• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really is but I think I'll be getting the tooth brush. I've been meaning to get a good electric one for a while now and it's only $75. Considering I have enough money in my account to get it for free I don't see why I shouldn't pick it up.

I actually have an electric one but I don't use it because I don't have the patience to move it slowly around my teeth. I ended up brushing normally (which of course wrecks the bristles) so I went back to my regular toothbrush.

Assassin's Creed Triple Pack (1, 2, Brohood) for $29.99 at FS:
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...station-3-future-shop-exclusive/10180295.aspx
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...xbox-360-future-shop-exclusives/10180296.aspx

TheExodu5

Banned
I would say SG-1 is the vastly superior show.

I guess I'll wait for a fire sale on that, then. Thanks.

It was on sale at HMV for $99 a few years back, but I missed out.

I did pretty well with Star Trek TOS Blu-Ray and BSG Blu-Ray this past week, anyways. I'm ready for some sci-fi overload.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I did pretty well with Star Trek TOS Blu-Ray and BSG Blu-Ray this past week, anyways. I'm ready for some sci-fi overload.

I'm not sure if SG-1 will be on BD based on how they were filmed. That could have changed though.

survivor

Banned
Kobo is having some cyber monday sales. 60%, 50%, 30% and 20% off some books. The 60% were all shit but some of the books for 50% and 30% seemed good. Bought 3 books. I have no idea if I was actually saving money since Kobo could have just increased the prices the day before, but whatever; they seemed cheap enough.

krae_man

You already missed a fire sale on it. It was Sub $90 on Amazon when I bought it, and went even lower afterwards I think it went sub $80 :(

I'm not sure if SG-1 will be on BD based on how they were filmed. That could have changed though.

The last 3 seasons were shot in HD I think but have never been released on Bluray.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not really expecting it to. If I can get the DVD series for sub $100, I'll probably go for it.
Yep. Although for 10 seasons, that would be an insane price! You can find the thinpacks for fairly cheap already too.

The last 3 seasons were shot in HD I think but have never been released on Bluray.

Yeah, but I doubt they'll do those three seasons alone?
Were the movies ever released on BD? I don't remember.

krae_man

Yep. Although for 10 seasons, that would be an insane price! You can find the thinpacks for fairly cheap already too.

Yeah, but I doubt they'll do those three seasons alone?
Were the movies ever released on BD? I don't remember.

Actually, the Single seasons went up in price. They are back to $40ish again. They re released them in different(White this time!) packaging and they are full price again.

I don't think the movies were every released on Bluray. I just finished watching SG-1 a couple months ago and wanted to jump right into Atlantis but didn't want to pay more for it then I did for SG-1 so I jumped on this sale even though I probably won't have time to get into it till the Summer.

Cheerilee

Is the show any good? I haven't seen SG-1.
IMO, SG1 was good through 7 seasons. Then the show got tired, and Richard Dean Anderson tried to leave.

That's when Atlantis started, and tried to re-energize the series, but it didn't really work. Maybe it might have worked had they not tried to keep two shows running at once. Season 8 was kind of bad and they dragged RDA back for one more year, but he obviously phoned in his performance. Seasons 9&10 are better than 8, but should probably be considered a third spinoff. Marketing told them not to give it a new name.

Stargate Universe is another animal entirely. It has more in common with the Battlestar Galactica reimagining than it does with Stargate.

AFAIK, the show was filmed on film like any other, but they were trying to be forward-thinking so they did some nice things like filming in widescreen even when they knew there was (at the time) no market for a widescreen TV show. But they fell for the hype of "digital" so they had all of their camera film scanned shortly after it exited the cameras, and then they edited and mastered the series digitally (in standard definition).

So now the only "cut" of SG1 is an increasingly-worthless digital SD one.

Now if they want to do a remaster, they'll have to bring directors back in and "re-cut" the entire show, this time using actual film cutting, on top of the usual expenses of doing a remaster (basically just re-scanning the film in HD).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
AFAIK, the show was filmed on film like any other, but they were trying to be forward-thinking so they did some nice things like filming in widescreen even when they knew there was (at the time) no market for a widescreen TV show. But they fell for the hype of "digital" so they had all of their camera film scanned shortly after it exited the cameras, and then they edited and mastered the series digitally (in standard definition).

So now the only "cut" of SG1 is an increasingly-worthless digital SD one.

Now if they want to do a remaster, they'll have to bring directors back in and "re-cut" the entire show, this time using actual film cutting, on top of the usual expenses of doing a remaster (basically just re-scanning the film in HD).
So basically, they ran into the Star Trek TNG and Babylon 5 problem. Of course, TNG is probably the only scifi show that can warrant that kind of "remastering".

lupinko

Any brick & mortar deals for Saints Row The Third? I know of the newegg.ca deal but I'm trying to convince my buddies to get the game and they aren't willing to do online.

As for me I bought the game at midnight launch so I'm covered.

DJ_Lae

Haha, I got my Zelda steelbook in the mail today - Future Shop did me a favour by splitting the orders apart as I've already returned the regular copy of the game that I bought to get the steelbook in the first place.

Anyone gotten Saints Row the Third from THQ yet?

Hell no. I predict the first DLC mission pack will come out before the THQ donkeys deliver it.

Haha, I got my Zelda steelbook in the mail today - Future Shop did me a favour by splitting the orders apart as I've already returned the regular copy of the game that I bought to get the steelbook in the first place.

Anyone gotten Saints Row the Third from THQ yet?

I got my copy today. I like a half hour north of Toronto, if that helps.

When, where, and how much was TOS? :S

~$170 on Amazon.ca on Black Friday. Not omgamazing, but it's the best price I've seen it for yet.
Ah, thanks. It was actually $150 a couple of weeks before then. I know because I have had that on pricewatch at camelcamelcamel for a few months now and got the alert. I still passed though, kind of regret it now. :/
I actually purchased season 1 when it first came out but sold it because I thought the prices should drop for all of them eventually, how wrong I was. :p
Did yours come with slipcovers for all 3 seasons by the way?

Firestorm

Since KW-GAF seems to be a somewhat large group, tomorrow's the last day to get one of your RIM friends to grab you a PlayBook at the super discounted price. Just keep in mind that it's a bit more than it says as your friend will get hit by a taxable benefit on their paycheque which will likely amount to around ~$40. So after shipping and taxes you're looking at:

16GB PlayBook: ~$160
32GB PlayBook: ~$215 (includes microHDMI -> HDMI cable)
64GB PlayBook: ~$275 (includes microHDMI -> HDMI cable and "convertible" case)

http://216.16.227.180/Emailers/RIM04357/Online/RIM04357.html

(And yes I bit. Giving my TouchPad to parents and switching to PlayBook).

krae_man

Since KW-GAF seems to be a somewhat large group, tomorrow's the last day to get one of your RIM friends to grab you a PlayBook at the super discounted price. Just keep in mind that it's a bit more than it says as your friend will get hit by a taxable benefit on their paycheque which will likely amount to around ~$40. So after shipping and taxes you're looking at:

16GB PlayBook: ~$160
32GB PlayBook: ~$215 (includes microHDMI -> HDMI cable)
64GB PlayBook: ~$275 (includes microHDMI -> HDMI cable and "convertible" case)

http://216.16.227.180/Emailers/RIM04357/Online/RIM04357.html

(And yes I bit. Giving my TouchPad to parents and switching to PlayBook).

I'm seeing lots of Kijiji ads at cost. I guess this is why. I'm happy with my Touchpad so I'm going to pass.

snorggy

Are EB's door crashers online only or also in stores?

I've gotten them in store before.

apparently you can manually change the url to see what the upcoming deals will be. What the price will be remains a mystery...

Some highlights:

PSN/XBLA Cards:
http://www.ebgames.ca/browse/ProductMerch.aspx?groupid=616

Homefront:
http://www.ebgames.ca/browse/ProductMerch.aspx?groupid=619

Driver: San Francisco:
http://www.ebgames.ca/browse/ProductMerch.aspx?groupid=620

Once upon a monster:
http://www.ebgames.ca/browse/ProductMerch.aspx?groupid=621

Metroid Other M:
http://www.ebgames.ca/browse/ProductMerch.aspx?groupid=622

LOTR:
http://www.ebgames.ca/browse/ProductMerch.aspx?groupid=623

Firestorm

Rogers Plus
According to RFD, all stores closing down. Staggered closing starting December 5th and ending January 15th. Will start with a BOGO sale.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Rogers Plus
According to RFD, all stores closing down. Staggered closing starting December 5th and ending January 15th. Will start with a BOGO sale.

Wow, holy fuck... that's kind of crazy.

Hahaha, that thread is awesome. Toronto's going to be dry come December 6th. :p

What do they sell at rogers plus? If they have anything good i woupdnt mind a store locator to find some stocking stuffers.

Edit: I just checked, will head to the white rock one on the 5th and report back.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Whoa whoa whoa.... so we won't have a single major rental chain in the whole country?

I think there's a lot of room for much smaller operations to offer movie and game rentals.... Obviously Blockbuster and Rogers were much too big to survive in this climate: but many people still need to rent things :/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Whoa whoa whoa.... so we won't have a single major rental chain in the whole country?

I think there's a lot of room for much smaller operations to offer movie and game rentals.... Obviously Blockbuster and Rogers were much too big to survive in this climate: but many people still need to rent things :/
Zip.ca or bust, I guess.

isny

napkin dispenser

This is the chance Amazon needs to move it's rental service in to Canada. The one they have in the U.S. is amazing, and they have it rolled out in the U.S., U.K., etc., but have been promising it for Canada for years now.

Cheerilee

Blockbuster Canada was surviving just fine (for now), they only died because the failing Blockbuster USA put them up as collateral on some loans they couldn't pay.

I thought for sure that the untimely death of Blockbuster would be gold for Rogers...

Lothars

Rogers Plus

I'm not surprised the majority of rogers closed down around here months ago, we only have one left but I will pick up some blurays and the such. they didn't really carry any newer games from what I saw.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't like internet-based rental delivery services... The only time I ever rent is on a whim of what I want to do this evening. I don't like the idea of "planning" my future free time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Blockbuster Canada was surviving just fine (for now), they only died because the failing Blockbuster USA put them up as collateral on some loans they couldn't pay.

I thought for sure that the untimely death of Blockbuster would be gold for Rogers...
It's strange because people use those outlets as places to pay their cable bills and whatnot. Even their head office in Toronto has one of the stores built into it.

isny

napkin dispenser

I think it's too little too late. Rogers closed a ton of stores last year, and the ones that were kept open were restructured completely. Less games, less DVD's, more open space and more of Rogers other lines of business.

It's strange because people use those outlets as places to pay their cable bills and whatnot. Even their head office in Toronto has one of the stores built into it.

This will definitely be an inconvenience for me. Rogers+ is basically Bell World with movies and games. Taking this sort of store out of the equation will mean any time I need to get a new modem, new cable box, etc. I'll have to probably have someone come by my house =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom