• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKyle07

I just checked their return policy and they allow opened returns. So I guess worse case scenario is that I pack the thing back up, drive to Future Shop, pick up a new unopened one off the floor, return the opened one, and buy the unopened one. Which is pretty insane versus just doing a price protection :p

Buy the second one and then return it with the receipt of the original.

frequency

I don't know if I was just lucky or what but a couple years ago I bought a TV that was on sale before Christmas. It was on sale again for an even lower price during boxing week. I went in with my original receipt and they refunded me back the difference.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know if I was just lucky or what but a couple years ago I bought a TV that was on sale before Christmas. It was on sale again for an even lower price during boxing week. I went in with my original receipt and they refunded me back the difference.
Well, there's really nothing stopping you from buying the TV then walking to the returns department with the TV and your old receipt and returning it. Presumably they're not going to be dicks about it.

Firestorm

Well, there's really nothing stopping you from buying the TV then walking to the returns department with the TV and your old receipt and returning it. Presumably they're not going to be dicks about it.
Aside from the returns department being closed on the 26th and 27th =P

Don't ask me how I know this, because I can't say, but Playstation 3D displays are going to be $299.99 at Best Buy for Boxing Day.

They will be. My bro works at FS and his friend a different FS that we were at today. And I think he said they would be on sale. Plus store employee's get an amazing discount on them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is it worth $300? I'm looking for a bedroom TV. I know it has no coax input, just for use with movies and games.
If you don't want 3d, you could probably find a better monitor for the same price. Probably Dell will have something during Boxing Week. If you do want 3d or the split screen thing, then it's probably not a bad bargain.

Is it worth $300? I'm looking for a bedroom TV. I know it has no coax input, just for use with movies and games.

Truth be told, I won a 3D display a couple weeks back (Which is good cause I couldn't afford one anyway). I'd say it's worth $399.99. $500 is a bit steep, but for what it is, I think it's great. So for $300, I'd say it's a steal!

If you don't want 3d, you could probably find a better monitor for the same price. Probably Dell will have something during Boxing Week. If you do want 3d or the split screen thing, then it's probably not a bad bargain.
How does the split screen thing work? I'm having a hard time understanding what it does.

Anth0ny

So I connected my Xbox to Xbox Live for the first time in about a year and it looks like there's a deal 1 month of Live Gold for $1? Is this a limited time thing or can I start it whenever?

Anyone want to try and guess the chances of walking into a Futureshop on tuesday morning and buying the Limited Edition copy of the The Old Republic?

Did anyone's Old Republic Collector's Edition ship from Future Shop yet? I am wondering if they will ship on Monday so that I can receive it on Tuesday (assuming they ship from their BC warehouse).

Maddog

So I connected my Xbox to Xbox Live for the first time in about a year and it looks like there's a deal 1 month of Live Gold for $1? Is this a limited time thing or can I start it whenever?

It's pretty much an ongoing promotion but you have to sell your soul to Microsoft.

I think Wal-Mart recently got a new wave of >$20 games, at least going by what I saw this weekend. Notably, Child of Eden (PS3) has already hit the bin. Going to pick it up I think pretty quick.

Blackhead

Redarse
A friend said I should ask
"why hasnt my account been approved yet"
*ahem* : is there a good games shop in Toronto with lots of import titles? Or is the GamesForCanada website the best option?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Imports from Japan? Pacific Mall, presumably? I don't know if the other places really deal with imports... the closest thing I saw was Game Centre at a copy of Kenzan a while ago.

soultron

Banned
Any other notable ones? I may jump over and check it out.

Yesterday I saw, among many, these titles:

Child of Eden 360
Saboteur PS3
Call of Juarez: BIB 360
Call of Juarez: The Cartel (The new one, if I got the title wrong) 360
LOTS of Move/Kinect titles (aside from the good stuff like Dance Central)
Splinter Cell Conviction 360
Assassin's Creed II PS3

As far as actual steal deals went, nothing impressive.

Greyvvolf

Yesterday I saw, among many, these titles:

Child of Eden 360
Saboteur PS3
Call of Juarez: BIB 360
Call of Juarez: The Cartel (The new one, if I got the title wrong) 360
LOTS of Move/Kinect titles (aside from the good stuff like Dance Central)
Splinter Cell Conviction 360
Assassin's Creed II PS3

As far as actual steal deals went, nothing impressive.

I saw Deathsmiles for $20 at my Walmart, going to have to pick that up next time.

I need to know a couple of important things:

What is the cheapest place to get a 3DS today through tomorrow, because I MIGHT be getting one from a friend, and I just need to let him know where the cheapest place is, depending on if he's fine with spending the money, the cheaper the better obviously.

Second, did Nintendo iron out the kinks on the Red one where the scratching issue happens when it's closed or something? I heard something about that. I'm just wondering if I should just continue to wait until the redesign (you know it's coming).

Or perhaps I'll got for the Zelda edition.

soultron

Banned
I saw Deathsmiles for $20 at my Walmart, going to have to pick that up next time.

Yeah, for 360! (I don't know if it's on PS3.)

It was harder to find at the Wal-Mart I was at. There were tonnes of copies of the titles I listed, but I only saw 1 copy of Deathsmiles.

Lots of PSP and DS stuff too, but I really wasn't paying any attention to those as I shuffled through for 360 stuff.

I need to know a couple of important things:

What is the cheapest place to get a 3DS today through tomorrow, because I MIGHT be getting one from a friend, and I just need to let him know where the cheapest place is, depending on if he's fine with spending the money, the cheaper the better obviously.

Second, did Nintendo iron out the kinks on the Red one where the scratching issue happens when it's closed or something? I heard something about that. I'm just wondering if I should just continue to wait until the redesign (you know it's coming).

Or perhaps I'll got for the Zelda edition.

Shopper's, $140.

Luigi87

Is this is okay to post here?

I have one remaining copy of Dead Island in my Steam inventory, that I'll sell for $10 CAD/ea via Paypal. Just pm.

krae_man

Walmart Boxing day Flyer is live

Highlights:

PS3 $199
16gb Playbook $198
3DS $138
4gb 360 Kinect Bundle $199
Kinect w/3 games $98

Shoppers is Live too

Arcade 360: $129
PS3: $199

Did anyone's Old Republic Collector's Edition ship from Future Shop yet? I am wondering if they will ship on Monday so that I can receive it on Tuesday (assuming they ship from their BC warehouse).

Nope. I also went and called CS this morning to ask where my game is and they told me it's on backorder. Yep I ordered on july24th and its on backorder for me now. smh futureshop, this will be the last game I ever order from them.

Is the Sony 3d tv worth it just as a stand alone hd tv? Or am I better off getting a dedicated hd display. I can probably get it for cheaper than 299 as I have a friend at best buy. It seems like too good of a deap to pass up really.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Is the Sony 3d tv worth it just as a stand alone hd tv? Or am I better off getting a dedicated hd display. I can probably get it for cheaper than 299 as I have a friend at best buy. It seems like too good of a deap to pass up really.
Well, it's a monitor, not a tv (no TV tuner), so no.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

It's apparently pretty terrible. And no you can't use it as a TV. Also there's no remote, you have to buy it separately. Oh, and the horrible glare.

It's apparently pretty terrible.

It's a good monitor and I've had no issues with it. I've gamed a lot on the device since it was released and used it as my monitor without any trouble.

It's not something I would recommend as a TV though. Too small.

SickBoy

Walmart Boxing day Flyer is live

Highlights:

PS3 $199
16gb Playbook $198
3DS $138
4gb 360 Kinect Bundle $199
Kinect w/3 games $98

Shoppers is Live too

Arcade 360: $129
PS3: $199

Yeah, so far the flyers aren't bad, but really nothing on the gaming front we haven't seen before in a non-Boxing Week environment. A little disappointing because places like Walmart have often/usually 1/2-priced their bargain bins (that said, do I really need more backlog?)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Do people still use the tuners in TVs? I figured everyone was using some form of external tuner (PVR, cable box, satellite, HTPC, etc).

One problem is that it only has three inputs; HDMI, HDMI, component. So if you have any legacy stuff, it won't hook up, and if you do hook up your cable box, that's one fewer input for gaming.

Apoc29

Do people still use the tuners in TVs? I figured everyone was using some form of external tuner (PVR, cable box, satellite, HTPC, etc).

You need a tuner in order to get HD channels over the air for free. Well, you have to buy or better yet make your own antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom