• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

After a week delay in Canada, Fate/Extra shipped.
GameStop.ca was supposed to ship a pre-order booklet with it... They did not.

I seem to have real bad luck with pre-order bonuses lately.

Guesong said:
So is there any deal in Canada or on the Internet for Skyrim?

The only one I can think of is the IGN Prime thing, but I'm not seeing the 30 day free trial option anymore.

If you buy it at Future Shop you get a $10 coupon towards Diablo III.

Also if you have an FS receipt for Dark Souls or RAGE you get $10 off Skyrim.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Whee, screwed by a missed Purolator shipment again. I wish I got a delayed shipment, because at least I would get free money. :p

Takuan

I'm going to pick up MW3 from the Purolator depot tonight. Extra hassle, but it's barely 10 minutes away from my place, so no huge skin off my back.

So, it's Remembrance Day Friday. Does that mean any orders shipped via Canada Post will be delayed to Monday?

Luigi87

Takuan said:
I'm going to pick up MW3 from the Purolator depot tonight. Extra hassle, but it's barely 10 minutes away from my place, so no huge skin off my back.

So, it's Remembrance Day Friday. Does that mean any orders shipped via Canada Post will be delayed to Monday?
Most likely as government related offices are closed.

Maximus

I received a $10 voucher from Best Buy for the delay in my Uncharted 3 shipment, despite my order being with Futureshop. For those who ordered from FS and received the voucher, did the email come from FS or from BB? I realize that FS is owned by BB, but I assumed the email (and the code) would come from the former as they still operate independently, and they would want any future purchases with them.

Takuan

Luigi87 said:
Most likely as government related offices are closed.
lolgif! Thankfully, I think my E3 pre-order for Skyrim will ship Purolator. MW3 shipped this way for me, but my buddy who pre-ordered recently had it shipped via Canada Post. I'll probably have to wait until Monday for my steelbook pre-order.

UberTag

Anyone expecting to dive into Skyrim over the weekend had better be prepared to buy the game from brick & mortar retail on Friday, await the arrival of their Future Shop/Best Buy preorder early next week and to make a second trip to retail to exchange their mailed copy.

Lothars

UberTag said:
Anyone expecting to dive into Skyrim over the weekend had better be prepared to buy the game from brick & mortar retail on Friday, await the arrival of their Future Shop/Best Buy preorder early next week and to make a second trip to retail to exchange their mailed copy.
I'm expecting Skyrim and Assassin's creed to ship next monday.

Takuan

UberTag said:
Not if their orders ship Purolator. Private courier, mang.

UberTag said:
I preordered Skyrim during the E3 sale... Apparently Futureshop has a steelbook edition; does anyone know which version the E3 preorders will get? I definitely want to pick up the game on Friday, but I don't want to pick up the wrong version and get stuck with two copies by not being able to return my shipped copy.

Anybody out near the Brantford, Ontario area want a copy of the LE MGS collection for Xbox? I have one on hold at an EB, but I decided to go for the PS3 version instead.

Cactus

Banned
Mike Works said:
I preordered Skyrim during the E3 sale... Apparently Futureshop has a steelbook edition; does anyone know which version the E3 preorders will get? I definitely want to pick up the game on Friday, but I don't want to pick up the wrong version and get stuck with two copies by not being able to return my shipped copy.
Based on my own personal experience, they will most likely send you the standard edition.

Takao

Banned
I went to Wal-Mart today to grab the PSN cards to be greeted with this: The 2 $20 PSN cards for $30 is only applicable to the black plastic PSN, not the white composite ones. This is despite the fact that the black cards haven't been made for around a year. Scanning the white ones will not automatically subtract $10, but instead just go for regular price, this is a clearance sale.

So in short these ones (as advertised in the flyer) aren't applicable:
LScG8.png

But rather these ones:
0HOj1.jpg

So instead of dropping $300 on $400 worth of PSN cards, I spent $30 on $40 worth of PSN cards (as there were only 2 black ones left at Dufferin Mall). AFAIK Xbox Live cards are fine. I'm hoping this wasn't intentional, and that sometime later in the month the white cards work as I'd rather not have to PM another store, since this is likely a loss price on the cards.

Takuan

Mike Works said:
You will NOT get the steelbook. The steelbook is a different pre-order incentive entirely, and is its own SKU just for the case. It comes separately with the standard edition of Skyrim as a pack-in.

FYI, if you pick up the steelbook on day 1 at the store, you're paying $60 + tax for the game. They will scan the steelbook so that it appears on your receipt, and you won't be able to return the product without the steelbook as well (unless the FS employee isn't particularly diligent or you raise a stink). But you'll be able to return your E3 pre-order no problem.

lupinko

Takao said:
I went to Wal-Mart today to grab the PSN cards to be greeted with this: The 2 $20 PSN cards for $30 is only applicable to the black plastic PSN, not the white composite ones. This is despite the fact that the black cards haven't been made for around a year. Scanning the white ones will not automatically subtract $10, but instead just go for regular price, this is a clearance sale.

LScG8.png

But rather these ones:
0HOj1.jpg

So instead of dropping $300 on $400 worth of PSN cards, I spent $30 on $40 worth of PSN cards (as there were only 2 black ones left at Dufferin Mall). AFAIK Xbox Live cards are fine. I'm hoping this wasn't intentional, and that sometime later in the month the white cards work as I'd rather not have to PM another store, since this is likely a loss price on the cards.

Hmm, can we just price match this at Best Buy and FS then ?

Takao

Banned
Reading the RFD thread, it seems a lot of FS, and BB locations are denying a price match on PSN and Xbox Points.

Hamster0

Takao said:

LScG8.png

But rather these ones:
0HOj1.jpg

thats odd cuz i went to the walmart at dufferin mall in the morning, they only had the white ones. i had no problem getting the 2 for 30

Conceptor

Takao said:

http://i.imgur.com/LScG8.png/IMG]

But rather these ones:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0HOj1.jpg/IMG]

So instead of dropping $300 on $400 worth of PSN cards, I spent $30 on $40 worth of PSN cards (as there were only 2 black ones left at Dufferin Mall). AFAIK Xbox Live cards are fine. I'm hoping this wasn't intentional, and that sometime later in the month the white cards work as I'd rather not have to PM another store, since this is likely a loss price on the cards.[/QUOTE]
I don't follow PSN card deals at all, so how is this? If it's a good deal I'll consider picking some up for some friends from the supercenter nearby.

Takao

Banned
Hamster0 said:
thats odd cuz i went to the walmart at dufferin mall in the morning, they only had the white ones. i had no problem getting the 2 for 30

The cashier and the people at electronics I talked to said their manager told them the white cards wouldn't work. I went around 4PM if anyone's wondering.

They had stacks, so if it is the case, I'll go again later on in the sale and get them, haha.

Conceptor said:
I don't follow PSN card deals at all, so how is this? If it's a good deal I'll consider picking some up for some friends from the supercenter nearby.

PSN cards almost never go on sale, so it's a good deal. I don't live near an RCSS so that's why I'm jumping in on this deal.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PSN cards never go on sale, so it's good.

My FS wouldn't price match them because they are those 'register' style cards or whatever and Zellers doesn't PM cards either. Lame.

Edit: Anyone here pick up Fate/Extra and have any problems getting the pre-order book?

KarmaCow

Anyone know if you can use reward zone gift certificates to preorder games? I tried calling a local Bestbuy but oddly no one answered. :(

SickBoy

KarmaCow said:
Anyone know if you can use reward zone gift certificates to preorder games? I tried calling a local Bestbuy but oddly no one answered. :(

My success rate in talking to a real person over the phone at Best Buy is incredibly low.

Takao said:
The cashier and the people at electronics I talked to said their manager told them the white cards wouldn't work. I went around 4PM if anyone's wondering.

They had stacks, so if it is the case, I'll go again later on in the sale and get them, haha.

Confirming like the other guy that the white cards worked fine. Sounds like your Walmart had idiot managers. Got my 2 for 30 no issue.

Kazerei said:
Quick question, when buying PSN points cards from retail, do you have pay taxes?

I don't think so, but i wouldnt be surprised if certain states or provinces did do it.

Takao said:
Reading the RFD thread, it seems a lot of FS, and BB locations are denying a price match on PSN and Xbox Points.

I tried price matching on psn cards, didnt work

Picked up 2 WHITE cards at walmart and it scanned right up no jiggering around required. Cost me 30 even, very pleased.

lupinko

Kazerei said:
Quick question, when buying PSN points cards from retail, do you have pay taxes?
No, the price on the card is the one you'll pay at retail. Also if you use PSN cards, there's no tax on PSN purchases whereas paying with a cc will result in GST.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
lupinko said:
No, the price on the card is the one you'll pay at retail. Also if you use PSN cards, there's no tax on PSN purchases whereas paying with a cc will result in GST.
I haven't paid tax on PSN using my CC since the PSN hack.

Neki

I really wish I could get the steelbook from Futureshop for Skyward Sword and the golden wii mote bundle. D:

ElNino

KarmaCow said:
No, RZ certificates can only be used instore.

Fuzzy

ElNino said:
No, RZ certificates can only be used instore.
You can pre-order games in-store. That doesn't answer whether or not RZ certificates can be used though.

ElNino

Fuzzy said:
You can pre-order games in-store. That doesn't answer whether or not RZ certificates can be used though.
That's true, I've only pre-ordered online so I forgot about that. If they are processing the transaction instore then you might be able to use it.

isny

napkin dispenser
Fuzzy said:

I've used them in store to preorder multiple times with no problem.

daevv

I just called my EB Games here in Newfoundland and asked if they were open on Friday. They are not but will be opening at 12:30am Saturday morning if I wanted to get Skyrim. So technically Skyrim is not released till the 12th in NL. Unless I'm out late Friday night and my Designated driver (see: wife) will bring me I'll be waiting till Sat sometime to get my copy.

Crazymoogle said:
Stone cold lock once I saw there was a real Ridge Racer game coming. That being said, I'm only buying the Wifi model and will probably just end up buying the biggest memory card. 3G seems utterly pointless for this system and 4GB doesn't really fly when some games shipping will be that size...16GB+ seems mandatory if you want a PSP-Go like experience in terms of PlayStation store content.

hahaha you've always been about teh ridgeracers. Yeah, you're right, I'm getting the Wifi one too. Are they using the same memory cards as the PSP Go? I bought a spare 32gb one when rogers was having their 50% off all things PSP.

shagg_187 said:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/gamers-club.aspx

2x Reward Zone points for every dollar spent? Sign me up!

Is this a limited time offer? Or is it for life?

suikodan said:
And about that Gamer's Club, I wonder... I have a VISA BB RZ where I already have 2X RZ points when buying stuff there, does the Gamer's club add another multiplier?

Oooh, it totally should, since we're gamers and all!

firehawk12 said:
Edit: Anyone here pick up Fate/Extra and have any problems getting the pre-order book?

I had to literally ask, because the EB clerks didn't know what I was talking about until I said "Um, there was supposed to be a magazine?" and the clerk said "Oooh! So THAT'S what those are! I was wondering why we got these weird anime magazines..."

Fuzzy

isny said:
I've used them in store to preorder multiple times with no problem.
Do you get the same pre-order bonuses in-store as online? I would assume so but it would be nice for a confirmation.

isny

napkin dispenser
Fuzzy said:
Do you get the same pre-order bonuses in-store as online? I would assume so but it would be nice for a confirmation.

Depends on if it's offered in store and online. All preorder bonuses are YMMV usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom