• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did we ever get the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Limited Ed in Canada?
Yeah they did; some stores might still have the 360 version but the PS3 one should be long gone. I almost didn't even get my PS3 one as the Pacific Centre location messed up my pre-order... good thing the Metrotown store pulled through!

I've seen this thread deviate from strictly video game discussion a few times, so fuck it I'll just ask here. Just ignore me if I'm breaking the etiquette of this thread.

I'm a total noob to the world of smartphones and tablets. Educate a brotha please. Who has the best data plans in Canada? with what plans/hardware can you tether your phone to your tablet to avoid paying extra? android vs. ios? etc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've seen this thread deviate from strictly video game discussion a few times, so fuck it I'll just ask here. Just ignore me if I'm breaking the etiquette of this thread.

I'm a total noob to the world of smartphones and tablets. Educate a brotha please. Who has the best data plans in Canada? with what plans/hardware can you tether your phone to your tablet to avoid paying extra? android vs. ios? etc.
Rogers offers monthly "pay as you go" data plans for iPads/tablets. For phones, you're stuck with the typical phone + data plan from all carriers. You pay extra to tether, afaik.

Firestorm

Where do you live?

And of each OS, these are the best phones:

iOS: iPhone 4S
Android: Galaxy Nexus
Windows: Wait for a Lumia 800/900 or import a Focus S or HTC Titan. Canada blows for Windows Phone right now -.- Or grab a $200 Samsung Focus off Craigslist/Kijiji no contract
BlackBerry: Bold 9900

iOS and Android kinda default choices. Windows if you really want something interesting, sleek, well-designed, but can take a less mature app ecosystem. BlackBerry only if all your friends are on it BBMing and you feel left out and/or you can't live without a hardware keyboard (shouldn't be an issue if this is your first smartphone and you've only used T9 so far).

So my PS3 just died and I'm looking to just replace it with a new one. Am I better off waiting for Boxing Day, or are the deals out now the best it's going to get? As a third option, would I be allowed to price match with my receipt if I decide to pick one up and see it on sale during Boxing Day/week?

Price won't come down on boxing day but you'll be likely to get some sort of game add in for free. The games are usually of the $10 variety though.

Firestorm

Boxing Day is actually usually pretty good for console deals. They usually don't let you price protect on Boxing Day but you could just return with old receipt I assume? Although usually console deals include bundled games so it would be tricky. Also don't know if they track serial number for consoles.

Returners

Yeah they did; some stores might still have the 360 version but the PS3 one should be long gone. I almost didn't even get my PS3 one as the Pacific Centre location messed up my pre-order... good thing the Metrotown store pulled through!

sigh, too late now. I just settle for the normal edition then.

Where do you live?

Nova Scotia.

As far as I know we only have the major providers here (Telus, Bell, Rogers, Koodo and Fido I think)

I've done a bit of research and know I'm probably going with either iPhone 4s + iPad or Galaxy S2 + Galaxy tab. Just don't have the time to do really extensive research.

Firestorm

Nova Scotia.

As far as I know we only have the major providers here (Telus, Bell, Rogers, Koodo and Fido I think)

I've done a bit of research and know I'm probably going with either iPhone 4s + iPad or Galaxy S2 + Galaxy tab. Just don't have the time to do really extensive research.
As far as tablets go I really don't see any reason to get something that's not the iPad at that price... I've found Rogers Retentions to be the best of the 3 (it feels to me that the beginning plans are all terrible and it's really Retentions you need to consider). However, I know that coverage varies wildly between the three providers in the Maritimes and really anywhere in the country that isn't the largest 10 cities or so. Check a coverage map to make your decision. Also you can probably add Virgin Mobile to that list (Bell).

Edit: Actually looks like Rogers Retentions sucks now. And with Bell becoming more and more the go-to company for the top of the line phones these days, I think it's now hard to recommend Rogers. Kind of odd as they used to be the defacto choice just a few years ago. I seriously hate Bell and they are my pick for #1 worst company in Canada by far, but I think Virgin is the best choice from a very quick lookthrough of the providers.

Hellish

For cell phone plans I have noticed it is luck of the draw on who you talk to through retentions,

My plan is nuts but it took so much time in the rogers+ store and on the phone to get it

$35
500MB Data
Caller ID Name Display Voice Mail
2500 Texts Sent / Unlimited Recieved
200 Weekday Minutes
Free Weekends / Free After 6pm (Maybe 5?)

its a family plan though, and its free calling to my sister and parents anywhere in Canada

its $35 each

got an iphone with it as well so did my sister, parrents got the blackberries (fail)

For cell phone plans I have noticed it is luck of the draw on who you talk to through retentions,

My plan is nuts but it took so much time in the rogers+ store and on the phone to get it

$35
500MB Data
200 Weekday Minutes

its a family plan though, and its free calling to my sister and parents anywhere in Canada

its $35 each

got an iphone with it as well so did my sister, parrents got the blackberries (fail)

That is amazing. I need me a plan like that!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Where are you located, 6.8? If you're around Toronto, there's a Nintendo authorized repair shop in Scarborough. We had our Wii replaced there (transferred all data over, even though we had HBC all over it).
What about xenoblade?! D:

Anybody got a good deal for super mario 3D land?

Then if it's not good I can yell at EM. :}

MadFerIt

$35
500MB Data
200 Weekday Minutes

its $35 each

$40

Unlimited Canada/U.S. Calling
Unlimited International Messaging (Text/Picture)
Unlimited Data
Caller ID/Voicemail/etc

Nexus S (with Ice Cream Sandwich)
WIND, coverage keeps getting better and better.

$40

Unlimited Data
Caller ID/Voicemail/etc

ffs, how the hell did you manage to get that? Everything else I've been shopping for seems like an utter rip-off by comparison =(

unfortunately no Wind mobile yet in NS D'=

$40

Unlimited Data
Caller ID/Voicemail/etc

$29 gets you that with the exception of U.S. calling I think with WIND as well. They've been perfect for me.

Ondore

Eastlink's supposed to go live with cell service in Nova Scotia/PEI in the spring, but I don't know what their coverage is going to be like...

timnich

What's the best price for a 360? So far I think I'm going to go for the $250 bundle, but the bundled games aren't appealing to me at all. Is there better deal anywhere else, preferably not in a bundle?

Firestorm

Today's EB GotD is Metroid Other M for $10.
What's the best price for a 360? So far I think I'm going to go for the $250 bundle, but the bundled games aren't appealing to me at all. Is there better deal anywhere else, preferably not in a bundle?
360s always have deals on Boxing Day.

YMMV: Staples have a bunch of games on clearance: Managed to get one of the Professor Layton games for $10, Dragon Age 2 for $20, etc... Also to note, the stickered price is not the final price...

isny

napkin dispenser
YMMV: Staples have a bunch of games on clearance: Managed to get one of the Professor Layton games for $10, Dragon Age 2 for $20, etc... Also to note, the stickered price is not the final price...

Stooples clearance is always YMMV unfortunately as each store usually either hides stuff and doesn't shelf it, or doesn't give any additional discount off clearance items.

Worth it for 10 bucks? Only twenty minutes till the store close to me closes.

I personally consider anything sub $10 worth it. I'm sure you make more than $10 an hour, and you'll get more than an hour of fun out of the game, so it's worth a buy.

Anyone know if there are any good trade in deals on Modern Warfare 3? I am...not a fan, to say the least, and would like to know if it's a power trade or something. TIVS.ca says it's 40 bucks at EB but that's listed as a month out of date.

And....well, Futureshop trade ins are a mess at the best of times, so.

Maddog

Anyone know if there are any good trade in deals on Modern Warfare 3? I am...not a fan, to say the least, and would like to know if it's a power trade or something. TIVS.ca says it's 40 bucks at EB but that's listed as a month out of date.

And....well, Futureshop trade ins are a mess at the best of times, so.

Well they are giving $50 for it till Christmas.

Well they are giving $50 for it till Christmas.

I've never done a trade in at FS before. But based on the descriptions of the process in this thread and at places like CAG, it sounds like it's barely worth the effort. Talking to clueless clerks and juggling assorted BS. There is an FS not far from where I live, though. So maybe if it's the best option in the end, I could go there.

Firestorm

I've never done a trade in at FS before. But based on the descriptions of the process in this thread and at places like CAG, it sounds like it's barely worth the effort. Talking to clueless clerks and juggling assorted BS. There is an FS not far from where I live, though. So maybe if it's the best option in the end, I could go there.
I honestly haven't had an issue with Future Shop trades in a long time.

Anyone know where I can get just the cover art for the PS3 version of Modern Warfare 3 in Vancouver? I really want to trade it into FS but don't want to trade it with my Steelbook.
I am tempted to go print a scan off at kinkos or something but they can probably tell it's fake. :p

$40

Unlimited Data
Caller ID/Voicemail/etc

Wind... great deal, but it doesn't reach into my apartment. Trust me. I know.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone know where I can get just the cover art for the PS3 version of Modern Warfare 3 in Vancouver? I really want to trade it into FS but don't want to trade it with my Steelbook.
I am tempted to go print a scan off at kinkos or something but they can probably tell it's fake. :p
Huh, I thought the games came with the original case and the steelbook?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
$40

Unlimited Data
Caller ID/Voicemail/etc

I just switched my wife's plan on mobilicity.

27? + tax
unlimited local/txt/data
caller id/voicemail/etc

I'm stuck with fucking Bell for 50/mth...my box is so stretched by them -_-

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I got the hardened. :/
I have an extra case, but no cover art.
I wonder if they will let me trade in the giant hardened edition cardboard box though with no actual case inside. :p
Wait... what does the game come in if it doesn't have a case? How would people without the steelbook even trade it in if there's no case? Weird.

Oh wait, there's the hardened steelbook and then the Futureshop exclusive steelbook? So confusing!
Yup, the Hardened Edition is a Modern Warfare 3 Steelbook, whereas the Future Shop one is a free bonus Modern Warfare Collection Steelbook when you purchased the game during launch day (lined up).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom