

Banned
Actually, it kind of looks weird... what could be on the back?

P4d0B.jpg

Spike

Kazerei said:
Thanks!

Is it possible to pre-order in-store though? I really want this launch day, and given all the complaints here I'm a little worried.

I'm sure you can, but since it was just put up today, I would wait until tomorrow to be sure it shows up in their system.

There have been a lot of complaints about Future Shop's pre-order process and the success rate of getting the exclusive bonuses (steelbooks).

Why would anybody consider pre-ordering them at this point? It sounds like a guaranteed set up for misery. This is a serious question-how many people are still waiting for their Batman ones?

Luigi87

Well I just got an email about 15 minutes ago about not getting the steelbook and that they've shipped out.

...Of course I say this after it already arriving in the mail today <.<;

WEGGLES

PalaceBrother said:
There have been a lot of complaints about Future Shop's pre-order process and the success rate of getting the exclusive bonuses (steelbooks).

Why would anybody consider pre-ordering them at this point? It sounds like a guaranteed set up for misery. This is a serious question-how many people are still waiting for their Batman ones?
Once my 2 cheap e3 pre-orders show up... I'm never pre-ordering from fs again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom