• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I had understood that the RCSS points sale started today (that's what the guy at the store said this morning). They open at 7 AM yet when I arrived at 8 AM the shelves were empty. He was able to find 2 more packages of 1400 pts in the back (no more 2800 pts) so I lucked out and got some... but it seems if you have any interest in this points sale at all you better move FAST (at least in Ottawa area).

Takao

Banned
I'm scarred about the Wal-Mart deal, lol. I've been feeling pretty sick this week and won't be able to go shopping until at least Monday.

Thankfully, that sale is month long so I still have a shot to load up.

Oracle Dragon said:
Wow, I had understood that the RCSS points sale started today (that's what the guy at the store said this morning). They open at 7 AM yet when I arrived at 8 AM the shelves were empty. He was able to find 2 more packages of 1400 pts in the back (no more 2800 pts) so I lucked out and got some... but it seems if you have any interest in this points sale at all you better move FAST (at least in Ottawa area).
Ditto. God db rfd hoarders. I got the last 2 1400pt cards left. None for the friends who have jobs and such

ShaneB

Oracle Dragon said:

I'll be price matching at walmart and hope to score some that way. Shouldn't be an issue.

ElNino

Oracle Dragon said:
I tried to price match at BB today during my lunch but they wouldn't let me. They claim that the computer won't let them override the price on individual cards (sounds like BS to me). It would probably explain why they still had tons of cards on the shelf, I figured the RFD hoard would have moved in at open to PM them all.

Oh well, I'll try my local RCSS when I get home from work tonight but I'm not optimistic.

NYR

snorggy said:
My U3 shipped today finally :D

Purolator :(
As did mine BUUUUUUUUUUUUT...

I walked in to a FS last night with a printed copy of my order, which had 4 other games on it from the E3 sale, 2 of which shipped already to me before the release date (BF3, Gears 3).

Asked for a Price Match, telling them that they had hundreds of copies, and I pre-ordered back in June, and FS usually ships the games on time but didn't this time. Asked for a price match, and they shockingly did it.

Strange with the weird shipping issues... The 2 of the 3 that I pre-ordered back during the E3 sale have not been an issue.

Gears3 - Arrived day of release along with some tin of bandaids
U3 - Arrived this Wednesday
Skyrim - Hopefully no issues with that one

IllumiNate

LegendOfGood said:
I'm so getting some PSN cards this weekend!

Deal does not start until the 8th of November! It also includes 2x 1400 M$ points cards for $30 aswell
I'll be buying 6 cards myself

Future Shop will price match them. It was cumbersome, but they'll do it:

You can pay full price for the card, then take your receipt to customer service. They will "price protect" it for you and give you a new receipt to take back to the cashier. The cashier will then give you the refund
(served in a man's hat)

Net result: 1400 points for $8.99 + tax.

Saw Child of Eden for $20 on 360 at FS. While I was there I also saw SMT: Strange Journey for DS on sale for $9.97. Full package with music CD.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
PalaceBrother said:
Future Shop will price match them. It was cumbersome, but they'll do it:

You can pay full price for the card, then take your receipt to customer service. They will "price protect" it for you and give you a new receipt to take back to the cashier. The cashier will then give you the refund
(served in a man's hat)

Net result: 1400 points for $8.99 + tax.
Do they require a flyer, or are they calling it in?

Takao

Banned
CottonBaller said:
Deal does not start until the 8th of November! It also includes 2x 1400 M$ points cards for $30 aswell
I'll be buying 6 cards myself

Yeah, I completely forgot when it starts. The deal runs Nov. 8 - 28.

pr0cs

Went out at lunch not expecting much luck but got the last 2800 point card and one 1400 card, they still had 3-4 1400 cards.
This was in NW Calgary.

Either way I'm glad for once I got in on a good deal before someone bought up everything.

ShaneB

Lyphen said:

Want to know this as well, having trouble getting a hard copy of the flyer and would love to not have to go to a Superstore just to get a flyer. And there's a futureshop right next to me here at work.

Riptwo

pr0cs said:
Went out at lunch not expecting much luck but got the last 2800 point card and one 1400 card, they still had 3-4 1400 cards.
This was in NW Calgary.

Either way I'm glad for once I got in on a good deal before someone bought up everything.

Damn, I'm in the NW too, so I think I'll hold off trying after work. Weather-related horror has pretty much nixed my desire to drive for something that may or may not be in stock.

Firestorm

Oh, I haven't been keeping up with Vita. It will take PSN Cash cards? Will all games also be available digitally? I might need to get in on this if so...

Also thank you Future Shop for sending me e-mail notices that Zelda hasn't shipped yet while I am waiting for my email saying Uncharted 3 has shipped.

Lyphen said:

ShaneB said:
Want to know this as well, having trouble getting a hard copy of the flyer and would love to not have to go to a Superstore just to get a flyer. And there's a futureshop right next to me here at work.

I waved my phone with the RCSS page displayed at them and they laughed saying, "we'll have to check ourselves". They called it in, so you shouldn't have a problem price matching sans flyer.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RFD posted that Koodo is changing their "data saver" plan. Data saver is basically a flexible data plan, where you pay for the tier you use every month.

Code:
New (MB)	Cost	Old (MB)
0-25 		$5	0-5
26-100		$10	6-100
101-300		$15	101-200
301-1GB		$20	201-300
		$25	301-500
1-3GB		$30	501-1000

Above 3GB
2c/MB			2c/MB

This benefits everyone on Koodo, because no tiers are more expensive than they used to be and most tiers are cheaper. Koodo also sells $25/month standalone 2GB plans--the only people who are hurt by using the new data saver plan are people regularly using above 1GB but below 2GB, who would save $5 by switching to the standalone 2GB plan.

The way I'm set up, my smartphone (voice and data) would cost me $30-35 a month under the new plan. My old Rogers plan was ~$78. It was a better plan but it was overkill.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Takao said:
Yeah, I completely forgot when it starts. The deal runs Nov. 8 - 28.
The girl at Walmart told me they wouldn't price protect them if I bought them today and came back on Tuesday. :(

Instead of putting the PSN cards back on the rack I hid them. :)

Fuzzy said:
The girl at Walmart told me they wouldn't price protect them if I bought them today and came back on Tuesday. :(

I remember finding some firesale product hidden away somewhere (out of stock on the original rack). Took them like a total dick. I felt guilty then ran the fuck out of the aisle 5 seconds later when a person approached and was gawking all over the spot where it was hidden.

BUT I SAVED 5 DOLLARS.

Takao

Banned
Fuzzy said:

Ah, sorry! I thought the sale started today until the 28th...

Firestorm said:
Oh, I haven't been keeping up with Vita. It will take PSN Cash cards? Will all games also be available digitally? I might need to get in on this if so...

Yes to both questions. It's using the same wallet you have for PS3/PSP purchases.

Fuzzy

narcosis219 said:
I remember finding some firesale product hidden away somewhere (out of stock on the original rack). Took them like a total dick. I felt guilty then ran the fuck out of the aisle 5 seconds later when a person approached and was gawking all over the spot where it was hidden.

BUT I SAVED 5 DOLLARS.
I won't feel bad if someone finds them and buys them since it's only 2 cards. It'll be funny when they do find them because of where I put them. :)

I've got a question about Best Buy's Reward Zone points when you buy stuff online. I pre-ordered Batman AC, Battlefield 3 and Uncharted 3, but none of them are showing up in my Pending Transaction Activity or Posted Transaction Activity. I only have purchases made in store or done with store pickup listed.

Does it just take longer for them to add online purchases? I've checked the orders and I do have my Reward Zone # applied to them. I know it takes 30-ish days to apply the 800 bonus points, but shouldn't I already have the initial base price points for purchasing them or will that not show until the 800 bonus kicks in as well?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
ThirstyFly said:
I've got a question about Best Buy's Reward Zone points when you buy stuff online. I pre-ordered Batman AC, Battlefield 3 and Uncharted 3, but none of them are showing up in my Pending Transaction Activity or Posted Transaction Activity. I only have purchases made in store or done with store pickup listed.

Does it just take longer for them to add online purchases? I've checked the orders and I do have my Reward Zone # applied to them. I know it takes 30-ish days to apply the 800 bonus points, but shouldn't I already have the initial base price points for purchasing them or will that not show until the 800 bonus kicks in as well?
Call in. Best Buy Reward Zone is the shadiest point promotion their is. They'll forget to award you points (which...should be an automatic process considering it's all done at the cash digitally), and tell you it's after the 30 day period, so the points application is no longer available for your purchase.

I'm just about done shopping there.

Went in and bought 4 1400 point cards at Walmart today, she was having trouble ringing them in, so she had to do it manually.

...Then we saw it didnt start till the 8th. woops! I didnt know, I wasnt reading it all, I felt pretty bad, but she said it was alright. Im glad I didnt have to wait.

Foov

My uncharted 3 finally shipped today, but I don't want to wait until Monday for it to arrive. If I go to futureshop and just buy the standard game today, I'll be able to return the one that is shipped to me next week with the receipt right? They're not different in any way?

Fuzzy

ThirstyFly said:

I've always had to contact them (usually through the site itself) to have them add the points for the purchase plus the bonus 800 points for pre-orders (if applicable). Funny thing was just recently they sent me all the points I've contacted them about in the past again saying sorry there was an error that I never received them. That means I ended up getting double the points for those orders. :)

Fuzzy said:
I've always had to contact them (usually through the site itself) to have them add the points for the purchase plus the bonus 800 points for pre-orders (if applicable). Funny thing was just recently they sent me all the points I've contacted them about in the past again saying sorry there was an error that I never received them. That means I ended up getting double the points for those orders. :)

Heh. Okay, thanks guys. I'll send them an email tomorrow and see what's up. Hopefully their Reward Zone support guys are different than the general bestbuy.ca site guys because they've proven to be useless to me.

Fuzzy

ThirstyFly said:
Heh. Okay, thanks guys. I'll send them an email tomorrow and see what's up. Hopefully their Reward Zone support guys are different than the general bestbuy.ca site guys because they've proven to be useless to me.
I've always done the emails in this format. Hope it helps.

I'm missing points and would like them added to my account. It shows my member ID number on the order page but I never receive the points for online orders. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thank you for the help.

Order Number: xxxxxxxx
I never received the points for this order ($xx.xx before tax) or the 800 bonus points for pre-ordering the game.

SickBoy

Fuzzy said:

Good on you for asking. Assuming what you were told was right (and I don't doubt it, as these are register-activated cards, after all), I expect there will be a lot of tirades/tales on RFD about how people berated WM staff on Tuesday... whether successful or not.

These cards aren't packaged goods, like a game, after all... and to simply expect that they'll be treated as such seems presumptuous.

RS4-

FS calls them in, before they used to not care, even if you showed them a receipt or scan of one on your phone.

I did my 2x 2800 at BB for $40; my buddy at FS couldn't do the points as his manager was there. I didn't feel like going to WM even though all three places were within a 5 minute walk.

I don't think I need that many points.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can someone point me to the details of these various points deals you are all talking about? And how long they're on?

Lothars

Oracle Dragon said:
I went to superstore this morning at 7 am and was told the electronics didn't open till 8 am and nothing I could do, so I grabbed a flyer and drove to the walmart accross the street.

They price matched for me and I picked up 6 2800 points, not to horde or resell but to use myself. I normally wouldn't spend that much but I don't regret buying so many since I won't have to buy points for a long time.

Lothars

enzo_gt said:
Can someone point me to the details of these various points deals you are all talking about? And how long they're on?
Superstore has 1400 points for 10 dollars and 2800 points for 20 dollars starting today till next week.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up 4 x 2800 point cards today Superstore. They had quite a few. Nice to know Walmart is price matching. Such a good deal.

My brother in Saskatchewan went this morning to get some and one guy almost cleared it out buying $250 worth of points.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lothars said:
Superstore has 1400 points for 10 dollars and 2800 points for 20 dollars starting today till next week.
And Walmart has 40 dollars for 30 on PSN cards and Xbox Live cards (although, of course, this is 10 dollars more than the Superstore deal).

snack

SCHUEY F1 said:
Picked up 4 x 2800 point cards today Superstore. They had quite a few. Nice to know Walmart is price matching. Such a good deal.

My brother in Saskatchewan went this morning to get some and one guy almost cleared it out buying $250 worth of points.
Selling any? I'll take one off your hands. My RCSS ran out of 1400 and 2800 pt cards. :(

SCHUEY F1 said:

Redflagdeals strikes yet again!

Achtius

Stumpokapow said:
RFD posted that Koodo is changing their "data saver" plan. Data saver is basically a flexible data plan, where you pay for the tier you use every month.

Code:
New (MB)	Cost	Old (MB)
0-25 		$5	0-5
26-100		$10	6-100
101-300		$15	101-200
301-1GB		$20	201-300
		$25	301-500
1-3GB		$30	501-1000

Above 3GB
2c/MB			2c/MB

This benefits everyone on Koodo, because no tiers are more expensive than they used to be and most tiers are cheaper. Koodo also sells $25/month standalone 2GB plans--the only people who are hurt by using the new data saver plan are people regularly using above 1GB but below 2GB, who would save $5 by switching to the standalone 2GB plan.

The way I'm set up, my smartphone (voice and data) would cost me $30-35 a month under the new plan. My old Rogers plan was ~$78. It was a better plan but it was overkill.

can you post the link? i search koodo on rfd, doesnt' seem to show up

Got quite a haul today, picked up a silver Xbox controller, $40 worth of PSN points, 3x2800 and 2x1400 Xbox points. The 1400 points are kind of a mistake since I didn't realize that the Superstore deal existed and when I tried to return them Wal-Mart wouldn't let me. Oh well I'm sure I'll find someone around here to take em off my hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom