• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

ohlawd

Goddamn it, no clear winner between the 3DS and the XL? No wonder I'm still holding out buying one...

XL wins. Sweet spot for 3D is harder to hit but who cares? One of those systems has corners so sharp I could cut carrots with them. And if I can cut fucking carrots with them then how about your fucking hands?

Your hands will thank you. Get the XL.

Vamphuntr

XL wins. Sweet spot for 3D is harder to hit but who cares? One of those systems has corners so sharp I could cut carrots with them. And if I can cut fucking carrots with them then how about your fucking hands?

Your hands will thank you. Get the XL.

I have an original flaming red 3DS and the corner aren't sharp at all... Please show me how to cut carrots with it then.

big_z

I don't understand why everyone says the 3ds has sharp corners or is hard to hold. It's basically a dslite in size and design. I thought people loved that design.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't understand why everyone says the 3ds has sharp corners or is hard to hold. It's basically a dslite in size and design. I thought people loved that design.
It's good as long as you don't want to use the d-pad. Once you do, that's where the problems lies.

ohlawd

I have an original flaming red 3DS and the corner aren't sharp at all... Please show me how to cut carrots with it then.

>_>

The corners of the OG 3DS cut into the palms of my hand. Hurts after a while.

The Lite and DSi didn't have great corners either but those didn't hurt, probably because they were tons lighter than the OG 3DS.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The only case I would recommend the OG model would be if you're going to carry it on your pockets, doing that with the XL is uncomfortable as fuck. I have a case for the XL that I carry in my backpack so for me it's not a biggie though.

Hilti92

Caught the end of Optimum day and it feels great. Bought a mini fridge (3.2 cubic ft.) for $99, regular $150 and got a shit tonne of points. Gotta love it. Double redemption day will be glorious.

Sora_N

So...... Is an airmiles card worth getting? Strange question, I know.

It's free.

If you shop at the stores that offer it, it doesn't hurt. The main one is Safeway. Rona, Toys 'R Us and Staples also takes it. If you drive, Shell also does points.

I know since my gf went crazy about it before.

Sora_N

Goddamn it, no clear winner between the 3DS and the XL? No wonder I'm still holding out buying one...

Honestly, though I have no hatred for the OG 3DS (still use mine). I would still just get the XL unless you wanted a smaller system.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Picked up a Vita from Shoppers today and got $60 worth of Optimum points. Might as well save them up for a Bonus Redemption day so they`re worth even more. Now to get a 32GB card from somewhere for under MSRP...

As for the 3DS vs XL debate: definitely go with the XL. I could never go back to the 3DS. While it does have some perks, its far too uncomfortable to use during extended sessions, especially when you have to hold it with one hand for touchscreen based games like Theatrhythm and Kid Icarus: Uprising. If you`re still on the fence, just compare the two side by side. The XL screen absolutely dwarfs the regular 3DS.

trixx

So anyone know whats going on with future shop e.3 deal for wind waker HD? Will the price be cut 33% off the original placeholder price of $59.99 or the actual retail price of $49.99? Can you switch on of the e3 promo games for another?

So anyone know whats going on with future shop e.3 deal for wind waker HD? Will the price be cut 33% off the original placeholder price of $59.99 or the actual retail price of $49.99? Can you switch on of the e3 promo games for another?

You had me looking at my orders again and I realized that even after I called them and asked them to axe the copy of Windwaker that they replaced unnamed Zelda Wii U with, I've still got both copies on order. Guess I'm gonna be giving them a call either way, might ask about the price.

zroid

Banned
Seems things are looking positive for EB getting the Wind Waker LE, in which case I might not even bother calling FS to try and have my price adjusted. Need that Gaaaaaanoonnnnnn.

Fuzzy

Seems things are looking positive for EB getting the Wind Waker LE, in which case I might not even bother calling FS to try and have my price adjusted. Need that Gaaaaaanoonnnnnn.
Looking positive? Have they mentioned anything else other than the one tweet where they said they were looking into it?

zroid

Banned
Looking positive? Have they mentioned anything else other than the one tweet where they said they were looking into it?

I think someone in the news thread said the EB stores are starting to be informed of the product from the higher-ups, although it's not yet listed in their database. Probably a sign that something's in motion... or maybe wishful thinking. ;<

ohlawd

I think someone in the news thread said the EB stores are starting to be informed of the product from the higher-ups, although it's not yet listed in their database. Probably a sign that something's in motion... or maybe wishful thinking. ;<

yeh no man I want something definitive. Do you understand me, bruh?!

I don't wanna hit up EB to preorder MG then the next day they announce they got the Ganon figure up so I gotta go there again. I don't even like going to EB!

edit: different topic. I checked out that Pokemon NFC thread and I wanted to get figures cuz they looked nice. Found out Canada doesn't get these babies? FUCK THIS COUNTRY.

i-Jest

I personally doubt that I'll be able to find a ZombiU deluxe console at BB or FS [I saw one recently around Toronto, but I live in Saskatoon duh], but I think if other stores drop the price to $300, it's a better deal than the WW edition. Though this year I guess I'll just get the 3DS.

Bin waiting for the price drop on this bundle. Can I assume other retailers carrying the bundle will follow suite?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The day when changing shipping address or payment details on an existing order on futureshop.ca won't result in an "your order can't be processed" error will be a glorious day.

Maximus.

The 3DS XL is far superior to the Og 3DS. The screens resolution is barely noticeable when I compared then side by side. The XL is way more comfortable to hold and play on. I do agree the OG colors are sexy, but the bigger screens and comfort is worth it.

Lexxism

Picked up a Vita from Shoppers today and got $60 worth of Optimum points. Might as well save them up for a Bonus Redemption day so they`re worth even more. Now to get a 32GB card from somewhere for under MSRP...

What bundle did you get from SDM?

zroid

Banned
Looks like 10% off all games is back for FS' and BB's Labour Day sales. It's been a while since we've had one of those.

Palehorse

The XL was a must have upgrade for me. I don't usually jump on new hardware revisions, playing on a fat DS for years. But the XL was so much better for me: my hands didn't get cramped after holding it for a while, the screen is nice and big and the better battery life all spelled win.

Mind you, I did grab my XL when it launched with the trade in deal at FS. If I'd had to pay full price I probably would still have the OG.

Fuzzy

Looks like 10% off all games is back for FS' and BB's Labour Day sales. It's been a while since we've had one of those.
Yeah, nothing to get excited about.

BB:

> Take 10% off all video games
*Excludes used games

> Take 20% off all used games

> Take 10% off all Xbox 360 accessories
*Excludes time cards

> Take 10% off all PS3 accessories
*Excludes time cards

zroid

Banned
Not a bad way to get a little discount on certain niche/low-print games like Rune Factory 4, though, which weren't eligible during the E3 deals. Unfortunately Ys Celceta still isn't available.

Etrian Odyssey Untold is there too.

X-Factor

The speakers and sound quality on the original 3DS is a lot better than the XL though.

The 3DS XL is far superior to the Og 3DS. The screens resolution is barely noticeable when I compared then side by side. The XL is way more comfortable to hold and play on. I do agree the OG colors are sexy, but the bigger screens and comfort is worth it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I thought about getting one during it but they only had the regular Vita. :(

Good enough I say. The PS+ bundle is sold out everywhere, CoD Declassified sucks, most people already own Walking Dead on other systems and a 4GB card is worthless for PS+ subscribers.

Ondore

Depending on the TIV for Assassin's Creed Liberation, that might be the one to go with. It's the one I'm probably grabbing Thursday.

Bronetta

Depending on the TIV for Assassin's Creed Liberation, that might be the one to go with. It's the one I'm probably grabbing Thursday.

You won't get a game case for AC:L with the bundle though.

Sober

3DS XL all the way, and The Blessed Unrest was pretty good I thought.
The second gaffer to have something to say about the new SB album :)

Guessing I don't need to wait on a 3DS XL to go on sale anytime soon though, yeah? Just throw the 200 bucks at someone and get some games?

This isn't a deal question, but I'm about to buy a used Deluxe Wii U for $200. I'm wondering if I can still use the DDP promotion on a used console.

The day when changing shipping address or payment details on an existing order on futureshop.ca won't result in an "your order can't be processed" error will be a glorious day.

Just keep trying. It's definitely a glitch in their site, but if you try a couple times it'll go through. It's really sketchy though, I agree.

Fuzzy

This isn't a deal question, but I'm about to buy a used Deluxe Wii U for $200. I'm wondering if I can still use the DDP promotion on a used console.
https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/static.do?dispatch=dispNotLogin&screenId=NNP-WC0002

Reading that it seems like it isn't a problem because each NNID on a Wii U will accumulate their own points in the DDP promotion completely separate from other NNID's on the console. I'd call Nintendo to make sure though.

All Nintendo Network IDs that are created on a Wii U Deluxe Set can participate in this service.

&#12539;If different Nintendo Network IDs are used to buy games and content at the Nintendo eShop on a single Wii U Deluxe Set, points will be earned for each individual purchase on the specific Nintendo Network ID that was used to make that purchase. After points are earned on a Network account ID, they cannot be transferred or combined with points on a different Network ID.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Just keep trying. It's definitely a glitch in their site, but if you try a couple times it'll go through. It's really sketchy though, I agree.

I tried like 4 times on separate dates, I just called now. already come to terms with the fact that I definitely won't get Rome 2 on time since that comes out tomorrow and it won't let me change my credit card :lol

Fuzzy

I tried like 4 times on separate dates, I just called now. already come to terms with the fact that I definitely won't get Rome 2 on time since that comes out tomorrow and it won't let me change my credit card :lol
You're supposed to try right away until it works. It's like when you try to look at your orders and it says it's not available at this time, F5 a couple of times and it works. Their site sucks ass.

Are there any stores in Canada doing the next gen upgrade promotion for Call of Duty? With the whole being able to transfer your character between consoles, I figure might as well get the extra couple weeks playtime in before PS4 version launches

Stoffinator

Are there any stores in Canada doing the next gen upgrade promotion for Call of Duty? With the whole being able to transfer your character between consoles, I figure might as well get the extra couple weeks playtime in before PS4 version launches

Isn't that upgrade digital only?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's two upgrades. The official ones sponsored by the console holders and the ones FS/EB are doing because they want cheap copies of new games to sell to people who aren't going next gen. lol

Top Bottom