• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

Quadratic said:
This Futureshop E3 sale has been good for me. Every game thus far has arrived on release day.
I would have been in the same boat here except for the orders I cancelled out & recreated to get steelbooks. No Skyrim for me today due to Canada Post. :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Venturing out downtown today in hopes of finding a Shopper's with Super Mario 3D Land for sale. I know a few that always break release date, so I think my odds are good.

EvilMario said:
Venturing out downtown today in hopes of finding a Shopper's with Super Mario 3D Land for sale. I know a few that always break release date, so I think my odds are good.
A friend found a RCSS that didn't know any better and had it on a rack.

krae_man

My Super Mario 3D Land shipped from Bestbuy. Looks like they charged me $34.99 and didn't apply the $10 credit I got for Zelda OOT shipping late. Guess I have to phone them.

Luigi87 said:
Quite possibly.
Of the people I know, I seem to be the only one who seems to refer to them as GameStop.

The vast majority of EB's in my area are called EB. I guess they didn't want to go through the hassel of changing all the names to GS.

I preferred Electronics Boutique. It's a more... civilized name.

Kazerei

Banned
From what I've seen, it's like half and half between GameStop and EB Games. I think they should keep both names to play like there's competition, like FutureShop and Best Buy.

BKXB

Economist
I was walking by the flagship store on Yonge St in Toronto, about a week ago at night. It looked like they were removing the Game Stop sign, and replacing it with an EB Games sign...which I thought couldn't be right.

Takao

Banned
Kazerei said:
From what I've seen, it's like half and half between GameStop and EB Games. I think they should keep both names to play like there's competition, like FutureShop and Best Buy.

The flyers do the whole "EB Games | Gamestop" thing, lol.

I wonder if there will be any canadian black friday deals but I need a reasonably priced laptop and this one looks pretty good. I am not a huge fan of dells but this is better than my desktop which i run skyrim on (5770) I saw it on rfd, does it look like a good deal?

Vostro 3550 15.6" Laptop w/Core i5-2430, Radeon 6630 1GB - $629.00 with coupon code V3VZG$Q0G692CH

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit,, english
2nd generation Intel Core i5-2430M 2.40 GHz Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.00GHz
4GB DDR3 at 1333MHZ, 1 DIMM
1 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 1 Year NBD Onsite Service
6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
15.6 inch High Definition LED Display (1366 x 768) with anti-glare
Integrated HD Webcam and Digital Array Mic with Dell Webcam Central
AMD Radeon HD 6630M (128-bit) 1GB Graphic
8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+/-R write capability

Firestorm said:
Go to Store. Purchase. Return Online Copy with Store Receipt.

It's such a hassle to do this though. Might as well have simply bought it in store so you only ever had to make a single trip.

arts&crafts said:
I wonder if there will be any canadian black friday deals but I need a reasonably priced laptop and this one looks pretty good. I am not a huge fan of dells but this is better than my desktop which i run skyrim on (5770) I saw it on rfd, does it look like a good deal?

Vostro 3550 15.6" Laptop w/Core i5-2430, Radeon 6630 1GB - $629.00 with coupon code V3VZG$Q0G692CH

i5 only?? It's okay I guess. You're not really getting a "good deal". It's more like Dell's "regular promo prices". I stopped looking at Dell ads for this reason. Your better off looking for deals on a PC you really want using pricebat or shopbot, and then price matching that with NCIX or some other reliable place.

arts&crafts said:

I got the same computer only without the dedicated video card last week for $499 from Futureshop.

EDIT: There's also 3-4 other models they have for $649 that are literally identical, so $629 isn't really anything mind blowing.

I haven't been keeping track of PC prices, but when I was buying my laptop from Dell, I'd pick a model and then keep track of the weekly promos (where the specs and prices would always change). You basically have to wait until you find one week where the price is pretty good and then jump on it. With no price protection (from Dell) and technology always depreciating, it's always a gamble.

Also, Dell runs multiple promos simultaneously so it's a lot to keep track of. The main site may have one deal, RFD may have an exclusive coupon deal, the flyer may have a deal, etc.

This is one link that I think updates weekly: http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/top...341962&acd=CAqD7bLWUPI-iF0btEe7g4iHxbJed.m4gA

An alternative method is to follow PC threads on RFD and if the thread is popular, then it's probably a good deal.

beat

Best Buy has $60 of Xbox Live points for $50; doesn't seem to be advertised online, but it was in this week's flyer. Buy the 2800 and 1400 together and the latter gets $10 taken off the price.

... wish I'd seen the Wal-mart flyer deal first though ($40 of points for $30), but I usually don't read that flyer.

radiantdreamer said:
It's such a hassle to do this though. Might as well have simply bought it in store so you only ever had to make a single trip.

i5 only?? It's okay I guess. You're not really getting a "good deal". It's more like Dell's "regular promo prices". I stopped looking at Dell ads for this reason. Your better off looking for deals on a PC you really want using pricebat or shopbot, and then price matching that with NCIX or some other reliable place.

Sounds like a better bet. If only my current Dell could run Binding of Isaac higher than 5 fps and could be unplugged from the wall without shutting down...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
beat said:
Best Buy has $60 of Xbox Live points for $50; doesn't seem to be advertised online, but it was in this week's flyer. Buy the 2800 and 1400 together and the latter gets $10 taken off the price.

... wish I'd seen the Wal-mart flyer deal first though ($40 of points for $30), but I usually don't read that flyer.
You missed the madness last week when points were 50% off at Superstore!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Fuzzy said:
Just got my shipping notice from BB for my $31.49 copy of Super Mario 3D Land. Looks like I'll have it on Monday. :)

I still wish we could pre-order games online and choose in-store pickup though.
Got it this morning and I've already beaten the first world. :)

Takuan

Hoping to get my other Skyrim order in today. Dat steelbook...

Oh, does anyone know how the UMVC3 pre-order costume bonuses work? Do the codes come with the game, inside the packaging, through e-mail, what?

Edit: Skyrim w/steelbook ships tomorrow. Boo.

Just got my Assassin's Creed shipping notice. FS is really on the ball with shipping to me on-time so far. It's just crappy purolator dropping the ball and adding 1-2 days of wait time on every package..

Takuan

Crazymoogle said:
Just got my Assassin's Creed shipping notice. FS is really on the ball with shipping to me on-time so far. It's just crappy purolator dropping the ball and adding 1-2 days of wait time on every package..
Where are you from that you don't receive Purolator shipments on the same day? It's free ground shipping, so I don't think it's reasonable to expect day 1 delivery if you aren't in-province. I'm not even sure that you can pay for guaranteed day-1 shipping, however...

Theres some malls that have both a gamestop and an ebgames. Makes no sense man especially when the ebgames has gamestop flyers and posters inside the store.

Magnus

Spoke to my manager friend; yup, they're converting all Canadian GS stores back to EB Games and going with that name alone up here.

UberTag

DoctorWho said:
It's really just a matter of brand entrenchment.

Looks like the EB Games brand continues to thrive in other countries as well such as Australia, New Zealand and the Scandinavian countries (Denmark, Norway, Sweden).

Same reason Future Shop still exists instead of them all being turned into Best Buys.

Curious to see whether Target has success converting all of those Zellers locations or whether they'll revitalize the Zellers brand at some point.

filipe

crimzonflame said:
Theres some malls that have both a gamestop and an ebgames. Makes no sense man especially when the ebgames has gamestop flyers and posters inside the store.

The mall I work at (Limeridge) has this both an EB and Gamestop. I actually like it that way, since if one of them runs out of copies I can usually find a copy at the other without having to get into my car and driving to the next place that sells games.

Takuan said:
Where are you from that you don't receive Purolator shipments on the same day? It's free ground shipping, so I don't think it's reasonable to expect day 1 delivery if you aren't in-province. I'm not even sure that you can pay for guaranteed day-1 shipping, however...

Montreal. I'm gathering the day comes from shipping from...Toronto maybe? Not sure where their shipment point is. The problem is that Purolator won't redirect until after failing to deliver, then won't redirect 3 blocks away, and won't leave a note, so I basically have to cold call and get it redirected to a nearby depot every time.

Quick

Banned
Magnus said:
Spoke to my manager friend; yup, they're converting all Canadian GS stores back to EB Games and going with that name alone up here.

I thought that maybe they'd do the opposite and convert EB Games stores to Gamestop to match the US stores, but UberTag makes more sense of it.

Luigi87

filipe said:
The mall I work at (Limeridge) has this both an EB and Gamestop. I actually like it that way, since if one of them runs out of copies I can usually find a copy at the other without having to get into my car and driving to the next place that sells games.
I've always been amazed that they kept both locations open in Limeridge (since GameStop is so big, and EB is so small in store size).

I suppose maybe EB just is better brand recognition (what with GameStop frequently enough getting bad press lately)

On another note, was at a GS today paying off the remainder on my Zelda pre-order, and was told that they got the call to stop taking Zelda bundle pre-orders today... So thought I'd share that.

BKXB said:
I was walking by the flagship store on Yonge St in Toronto, about a week ago at night. It looked like they were removing the Game Stop sign, and replacing it with an EB Games sign...which I thought couldn't be right.

crimzonflame said:

Ya, it will be interesting to see what happens in malls like Place d'Orleans where there are both a Game Stop and an Electronics Boutique store in the same mall. Who needs two EBs in one shopping centre?

frequency

I posted earlier saying I couldn't log in to my account when GameStop.ca switched to EBGames.ca

I was wrong. noscript was just blocking it. I didn't think to check that I had GameStop.ca allowed, but not EBGames.ca

Luigi87

frequency said:
I posted earlier saying I couldn't log in to my account when GameStop.ca switched to EBGames.ca

I was wrong. noscript was just blocking it. I didn't think to check that I had GameStop.ca allowed, but not EBGames.ca
Nah, it really wasn't working earlier (it even kept redirecting me to their 360 games page for some reason), but it is fixed now.

...That being said, checking my order history, method of shipment is French on the English site, and vice-versa.

... I also never heard back from them at all in regards to my Fate/Extra bonus I didn't receive like others...

Takuan

Crazymoogle said:
Montreal. I'm gathering the day comes from shipping from...Toronto maybe? Not sure where their shipment point is. The problem is that Purolator won't redirect until after failing to deliver, then won't redirect 3 blocks away, and won't leave a note, so I basically have to cold call and get it redirected to a nearby depot every time.
Yeah, all of the major stores (Amazon, BB, FS, and probably Chapters/Indigo) have storage facilities in Mississauga, Ontario. What I do is just check the Futureshop.ca tracking link on a game's release date and periodically refresh updates. Once I see that a shipment's been missed I call them to immediately schedule a pick-up. The nearest depot is only 10 minutes away from me, and the service there is decent.

It sounds as though the service standards in your local area are lacking, but if you call as soon as you see a failed delivery you should be able to schedule a pickup on the same day. It's inconvenient, but it's better than waiting another day.

frequency

Luigi87 said:
Nah, it really wasn't working earlier (it even kept redirecting me to their 360 games page for some reason), but it is fixed now.

...That being said, checking my order history, method of shipment is French on the English site, and vice-versa.

... I also never heard back from them at all in regards to my Fate/Extra bonus I didn't receive like others...
It was redirecting me to a page with their top selling games or pre-orders or something (I saw Zelda).

They got back to me on the Fate Extra bonus. They told me that it's first come first serve and I missed out... which I don't believe. How could we have all missed out on it?

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
Ya, it will be interesting to see what happens in malls like Place d'Orleans where there are both a Game Stop and an Electronics Boutique store in the same mall. Who needs two EBs in one shopping centre?
There's plenty of places where two eb/gamestop are within walking distance. Yonge/Steeles has one inside Centerpoint, one on the street corner; A block away, there's one in Promenade, and across the street next to the Walmart.

Luigi87

frequency said:
It was redirecting me to a page with their top selling games or pre-orders or something (I saw Zelda).

They got back to me on the Fate Extra bonus. They told me that it's first come first serve and I missed out... which I don't believe. How could we have all missed out on it?

Exactly. They screwed something up, as there is no way they would have sold out. Hopefully we get a soonish response from Aksys over in the OT in regards to their contacting them.

Edit: Akselziys updated the thread to send an email to Aksys' support that they will forward to GameStop. I did so, and Aksys got back to me within 5 minutes that they got my email.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Crazymoogle said:
I got my shipping notice today also. I look forward to playing it tomorrow.

Solune

frequency said:

Ugh if this is true and I don't get that UMvC3 code, gonna be the last straw with their poor service.

frequency

My copy of Skyrim came in today. The cover split paper thingy was outside the case? What's up with that? I had to put it in myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom