• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not just for Canadians, but Beyond Good & Evil HD on XBLA is 240 points, so like $3. Normally 800 points.
I wish this was on sale on PSN. I am kind of disappointed that there is no set discount for everything in the store for PS+ subscribers as I just got $60 worth of PSN cards from EB and have nothing to spend it on (purchased Limbo using my credit card when it was on discount).

Hmm, really tempted to get the $10 Sly... I still have lots of other games to play, though. I have no idea if I would like Sly or not, I've never played it. Don't know what to do...

I thought for sure that the untimely death of Blockbuster would be gold for Rogers...
It's going to be gold for somebody... The Return of the Rise of the Independants? I'd be all for that... Too bad that the two best independants around here were both forced out of business finally about 12 - 18 months ago (both family businesses, and both had been around for 15+ years)... Just in time for the fuckwit chains that drove them out of business to fail... What the fuck is wrong with this picture?!?

parasight

Rogers Plus
According to RFD, all stores closing down. Staggered closing starting December 5th and ending January 15th. Will start with a BOGO sale.

Oh man that really bums me out. We have one near our house and I rent games a lot. I guess I should use up my remaining star rewards points. Hopefully a new rental service pops up.

I'm thinking about ditching Cogeco (phone, tv & internet @ $130 / mo) and going with Teksavvy's cable "extreme" service with their basic phone setup.

Has anybody had any experience with the phone service? And are these speeds reasonable for online gaming?

TekSavvy
Extreme Cable ** Up to 24 Mbps Up to 1 Mbps 300 $42.95/month

Are there any other alternatives to Teksavvy in the GTA (specifically Halton)?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Teksavvy Cable gives me some great speeds, usually in the low 20Mbps'.
Although 'speed boost' makes it look higher in some cases
You'll find most people with Teksavvy on here will recommend them highly.

No experience with their photo service though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Oh man that really bums me out. We have one near our house and I rent games a lot. I guess I should use up my remaining star rewards points. Hopefully a new rental service pops up.

Provided RFD's information is correct (I've heard mixed things; locally I heard one of the two stores was closing, but the other wasn't?) you should use your points now. If they start a closure sale on the 5th, your points will probably not be accepted from then onwards.

BestBuy started to get in on the physical rental thing with a vending-machine style kiosk. I think that may be the way of the future for physical rental media.

The thing is, ever since Rogers Plus closed a bunch of stores last year, the surviving stores got rid of all the crap that doesn't move, including video games. Their retail prices generally sucked anyway. So far, every purchase I've made their for their used games, I've regretted. The only great deal I'd ever gotten from them was when they had PSP-Go for $125 when it was still $250 everywhere else.

I doubt there will be any awesome deals, unlike the Blockbuster fiasco.

Teksavvy Cable gives me some great speeds, usually in the low 20Mbps'.
Although 'speed boost' makes it look higher in some cases
You'll find most people with Teksavvy on here will recommend them highly.

No experience with their photo service though.

Thanks for the feedback. What is "speed boost"?

RS4-

You could always try to test your speeds against a direct download as well; not always consistent but it does gauge your speed over time compared to speedtest/speakeasy.

I usually just try one of those huge iso files on the Microsoft site.

Cheerilee

It boosts your speed for the first 10MB of a download when network traffic allows. It's what makes online speed tests unreliable.
AFAIK, it doesn't really "boost" your speed, because that's kind of impossible.

What they do is they give you full speed at first, but then they choke your connection down to a lower speed.

But it's no good to advertise that they choke your speed if you download anything large, so instead they say that they boost your speed if you download something small.

Mikey Jr.

Rogers Plus
According to RFD, all stores closing down. Staggered closing starting December 5th and ending January 15th. Will start with a BOGO sale.

Im confused. Whats Rogers Plus?

There is a video store called Rogers. Is that a Rogers plus as well?

Wait, shit, I think it is.....

Still nowhere close to the 2 for 30 from walmart last month, and the 50% off from RCSS a month ago.
wtf? a month ago as in november? why didn't i know about this. /sadface

mikey jr. said:
there are still rogers video stores around? all the ones here closed down years ago. well before the blockbusters did.

Bruiserk

Im confused. Whats Rogers Plus?

Wait, shit, I think it is.....

Rogers plus = movies/games + cellphones + cable + Internet in the store as well.

On another note, why doesn't redbox rent out games in Canada? That would be nice. My friend in America has wanted to coop some new games, which would only take a day or two. I'd love to have my local redbox rent out games.

Rogers Plus

Argh... that means there are NO video places left in Kanata area... only the zip.ca Kiosk :(

Why would they close down the last remaining place to rent movies, not everyone wants on-demand... especially those of us who don't subscribe to their cable services :(

The one near me doesn't do preowned games anymore anyways, so unless they are selling all of their rental library as well, I'm not sure what will be going on sale...

You see, no one posts game deals in this thread anymore. It's all about how bad a company screwed up with its shipping and how fast your internet connection is now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32357602&postcount=2937
RCSS - 1400 XBL points card $9.99 and 2800 $19.99. Starts Friday.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32395620&postcount=2998
Wal-Mart points deal is all month long.

The amount of PSN money I'll have will be insane. I'll have enough to buy digital Vita games for
(knowing me) not
a very long time.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32415443&postcount=3018

2 $20 PSN cards for $30. No deals on the $50 cards.

Yeah. It was there. It spanned like 4 pages as we all scrambled to get some, in fact, Page 61 was nothing but that.

TheExodu5

Banned
Argh... that means there are NO video places left in Kanata area... only the zip.ca Kiosk :(

Why would they close down the last remaining place to rent movies, not everyone wants on-demand... especially those of us who don't subscribe to their cable services :(

The one near me doesn't do preowned games anymore anyways, so unless they are selling all of their rental library as well, I'm not sure what will be going on sale...
No more rental places in Ottawa either...not that I've rented any movies in over 5 years.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, the indepentdent grocers and Loblaws in Kanata rent movies. Not a wide selection, however.

I also heard that the university libraries rent video games. So, welcome to unorthodox renting locations, Ottawa.

btkadams

Well, the indepentdent grocers and Loblaws in Kanata rent movies. Not a wide selection, however.

I also heard that the university libraries rent video games. So, welcome to unorthodox renting locations, Ottawa.

yeah my university lets you rent games and even systems ranging back a couple decades.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Crap, I did the trade in 2 games for $60 black friday coupon offer like 2 days ago and got 3 PSN cards with that. You guys think EB will let me return them and charge again at the discount?
If they are cards to be activated, probably not, since they probably have to process a return first... but it might be worth asking.

Firestorm

You see, no one posts game deals in this thread anymore. It's all about how bad a company screwed up with its shipping and how fast your internet connection is now.
Then where they fuck are your contributions to the topic? We talked about the points card sales for pages. If you're going to bitch, be a part of the solution.

Yeah in Metro Vancouver I know some of the cities have some independent places like Willow Video (at least Surrey and Langley do) and I can borrow games from the SFU library until I graduate I guess. Although honestly since I started buying cheap games I haven't really rented anything. Why rent when I can buy a game for $20 and have a backlog of over a hundred? Being a kid and looking for a new game to rent is something that will be missed by newer generations though.

SickBoy

wtf? a month ago as in november? why didn't i know about this. /sadface

AlphaTwo00 addressed this, but I do agree. I preferred it when there was a little less of the discussion aspect. I almost think the Future Shop sucks stuff could use its own thread, but surely it's nearly run its course.

More and more noise in this thread as time goes by.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
AlphaTwo00 addressed this, but I do agree. I preferred it when there was a little less of the discussion aspect. I almost think the Future Shop sucks stuff could use its own thread, but surely it's nearly run its course.

More and more noise in this thread as time goes by.
It's not all that hard to follow though. Really, deal posts are usually the ones that aren't quotes. Or, if you're serious, you lurk CAG Canada and RFD as well I suppose.

SickBoy

It's not all that hard to follow though. Really, deal posts are usually the ones that aren't quotes. Or, if you're serious, you lurk CAG Canada and RFD as well I suppose.

I don't have any issues following the thread, but in my subscriptions it bumps an awful lot for messages such as "yay, a UPS guy was at my house today*" (or "waah, the Canada thread isn't exactly what I want it to be") ;)

*Disclaimer: not a real post (as far as I know).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's listed on the website.
Friday December 9th to be exact. We just don't know what the price will be yet yet.

Maybe I should change the font size and add glitter because some people will bitch that no deals are posted in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom