• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
No shipment notice yet for me on regular edition Zelda. Surprising, but I guess I'll see the shipment notice monday.

EDIT: A mad dash on playbooks? At $200? Dayumn. I mean, at $100 for the HP it made perfect sense. But double the money for something with even less support? smh

bryehn

frequency said:
I got a shipping notice for my Zelda LE from Future Shop.

EDIT: Also via Canada Post. I personally prefer Purolator though.

Purolator is THE WORST shipping company in my experience. They almost always send packages to their warehouse on me unless I put my buzzer (which is just my apartment number and is clearly marked with my name on the lobby buzzer) number in the order somehow. Then they rarely call to tell me delivery has been delayed, so stuff is often quite late.

firehawk12 said:
Check RFD man. Yesterday, the Playbook thread had 200k views.

Yeah, but RFD is horder-centric. I mean, will any of those actually get used? At least HP keeps dangling the idea of future support. RIM could drop the entire line to cut costs any week now. Any hope of support was basically thrown out the window when the Kindle Fire launched.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just waltzed into Wal-Mart in Lougheed Town Centre and they still had Zelda LE preorder cards. There was at least one more card there. If you want it, get thee to Wal-Mart now.

Thanks to the poster above for the tip!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
bryehn said:
Purolator is THE WORST shipping company in my experience. They almost always send packages to their warehouse on me unless I put my buzzer (which is just my apartment number and is clearly marked with my name on the lobby buzzer) number in the order somehow. Then they rarely call to tell me delivery has been delayed, so stuff is often quite late.
I think the consensus is that Purolator is okay for houses and bad for apartments. Although, thankfully I got the same guy 6 times because of the E3 games, so at some point he just remembered my buzzer number and all that.

Crazymoogle said:
Yeah, but RFD is horder-centric. I mean, will any of those actually get used? At least HP keeps dangling the idea of future support. RIM could drop the entire line to cut costs any week now. Any hope of support was basically thrown out the window when the Kindle Fire launched.
Yeah, I have no idea what they are going to do with them. I suppose if you have super low expectations, like I did with the HP Touchpad, you will be happy with it as a consumption device?

frequency

bryehn said:
It always just depends on your area and stuff I guess. None of the services are particularly terrible for me. There are bad experiences here and there, but overall it's pretty standard. I like Purolator because they're faster than Canada Post.

Also, with Purolator if I miss the shipment, I can go pick it up at their warehouse (which is like 15 minutes away from me) that same night. My local Canada Post outlet closes at 5, so I can't get it until next day.

Every area has good and bad drivers. Earlier this year I would've said UPS was my favourite. Last year, I would've cursed Canada Post because they lost 3 separate shipments in a 2 month period.

Firestorm

Crazymoogle said:
RIM's indicated more support for PB than HP for TouchPad... especially considering all first generation BBX devices will run PlayBook apps and vice versa. If I weren't hoping for Android 4.0 support on it, I'd trade my TouchPad for a PlayBook. I bought a TouchPad for just web browsing / reading / music initially and the PlayBook does all of those but smoother.

Firestorm said:
RIM's indicated more support for PB than HP for TouchPad... especially considering all first generation BBX devices will run PlayBook apps and vice versa. If I weren't hoping for Android 4.0 support on it, I'd trade my TouchPad for a PlayBook. I bought a TouchPad for just web browsing / reading / music initially and the PlayBook does all of those but smoother.

Would you trade it + give a hundred dollars, though? That's what I think is the interesting question, especially given how badly RIM is bleeding financially.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Firestorm said:
You have to consider price as well though. 99 vs 199.

firehawk12 said:
You have to consider price as well though. 99 vs 199.

Excellent point. $99 is a lot of money, but it also falls within "impulse" range for many people when faced with a good deal. $199 is much more in the "how do I explain this to my wife" territory.

Firestorm

Crazymoogle said:
Would you trade it + give a hundred dollars, though? That's what I think is the interesting question, especially given how badly RIM is bleeding financially.
I got the $150 TouchPad + $20 case + $35 charging dock. I think I'd trade those 3 for a PlayBook if TouchPad weren't getting Android. I completely agree that $100 is impulse toy buy and $200 isn't though. I guess it's also because I have really little use for a tablet in my life... I barely used the PlayBook when I owned it and I barely use my TouchPad now.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Cactus said:
Strange...my LE was shipped with Canada Post, while my regular copy was shipped with Purolator.
Not strange at all if you pre-ordered the regular edition during E3 since all of those orders were shipped with Purolator because of the mail stoppage at the time.

TheExodu5

Banned
Firestorm said:
I got the $150 TouchPad + $20 case + $35 charging dock. I think I'd trade those 3 for a PlayBook if TouchPad weren't getting Android. I completely agree that $100 is impulse toy buy and $200 isn't though. I guess it's also because I have really little use for a tablet in my life... I barely used the PlayBook when I owned it and I barely use my TouchPad now.

The Touchpad dock is the one thing that's making me glad I have it. It's really nice to just be able to pick it up and use it and never worry about charging.

I'd definitely trade it in for a Kindle Fire at this point, though.

I don't use my Touchpad much, but for $100 I can't complain. I use my laptop a lot more anyway, and if I had a smartphone I don't think I'll ever need a tablet.

Also no shipping notice for my Zeldas.

Anth0ny

Not sure if I could make it to the launch event tomorrow in downtown Toronto for Zelda =(

If there's no CEs at Wal Mart at 6AM on Sunday, I'll be sad.

Fuzzy

Since it looks like IceIpor will be buying my second copy of Zelda CE does anyone here want my $39.99 copy ($45.18 with tax) of the regular edition? I'm in Scarborough but will meet as far west as Yorkdale. If not then I'll just return it to FS.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Not sure if I could make it to the launch event tomorrow in downtown Toronto for Zelda =(

If there's no CEs at Wal Mart at 6AM on Sunday, I'll be sad.

We were there this morning to pick up the wrist band. You have to return at 9pm to the Yonge and Dundas Futureshop to pick up the collector's edition then. It's rather a pain when I could just wake up tomorrow morning and buy it, but at least I have two dozen new Streetpasses. :p

So Purolator never came to my house with my copy of Skyrim, nor notified me in any way that they had it. And now I have 2 copies of Zelda shipping to my place since Futureshop wouldn't let me cancel an online order online.

This country.

Anony

question about best buy preorder
i preordered SS LE from bestbuy, is it possible to go to a different bestbuy from the one i ordered and pick it up?

krae_man

No shipment notice yet for me on regular edition Zelda. Surprising, but I guess I'll see the shipment notice monday.

EDIT: A mad dash on playbooks? At $200? Dayumn. I mean, at $100 for the HP it made perfect sense. But double the money for something with even less support? smh

There are people trying to scalp them for $300-$400. Never underestimate how crazy RFDers are.

xzoowy

My local game shop informed me Thursday that they wont receive ZeldaCE and have cancelled all preorders. So, later that day ive ordered it from the Gamestop USA website, with a damn 15$ shipping and possibly custom fees. The good news is that my game arrived today at my local UPS store and will be delivered on time Sunday on official street release date.

Oh cool, thanks, I'll try to get some. It's $20x2 cards for $30 right?

I want to get the Saints Row 3rd Season pass.
Yep. They have to ring in each card separately (at least they did for me), so with the taxes it ends up being a bit more than that, but it's still a good deal.

I don't know what the stock situation will be though. Sometime they have them buried under other cards at cash registers too, so that's a good place to look.

Fuzzy

So Purolator never came to my house with my copy of Skyrim, nor notified me in any way that they had it. And now I have 2 copies of Zelda shipping to my place since Futureshop wouldn't let me cancel an online order online.

This country.
Didn't you see my post on where the cancel button on your order page was? Or was it part of a bigger order and that's why you couldn't cancel it?

The flyer says it lasts until Nov. 28th.
Good luck finding any Walmarts that still have them. Unless they're restocking?

So my Zelda LE preorders from FS and BB shipped out yesterday and will arrive Monday via CP.

My E3 Zelda preorder is coming from Purolator. =/

At least they're all in Richmond/Vancouver right now.

Didn't you see my post on where the cancel button on your order page was? Or was it part of a bigger order and that's why you couldn't cancel it?
Yep, it was part of a bigger order (E3 sale), and even though every other (game) in the order had shipped and been paid for, I couldn't cancel it. Had no idea Zelda was coming out so soon, so now I've got 2 copies being sent to my place in Vancouver (where I won't be for the next month). Best case scenario, I get my brother to return one of the versions for in-store credit, which I don't really want but ah well.

Fuzzy

Yep, it was part of a bigger order (E3 sale), and even though every other (game) in the order had shipped and been paid for, I couldn't cancel it. Had no idea Zelda was coming out so soon, so now I've got 2 copies being sent to my place in Vancouver (where I won't be for the next month). Best case scenario, I get my brother to return one of the versions for in-store credit, which I don't really want but ah well.
Yeah I have my $40 copy from E3 coming as well so if someone here doesn't want it for what I paid then I'll be returning it to the store. Hell, I also had an E3 2010 pre-order that I completely forgot to cancel coming to me. :lol

As for returning stuff in-store after the 30-day window I haven't had a problem if it was a few days past that. I just lied and said I was out of town and the girl said it wasn't a problem because it says when it was shipped but not when it was delivered. YMMV though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gunloc said:
Yep. They have to ring in each card separately (at least they did for me), so with the taxes it ends up being a bit more than that, but it's still a good deal.

I don't know what the stock situation will be though. Sometime they have them buried under other cards at cash registers too, so that's a good place to look.
There should be no taxes on the cards though, since they are giftcards.

Firestorm

Used the contact form about Skyward Sword and they said they'll be crediting me back $10! This is what I said (remember to put in order number in the form):

I was charged $39.30 on The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword. This is a savings of $10 when the promotion I ordered with gave me a savings of $20. I'd like $10 credited back to my card. Thank you!

$30+tax for Zelda :)

Oxymoron

Used the contact form about Skyward Sword and they said they'll be crediting me back $10! This is what I said (remember to put in order number in the form):

Thanks for reminding me! I just contacted them and got a response within 20 minutes saying that they took the 10$ off.

sikkinixx

So realistically, what are the odds of getting a Zelda LE without a preorder? i would love to just wander into Wal-Mart tomorrow morning when they open and grab one but I don;t think that is gonna happen.

isny

napkin dispenser
Did you email or phone? If phone, are they available 24/7?

They are not available 24/7. They close around 9pm EST I do believe, but the hours aren't listed anywhere. You can call and if they're closed you'll get an automated message with hours of operation.

Fuzzy

They are not available 24/7. They close around 9pm EST I do believe, but the hours aren't listed anywhere. You can call and if they're closed you'll get an automated message with hours of operation.
Monday to Sunday, 8:00am - 12:00am EST.

Cactus

Banned

I just sent them an email. They refused me when I contacted them last month, but I'm hoping if I harass them enough they'll concede.

The only reason I didn't cancel the order is because I want Twisted Metal for $40.

Firestorm

Just realized... They're in holiday return period now right? I think you have 'til January to make returns.

Cactus

Banned
Wow, they refused me again. I can't believe it

The original price of the The legend of Zelda Skyward Sword was 59.99 with $20 off it makes the game 39.99.
You have been discounted the correct amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom