• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

What's the dealio on amazon.com vs amazon.ca orders here in Canada? (specifically Toronto)

Something I want is $89 US on amazon.com and $115 CDN on amazon.ca. Meanwhile, on XE.com...

"89.00 USD = 91.6590 CAD"

How's shipping to Ontario via Amazon.com? It's more viable to do that than order from amazon.ca, right?

Try ordering it. Before you complete the order, it'll tell you what the shipping costs and the import duties deposit are, assuming Amazon.com is selling the item and not a third-party seller (in which case, you won't see anything for import duties, which means you might have to pay them on delivery plus the $5 Canada Post customs checking fee). There's no single answer to your question, but consider that a) your credit card company is likely to give you a slightly worse exchange rate just because, b) you'll probably have to pay at least $5 for shipping, and c) the import duties are up in the air if it's a marketplace seller. On the flipside, you won't be paying tax upfront if you go through Amazon.com.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Amazon.ca has the Pokemon X/Y strategy guide for $16.20 while its $23 everywhere else. Not the hottest deal around but decent if you were planning on picking it up.

http://www.amazon.ca/Pokemon-Official-Region-Guidebook-Strategy/dp/0804161992/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380953361&sr=8-2&keywords=pokemon

Also includes a super effective
cleaning cloth

It's 17.50 on chapters... before membership discounts. Just fyi. It's not 23 everywhere else. :p which means that after chapter's free shipping, it's actually cheaper than amazon.ca

espher

I've been quite happy with Amazon.ca... provided they have the items I want in their inventory.

Four or five years ago, different story altogether.

Ondore

The eShop and that's it. I don't think they'd do a midnight launch for something perceived as a "kid's game", deserved or not.

Mr. F

Banned
I've been quite happy with Amazon.ca... provided they have the items I want in their inventory.

For sure. It'll likely never reach parity with the American counterpart, but it's slowly getting better as time goes on.

Amazon.ca will always be in my good books ever since they shipped me a Vita 2 weeks before launch!
Greatest screw up ever.

If anyone got the Zelda Wii U bundle but decided on the retail version and has the code to spare, would you be fine selling it for $20?

I see your crazy and raise you:

a physical copy of Zelda Windwaker HD Wii U for a mint, original run copy of Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii.

PM me. (You pay both sets of shipping)

OH AND BY THE WAY MY TWO COPIES OF WINDWAKER HD HAVE SHIPPED GAF!!! THEY'VE SHIPPED! DIDN'T EVERYONE WANT TO KNOW THAT?!!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I see your crazy and raise you:

a physical copy of Zelda Wii U for a mint, original run copy of Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii.

PM me. (You pay both sets of shipping)
Oh, too bad, my copy of Xenoblade is signed by the staff. I guess I'll just go break it in half now.

I'm a hunter of bargains lol I usually don't buy games until their $20 or lower, saves SO much and I don't mind the wait, usually pays off royally.

Recently I was actually planning on buying Lego City but had trouble finding a cheaper option... THEN magically at the perfect time the SDM $20 deal pops up, heaven. XD

Last game I bought at full price was Xenoblade Chronicles, worth it of course. XD Before that... Kirby's Return to Dreamland and before that Sonic Colors Wii.

Once a year basically LOL, this year will be Sonic Lost World Wii U, already got a $60 trade-in-card at Best Buy loaded and ready. XD Hell does it even count since I traded in $33 worth of games (JD4 Wii U $15 PM:SS $18) for it? XD

zroid

Banned
Will it just be a bunch of Pokemon fans or will Nintendo be there too? I would definitely go if Nintendo is going to be there.

Yes these events are being hosted by Nintendo. I don't think there will be XY demo stations except in Toronto, but there will be giveaways and stuff.

edit: beaten with a Quick Ball

Razdek

Banned
Tales of Xillia is $40 at FS for the next week starting Friday, hmmm.....

Bought this game over the weekend and about 10 hours into it but this game isn't good. I loved Tales of Vesperia but this game isn't clicking with me. Not sure if I'm going to keep playing it or just let it sit in my PS3 collection.

Question about ordering from Best Buy: I seem to have gotten CoDGhost for French version, any idea if it's too late for me to undo that somehow?

parasight

Does anyone know how Future Shop deals with shipping weekend releases? Will I end up getting my Pokemon on Monday instead of Saturday, because the post office isn't open?

RE_Player

Does anyone know how Future Shop deals with shipping weekend releases? Will I end up getting my Pokemon on Monday instead of Saturday, because the post office isn't open?

That has been my experience with weekend releases and most Canadian retailers, including Futureshop. Sometimes they ship early and you may get it on friday, I did get Pikmin 3 on friday instead of sunday, but I think that is a rare exception.

zroid

Banned

You'll get it on Tuesday, lol. Yay, Thanksgiving!

Or you might get it on Friday if FS takes pity on us and ships it early.

Any chances I will be able to get my hands on a PS4 this year if I didn't pre-order it? I live in Caledon On, but I can search the GTA area for one :(

Madouu

Where do you guys get your pc parts? I'd rather not order outside of Canada

Canada Computers has a good selection and often competitive prices. Newegg.ca and Amazon are other options. These I use for small pick ups.

Else, I generally go to shopbot.ca, look for the lowest price for the item I'm buying and proceed to price match with NCIX.

Luigi87

Possible of getting it Friday, but also a slim chance.
Also, we are not in luck, as we won't get it until Tuesday if Friday doesn't work out, as Monday is Thanksgiving.

zeitgeist

So did anyone pull the trigger on the $99.99 Pulse elites?

Thinking of grabbing a pair today, any thoughts?

EDIT: and does it do 5.1/7.1 surround for movies too?

trixx

I still haven't received my Wind Waker HD which released October 4th? I also received Pikmin 3 late, so likely means that we will get it on Tuesday because of Thanksgiving =/,

Does anyone know if we can go to the post office and pick it up if they have it in on Saturday? If not this will suck

iphys

There's no way you'll be able to pick it up from the post office till it's been processed at the local delivery centre and sent out for delivery, so I doubt anyone will get Pokemon before Tuesday. I don't imagine FS will send this one out early enough to get it Friday with Nintendo being so paranoid about the street date for it.

I hate Nintendo's new Friday and Saturday release dates even more than Sundays. My Wind Waker got to town Friday morning, got processed for delivery last night, yet it's still not even out for delivery today, so I'm starting to suspect I won't actually get it till tomorrow. Why can't Nintendo just do Tuesday releases like everyone else?

Gotta say, I'm really glad that I picked most of my wanted games from the Futureshop E3 promo. It's kind of nice just knowing that these games will just trickle in right to my door over the next year or so. I don't even mind the fact that I'm getting them a little late on average. Currently waiting on Windwaker HD and Beyond; Two Souls which are in transit.

I'll definitely be partaking next year if they offer it again.

Any chances I will be able to get my hands on a PS4 this year if I didn't pre-order it? I live in Caledon On, but I can search the GTA area for one :(

Of course. Just wait in line at Best Buy or Wal-mart.

No store is going to preorder 100% of their stock, they still want people to be able to buy one.

One like this?

I'm currently using a 2x2 matrix switch to shuffle inputs between two different TVs, but I need more inputs now that I have a WiiU. A nice simple switch like that would be great.

I also have a bigger Monoprice switch but it would be overkill for that application.

Yup, that one exactly! I feel like I paid a little less, but that's still dirt cheap. For what it needs to do, that product works perfectly.

DJ_Lae

Yup, that one exactly! I feel like I paid a little less, but that's still dirt cheap. For what it needs to do, that product works perfectly.

I ordered one from another seller - $5.20 with free shipping.

Hopefully it works without issue combined with my matrix switch. I suspect the auto-switching might get a bit weird.

Mode8

Banned
I lived in Canada for a few years and completely agree. I would even import Amazon stuff from the US because it was cheaper even after shipping (or just available, period.)

I had to proxy my Netflix streaming because Canadian Netflix was so lame. Do Canadians just take whatever is spoonfed and not complain?

Lexxism

I ordered one from another seller - $5.20 with free shipping.

Hopefully it works without issue combined with my matrix switch. I suspect the auto-switching might get a bit weird.

One like this?

I'm currently using a 2x2 matrix switch to shuffle inputs between two different TVs, but I need more inputs now that I have a WiiU. A nice simple switch like that would be great.

I also have a bigger Monoprice switch but it would be overkill for that application.

Oh. Thanks for this one. I'm also looking for this. I ordered the cheapest one and estimated delivery is Nov 1 to 20. (Guess can't complain with free shipping) :lol

I lived in Canada for a few years and completely agree. I would even import Amazon stuff from the US because it was cheaper even after shipping (or just available, period.)

I had to proxy my Netflix streaming because Canadian Netflix was so lame. Do Canadians just take whatever is spoonfed and not complain?

Mostly haha. It's not really a matter of complaining. The Netflix thing has to do more with contracts and distribution rights than just shafting Canadians. And Amazon especially, it makes sense that it's inferior. Amazon as a company would cost a metric shit ton of money to run, and Canada has a fraction of the population spanning a larger area than the US. So even if it was the same as US Amazon, it would crumble because not nearly as many people would use it.

As a Canadian, I feel more shafted by things like shitty ripoff options for internet and cell phone plans compared to other countries than I do about a smaller selection at Amazon.

Dazzler

As someone who moved here from Europe a few years ago it's insane how many things you guys get the shaft on.

Cell phone charges (mind-bogglingly expensive)
Flight tickets

Even staples like chicken and milk are ridic

Still love the place, though

DaBoss

Mostly haha. It's not really a matter of complaining. The Netflix thing has to do more with contracts and distribution rights than just shafting Canadians. And Amazon especially, it makes sense that it's inferior. Amazon as a company would cost a metric shit ton of money to run, and Canada has a fraction of the population spanning a larger area than the US. So even if it was the same as US Amazon, it would crumble because not nearly as many people would use it.

As a Canadian, I feel more shafted by things like shitty ripoff options for internet and cell phone plans compared to other countries than I do about a smaller selection at Amazon.
Exactly. It pisses me off to no end how ridiculous Internet and cellphone plans are compared to other developed countries.

Top Bottom