• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This was posted in the weekly Princess Zelda thread on CAG, but Sears has all accessories off 50%. Finally got a PS Move... even if I have no games.

I just posted this on GameDealsCanada. Try your luck:

Ltd qty: Resistance 3: Doomsday Edition is $30 ($119 off) @ FutureShop - http://ow.ly/81JyJ - Check your store
Went in the morning to pick up my Harry Potter Steelbook shelf, the guy working there said the Doomsday Edition was a price error and won't be honoured. :/
Apparently they had over 100 in-store pickup requests. :p

Jermzic

I've also seen them at the Source, and I've heard someone else mention Shoppers Drug Mart, so I don't think they're that hard to find now, but they've only become available just recently. I guess Nintendo realized they better finally get the cards out in time for x-mas.

They have been available at Walmart for a few weeks now as well.

My assumption was that Alpha was saying the points card isn't taxed on purchase, so it's "taxed" when you buy the game through Nintendo's store.
What I described is what "should" happen. 360/Wii/DSi points are "imaginary dollars", so are charged tax upfront. PSN/3DS work like prepay cards, so no taxes should be charged on them.

If the cash charges you tax on PSN/3DS, you should complain; on the flipside, if they forget to charge you tax on 360/Wii/DSi cards, you can either play it honest, or walk away knowing you came out ahead.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What I described is what "should" happen. 360/Wii/DSi points are "imaginary dollars", so are charged tax upfront. PSN/3DS work like prepay cards, so no taxes should be charged on them.

If the cash charges you tax on PSN/3DS, you should complain; on the flipside, if they forget to charge you tax on 360/Wii/DSi cards, you can either play it honest, or walk away knowing you came out ahead.
The weird thing is that some 360 cards are sold as "money gift cards" and some are sold as points cards, and it all depends on whether they are activated at the register or not.

Speaking of which - if you were to set your Apple store location to AB, do you pay tax?

The weird thing is that some 360 cards are sold as "money gift cards" and some are sold as points cards, and it all depends on whether they are activated at the register or not.
Yup, I've noticed that too. My recent WalMart 360 point cards have all been tax free. I don't question it one bit.

Quick

Banned
So, I picked up a new PS3 today. Got the Uncharted 3 bundle (320GB PS3, Dualshock, Uncharted 3) for $180, and it came with 2 free games (MGS4 and God of War 3).

I traded in Skyrim and Modern Warfare 3 at Future Shop for $50 each (+tax), earlier this week, and they currently have the bundle at $249.99 rather than the usual $299.99. The 320GB by itself is still $299.99 though.

Happy day for me. :)

snack

So, I picked up a new PS3 today. Got the Uncharted 3 bundle (320GB PS3, Dualshock, Uncharted 3) for $180, and it came with 2 free games (MGS4 and God of War 3).

I traded in Skyrim and Modern Warfare 3 at Future Shop for $50 each (+tax), earlier this week, and they currently have the bundle at $249.99 rather than the usual $299.99. The 320GB by itself is still $299.99 though.

Sweet deal!

Lothars

I did the same which I am going to use as a gift but I got the PS3 move bundle for 230
Edit: I plan to pick up both uncharted and skyrim again on sale

Holy shit! How long is this deal good for?

Quick

Banned
I did the same which I am going to use as a gift but I got the PS3 move bundle for 230
Edit: I plan to pick up both uncharted and skyrim again on sale

I plan to pick up Skyrim and Modern Warfare 3 again when on sale.

Holy shit! How long is this deal good for?

Both trade-in deals ($50 each for Uncharted 3, Skyrim, and MW3) and the Uncharted 3 PS3 bundle go on until December 24th.

Zzoram

Anybody pre-ordering Final Fantasy XIII-2 at Futureshop for the metal case? Are the Futureshop exclusive metal cases any good?

Anybody pre-ordering Final Fantasy XIII-2 at Futureshop for the metal case? Are the Futureshop exclusive metal cases any good?

I did, but it was more of an excuse to use up my $10 off code from the Uncharted 3 shipping debacle than it was out of any love for the case. Though for the most part they are pretty good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I bought one of the Playstation 3D displays as a Christmas present for someone. It cost $399. I bought it at Future Shop, in-store. I'm virtually certain that they will have a better sale on them over Boxing Week, and I don't think they're the kind of item to be a door crasher so they should be price matchable / price protectable.

Anyone have experience with price protecting over the holidays?

In the event that it does go on sale, which of these do I do:

1) Don't open the box on the 25th, order a new one at the reduced price online, return original with receipt within return period.

2) Open gift as normal on 25th, Go to store with receipt on 28th or whenever customer service opens again, use price protection.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I bought one of the Playstation 3D displays as a Christmas present for someone. It cost $399. I bought it at Future Shop, in-store. I'm virtually certain that they will have a better sale on them over Boxing Week, and I don't think they're the kind of item to be a door crasher so they should be price matchable / price protectable.

Anyone have experience with price protecting over the holidays?

In the event that it does go on sale, which of these do I do:

1) Don't open the box on the 25th, order a new one at the reduced price online, return original with receipt within return period.

2) Open gift as normal on 25th, Go to store with receipt on 28th or whenever customer service opens again, use price protection.
They won't price protect stuff that's on sale for Boxing Day.

krae_man

Dammit! that's $1 cheaper then when I preordered them at E3. I want my Dollar dammit
I don't really care

Edit: Also LOL Uncharted is $49.99

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
They won't price protect stuff that's on sale for Boxing Day.

I just checked their return policy and they allow opened returns. So I guess worse case scenario is that I pack the thing back up, drive to Future Shop, pick up a new unopened one off the floor, return the opened one, and buy the unopened one. Which is pretty insane versus just doing a price protection :p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I just checked their return policy and they allow opened returns. So I guess worse case scenario is that I pack the thing back up, drive to Future Shop, pick up a new unopened one off the floor, return the opened one, and buy the unopened one. Which is pretty insane versus just doing a price protection :p
I'm pretty sure there's no returns during Boxing Week. You'll have to wait until January.

Edit: Also LOL Uncharted is $49.99
I love that my pre-order is almost 50% off that stupid price.

UberTag

The real problem with all of those $24.99 PSV games is that they're tracked against a silly December 2012 release date in Best Buy's system which means you're screwed if you try to place a pre-order with a credit card that boasts an expiration date that renews annually.

You could have a card that expires on November 2012 and your order will still be rejected by Best Buy's order system.

The real problem with all of those $24.99 PSV games is that they're tracked against a silly December 2012 release date in Best Buy's system which means you're screwed if you try to place a pre-order with a credit card that boasts an expiration date that renews annually.

You could have a card that expires on November 2012 and your order will still be rejected by Best Buy's order system.

My card expires December 2012 and it worked. And that would be the beginning of December I presume.

krae_man

My Credit Card expires in 2013!

I did, but it was more of an excuse to use up my $10 off code from the Uncharted 3 shipping debacle than it was out of any love for the case. Though for the most part they are pretty good.

Lol same here, I kind of wanted to get the game from EB instead for the DLC, but I had to use that $10! The steelbook should be good, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom