• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
God I hate RFD, that forum is something else. I had bought a Panasonic GT 65" set bundled with 3D glasses and 3D BR player for an amazing price, and I got PM's of people telling me I'm full of shit, or begging me to scan my receipt so that they can beat the price down even more...

Stay away from the electronics section unless you like circle jerking over cheap crappy tvs...
so did you or did you not buy a tv :p

God I hate RFD, that forum is something else. I had bought a Panasonic GT 65" set bundled with 3D glasses and 3D BR player for an amazing price, and I got PM's of people telling me I'm full of shit, or begging me to scan my receipt so that they can beat the price down even more...

Stay away from the electronics section unless you like circle jerking over cheap crappy tvs...

Welcome to RFD where gouging stores is more than encouraged.

Takao

Banned
RFD is always fun. Whenever PSP games go on sale the threads sometimes have comments like "Why bother, just download them for free" ...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
RFD is always fun. Whenever PSP games go on sale the threads sometimes have comments like "Why bother, just download them for free" ...
To be fair though, if all you are looking for is breaking information, RFD is fine. It's only when you get into the fine details of the deals that it gets weird.

Fou-Lu

Buying a 3DS for Christmas for someone utilizing the Best Buy deal. Trying to decide whether to get the Uncharted Collection or Shadow of the Colossus and Ico collection for free with my $40 off.

Never played any Uncharted games, but the insane amount of praise they get has always tempted me, just not enough to buy since generally I don't play games with a lot of shooting.

Played the shit out of Shadow of the Colossus on PS2, but have never played Ico.

What say you fellow Canadians? Team Ico or Naughty Dog?

Firestorm

My favourite was when I gave the benefit of the doubt to this jackass who was trying to PM something at Sears when I worked there. It looked sketch and I half called him out on it but didn't want to pursue it. Of course I go on RFD later and see he's posted his receipt and that yes the page he printed out was Photoshopped to say in-stock instead of sold out. I was suspicious because I'd looked at it the day before and it was sold out then. I became more of a hardass after that.
So when do boxing day flyers usually leak?
Due to RedFlagDeals' partnership with the major stores (Future Shop and Best Buy mostly which is what I think most people are interested in), you won't be seeing them until less than a week before.

Fou-Lu

Well, seems a landslide towards getting Shadow of the Colossus and Ico. Question, was anything added to SotC in the upgrade? I mean I'm sure the graphics upgrade will be awesome, but I'd like something some more incentive to replay it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, seems a landslide towards getting Shadow of the Colossus and Ico. Question, was anything added to SotC in the upgrade? I mean I'm sure the graphics upgrade will be awesome, but I'd like something some more incentive to replay it.
Apparently it uses European difficulty settings (harder), but I don't know if that was intentional or accidental.

Hellish

Anyone know if there are usually good deals on Video Cards during Boxing Week? I wouldn't mind grabbing a GTX 560 for under $200 if I can find it. :p

shameless (not really lol) plug but if the AMD cards are as good as they say, I will have 2x GTX 480's for sale for around that price, 1 MSI & 1 Zotac AMP! Edition.

It's a disappointment after their last game, mostly because they turned it from an open-world game to a linear TPS.
I burned through it during the EB "Tradeback in 7 days" deal. It's a decent corridor shooter with some hints of it being a Red Faction game, but yeah, it's short (sub 10 hours), and it doesn't have a lot of variety like Guerilla, which was disappointing. I guess you can do a lot worst for $20, but unless you REALLY have nothing else at that price range.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
20$ isn't instant buy territory. Now, Blur and Split/Second at 5$, I don't regret, even if I hate them.

Firestorm

We have Sony and an Xbox store (Queen and Spadina), it's time Nintendo opened a World Store in Toronto.

By the way; not sure if it's running all week, but I noticed the majority of Pokemon toys at TRU was onsale when we picked up Mario cart. Picked up a couple nice plushies for $4.
Crap how did I miss this post. I could've checked it out when I picked up Mario Kart. Also I didn't know about the PlayStation and Xbox stores. I would have gone by when I was in Toronto :(

Personally I think the best fit for taking up all three floors would be Uniqlo, but the space is maybe even too big for that.

After seeing some of the malls in Asia (especially the 5-floor Forever21 in Singapore), a 3-floor Uniqlo would work. And that would be so awesome but only if they stocked more Asian style clothes like those awesome anime/video game graphic tees. Have you seen the European and US Uniqlo sites? It's basically the Gap. :(

So, can anyone confirm Rogers Plus is closing down? Its supposed to be starting on the 5th, right?

Yes it is. It's BOGO right now. Got a good selection of games, but don't try to profit by trade-in. In the end, you'll be making a loss. (trade in values SUCK!!)

Well, seems a landslide towards getting Shadow of the Colossus and Ico.

I vote for SotC too, but only by a margin. Uncharted series is by no means terrible. Uncharted 2 is by far the best of the series in terms of fun game-play, but Uncharted 3 had more incredible moments.

So as of today I still haven't received my pre-order of Cave Story 3DS from Best Buy. Even though I saw it in-store, their website still hasn't updated and it still mentions Dec. 31st as the release date. Sent them an e-mail so they get it fixed.

Hyunkel6

Not gaming related, but I figured this might be the best thread to ask. I've been thinking about giving netflix a try lately. However, the canadian selection is bad, really bad. Is there a way to get the US selection?

BadWolf

Not gaming related, but I figured this might be the best thread to ask. I've been thinking about giving netflix a try lately. However, the canadian selection is bad, really bad. Is there a way to get the US selection?

Yeah, there is I believe. I'm sure someone else will help out but if not I'll try to find the link when I get home, its a site that basically gives you access to the US side of things for like $5 or something. So you'll be paying $5+Netflix fee to get the US content.

Takao

Banned
You'd have to use one of those sketchy VPN services. I believe there's been a few threads on doing so in the OT.

DJ_Lae

Saints Row the Third arrived yesterday.

Checked back through my e-mails and it shipped on November 10th. I think that's about 18 business days. I know it's coming from the US, but I've made US Amazon orders before and they didn't take much more than a week and a half.

So yeah, I wouldn't recommend anyone order from THQ's online store with the cheapest shipping option (not that express is a better alternative, it's $20).

Really? That doesn't sound too bad to me. Usually it takes at least two weeks to a month for something to get shipped from US for me. Ok that's an exaggeration. Usually it takes two weeks or more but only one order took an entire month to be delivered. So my recommendation would be to not order something from the US.

Luigi87

That's a fantastic price for all 8 films on Blu-Ray, especially what with WB planning to pull a Disney with the series and stopping production by "vaulting" it.

ElNino

Really? That doesn't sound too bad to me. Usually it takes at least two weeks to a month for something to get shipped from US for me. Ok that's an exaggeration. Usually it takes two weeks or more but only one order took an entire month to be delivered. So my recommendation would be to not order something from the US.
I don't know about that. The last few items I have ordered from Amazon all came within a week after shipping. If you are getting something from California with the cheapest shipping, then yes it can sometimes take close to a month but I have noticed it taking far less than that lately.

frequency

Saints Row the Third arrived yesterday.

Checked back through my e-mails and it shipped on November 10th. I think that's about 18 business days. I know it's coming from the US, but I've made US Amazon orders before and they didn't take much more than a week and a half.

So yeah, I wouldn't recommend anyone order from THQ's online store with the cheapest shipping option (not that express is a better alternative, it's $20).
I'm not sure THQ is the issue here.
I think Canada Post has been pretty slow lately. Early holiday mail this year? I don't know.

I had some issues with some board game components. They sent me replacement pieces from Ontario. I'm in Manitoba. It took 32 days to arrive.

I don't know about that. The last few items I have ordered from Amazon all came within a week after shipping. If you are getting something from California with the cheapest shipping, then yes it can sometimes take close to a month but I have noticed it taking far less than that lately.
Well you are right the last thing I ordered got here within the week. Although It's still annoying that it's faster to get something shipped from Japan or Hong Kong than from US.

Big Chungus

So I bought Fifa 12 and Gears of War 3 from Rogers Video using the B1G1 free promo.

Question, when I finish Gears of War 3, can I trade it in at EBGames even if it has that silver Rogers Video sticker at the center of the disc?

Traded in Uncharted 3 at FS for $50 today. CSR didn't know anything about it. Had to show him the add then he looked it up and found a code to use.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is weird. I just had the notion that I might want to rent Skyrim this afternoon but with Rogers closing, um............ can you even rent games in Canada anymore? This is kinda fucked up.

I can't remember the last time I saw a mom n pop rental store that carried games... (Vancouver area btw)

This is why mail delivery rental places don't work for me: I don't want it later, I want it now. I'll be busy later. I don't think I'd even want to play it later... there's a moment of time now. And there's no way I would have planned ahead for today.... that's not how I would EVER rent. It's always on a whim.

Our society just went backwards. (I blame Harper, lulz)

Any options I'm not thinking of.....?

C-Jo

So I bought Fifa 12 and Gears of War 3 from Rogers Video using the B1G1 free promo.

Question, when I finish Gears of War 3, can I trade it in at EBGames even if it has that silver Rogers Video sticker at the center of the disc?
It's EB, so YMMV as always. But it shouldn't matter, used is used.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
This is weird. I just had the notion that I might want to rent Skyrim this afternoon but with Rogers closing, um............ can you even rent games in Canada anymore? This is kinda fucked up.

I can't remember the last time I saw a mom n pop rental store that carried games... (Vancouver area btw)

This is why mail delivery rental places don't work for me: I don't want it later, I want it now. I'll be busy later. I don't think I'd even want to play it later... there's a moment of time now. And there's no way I would have planned ahead for today.... that's not how I would EVER rent. It's always on a whim.

Our society just went backwards. (I blame Harper, lulz)

Any options I'm not thinking of.....?
Not all Rogers Plus stores are closing. There's a list at CAG of the ones that are.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310343

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom