• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Jayhawk

So I went to buy the open box Fire Emblem 3DS bundle during a work break. I opened up the bundle and went through the 3DS setup process in store, plugged in behind their customer service counter. After further inspection, I discovered that Fire Emblem was supposed to come pre-installed but it wasn't in that open box for sale. I promptly returned the open box bundle. I asked them to check stock for the Fire Emblem bundle and there were none in stock in Ontario.

While driving back to work, I stopped by another Future Shop on the way and decided to buy...

1. Purple 3DS and $20 gift card for $140
2. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Limited Edition for 3DS
3. Splinter Cell: Blacklist Special Edition for PS3 (I have to pick up the free steelcase for it next week when they get more stock)
4. Bioshock Infinite for PS3 (needed a 3rd game for the 3 for $99 deal)
5. Fire Emblem: Awakening for 3DS for normal price of $40, $20 gift card applied from 3DS purchase applied to this.

The $30 Nintendo eShop credit for registering SMT4 and FE before the end of August were my motivations for buying today. Overall, I did get some discounts but not that great.

Lothars

I took advantage of the FS deal and wanted to get Madden 25 but they were sold out, so I picked up the Bureau, Saints Row 4 and Pikmin 3.

Okamid3n

Anyone here have an unused SMT4 code? I'll give you the 30$ credit.
Since I'm not planning to buy the game, I feel it's a waste to let my FE registration go unused. Problem is, I already registered FE long ago in my club Nintendo, so you'll have to trust that I'll give the credit after entering the code.

...the credit doesn't automatically go in your account, does it?

Jayhawk

I managed to find a buyer for the Splinter Cell: Special Edition from the Future Shop deal. He bought it for $33.33 + tax, so I'm happier now.

zroid

Banned
I went to Shoppers today for just a few minutes to buy some milk (which happened to be next door to a Future Shop), and when I got back to the car, someone had slipped an ad for FS' one-day sale on the windshield. :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone here have an unused SMT4 code? I'll give you the 30$ credit.
Since I'm not planning to buy the game, I feel it's a waste to let my FE registration go unused. Problem is, I already registered FE long ago in my club Nintendo, so you'll have to trust that I'll give the credit after entering the code.

...the credit doesn't automatically go in your account, does it?
No, you get a code on club nintendo. You might want to ask in that thread too.

Stat!

Honestly, Rogers should just **** off.

Despite using their student bundle for the last two years, because I didn't suspend my Rogers account for the summer (you know, because people use the internet during non-school months and amazingly, I was still giving them money despite sporadic internet use), I don't qualify for their cheaper student bundles.

How screwed up is that?

I basically don't qualify because I gave them more money. I either have to be a new account or suspend my account.

The funny part is? I didn't suspend my account last summer and still qualified for the student bundle last year.

Canada Gamers, what do you use for your internet? Is TekSavvy reliable?

Stat!

What was your Student Bundle and what are you looking to get?

Was $55 for Extreme (35 mps down/3 up) + an extra 80 GB (on top of the 120 for 200 GB) plus free modem rental.

The funny part is, I had already used the student bundle but never suspended my account the last time it ended 12-16 months ago.

I was able to get a deal and downgrade me internet in the end but its still much more expensive and its kinda ridiculous about not being eligible. And in the end, when I gave them the e-mail to my account, it was a student email.

On Tuesday when I called, I spent like 35-40 minutes on the phone with 4 people on hold for 75% of the time, and never got a solid answer. Today I did get a hold of someone knowledgable.

redhot_

Honestly, Rogers should just **** off.

Despite using their student bundle for the last two years, because I didn't suspend my Rogers account for the summer (you know, because people use the internet during non-school months and amazingly, I was still giving them money despite sporadic internet use), I don't qualify for their cheaper student bundles.

How screwed up is that?

I basically don't qualify because I gave them more money. I either have to be a new account or suspend my account.

The funny part is? I didn't suspend my account last summer and still qualified for the student bundle last year.

Canada Gamers, what do you use for your internet? Is TekSavvy reliable?

Honestly, Rogers lol.

I phoned to cancel because I was planning to switch to Start Communications. They ended up giving me unlimited bandwidth and a digital box for $39.99 along with a bunch if other little discounts. Just phone and bitch or threaten to cancel. Don't be rude about it, they don't have to do shit for you really.

That said iv heard good thing about Start. They do use Rogers lines though.

Telus is offering a student plan: 50mbps for $40 a month, one year. Plus you get a $50 visa card. You need a valid student ID though. They also offer lower prices for slower speeds:

Internet 6: $25, Internet 15: $25, Internet 25: $30, Internet 50: $40

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Is the new flyer for FutureShop available for viewing now?
The gaming stuff was posted in this thread on the last page. You'll have to wait a couple of more hours before you can see the entire thing on the FS website.

Sora_N

My dad wants to get a smartphone (recommended Nexus but he wants an Apple device I think) but not sure what would be the cheapest way to do it.

I suggested he sign up for a regular phone contract (he doesn't want data, or if he must get data he would want the lower data amounts) and then just switch the sim card over. Technically that would work right? As long as the phone is unlocked or the same provider.

I can't really think of another option, he doesn't want to pay $45 min per month plan just to have some data which he might not need.

Tapejara

Just got the EB Games ad, The Bureau: XCOM Declassified and Gears of War: Judgment will be $40 until September 6th and 5th, respectively.

BS57fAmCcAAqwYP.jpg

Sniper Elite V2 (Wii U) is $34.99 on Amazon (down form $59.99).

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00A8305EA/

Lexxism

So, SDM will have the 20x event again tomorrow. If only the official price drop of WiiU started last Wednesday, I can pick a WiiU already.

Btw, do FS/BB allow returns of unopened consoles within 30 days of purchase?

Ryne

Do you guys think we can still get the SMT4 LE in Ontario? I'm looking for it in around Brampton.

I put one on reservation at FS and hope to have it today.

trixx

My dad wants to get a smartphone (recommended Nexus but he wants an Apple device I think) but not sure what would be the cheapest way to do it.

I suggested he sign up for a regular phone contract (he doesn't want data, or if he must get data he would want the lower data amounts) and then just switch the sim card over. Technically that would work right? As long as the phone is unlocked or the same provider.

I can't really think of another option, he doesn't want to pay $45 min per month plan just to have some data which he might not need.

Then he should probably buy the phone serperately because usually when you get a smartphone they force you to get the data. Either that or get a phone from wind/mobilicity (never used these lines).

The Android interfaes easy to use but i think iOS much simpler. I'd say buy nexus 4 out right( i payed 100 cause of my fido dollars) or wait and check out the cheap iphone that's comming out soon. I would get the iphone for my dad for example because its just simpler for him to use, specs aren't important.

khaaan

Do you guys think we can still get the SMT4 LE in Ontario? I'm looking for it in around Brampton.

I put one on reservation at FS and hope to have it today.

Probably, try checking Toys R Us if you have one near you. I went a few weeks ago now but they had stacks of em.

Holy shit, anyone at around King & Dufferin Toronto/CNE and hearing these jets? Is this a show at the CNE? I'm near the intersection and it can wake the dead. o_O

There's this air show apparently around the CNE, not sure if it's today and now. o_O

Sounds fucking freaky.

Anyone has any experience with Office 2011 for Mac? Is it good? I bought my Macbook Pro for music producing but I will also use it to take notes in school and I am not sure which program to use. I see Pages from iWork is cheap, just not sure if I will run into problems converting to .doc and sending to teachers or other students who will then open them with office.

Thanks for the help!

Another fruitless day of looking for PayDay 2 for the 360. Between this and the awkward "apparent" Live purchasing outtage the service person from Microsoft told me about, I'm not sure I'll ever play it.

jred2k

Its been a few years since I've looked at them, but I hadn't realized what a joke the mp3 player market has become. Most places seem to only sell iPods for anything over 8GB and iPods are ridiculously priced. Are there any decent mp3 players out there, maybe with expandable memory, for a decent price? I'm just looking for something that can sit in my car and be connected to the radio at all times, no way am I spending $300 on that.

isny

napkin dispenser
Hmm...with the 20x points...and the 30% off coupon...I may actually buy a wii-u.

$299.99-30%=$209 plus 41k in points, so at least $60 worth of points, or more like $75 with bonus redemption...so $250 taxes in, and $60-$75 worth of points.

Tempting...but...why couldn't the price drop have already happened...sigh :(

dream

Anyone has any experience with Office 2011 for Mac? Is it good? I bought my Macbook Pro for music producing but I will also use it to take notes in school and I am not sure which program to use. I see Pages from iWork is cheap, just not sure if I will run into problems converting to .doc and sending to teachers or other students who will then open them with office.

Thanks for the help!

Office 2011 is fine, but perpetually a step behind the Windows version in terms of design and featureset.

Pages is cheap and good, and I've never had any problems creating or opening .docx files with it. If I were in your position, I'd probably go with Pages and save some money unless you can get an exceptional deal on Office 2011 (i.e., if you qualify for something like http://microsofthup.com/).

Fularu

Banned
Its been a few years since I've looked at them, but I hadn't realized what a joke the mp3 player market has become. Most places seem to only sell iPods for anything over 8GB and iPods are ridiculously priced. Are there any decent mp3 players out there, maybe with expandable memory, for a decent price? I'm just looking for something that can sit in my car and be connected to the radio at all times, no way am I spending $300 on that.
http://m.newegg.ca/Product/ProductSpecification.aspx?Item=N82E16855125184CVF

Madouu

I used to like Cowon's media players a lot. They were my go to alternative to ipods a few years ago but the age of smartphone has come and it hurt them a lot. They're pretty hard to find now.

There's this http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=67328&vpn=I10-16WH&manufacture=Cowon%20America&promoid=1299. It's a model from about three years ago but it has great audio and supports all kind of file formats (flac included). The interface takes a bit of time getting used to though.

I was checking out the list of titles for Future Shop/Best Buy's trade 2 for $60 gift card promo, who's creating these lists?

Splinter cell isn't on it, which is one of the ones I was going to trade. But games like Walking Dead Survival Instinct, Dark, and Remember Me are still there. Why the fuck wouldn't Splinter Cell Be included?

kurahadol

Did you get any of the coupons a few weeks back? I'm fairly certain they aren't unique, so I could probably scan one for ya.
I'd be interested in one of those coupons, was thinking about grabbing a Vita tomorrow as well. If it's not too much trouble.

Ondore

I was checking out the list of titles for Future Shop/Best Buy's trade 2 for $60 gift card promo, who's creating these lists?

Splinter cell isn't on it, which is one of the ones I was going to trade. But games like Walking Dead Survival Instinct, Dark, and Remember Me are still there. Why the fuck wouldn't Splinter Cell Be included?

Well, the WiiU version of Blacklist is there.

Other oddities: No Mario and Luigi but Sticker Star is *still* there, no SMTIV.

Well, the WiiU version of Blacklist is there.

Other oddities: No Mario and Luigi but Sticker Star is *still* there, no SMTIV.

I wonder if I point out that the Wii U version is there, they would trade it. Probably depends on the competency of the employee.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So, SDM will have the 20x event again tomorrow. If only the official price drop of WiiU started last Wednesday, I can pick a WiiU already.

Btw, do FS/BB allow returns of unopened consoles within 30 days of purchase?
Yeah, you can return unopened consoles within 30 days.

Mupod

Hm, the Future Shop sale price on the 3DS applies the $20 gift card as credit during checkout if you order it online. So it comes to $120 +tax, not a bad deal there and sure beats having to drive through hell to go pick one up.

The deal I made with my little brother was if he helps out with dishes and such every day I'd pay the difference between his $140 birthday money and the cost of a 3DS + pokemon Y, between this and the best buy preorder deal it's only costing me $25. Maybe I should throw in another game, ha

rinse82

I'm sitting here staring at my PS VITA Instant Game Collection edition and debating if I should keep or not.

Got in on the $199 Wal-Mart deal that included the PS Plus membership. I'm getting a PS4 so figured it was worth it for the PS Plus alone.

Worried that it'll just collect dust though.

Has anybody pre ordered an xbox one in store at best buy? I just did it yesterday and noticed that it didn't say Day One edition on my receipt. Does anyone have Day One edition printed on their receipts?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Is there a list anywhere of any places that might be doing a midnight release of GTA5 in Ontario?

I can't find a thing and I'd assume there has to be a few places in and around Toronto that would be doing it.

Top Bottom