• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

denomes

Luigi87 said:
Well I just got an email about 15 minutes ago about not getting the steelbook and that they've shipped out.

...Of course I say this after it already arriving in the mail today <.<;

Did you have to email them first to let them know or did they just email you by their own accord. Wondering since I haven't received mine yet (actually two of them).

Firestorm

The steelbook will likely go for more than the game on eBay if it's Future Shop exclusive (aka Canada exclusive). Whelp. A third pre-order never hurt anyone I guess...

Lothars

Crazymoogle said:
... wow, you guys weren't kidding about how bad Purolator is.
I've never had an issue with Purolator but UPS on the other hand is terrible and should never be allowed to ship anything.

DJ_Lae

Crazymoogle said:
... wow, you guys weren't kidding about how bad Purolator is.

I've actually had pretty good luck with them this time around. Of course, I'm probably in the minority as I work from home and rarely have to deal with picking items up at a depot.

(although when I do, I find UPS to be the worst as they default to attempting another delivery. Purolator just dumps it at the nearest location a la Canada Post)

DJ_Lae said:
I've actually had pretty good luck with them this time around. Of course, I'm probably in the minority as I work from home and rarely have to deal with picking items up at a depot.

(although when I do, I find UPS to be the worst as they default to attempting another delivery. Purolator just dumps it at the nearest location a la Canada Post)

Well, so far here's my experience:

1. Attempted delivery but leaves no notification, nor is an alert sent to the ph# registered for the package. (I think someone here mentioned this.)

2. The package is sent to a distribution depot 5km away rather than to the nearest pickup office.

3. After registering on purolator's website you find out there is no way to schedule an office-pickup except by calling them directly. :/

Lothars

Crazymoogle said:

1. Attempted delivery but leaves no notification, nor is an alert sent to the ph# registered for the package. (I think someone here mentioned this.)

2. The package is sent to a distribution depot 5km away rather than to the nearest pickup office.

3. After registering on purolator's website you find out there is no way to schedule an office-pickup except by calling them directly. :/
Wow that's insane, It sucks it's been so problematic.

I hope that it gets fixed ASAP, I would be pissed.

Lothars said:
Wow that's insane, It sucks it's been so problematic.

I hope that it gets fixed ASAP, I would be pissed.

Well it's hardly the worst treatment I've had by a delivery company, but it certainly doesn't make me feel better about the next 6 packages Futureshop will send...

Vamphuntr

Crazymoogle said:

You're lucky that the depot is only 5 km away. Mine is about 45 minutes away (by car). In my region I had issues with all big 3 available (CP, UPS, Puro)

CP has poor track record regarding delivery card and notifications. I once checked tracking to see that my package was already delivered while I had yet to receive it. Drove all the way to the postal office to have an angry rep yell at me until she realized that they had the package in their storeroom and it was scanned for no reason. Most of the time they fail to leave me an Attempted delivery card so I have to check the tracking myself most of the time.

UPS always try to overcharge brokers' fee on international orders. That fee is purely random. Sometimes you pay 10$ on a 20$ items, sometimes you pay 5$ on a 100$ items and so on.

Purolator actually lost one my package once. It was a game which was packaged separately from it's preorder bonus (poster + mini guide). The geniuses at Gamestop or Purolator gave the same tracking number to both packages. As such, I only received the bonus and not the game and the tracking showed that both were delivered. Where the hell the game went? Who knows. I guess they lost one and since both tracking were the same they didn't care to look for it. Thankfully, GS refunded me.

Lothars

Crazymoogle said:
Well it's hardly the worst treatment I've had by a delivery company, but it certainly doesn't make me feel better about the next 6 packages Futureshop will send...
I hope it goes well, I've been fortunate and Futureshop send the game on the monday and I recieve it on tuesday with no issues.

I hear you, Vamphuntr. I'm just saying for living in the downtown core of a major city, I expect better from them :)

Lothars said:
I hope it goes well, I've been fortunate and Futureshop send the game on the monday and I recieve it on tuesday with no issues.

I more or less expect not to get stuff on time, but without too much legwork is all I ask. ;') (I guess it could be worse. It could ship on Amazon.ca time.)

btkadams

are there any deals on arkham asylum (ps3) going on right now? i've never played it but the arkham city reviews are pushing me.

Cactus

Banned
For those who have contacted Future Shop Support by email in the past, is it normal for the page to redirect to "Customer Support - Hot Topics" page after pressing submit?

I emailed them to try and confirm that my previous Zelda order would be receiving a steelbook, and it just seemed strange to me that there wasn't any confirmation that my email had actually been sent.

B-Dex

Purolator thinks my house doesn't exist. So fuck them. Worst company to deal with. They drop pakages the next city over, a 35min drive to pick-up too.

Luigi87

Cactus said:
For those who have contacted Future Shop Support by email in the past, is it normal for the page to redirect to "Customer Support - Hot Topics" page after pressing submit?

I emailed them to try and confirm that my previous Zelda order would be receiving a steelbook, and it just seemed strange to me that there wasn't any confirmation that my email had actually been sent.

That happened to me, I didn't trust it, so I sent an actual email to them at service@futureshop.com

B-Dex said:
Purolator thinks my house doesn't exist. So fuck them. Worst company to deal with. They drop pakages the next city over, a 35min drive to pick-up too.

My order of Dark Souls Collector's Edition was shipped back to Future Shop over address issues. Took them 3 weeks to let me know the issue, and that's after I called Purolator, Ingram Micro and Future Shop.

I got my money refunded and can order again but Collector's Editions are long gone... so fuck them.

Firestorm

btkadams said:
are there any deals on arkham asylum (ps3) going on right now? i've never played it but the arkham city reviews are pushing me.
Wal-Mart sells a 2-pack of Arkham Asylum + Arkham City for $60.

Cactus said:

You won't get it: http://www.futureshop.ca/Marketing/Promotions/PromotionPopup.aspx?Id=4240

*This SteelBook promotion is only effective between October 26 and November 20 and does not apply to previous orders. Please note this offer cannot be combined with any other promotion.

jcutner

anyone know if future shop / best buy are doing midnight launches for uncharted 3?
it seems like gamestop is but in strange locations (ottawa, guelph, etc)

Spike

Just wanted to say that I got a reply from FutureShop in regards to a tweet I sent them about the Steelbook with the CE:

@neospike Nope, we are close to pre-ordering all our units on the LE version. Steelbook will only be on the regular edition!

Spike

Here is the Steelbook:

86852313.jpg

11178300.jpg

-------

I'm conflicted. I want the controller and the steelbook equally. Why couldn't they just do the easy thing and offer it with the LE?

Now, which one to get...

iLLmAtlc

Question to everybody who took part in the Futureshop E3 promo and have received games: How was the shipping? Did the games arrive in a timely manner?

I've pre-ordered from them in the past (God of War III and AC2) and both of those games either had release day shipping or the day after. However, I'm a little concerned since I pre-ordered U3 and I'm afraid they might play the "demand" card and have it take a week or something.

big_z

iLLmAtlc said:
Question to everybody who took part in the Futureshop E3 promo and have received games: How was the shipping? Did the games arrive in a timely manner?

I've pre-ordered from them in the past (God of War III and AC2) and both of those games either had release day shipping or the day after. However, I'm a little concerned since I pre-ordered U3 and I'm afraid they might play the "demand" card and have it take a week or something.
It's a crap shoot from what I can tell. With bf3 There's people that ordered around e3 and their game still hasn't shipped or is stuck in shipping hell. Then there's people like me who preordered two days before release and have the game already. Overall average seems to be 5 work days to get a game in my experience.

Getting preorder bonuses is becoming luck based as well. Odds are if the bonus didn't ship with the game you won't get it. On the up side if you email customer support they will give you a $10+ discount code instead.

Spike

FutureShop works on the LIFO system. Also, this is ridiculous that you have to order during a specific time period to get a steelbook. They should just give it to everyone who has preordered already.

i sent futureshop an email saying that they had lost a customer due to their nonresponse to my ico rebate being bunk (if you'll recall i got an enthusiastic letter explaining how i saved 20 bucks off a 60 dollar game, DERP)

At first i just considered my email a last ditch idle threat. But then i realised that they actually did lose a customer. Hope they are happy.

Firestorm

Well that's a pretty box. I think I've decided what I'll do.

Keep my:
$40 E3 Regular Edition Pre-Order
$50 Steelbook Regular Edition Pre-Order
$60 September Limited Edition Pre-Order

Sell the two regular edition games on Craigslist. Keep Limited Edition + Steelbook.

BKXB

Economist
iLLmAtlc said:

I pre-ordered BF3 during the E3 sale. Received it by Purolator the morning of release day.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Firestorm said:
Well that's a pretty box. I think I've decided what I'll do.

Keep my:
$40 E3 Regular Edition Pre-Order
$50 Steelbook Regular Edition Pre-Order
$60 September Limited Edition Pre-Order

Sell the two regular edition games on Craigslist. Keep Limited Edition + Steelbook.

Or sell Steelbox to desperate collectors in the US, and triple the profits!

Anth0ny

It looks like they designed that steelbook before they knew it was going to be called Skyward Sword. Old ass, Twilight Princess style promotional art, and "The Legend of Zelda" on the spine.

Good job Future Shop.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm usually a big fan of their steelbooks, but that one doesn't look right...it looks like Twilight Princess, as you say.

What's the official box art? This?

Legend_of_Zelda_Skyward_Sword_boxart.png

Tough call...

It's not a tough call at all. Do you want some lame-o case that you can admire like a dork or a GOLDEN WIIMOTE (Not made of real gold. Sorry.) BLESSED BY MIYAMOTO?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Don't give into Futureshop's money grabbing ways, people! At the very least, buy and then sell those steelbooks for massive profits.

Quick

Banned
Not a fan of the cover of the steelbook. I'd have preferred the back art to be on the front.

Future Shop's Harry Potter steelbooks aren't anything spectacular either, but I do own a couple, and for the sake of my collection, I'll probably end up buying them all.

The best steelbooks I've seen from them (which I own) are the Inception and Angels and Demons steelbooks. So nice.

Cactus

Banned
I'm having some serious trouble with FS customer support. They're refusing to acknowledge that I'm being charged $10 more for my Zelda E3 pre-order.

I swear, if the next reply that comes is as unhelpful as the last, I'm just going to cancel my order outright.

Luigi87

I just got an email from FutureShop.ca

Due to the whole Batman mess, I got a code for 5% off my next purchase (Exp. Nov 21st)

Naturally others should have got, or be getting this code soon.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yuck to both. Steelbook's black is un-Zelda, and the Nintendo cover has suffers from ye olde plague of too many logos. I'm certain the art cover thread will provide a much better option.

Lothars said:
I've never had an issue with Purolator but UPS on the other hand is terrible and should never be allowed to ship anything.

wow tell me about it. they fuckin mangled the shit out of gate when they tried to back out of my driveway in the summer.

I tried to call them and get it fixed but in the end I had to repair it myself.

Giard

Luigi87 said:
I just got an email from FutureShop.ca

Due to the whole Batman mess, I got a code for 5% off my next purchase (Exp. Nov 21st)

Naturally others should have got, or be getting this code soon.
Yep, they're also shipping the Steelbook.

Darrenm

Neo Member
I'm having some serious trouble with FS customer support. They're refusing to acknowledge that I'm being charged $10 more for my Zelda E3 pre-order.

I swear, if the next reply that comes is as unhelpful as the last, I'm just going to cancel my order outright.

This happened to me with Child of Eden or something way back. You'll get nowhere with FS/Best Buy support unless you actually call them. After a 15 minutes call with me explaining it several times over, I was credited $10 on the order.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wow. Finally.

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on September 26 2011 (Order# xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx). We've listed the item(s) listed below with the expected delivery date(s):

Future Press "Dark Souls the Official Guide Hardcover"
Estimated arrival date: November 01 2011

Takuan

I didn't realize Future Shop wasn't including steelbooks with E3 pre-orders. I just pre-ordered Skyrim again... will just return the bloody game without the steelbook and claim I never got it.

Fuck you, Future Shop!

WEGGLES

Takuan said:
I didn't realize Future Shop wasn't including steelbooks with E3 pre-orders. I just pre-ordered Skyrim again... will just return the bloody game without the steelbook and claim I never got it.

Fuck you, Future Shop!
That's been my reaction to any sort of order from Futureshop.

Takuan said:

Fuck you, Future Shop!

I would too, but it isn't worth $20 to me.

TheExodu5

Banned
Takuan said:

Fuck you, Future Shop!

That's called fraud.

Anth0ny

Anyone see Sonic Generations anywhere? Apparently Best Buy is breaking the street date in the US... Canada never does this stuff but I might as well ask.

TheExodu5

Banned
narcosis219 said:
That's okay. Because fuck you futureshop!

?

You have the choice in between $20 off or a free Steelbook. Regardless, they're giving you a better deal than other stores. It might not be financially viable for them to offer both $20 off and the Steelbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom