• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
Canada-GAF, any of you guys have experience with Kobo Touch? It's 20 dollars off so I'm very interested in getting one.

Did you guys ever run into a problem with books not being available but found on Kindle store only? Or books being cheaper on the Kindle store?

The Kobo Touch is pretty good. Simple and straightforward. $119 is a good price for it, I think. Not so sure about book availability, but as far as I can see, Kobo has enough books in its store, and is growing.

Absolutely avoid the Kobo Vox Colour, though. Not that you actually mentioned it, but I'll throw it out as a warning to everyone.

I work at a Chapters and I deal with problems with the Vox daily. Makes me wonder how such a flawed device actually passed quality control.

The Kobo Touch is pretty good. Simple and straightforward. $119 is a good price for it, I think. Not so sure about book availability, but as far as I can see, Kobo has enough books in its store, and is growing.

Absolutely avoid the Kobo Vox Colour, though. Not that you actually mentioned it, but I'll throw it out as a warning to everyone.

I work at a Chapters and I deal with problems with the Vox daily. Makes me wonder how such a flawed device actually passed quality control.

Which Kobo do you recommend. Im looking to get one for my younger sister for xmas.

Hellish

I wish it was for PC too.

just my luck

6398273425_85616a3b58_z.jpg

only downside steam > origin.

btkadams

alright, i just realized i have rewardzone gift certificates that expire in two days. i guess i'm getting the headset at best buy! i've never used them before though so i have some questions.

1. i have a $20 reward certificate and a $10 one. can i combine them and use them at once?
2. i think i read this previously in the thread, but just to be sure, i can use them on something i ordered on bestbuy.ca for in-store pickup right?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
alright, i just realized i have rewardzone gift certificates that expire in two days. i guess i'm getting the headset at best buy! i've never used them before though so i have some questions.

1. i have a $20 reward certificate and a $10 one. can i combine them and use them at once?
2. i think i read this previously in the thread, but just to be sure, i can use them on something i ordered on bestbuy.ca for in-store pickup right?
1. Yes.
2. Yes.

Quick

Banned
Which Kobo do you recommend. Im looking to get one for my younger sister for xmas.

If she's interested in just reading, a Touch would do just fine. The $89 model is dated, to be honest. Might as well fork over the extra money for the Touch.

While I don't recommend the Vox due to issues I've had to deal with, I would recommend it if you plan on tweaking the OS. Since it runs on Android, I'm sure you'll get some support from people here or other places.

If she wants to just read, go for the Touch. For the extra stuff, go for the Vox.

Hellish

For the bestbuy.ca reward zone coupons if you do not want them to expire buy something with them then return it and they give you a giftcard

(found this out by buying headphones with them and then not liking the headphones)

Quick

Banned
Apple.ca will have some Black Friday deals going on, should be able to save a few bucks on some iPods and Macs.

The Canadian Apple Store isn't available at the moment. Guess they're preparing for something big.

Not bad. Was hoping for something more substantial, but I'm not too surprised, really.

Guessing Boxing Day would provide a bigger discount on iPads.

Hellish

The Canadian Apple Store isn't available at the moment. Guess they're preparing for something big.

Not bad. Was hoping for something more substantial, but I'm not too surprised, really.

Guessing Boxing Day would provide a bigger discount on iPads.

Its an Apple product can't expect too much until it is a previous generations product.

btkadams

should i go to bed? lol i'm refreshing best buy and futureshop's websites and there doesn't seem to be anything on sale for black friday (other than ipads on best buy).

See the Batman: Arkham City deal, think that would be a great gift for my brother.

Add it to cart.

Apply $10 off videogame purchase that Futureshop gave me for shipping NHL 12 late.

Get error notification on the code.

Type in gift certificate ($67 value) number to pay for it anyway.

Get notification saying gift card has no money on it.

Call hotline.

Informed that a transaction was made exactly one week ago - one I sure didn't make.

Email support asking for transaction details.

Told to call in store tomorrow.

[line reserved here for edit to update that Arkham City will be sold out tomorrow]

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Some pretty good sales there, but nothing I have to have, thankfully, so I don't have to make the trip from Penticton :)
You're in Penticton? I did the electrical for the arena there when it was built. I was there for 4 months. Great town in the Summer.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is it best to play the first Batman before getting AC? I wonder what price I can find it at if AC is $30.

AC does supercede AA in a few ways, but in general they're different kinds of games. AA has meticulously tight design and pacing and takes place in a small, dense environment. AC is ... looser and sloppier in that regard, because it's at least one part open world game. Both are excellent, though.

AC does supercede AA in a few ways, but in general they're different kinds of games. AA has meticulously tight design and pacing and takes place in a small, dense environment. AC is ... looser and sloppier in that regard, because it's at least one part open world game. Both are excellent, though.

AA = Metroid
AC = Zelda

DJ_Lae

Damn it, mail came but no Saints Row the Third.

That's two weeks past its ship date from THQ. The freebie DLC had better be awesome for me to tolerate this long a wait to play the game (not that I don't have a ton of other games to play, but still).

Hellish

Any good 3DS deals?

Toysrus $139.99 if you can find stock in store -- Online is out of stock
cci2411201100000640x249.jpg

$160 at Walmart -- might be able to price match toys r us if they are out of stock
cci24112011000192.jpg

If you consider $190 for a Red 3DS + Mario a good deal then there is that
cci24112011000062.jpg

or $200 for the Zelda LE (Just released today) @ Ebgames

020327b.jpg

soultron

Banned
Wanted to post this for anyone in the GTA with some free time this weekend:

Please note: This post is, in no way, endorsed by or sponsored by Gamercamp LV3 or its organizers.

othead.png

This weekend, Toronto comes alive with an electrifying 3-day-long festival of fun, friends, and games!

ABOUT: Gamercamp LV3 is the third iteration of what has become an annual festival here in Toronto. Organized by Toronto locals Jaime Woo and Mark Rabo, the festival aims to welcome everyone, be they developers or those who just enjoy games, into a convention like no other. Set over the course of three days, Gamercamp is packed with speakers, tournaments, live-action games set across the city, playtest sessions, alternative peripheral experiments, local talents (indie, AAA, emerging, etc.), film screenings, food, and much more.

You can come to learn and perfect your craft, as a game maker, while meeting with and learning from other developers. You can come to enjoy yourself and play a variety of games and participatory activities. Or you can do both. Once more, this is a festival that aims to bring everyone who partakes in the joy of play together -- no matter if you make games, play games, or do both.

-----------------------------------------/ABOUT

SCHEDULE: Note that some events occur at the same time as others, as Gamercamp occurs at multiple locations within Toronto.

Click here (or the above image) for the Friday schedule and locations!

Click here (or the above image) for the Saturday schedule and locations!

Click here (or the above image) for the Sunday schedule and locations!

-----------------------------------------/SCHEDULE

Check gamercamp.ca for more details, highlights, and the full list of speakers!

AlphaTwo00 and I will be there volunteering. PM me if you want to say hello, as I'd love to meet you if you're going!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom